• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guess Atlus USA's next game reveal

Aeana

I know it won't be but I too hope for Golden Persona 4. :(

There's no reason to hope for that since it's a guaranteed release.
As for when it'll be out... well, they haven't even released Devil Survivor 2 in English yet and Golden isn't even out in Japan yet.

Eusis

They'll probably announce The Golden within a week of it's Japanese release anyway. Announcing it here only serves to block out another game (and likely saddle it with a terrible name).

Persona 4 Vita is the single most unambiguously guaranteed future title conceivable for Atlus. It's ludicrous to even consider the possibility that it wouldn't be released here.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
guessthenextgame_1.jpg

OH MY GOD, ANOTHER GUESS THE GAME.

STARTS WITH LETTER G.

GAROU 2 !!!

fates

This is nothing. The news that TitS 2 probably never coming out here was far worse.

That was a pretty harsh blow, but in XSEED's defense, at least PR (wyrdward) got in touch with fans about it and were quite kind about it. As disappointed as I am about Trails 2, I just can't be very mad at XSEED if only because they didn't ignore us about it.

Atlus' rep, the "lol, forums" guy, on the other hand...

And yeah, I really hope this is Growlanser because holy crap was that quite the troll run they did. I don't want to think they'd do it again but like I said perhaps they want to use the few fans as their personal punching bags.

Aeana

I'm doing a playthrough of Trails 2 right now with me translating the dialog as I play. I don't know if anyone is interested, but I'll get the first couple of videos uploaded soon.

mollipen

Persona 4 Vita is the single most unambiguously guaranteed future title conceivable for Atlus. It's ludicrous to even consider the possibility that it wouldn't be released here.

Seriously. It's like, "Man, did you see Nintendo released this new Super Mario 3D Land game in Japan? Think there's any hope of them bringing it out here?"

fates

I just want to know the date its coming, day and date with JPN.

You're probably gonna be waiting a while more, but it's like a 100% sure thing its coming out here.

If they are teasing up to that... it would be a massive disappointment because like others have pointed out time and time and again, there's just no surprise in it.

Only other game it could be is Gloria Union.

Eusis

Only other game it could be is Gloria Union.
Assuming all the clues are reset (I think only the "this is from the cover" one will be) there's a lot of other possibilities we're probably not considering. HOWEVER, with how this was strung along I think that clue is basically their way of coyly saying "Yes, Growlanser IV is coming. More details to come."

scy

I'm doing a playthrough of Trails 2 right now with me translating the dialog as I play. I don't know if anyone is interested, but I'll get the first couple of videos uploaded soon.

Dear god yes.

Assuming all the clues are reset (I think only the "this is from the cover" one will be) there's a lot of other possibilities we're probably not considering. HOWEVER, with how this was strung along I think that clue is basically their way of coyly saying "Yes, Growlanser IV is coming. More details to come."

Really, it'll come down to that last letter clue. Growlanser and Gloria Union both fit the bill besides the cover and the letter one. We'll see, I suppose. I'm just going to remain uninvested in this unless I see good reason to change that.

Or until the next clue where I'll forget I said that and lose my shit for some silly reason~

Eusis

It's definitely possible they're just doing a Sting push, and with Gloria Union detatching itself from the Dept Heaven universe (or so I heard) it's a prime candidate to get back to that subseries. And it'll sting less than Growlanser IV being outright ignored here because we're STILL getting two games, even if it's not the one I would've preferred.

It's definitely possible they're just doing a Sting push, and with Gloria Union detatching itself from the Dept Heaven universe (or so I heard) it's a prime candidate to get back to that subseries. And it'll sting less than Growlanser IV being outright ignored here because we're STILL getting two games, even if it's not the one I would've preferred.
But with all the rumors about both Gungnir and Growlanser getting released, and the obvious similarities between the two games that the first set of clues presented, it would be really disappointing if they were just stringing the Growlanser fans along.

If they were really just doing a Sting marketing blitz, this would be the wrong way to go about it.

And with the fact that the first set of clues had to end abruptly(?) because of the leaked Gungnir listing, I can only wonder what else Atlus was going to use to tease us.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously. It's like, "Man, did you see Nintendo released this new Super Mario 3D Land game in Japan? Think there's any hope of them bringing it out here?"

There was much gnashing of teeth about Catherine. It was 100% going to be translated but people whined and pissed and bitched and moaned about Atlus not announcing it sooner. If they don't release Persona 4 Golden in the west, I will eat my Vita.

cj_iwakura

There was much gnashing of teeth about Catherine. It was 100% going to be translated but people whined and pissed and bitched and moaned about Atlus not announcing it sooner. If they don't release Persona 4 Golden in the west, I will eat my Vita.

I was genuinely worried for a while. The game seemed really out there, even for Atlus.

Eusis

But with all the rumors about both Gungnir and Growlanser getting released, and the obvious similarities between the two games that the first set of clues presented, it would be really disappointing if they were just stringing the Growlanser fans along.
Yeah, it's more "others shouldn't be immediately ruled out" rather than "guess it's not Growlanser afterall!" but at least NOT announcing Growlanser means it's yet another surprise instead.
I was genuinely worried for a while. The game seemed really out there, even for Atlus.
Yeah, though being on the 360/PS3 made it seem an inevitability: if it was set for Japan only why even make a 360 version, especially now that others are giving up there? It's not like they're Nintendo who'll fund and develop a massive RPG only to ALMOST skip it entirely for full international release. Stuff like Nora though... yeah, that worried me, and only a glimmer of hope is there because of these two games, though the Atelier games are probably a more than acceptable alternative anyway so it's not TOO bad.

fates

If they were really just doing a Sting marketing blitz, this would be the wrong way to go about it.

But not completely out of character for them. I can see it now "an ad campaign fueled by the tears of Growlanser fans". Might all be part of some late-game big push to release STINGs catalog here.

Though yeah, teasing another fanbase not once, but TWICE, is a pretty dick move. To fans, once is that already.

Aside from this one, there's none of the other clues (if repeated) that could apply to Gloria Union, is there?

On another note, it might not have been an abrupt end. They got the "Guess the NEXT game" thing out pretty swiftly after the leak. They could have had it in stock for use later, though.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, it's more "others shouldn't be immediately ruled out" rather than "guess it's not Growlanser afterall!" but at least NOT announcing Growlanser means it's yet another surprise instead.

Yeah, though being on the 360/PS3 made it seem an inevitability: if it was set for Japan only why even make a 360 version, especially now that others are giving up there? It's not like they're Nintendo who'll fund and develop a massive RPG only to ALMOST skip it entirely for full international release. Stuff like Nora though... yeah, that worried me, and only a glimmer of hope is there because of these two games, though the Atelier games are probably a more than acceptable alternative anyway so it's not TOO bad.

The Atlus gem I really wanted was that school dating sim esque PSP one. It looked really interesting.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/12/01/atlus-working-on-another-high-school-rpg/

Eusis

Aside from this one, there's none of the other clues (if repeated) that could apply to Gloria Union, is there?
PSP does, and Strategy RPG probably fits MORE because of Growlanser being more of a traditional RPG/RTS hybrid whereas Yggdra Union (and apparently its sequels) are more traditional SRPGs with A LOT of unique mechanics thrown in. But ending in R doesn't fit, and fourth installment depends entirely on how Blaze Union/Yggdra Unison fit in, I think Yggdra Unison might not count so it'd be the third installment instead.

cj: Yeah, that one sounded interesting, but I think it's a licensed property so it was probably doomed from the start for localization anyway, nevermind the platform.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!

I just saw this in my email. This is why Atlus is the best videogame company out there! hahaha, the best is Nich's "I told you about stairs" face. A vampire called queen of fraud hugging a giant banana? genius. Scott's creepy kawaii ugguu face is something too...
And I thought I recieved some shitty presents back in my day... tissue? lottery tickets? wtf dude.
All this Growlanser trolling is forgiven~

Macstorm

Should type it all up and offer to sell it to XSEED. Worked for Deuce...after a fashion.

Einhander

It's cool that Gungnir got announced. I haven't played the Dept. Heaven series yet, but I'll get to it eventually.

I'm hoping the next reveal will either be Growlanser I or IV, as others have speculated in this thread. I'd be happy with either.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd give them a week or a few more days. It's barely a few days into the new year.

But not -that- glad.

I must find the time to actually play the entire thing.
To be fair, Amy was always an idiot and Sonic never liked her.

I personally thought the RPG was mediocre when all was said and done. The characters were very well-written and their gameplay differentiated from each other (better than Sonic Adventure or Sonic Heroes ever did it), though, and it was quite clear that Bioware actually did research the Sonic universe to write the dialogue (particularly the SatAM/Archie universe, since there seemed to be quite a bit of parallels with the Dark Legion-esque stuff in there).

Top Bottom