• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guess Atlus USA's next game reveal

B.K.

Oh and the voice acting in the US version of P2 IS is really atrocious. The localization is great but the voices are really bad. Maya's voice is terrible and Sasaki's (the manager of the idols) voice made me roll on the floor laughing.

That's too bad. I haven't played Innocent Sin yet. It's still on my shelf sealed. Maybe they'll recast the characters when/if they do Eternal Punishment for PSP and/or Vita.

Vamphuntr

That's more of a stylistic choice though, same with Half Minute Hero. It's possible SCEA doesn't discriminate, but I wouldn't be surprised if they recognized the difference. Not that we'll know for sure at any rate, GrowV tanking's probably enough justification anyway with IV being long enough after its release.

It's still doesn't push the PSP hardware stylistic choice or not. AFAIK The only games SCEA blocked were the PSone ports with no new content like BoF III and Tales of Eternia (which were accepted by SCEE). SE was able to make their psp ports by adding new cutscenes, having a new localization and adding items, quests, characters and so on.

Both Growlanser games have new content and they weren't localized in the first place.

And really I don't agree that Grow I looks bad. These are some shots I took of the first game on Psone and I wouldn't say they were so bad they would be rejected. That's silly, especially since NIS is able to flood the market with their titles.

V6elY.jpg
mttzx.jpg
9ADye.jpg

It was published by Sony in Japan!

They were afraid the US branch would reject it!!!!
they were scared it would bomb hard

vireland

It's still doesn't push the PSP hardware stylistic choice or not. AFAIK The only games SCEA blocked were the PSone ports with no new content like BoF III and Tales of Eternia (which were accepted by SCEE). SE was able to make their psp ports by adding new cutscenes, having a new localization and adding items, quests, characters and so on.

Both Growlanser games have new content and they weren't localized in the first place.

And really I don't agree that Grow I looks bad. These are some shots I took of the first game on Psone and I wouldn't say they were so bad they would be rejected. That's silly, especially since NIS is able to flood the market with their titles.

V6elY.jpg
mttzx.jpg
9ADye.jpg

Europe is a special case because there's a free trade agreement with Japan. That's one reason they're a lot more...accepting of titles over there. They can't deny them unless there's a physical reason they won't work (catastrophic bugs, etc).

There's no such Japan free trade agreement with the US, so what does and doesn't get approved is much more uneven due to personal/company relationships and the various account managers. (Love your choice for the middle screen - brings back memories!)

Eusis

Growlanser 1 looks really great. The zoomed out overworld stuff is a bit iffy, but that's all.
That's the stuff I was referring to, when the view is zoomed in it looks pretty nice to me, and not really that different from some other stuff that came out on the system. And admittedly I don't know how much IS zoomed out, I'm assuming a large chunk though just because it's the overworld exploration.

As for IS's dub: What I played was inline with how most dubs have been for the last few years, or so I thought. Take of that as you will, though I'll miss some of the EP voices.

Vamphuntr

Europe is a special case because there's a free trade agreement with Japan. That's one reason they're a lot more...accepting of titles over there. They can't deny them unless there's a physical reason they won't work (catastrophic bugs, etc).

There's no such free trade agreement with the US, so what does and doesn't get approved is much more uneven due to personal/company relationships and the various account managers. (Love your choice for the middle screen - brings back memories!)

That's interesting information and it's nice to get your insight about this. You really had issues with them on that front :( . I guess that would explain why you had so much troubles bringing Growlanser II and III (among other games) here when games that looked the same, if not worse, were accepted.

Eusis

I thought the current rumor was that SCEA is approving pretty much anything for the PSP for the time being.
The whole 'rejected by SCEA!' angle is entirely dependent on whether they still enforced this in 2009 or not. I imagine most likely a policy change would've been in the last year, now 2+ years ago when they were still more seriously pushing the system.

Of course, after what was put up with IS's quest system it really wouldn't surprise me if there was the more simple "it's a programming nightmare!" reason if it's anything beyond "we didn't think it'd sell well enough". Actually, come to think of it how VA heavy IS the game?

cj_iwakura

That's the stuff I was referring to, when the view is zoomed in it looks pretty nice to me, and not really that different from some other stuff that came out on the system. And admittedly I don't know how much IS zoomed out, I'm assuming a large chunk though just because it's the overworld exploration.

As for IS's dub: What I played was inline with how most dubs have been for the last few years, or so I thought. Take of that as you will, though I'll miss some of the EP voices.

Jun's IS dub is perfect.
Joker's, too.

His EP dub... uh... well, it wasn't a flawless localization, just pretty dang close.

I liked the IS dub for the most part, especially Maya.

The only one I thought was a bit off was Eikichi. Troy Baker wasn't effeminate enough.

The German accents for the Holy Lance Knights and Hitler were dang good.

B.K.

I imagine most likely a policy change would've been in the last year, now 2+ years ago when they were still more seriously pushing the system.

It's been longer than that. It's been at least four years. I'm certain they would have approved Growlanser. Atlus just didn't bother with it.

Eusis

Jun's IS dub is perfect.
Joker's, too.

His EP dub... uh... well, it wasn't a flawless localization, just pretty dang close.

The only one I thought was a bit off was Eikichi. Troy Baker wasn't effeminate enough.
The main one I was thinking of would be
Tatsuya Sudou
that I'd probably miss. Everyone else I may be nostalgic for but not particularly attached to.

It's been longer than that. It's been at least four years. I'm certain they would have approved Growlanser. Atlus just didn't bother with it.
Four years? I figured Sony would've been tight up until it was clear the system was in its twilight years, but then I guess that would coincide with Microsoft and Nintendo dethroning them.

Vamphuntr

Jun's IS dub is perfect.
Joker's, too.

The German accents for the Holy Lance Knights and Hitler were dang good.

I can agree with the German accents and I have nothing to say against the actors doing Ginko and Jun but most of the characters that had to say a few lines (bosses for instance) weren't good at all. I guess the issue is that since the spoke so few lines they weren't really able to master the character or the right tone. Sasaki is one of the worst in the game. I couldn't help but laugh when he spoke during battle.

Yeah, the guy doing Michel was weak for some parts. His OOOOooooooooooooOO doesn't sound good. Maya's voice is really annoying to me. I found that her lines when you fight her shadow were hilariously delivered. I also hated Yukki's voice overall. Tatsuya also has a voice of someone who seems like 30 years old during contacts (to be fair the original was like that too though).

I'm not really angry at those though. Like I said, some characters have few lines in the game so getting the right tone might have been tricky. It's not like they had the best budget ever too for a PSP game too.

Localization is superb and much more better professional than the fan translation which was pretty good. I'm also thrilled that people were able to experience the game at last.

Voice acting wise, P4 is superior to this IMO.

There shouldn't be an issue with Growlanser as the characters talk a lot. Unless they choose poorly, which I doubt, it will be fine.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's not a rumor. It's true and has been for years. They'll approve anything. They don't give a damn anymore.

Somebody get Konami to re-submit Suikoden I+II....

Eusis

I don't have anything against them myself. They have their reasons to wait, I'm sure, and it's not like there'll be a lack of anything to play, not to mention that if it's coming it's probably coming at the same time it would've whether they announce it tomorrow or a month before release.

As for asking about VA in Growlanser: it's not so much that I'm concerned about quality (it seems it only gets bad BAD in freak incidents for Atlus anymore) so much as that too much of it (combined with too much text) makes it too costly to localize, and thus not worth bringing 1 out. It's why I'm simultanously relieved and worried about the Vita port for Zero no Kiseki, it's going onto the modern system so its chances of coming here are way, way higher, but if it's got a lot of VA the costs may counteract being on the newer platform.

NichM

Banned
Yes, because they do choose those. Nich has talked about it before!! And Nich even designed the font in the NA version of Etrian Odyssey. (I'm sorry for hurting your feelings with that one, man. :()

Nah, it was an interesting experiment but I'm not going to pretend it was a successful one.

Anyway, we don't always have input into the font. Like everything else, it depends on the game and the developer.

cj_iwakura

Or more relevant to this thread ... how about the Devil Summoner PSP port/rom?

Source code.

Also, the game is ugly as sin. It predated Persona. And unlike Persona, they didn't touch up on anything.It's as-is.

Now Soul Hackers, they pass on that, heads roll.

ctrayne

Growlanser 1 looks really great. The zoomed out overworld stuff is a bit iffy, but that's all.

Yeah, I have actually never seen screenshots of G1 before, but I had to do a double take at those shots. Not bad. 2D can still rock it sometimes.

Vamphuntr

Urban myth, but I recall some US magazines were hyping it.

Why they'd reject it, I have no clue. Soul Hackers has some of the nicest looking dungeons I've ever seen.

[img.]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/ichigofrost/letsplaysoulhackers/10-5a.png[/img]

Kind of a product of its time, though.

Guess the GIA wasn't as good as I remembered :( http://www.psy-q.ch/mirrors/thegia/sites/www.thegia.com/news/n990407a.html

Same for the guy from Aeon Genesis which stopped working on his version after the P2 IS team started the project. http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=soulhackers

Well I guess disinformation was more common back then.

I still believe I will get my Growlanser eventually. You guys should hurry though as I would like to play it before the supposed end of the world.

Eusis

Yeah, guess if it's been YEARS since SCEA cared then that makes it fully Atlus's call. Well, Atlus and retailers anyway.

graywolf323

vireland

hopefully SCEA won't start acting that way again with the Vita :-s

I think most of the internal nitwits that helped Sony disembark from the #1 spot in the world are gone, demoted, or reassigned. I don't see that issue arising anytime soon, but then again, I didn't see it coming the first time, and it cost me a company, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask. :)

ctrayne

:( I hope the new PSP one does really, really well. I want more Suikoden titles.

Nah, because then they will just make more of these random generic anime Suiko-wannabe games that have nothing to do with the original (in style or in plot).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I think they actually do hate us :)

Grimmy

Banned
My god, the air of desperation in this thread. Especially with the really reaching speculation that SCEA has somehow blocked a game no one even announced or knows whether the game's parent company is interested in localizing or not!

ctrayne

My god, the air of desperation in this thread. Especially with the really reaching speculation that SCEA has somehow blocked a game no one even announced or knows whether the game's parent company is interested in localizing or not!

Hey now, us fans of forgotten/unfinished series have to whine about it somewhere. :)

randomkid

Believe me, I would love to see both games localized, but it's painfully awkward reading the recent comments :( Atlus probably feels the same too.

Painfully awkward is a good way to describe most Atlus threads here! I imagine Nich takes it all in stride, heh.

graywolf323

I think most of the internal nitwits that helped Sony disembark from the #1 spot in the world are gone, demoted, or reassigned. I don't see that issue arising anytime soon, but then again, I didn't see it coming the first time, and it cost me a company, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask. :)

yeah I miss Working Designs :(

on a slightly related but mostly off topic note, do you think we'll be able to get Growlanser II & III on PSN as PS2 Classics?

the two Lunar games as PS1 Classics would be amazing as well >_>

vireland

yeah I miss Working Designs :(

on a slightly related but mostly off topic note, do you think we'll be able to get Growlanser II & III on PSN as PS2 Classics?

the two Lunar games as PS1 Classics would be amazing as well >_>

We're working on all of the WD games in some capacity, but the ones you haven't seen on PSN already are the hardest, for various reasons. We haven't given up. There's also a limited edition bonus coming for PSN Vanguard Bandits purchasers very soon. I have the prototypes in hand.

graywolf323

We're working on all of the WD games in some capacity, but the ones you haven't seen on PSN already are the hardest, for various reasons. We haven't given up. There's also a limited edition bonus coming for PSN Vanguard Bandits purchasers very soon. I have the prototypes in hand.

imagine Lunar and Growlanser are both a little more complex licensing wise :-(

and yay :D I was very happy when Vanguard Bandits went live on PSN and bought it day 1

is it sad I already owned the Vanguard Bandits guide despite having never owned the game before? >_<

Eusis

If you're thinking this is "they didn't announce anything yet this year, SCEA must have blocked it!", that wasn't what I was thinking at all in regards to Growlanser IV (just waiting to see what happens), but rather speculation on possible reasons we might not have gotten the older Growlanser game. Despite that speculation though it probably IS just because V sold poorly, especially with everyone pointing out they haven't cared for years in regards to the PSP, plus checking again they had quite a bit coming out in 2009 and 2010 which probably kept the plate full.

If that was just "you're crazy to assume SCEA blocked a game!", well, they've done it before, and it IS their platform to make the calls for, plus in 2009 there really weren't any other alternatives for an easy, practical port and STILL sell at $30+ so they would've effectively had the final say anyway.

cj_iwakura

If Atlus was willing to let Square have Ogre Battle 64, I assume it wouldn't be too unreasonable to let someone publish Growlanser II and III on the PSN.

Heck, Atlus USA doing it would be nice.

scy

Nah, because then they will just make more of these random generic anime Suiko-wannabe games that have nothing to do with the original (in style or in plot).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I think they actually do hate us :)

Touché.

Any Atlus-related thread that doesn't devolve into Fatlus comics is a winner in my book.

You ruined the surprise for page 15/30 :(

Eusis

If Atlus was willing to let Square have Ogre Battle 64, I assume it wouldn't be too unreasonable to let someone publish Growlanser II and III on the PSN.
No, Square Enix owns the IP so either Atlus recognized it was better for fans to give up the localization, or Square Enix owned it to begin with. And likely considered it more viable for international release than RayStorm/RayCrisis, but Nintendo's VC apparent policy versus Sony's probably helped there.

In any case, here it'd be the reverse: either Victor Ireland works with them to get it on, or Atlus owns the localizations to begin with and gets it on if they care enough, but for now I'm more concerned about PS2 releases building up more steam and becoming more of an international thing than being America-exclusive.

It is the Era of Hopelessness Springing Eternally
although some of us choose to be more constructive.

No, Square Enix owns the IP so either Atlus recognized it was better for fans to give up the localization, or Square Enix owned it to begin with. And likely considered it more viable for international release than RayStorm/RayCrisis, but Nintendo's VC apparent policy versus Sony's probably helped there.

In any case, here it'd be the reverse: either Victor Ireland works with them to get it on, or Atlus owns the localizations to begin with and gets it on if they care enough, but for now I'm more concerned about PS2 releases building up more steam and becoming more of an international thing than being America-exclusive.

Exactly. It was a Festivus miracle we got LUCT remake via the old team.

Seems like nobody seems to remember about the bug on the original PSP European version of Tales of Eternia that made the game in completable.

I'm just glad that the version I picked up before I came to Canada does not have the said bug. :p

Top Bottom