• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 News And Information Thread [Large Beta Weekends In March/April]

KiteGr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4YvkZeLrjs is usually my standard MMO boss fight tune.
I think a good boss music should be capable of rising the tension just by hearing it.
When it comes to boss soundtracks is, only one comes to mind, yet somehow I think it wont fit in particular into GW2's rythm.
Therion have some nice tracks that would fit a boss music, but I expect more of a Zelda styled game to use them. That Zelda game would be awesome!

In the end I think I'll go with something classic....

Can't wait for the game!

Ashodin

I just saw on GW2Guru that they will be doing some impressions and info on the 20th especially from IGN.

It's all over their front page!

Jira

I just saw on GW2Guru that they will be doing some impressions and info on the 20th especially from IGN.

It's all over their front page!

It won't just be IGN, but a fair few media outlets will get to talk about their press beta impressions. I do hope Charles was the person playing the Thief last year cause I've seen footage of people from IGN playing and dear god they sat there and spammed 1 while standing still with a full bar of skills. [face_palm]

I stop following this game, I want to play it and feel excited and be shock, don't want to say, oh i saw this event in a video i know how to complete it..

Retro

I stop following this game, I want to play it and feel excited and be shock, don't want to say, oh i saw this event in a video i know how to complete it..

I'd explain why that shouldn't be an issue in GW2, but I'm in the middle of cooking dinner, so I'll just link to an article GW2 Guru posted a few days ago. I get the feeling this guy's first language isn't English, but he explains why the Holy Trinity is broken and touches on your specific concern; http://mesmer.pl/?p=157

It is a common practice, that in games using Holy Trinity, only tank is able to withstand boss’ attack. Therefore, aggro controlling is crucial and players are able to modify generated hate actively. That’s why, though developers design more and more complicated encounters, people fighting them always, ALWAYS, have to be able to control aggro. It leads into the situations, where boss fights resemble some crazy dance – everyone on the right, then on the left, jump, get down, and so on… Well… I know it has its pros and many players love it, but there’s got to be more than this in whole MMORPG genre!

You won't be able to go online and watch a video and follow the steps, because the game is so diverse in terms of strategy and skill that what worked for Group X may not work for Group Y, whereas in other MMOs as long as you have 2 Tanks, 3 Healers and 5 DPS and they do x,y,z, you win.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That dancing analogy works on so many levels.

Raid Boss: Star Dancer #1
Main Tank: Star Dancer #2
Everyone else: Supporting dancers
Phases: Acts
Raid Preview: Giant billboards featuring Star Dancer #1

Everytime you raid, you're performing some weird digitized opera/musical. Complete with cheesy special effects and dialogue.

Subprime

Anyone else think that within a week of launch people will figure out exactly what classes and builds are most effective at tanking and support? IT always happens in hybrid situations.

inky

Anyone else think that within a week of launch people will figure out exactly what classes and builds are most effective at tanking and support? IT always happens in hybrid situations.

People will figure out a more efficient kind of party for sure (especially for the hard instances and ranked PvP) but everything I've read about the game points to it being impossible to have a dedicated healer/tank like other MMOs.

zulfate

dear god i hope not...are we going to see "Looking For water based ele for zhaitan now! stat gogogogoo!!!11!!"

gunbo13

I'll save you some time.

Mace/shield guardian with shouts and staff eles.

Syril

This is honestly one of the things I'm worried about. Hopefully it'll end up working out like Monster Hunter, where some weapons have an easier time against certain things, but everything is still useable and it's up to the player to keep themselves safe if they have a fragile build.

Proven

This is honestly one of the things I'm worried about. Hopefully it'll end up working out like Monster Hunter, where some weapons have an easier time against certain things, but everything is still useable and it's up to the player to keep themselves safe if they have a fragile build.

This. If not, I'm becoming a hardcore Monster Hunter fan instead and importing.

Jira

To preface this with quotes directly from the horse's mouth:

Question #46: "Any favorite dungeon party set-up/teams you've had yet?"

Answer: "Any combination is actually very strong, which, in itself, is really one of our favorite things about the game. Instead of people needing to bring specific builds or professions, they just need to be good at whatever build/profession they bring."

Also, read this:

http://www.arena.net/blog/jon-peters-talks-combat

You can't tank in GW2 as there's no taunting in the game whatsoever, what you can do however is control your enemies. Ultimately you want to avoid damage entirely, so you do that through control. Control is about controlling your enemy’s damage and movement. You won’t ever stand in place to let an enemy hit you, if you are you’re going to die. For support you’re not going to stand around spamming heals. instead you’re buffing/debuffing/healing/cross profession combos/active defense. The heals are minimal and more along the lines of regens instead of large chunk heals. Everyone is responsible for their own health pool, your allies can help out, but it’s not their job to make sure you don’t get yourself killed. They CAN prevent it through control or support, but they can’t make sure you don’t die indefinitely, that one shield may have saved you once, but there’s never a guarantee because you shouldn’t be getting yourself in those situations in the first place.

With that in mind let's go ahead and make a possible built for control/support/damage for the Warrior:

Control

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool...ad31;3301ba22e337a62a78d68154b&switch=33ec205

Support

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool...ad31;34fb19532f82ea2a7b34c154c&switch=36c88c5

Damage

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool...5;32238f52f27a4a2a7dde078d64&switch=2f360c137

These were all single builds I came up with though they’re not the only builds that are capable of serving the same purpose, this doesn’t take traits into account, nor cross profession combos. Are these the best builds? No. Are these the only builds? No. Will you use the same build for every single situation? I hope you won’t. Different builds will apply based on what the situation calls for, if you go into PvP with the same build every time, people will take notice and counter you with a different build. Certain builds might work for this group of mobs, but this other one may need you to switch things up entirely, you’ll need to switch weapons on the fly to adapt to changing situations. There’s also no rotation system, if you sit there and blow all of your skills just because they’re off cooldown you’re going to take a dirt nap REAL quick. You’ll use skills based on what is going on around you, not because they’re off cooldown. Analysis of terrain, your enemy position, your allies positions, and your position play an extremely vital role in combat. Movement is also extremely important, keep moving and don’t stand still unless you have to, dodge attacks when at all possible, don’t get hit! Get good with the builds you come up with, play them to the best of your ability because in the end YOU are the deciding factor in how well you play, not your build.

gunbo13

Here's my counter-stance. ;)

Guardian Tank
http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool...ad31;321278434e08932a7678414e9&switch=33ec205

Ele Support
http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool...5;2f33df833f5de130254e335d4944&switch=33ec205

Pretty simple.

Guardian Tasks
  • Use protector's strike, SoJ, and SoA for prot
  • Shelter, hold the line for heal
  • CoP for condition removal
  • Meditate to recharge virtues so you chain them, use virtues constantly, courage resolve for block/heal
  • Use sanctuary to give basically invincible time

Ele Tasks
  • Use water for direct heals and snares with water blast, frozen ground, geyser, healing rain.
  • Use air for blinds with lightning surge (unless guardian does so with alt sword build)
  • Damage enemy movement using earth with unsteady ground and shockwave.
  • Use signet of air and lighting flash to escape aggro. Keep kiting using these skills.
  • Conjure frost bows for your allies. If you chain them with multiple eles, that's near constant snaring.

-Guardian is basically a prot monk. He can also be a blind bot if necessary using a sword. Meditate could be huge for chaining virtues.
-Ele can switch attunements so quick ones can chain through all support skills. Water is like a damn heal bot with water blast, geyser, and healing rain. And what if you have 2 eles? How about 4?

---

ANET tried to screw us up with GW1 and it took them years to counter-attack. If you constantly blind enemies, snare them with guardian prots, and spam 4 water blasts/healing rains?

This wells necro is also awesome support. It's got blinds, heals, condition removal/application, etc...
http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool...c885;311972734e08312a767e815b2&switch=2f312a4

1 guardian, 3 ele's, and a well necro seems pretty fucking stacked to me. Maybe it is just an attrition build. Or maybe it isn't? We'll see.

Jira, those builds are really bad examples. ;)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Realistically a build of a class in a game that is experimenting closed beta is only as good as its theoretical self and the plans you envision against it.

It seems that GW2 is wanting an experience of randomization to occur. You're better off thinking on your feet rather than expecting such and such to occur at a certain point. There are surely going to be builds where they will greatly benefit the situations that may occur, but I'd like to think that there is more luck and chance married with skill with this game than any other MMO currently out.

gunbo13

Realistically a build of a class in a game that is experimenting closed beta is only as good as its theoretical self and the plans you envision against it.
We are aware. But that also applies to one week into live and further down the life-cycle. Will a 100% tank be found? Maybe not.

It won't matter though. I really don't see this as a big deal. The monk sub-class is just being chopped up and divided. And squishes will just kite out. The AI is not going to chase you if you plink cast. You just won't have your tanks standing around, which I agree is a good thing. And the backline will need to be positionally aware. Still, does 1 guardian 4 eles with just different movement really kill past gameplay? If you assign eles to heal water spams, are they not healers? Monk smiters in GW1 are not much different then water heal/damage even if you need a few eles to pick up the slack.

What I will admit is that you won't get traditional tanking. But I think those who are making this out to be some achievement of skill > build functionality are overestimating the impact. Requiring a team to kite is not a big deal. The best PvP players in GW1 did this on auto. And it is stupid to put squishes into harms way when you can tank damage with more capable classes. So throw those tanks out there, kite aggro, spam heals, and drop meteor showers. Am I talking about GW1 or GW2?
Weren't they saying the max party size this time is 5?
Yep, my mistake. I'm way used to building for GW1. 1-3-1

Retro

Here's my counter-stance. ;)

I haven't seen any data on how much non-regen healing spells will actually heal for, though the wiki says that "these forms of healing are considerably weaker compared to a self-heal."

ArenaNet's goal is to remove the role of dedicated healer from GW2 (an approach which I applaud), and they've taken a very firm and public stance on being different from the rest of the genre. So why would you expect them to allow a build like the one you suggested to slip through and undermine their entire design philosophy?

The bottom line is, ANet has built the game so no build can single-handedly keep anyone alive for very long (probably, I can't say since I haven't played it). The build you have now looks like it will allow for a dedicated healer, but when you plug the numbers in, the encounter AI, the terrain? We already know GW2 is going to have lots of movement, and the heals with a limited area of effect (i.e. all of them) are going to be severely hampered because players are constantly dodging and moving in and out of their AOE. Those who try the old-style MMO tactics of standing around and waiting for heals are going to be snuffed out, either by attacks that should be evaded or just the lack of raw throughput needed to keep them up.

You just won't have the toolkit or the capacity to keep people alive, and because you've put all of your eggs in one Healer basket, you won't have the versatility to support them in the ways they need when those heals just don't add up.

Will there be people who build specifically to provide heals? Yes, and your build is one example of them. Will the gameplay allow them to be effective? Probably not. The expectation that somebody is going to get stuck playing whack-a-mole so his buddies can complete content is something you can bet ANet is going to fight.

So throw those tanks out there, kite aggro, spam heals, and drop meteor showers. Am I talking about GW1 or GW2?

Aggro as we know it is out the window; the devs have stated that the AI will radically change from encounter to encounter.

Colin Johanson interview said:
In regards to AI and aggro… simple creatures will use an AI system to determine who attack, and one of the most important criteria will be who is the closest target to them, but there are also criteria like who’s doing damage, how much damage they’ve done… and other things like that. These are basic things that most creatures would use. Then there will be unique AI for a number of different creatures that will use specific skills or the entire creatures will do different things than that. There may be creatures, for example, who attack the furthest away player in the party. There may be creatures who try to focus on people wearing medium armor or light armor, and try to chase them around. There may be creatures that run away, there may be creatures who get out of the way of attacks, there may be creatures who specifically only use skills on people at specific times. So, all of these are aspect on which we’re going to work as we get closer to the release of the game. (source)

With no artificial mechanic like threat generation or taunting, it will become the responsibility of every player to maintain control during every battle; you can't do that if you've built yourself into a corner and are too busy spamming weak, inefficient heals to try and keep up. Because the healing spells are likely meant for support and not outright survival, you might actually not be helping as much as if you were built for better control or even damage. On top of that, because of the emphasis on movement and enemy positioning, you can't really heal properly because everyone is constantly moving out of the limited range of your spells while laying down control or kiting. To say nothing of AI that is programmed to come directly after anyone squishy or doing lots of healing.

I would go so far as to venture that early on in GW2, the best way to identify a scrub player will be how hard they try to bend Guild Wars 2 towards the old paradigm rather than learning to adapt to the new gameplay.

Ashodin

It seems that GW2 is wanting an experience of randomization to occur. You're better off thinking on your feet rather than expecting such and such to occur at a certain point. There are surely going to be builds where they will greatly benefit the situations that may occur, but I'd like to think that there is more luck and chance married with skill with this game than any other MMO currently out.

Pretty much this.

There's not much you can do once the fight becomes ranged and you don't have a ranged weapon on you.

Or if the fight becomes everyone needs to tank or avoid stuff (which you should, of course, in GW2, always avoid stuff).

gunbo13

I haven't seen any data on how much non-regen healing spells will actually heal for, though the wiki says that "these forms of healing are considerably weaker compared to a self-heal."
That's why you overcome the DPS with healing quantity. Also, the guardian doesn't take damage if he is constantly blocking, blinding, or shielding. Causing constant snaring with minor kiting does the same thing. The aggro simply moves. AoE non-melee is the main concern. But from what I've seen, that is a simple dodge out.
So why would you expect them to allow a build like the one you suggested to slip through undermine their entire design philosophy?
I'm sure ANET didn't intend to have instant kill ele air spike builds day 1 for GW1. Or IWAY to dominate PvP for months. Lord ganking, smite balls, blood spike...I could go on and on.
The build you have now looks like it will allow for a dedicated healer, but when you plug the numbers in, the encounter AI, the terrain?
Those aren't dedicated healers. They are utility. But blinding melee will stop damage, snares will prevent physical attacks, and heals are self explanatory. Ele's are pretty damn versatile especially if you have 4 of them on backline.
Those why try the old-style MMO tactics of standing around and waiting for heals are going to be snuffed out.
Tanking is not only standing around. I never said standing around is viable. But a plinking/kiting backline with moving aggro is just moving the mobs. There is little difference and there is no accentuation on player skill.
You just won't have the toolkit or the capacity to keep people alive, and because you've put all of your eggs in one Healer basket, you won't have the versatility to support them in the ways they need when those heals just don't add up.
That's counter-intuitive or everybody would die in the game. Heal/prot is spread out through the team like chopping up a monk into pieces. The only difference from GW1 tanking is moving aggro, plinking, and kiting.
Will the gameplay allow them to be effective? Probably not.
Even if it is effective it will be patched out. But does it matter?

People expect rainbow builds to be standard. No more "LF guardian tank, fire ele for ..." I don't buy it. And isn't that the goal? PvP/PvE elite players will find ways to break the system. Every break in the armor will be one build at a time. So you will see a lot of "Ranger LFG" with ZERO replies if it isn't the meta. But they promised pure diversity, right?

Here is my current stance.
  1. Monks -> DEAD
  2. Standing Tanks - DEAD
  3. Tanking - VIABLE
  4. Healing/Prot/Utility builds - VIABLE
  5. Meta Builds - ALIVE AND KICKING ASS
  6. Player Skill Requirement Increase from trinity death - SUPER DOUBTFUL

So what is the result? I'm not really sure. ANET states that you can use rainbow builds for basically anything. If that's true, then that is move impacting then all of the above. But that doesn't mean that people will not go meta instantly. Who wants to do elite quests in 2 hours vs. 45 minutes? Everyone eventually goes meta unless they have some weird class dedication. Or can there be diversity in the meta? Now, that would be an accomplishment (but as likely as monks being patched in).

I'm not negative on this game and I don't think you could argue I'm not following it. But I'm also realistic. ANET is making great strides but nothing that people are focusing on is revolutionary. And most conceptions are likely to be off such as this player skill jump nonsense. Viability for rainbow builds on all PvE is actually the best bullet point that is getting swallowed up with the rest of this stuff. If ANET can do that plus keep difficulty up or scaled? Well shit, that's good stuff.
Aggro as we know it is out the window; the devs have stated that the AI will radically change from encounter to encounter.
You can't take out aggro. It is either bubble, damage, or stat.

gunbo13

With no artificial mechanic like threat generation or taunting, it will become the responsibility of every player to maintain control during every battle; you can't do that if you've built yourself into a corner and are too busy spamming weak, inefficient heals to try and keep up. Because the healing spells are likely meant for support and not outright survival, you might actually not be helping as much as if you were built for better control or even damage.
This is awfully idealistic. I made no mention of spamming heals or any of that sort. I only tried to create a tanking style build based solely on theory. If such a build works, then the backline can just spam spells constantly without worrying much about aggro. It might not be purely concentrated but it will certainly make AoE DPS easier. As long as the tank positions properly it will be a "let it rain" build. The alternative is some running around FPS fight where you have to kite out to self heal. But that doesn't mean the 1v1 stuff is efficient. Group them up as best as possible and take them down. The guardian holds his own but we support him so he doesn't die.
I would go so far as to venture that early on in GW2, the best way to identify a scrub player will be how hard they try to bend Guild Wars 2 towards the old paradigm rather than learning to adapt to the new gameplay.
What new paradigm? Running away when you are hurt to self heal? Hitting the dodge button? And there is no old paradigm being mentioned. It's simple logic. Less running around, less 1v1, less spacing, etc... is just more efficient. This requires proper positioning for the front/backlines and yes, some tanking. Another variation is spell combo attack ranged builds with frontline holding aggro...nice.

I also want to state that tanking "makes sense." You want the armor up close taking damage. You want casters kiting and dropping bombs. You want mid-line getting a bit close to disrupt their mid/backlines. So I have a problem with removing such logical ideas. Removing the monks? Fine. Run-around independent FPS style with squishes up close? Umm...dumb.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well if it's like the first game it's not that there isn't any threat generation more that the threat generation is the opposite to typical so-called holy trinity type gameplay which is that the loser armour you are the more aggro you acquire, then it goes to closest and then who's actually attacking the specific enemy. Anyway the point of combat is supposed to damage prevention rather than reactive damage negation, so to keep alive you supposed to be good a predicting what the opponents going to do rather than be good at off-setting what the opponent does.

J-Rzez

I think I'll cry if I hear this game is not going to be out until Q4. I direly need a good PVP game, as Star Wars didn't end up being all that I was hoping it to be. I need my MMO-esque PVP fix, and now.

ShaneB

I think I'll cry if I hear this game is not going to be out until Q4. I direly need a good PVP game, as Star Wars didn't end up being all that I was hoping it to be. I need my MMO-esque PVP fix, and now.

I need an mmo fix as well :( I want a persistant world, with a chatroom, and co-op and helping out, and all those great social aspects that comes with MMOs...

Skyrim is lonely... :( I'm lonely :(

Retro

That's why you overcome the DPS with healing quantity. Also, the guardian doesn't take damage if he is constantly blocking, blinding, or shielding. Causing constant snaring with minor kiting does the same thing. The aggro simply moves. AoE non-melee is the main concern. But from what I've seen, that is a simple dodge out.

I don't buy this argument of quantity making up for diminished quality. If methods aren't in place to prevent that kind of approach (layered AOEs not stacking, for instance.), I'd be surprised. As I said earlier, I can't see ANet taking such a hardline stance on eliminating the Healing role and then allowing players to break that design philosophy so easily.

Even with 4 healers, I don't think they'll have enough healing throughput to keep a tank up, and certainly not enough needed to keep a whole party up (which, from the comment I quoted earlier, is likely; the AI won't just focus on one guy all the time and everyone will need to take part in the control aspect).

We just can't say for sure now whether such a thing will be possible. Maybe later in the month when the Press Beta begins, but probably not then either.

Tanking is not only standing around. I never said standing around is viable. But a plinking/kiting backline with moving aggro is just moving the mobs. There is little difference and there is no accentuation on player skill.

I was referring to traditional MMO gameplay where the tank would just have all of the incoming damage healed; since GW2 has no direct healing, in order for that to actually work the tank would have to stand in the AOE.

That's counter-intuitive or everybody would die in the game.

In any other MMO, I would agree. GW2's skill-based gameplay only seems counter-intuitive because players are so used to the standard diku-clone MMO handbook. From what we've seen, no profession will have the tools or capacity needed to keep their group alive, and trying to do so will severely limit the number of options the player has to react to changing situations (which, from what we've seen, will be often).

Players avoid death by physically evading attacks, the strong self-healing skills, using the environment, and controlling where enemies are and what they can do. All of those things are designed to replace the need for a healer in the first place, allowing ANet to drop all healing spells down to weak little piddly spells that are helpful but not reliable.

On top of that, GW2's approach to the death penalty means that "Everybody dies in the game" isn't an automatic failure. Because everyone can resurrect mid-battle and there are lots of support options that feed into this, "Everybody dies" isn't as stiff a penalty as other MMOs and therefore doesn't need so much reactive healing to counteract it.

People expect rainbow builds to be standard. No more "LF guardian tank, fire ele for ..." I don't buy it. And isn't that the goal? PvP/PvE elite players will find ways to break the system. Every break in the armor will be one build at a time. So you will see a lot of "Ranger LFG" with ZERO replies if it isn't the meta. But they promised pure diversity, right?

All of the things that people keep mentioning whenever this "They're not really changing the Trinity" argument comes up (movement, evasion, no direct targeting, environment, emphasis on control) are all there to make combat less analog and more diverse. Instead of fighting a boss and memorizing the dance steps (tank goes here, dps moves here, etc.), shit happens all the time because there's a lot going on. The best players are the ones who are able to assess and react to situations, and the sheer diversity of things that can happen means that a singular build for all situations is impossible (or underperforms overall, Jack-of-all-trades and so forth)

There will always be players who find what they think is the best build or the best approach. But there's so much going on in GW2 that the difference between the theorycrafted 'best' and something with more utility probably won't be noticeable. There will be players who say "Mist form is an awesome skill", and despite not being a 'best' skill, they will likely find plenty of situations in which to use it just because there are so many different factors occurring at once. Situations where they save the entire group because they know how to use it. So instead of spending 2 hours doing an elite quest because of a wipe, they spend 45 minutes because somebody is a better player rather than theorycrafter.

From what we've seen in GW2, there are no 'bad' builds, just different builds for different situations. The malleability of the skill system means the best players will be the ones who know what skill to use and when.

You can't take out aggro. It is either bubble, damage, or stat.

I didn't say they were taking out aggro, I said aggro as we know it is being changed.

This is awfully idealistic. I made no mention of spamming heals or any of that sort.

If healing spells are 'significantly weaker' than the self-heal skill, then I would venture to guess that they are too weak to do more than 'top off' players or give them lots of little heals that add up over time. Healers will not be able to keep a player under fire alive for very long, and that's the entire point. The player who is taking all of this damage that needs to be healed should be dodging, mitigating and controlling the fight rather than taking damage. From the GW2 page: "Healing is the least dynamic kind of support there is. It is reactive instead of proactive. Healing is for when you are already losing. In Guild Wars 2 we prefer that you support your allies before they take a beating." One player alone cannot make up for another player taking a beating; is up to every player to make sure they don't take the damage in the first place.

To that point, I also don't buy that your Guardian build has the level of survivability that you advertise. Your argument is "a tanking style build based solely on theory. If such a build works, then the backline can just spam spells constantly without worrying much about aggro." Based more on the attitude and tone that we've seen (versus the numbers and theory you use, which we have not), I would suggest that such a build would not work, or would be too focused on mitigating damage to have the proper tools needed for a variety of situations.

What new paradigm? Running away when you are hurt to self heal? Hitting the dodge button? And there is no old paradigm being mentioned. It's simple logic. Less running around, less 1v1, less spacing, etc... is just more efficient.

Games are not about efficiency. In fact, they're the exact opposite. If the objective of a boxing match is to knock your opponent out, surely letting you use something other than padded gloves would be more efficient. If the objective of soccer is to get the ball into the goal, why doesn't anyone use a rapid-fire ball launcher? Because all games are effectively a system of rules that intentionally make the activity less efficient in the name of fun and difficulty. Shooting soccer balls across a field gets old and predictable; having players physically move the ball using only their feet makes it a challenge and a sport.

The 'new paradigm' of Guild Wars 2 is that there is no magic button that says "Pay attention to me"; you have to physically get in the enemy's face, cast a spell to keep them from moving, summon a wall to direct them, etc. Instead of a button that says "Heal this person", players have to watch their own health and pick the right time to heal themselves, avoid damage in the first place via movement, control, dodging, etc. Instead of "Tank died, wipe", players have to make the choice between resurrecting a downed comrade, taking over whatever role they were filling, burning down the target, or trying to tip conditions to their favor (for example, switching to a weaker target to trigger a Rally or to use a skill like the Warrior's "I will Avenge you!"), etc. The new paradigm is that combat is no longer black or white; you no longer need to have the gear / stats / build/ tactics perfect (which leads to a boring, predictable fight) or you automatically fail (which is hardly fun). The new approach GW2 is attempting has much more wiggle room for interesting choices, situations and yes, builds.

I also want to state that tanking "makes sense." You want the armor up close taking damage. You want casters kiting and dropping bombs. You want mid-line getting a bit close to disrupt their mid/backlines. So I have a problem with removing such logical ideas. Removing the monks? Fine. Run-around independent FPS style with squishes up close? Umm...dumb.

The act of 'tanking' makes as much sense in MMOs as it does in military combat; nobody puts their archers up front or sends infantry against heavy cavalry. You put your heavy hitters up front where they can take the brunt of the damage and the squishies in the back. Nobody is suggesting that Guild Wars 2 will remove that. What is being removed is the mechanics of tanking as they apply to MMOs to date; a tank 'taunts' the enemy and then maintains aggro through the fight, or in PVP, the tank gets between the attacker and the squishies.

In its place is the concept of "Control";

GW2 "Healing and Death" article said:
Tanking is the most rudimentary form of the most important combat fundamental, CONTROL. Every game has it, yet it always seems to get a bad name. In Guild Wars there was Knockdown, Interrupt, Weakness, Blind, and Cripple, to name a few. We wanted to build upon what we think makes control such an important part of dynamic combat. (source)

In other words, there will still be 'tanking' to some degree, but getting between the mob and the squishies is only part of the game; there's also conditions and outright manipulation of the enemy (wall spells, knock backs, snares, roots, etc.) One player being solely responsible for keeping the enemy at bay will be impossible because the incoming damage will be too great (and there's not enough healing to nullify it), avoiding damage requires lots of movement, and (in theory) no single profession ha all the tools they need to perform that role. That doesn't mean everyone is going to be running around like a shooter, but it does mean that nobody gets to stand around like a statue. And yeah, you might be a squishy who wants to run into close range; to resurrect a fallen ally, to utilize short-range spells, etc.

Moobabe

From what we've seen in GW2, there are no 'bad' builds, just different builds for different situations. The malleability of the skill system means the best players will be the ones who know what skill to use and when.

There's a lot I take issue with in your post but this, in particular, irked me; what have we seen in GW2 exactly? All we've seen of GW2 is what we've been shown - it won't be until the game is on general release that these issues will start to occur.

Mulligan

Banned
No way in hell will the game release Q4 with beta weekends starting in march and all, unless something goes horribly wrong during the beta which is seriously unlikely.

I still bet bank on Q2.

gunbo13

I don't buy this argument of quantity making up for diminished quality. If methods aren't in place to prevent that kind of approach (layered AOEs not stacking, for instance.), I'd be surprised. As I said earlier, I can't see ANet taking such a hardline stance on eliminating the Healing role and then allowing players to break that design philosophy so easily.
You are giving ANET way to much credit. This is the crew that decided it was in their best interest to murder their own PvP system. Let's save the credit for when they pull off any of their promises with GW2.

Preventing layered AoE stacking doesn't make sense. These are not enchantments or ally casts e.g. GW1. Water ele staff off-hand skills do nothing but heal. They won't stack because it will be simple health++ for allies in the area.
Even with 4 healers, I don't think they'll have enough healing throughput to keep a tank up, and certainly not enough needed to keep a whole party up (which, from the comment I quoted earlier, is likely; the AI won't just focus on one guy all the time and everyone will need to take part in the control aspect).
It is not just healing, it's utility as well. This is getting confusing so I will write something up at the end of this post. But again, there are no healers.
I was referring to traditional MMO gameplay where the tank would just have all of the incoming damage healed; since GW2 has no direct healing, in order for that to actually work the tank would have to stand in the AOE.
Yes, standing tanks should be dead. But that doesn't kill the position as I stated.
All of those things are designed to replace the need for a healer in the first place, allowing ANet to drop all healing spells down to weak little piddly spells that are helpful but not reliable.
They have to be reliable to a significant degree. Otherwise, who would use an ele water skill that only heals if it is piddly? If you have 3000 health and a geyser heals for 10% every 20 seconds (10% is not a lot), that's a 300 boost. Doing it with four eles? 1200 health. A healing rain of 10% would also be 1200 doing 2400 total, which would likely be a full heal if the target ally is low health. The cool-downs mean the DPS could be too high but that's why you don't just rely on two skills. Water blast does 291 damage and heals every time. What if that is 5%? Well, 150 boost on your auto-attack with 4 eles would be 12,000hp provided on the cool-down or 4 health orb fills. What if it is just 50 health a cast? Well, that's still 4,000hp on cool-down which is more then an orb fill. In the mean time the guardian has all his bag of tricks and this is just 3 skills with the ele.
On top of that, GW2's approach to the death penalty means that "Everybody dies in the game" isn't an automatic failure. Because everyone can resurrect mid-battle and there are lots of support options that feed into this, "Everybody dies" isn't as stiff a penalty as other MMOs and therefore doesn't need so much reactive healing to counteract it.
Eh, I don't want to talk about dying. Nobody dies in elite PvE which is where the meta matters.
Instead of fighting a boss and memorizing the dance steps (tank goes here, dps moves here, etc.), shit happens all the time because there's a lot going on. The best players are the ones who are able to assess and react to situations, and the sheer diversity of things that can happen means that a singular build for all situations is impossible (or underperforms overall, Jack-of-all-trades and so forth)
Or they just discover that the boss wall clips and gets stuck. Or that you can just chain snare him and play run-away cause he has no range. Nobody is going to do this jack-of-all-trades stuff. The best teams will have roles.
There will always be players who find what they think is the best build or the best approach. But there's so much going on in GW2 that the difference between the theorycrafted 'best' and something with more utility probably won't be noticeable.
What is exactly going on? All that is happening is optional versatile roles for 1v1s instead of mob wars. And my stance is that you don't have to even play the game that way.
Nah. There are bad builds all over and you'll get wiped if you don't have the best there is. This is especially true for PvP where if you aren't exploiting the skill system 100%, you lose.
I didn't say they were taking out aggro, I said aggro as we know it is being changed.
My apologies, I misread.

---

I'm going to change my terminology a bit. I foresee two gameplay types in PvE and one that I think would be damn fun.

1. Hold the Line
This is the tanking method I was talking about. You have specific roles for this system type. There are five methods here.

Buffing - Buff the tank so he can take on the brunt. Can be unrealistic but could be useful in spurts. Like "sanctuary is up, drop your stuff."
Snaring - Cripple and freezing constantly. Can be paired with KD's from the tank.
Blinding - Chain on melee to support tank. Should be combined with buffing.
KD's - Chain knockdowns with spells, melee to stop rush-downs.
Kiting - Using tele's or just dropping out of bubble aggro. This will keep the aggro on the tank.

I think this type of gameplay is AWESOME. ANET might not like it but screw them. It's like old school line holding hyped up to shit and back. The tank holds the front-line to prevent his back-line from getting smashed up. The back-line DOES NOT SEPARATE. This is important. You keep your line grouped into specific roles and mechanics. It is called "teamwork." You can do voice chat call out chains to prevent enemy rush-down. You may need to change up tactics based on different mobs. It is a combination of utility, healing, and positioning AKA AWESOME.

2. 1v1
I call this 1v1 cause it will often end up that way. I think this play-style sucks and many are hyping it. This uses the so called "player skill" to take on enemies through isolation. It also means that you'll have a tank running away to heal while a mesmer is smacking a giant boss with a sword... Yea, I'm bias cause this is stupid. I don't see any skill in this system except everybody is trying to play a tank along with a role that should be coordinated yet is not. You aren't some versatile MMO guru if you can kite, dodge, and attack at the same time. You are just playing a wannabe-warrior with magic fingers.

Want to know true multi-tasking? How about Mo/Me interrupt builds in GW1. You had to monitor four areas at once, red bars, screen, skill bar, and enemy casting. Your mana was supported by offensive interrupts on the opposing casters. You were actually fighting back at times with mesmers who were after you (and it felt good to beast them). If you missed interrupts, you lost your mana and your team wiped. If you didn't pay attention the screen, you'd miss your distortion stance to stop melee. If you didn't watch the red bars, your team would die lacking infuse on spikes or prot. If you didn't watch your cool-downs, you'd screw up your casting progression.

Now THAT is player skill. All wrapped up nicely in the talentless world of GW1 with its supposed scrub level build wars. But supposedly GW2 is coming in to fix this low level play by putting fishnet stocking mesmer chicks with swords to slash away at giant fucking dragons.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
No way in hell will the game release Q4 with beta weekends starting in march and all, unless something goes horribly wrong during the beta which is seriously unlikely.

I still bet bank on Q2.

I disagree but to each their own. I think the game is coming out Q3. Very Early Q3. Right before schools start probably.

Retro

There's a lot I take issue with in your post but this, in particular, irked me; what have we seen in GW2 exactly? All we've seen of GW2 is what we've been shown - it won't be until the game is on general release that these issues will start to occur.

We've seen enough to know what ANet's goals are, know enough about their track record to know their capacity to deliver on said goals, and (most importantly) not enough to quickly disprove or dismiss them as several people in this thread seem hellbent on doing.

Until the game launches, nobody knows for sure how it will play. But those who have played it are overwhelmingly positive in their feedback and report that what ArenaNet has said will appear in the game is actually in there and working as advertised (TotalBiscuit's videos are a great example).

alazz

I forget what happened at the end of prophecies
but was it ever said if the Mursaat will return in GW2?

Retro

Kinda skipping over your replies to get right to the heart of the matter. Kinda of getting tired of the whole break-down-every-comment reposts that are getting a bit too back-and-forth and overly long. Pretty sure very few others want to read that. Anyways....

I'm going to change my terminology a bit. I foresee two gameplay types in PvE and one that I think would be damn fun.

1. Hold the Line
This is the tanking method I was talking about. You have specific roles for this system type. There are five methods here.

Buffing - Buff the tank so he can take on the brunt. Can be unrealistic but could be useful in spurts. Like "sanctuary is up, drop your stuff."
Snaring - Cripple and freezing constantly. Can be paired with KD's from the tank.
Blinding - Chain on melee to support tank. Should be combined with buffing.
KD's - Chain knockdowns with spells, melee to stop rush-downs.
Kiting - Using tele's or just dropping out of bubble aggro. This will keep the aggro on the tank.

I think this type of gameplay is AWESOME. ANET might not like it but screw them. It's like old school line holding hyped up to shit and back. The tank holds the front-line to prevent his back-line from getting smashed up. The back-line DOES NOT SEPARATE. This is important. You keep your line grouped into specific roles and mechanics. It is called "teamwork." You can do voice chat call out chains to prevent enemy rush-down. You may need to change up tactics based on different mobs. It is a combination of utility, healing, and positioning AKA AWESOME.

That's pretty much Guild Wars 2 you just described, which is why I don't get why you seem to have all of these issues. Buffing and debuffing all fall under "Support" and serve to mitigate damage to the tank, and are required because the tank doesn't have external heals to rely on. Snaring, KDs and Kiting all fall under Control, which is everyone's job to maintain.

I'm not sure about the "Do not separate" requirement, because lots of the skills we've seen require some degree of movement towards or away from a target. But I don't think there will ever be a case where you have a caster spending a ton of time in at close range unless you build them specifically for it.

Nobody is saying "Mesmers are going to tank", but Mesmers are a heavy Control class with abilities that keep enemies from running rampant and smashing targets who can't take the damage (which is the role of the tank, traditionally). On that same notion, warriors aren't automatically a tanking class, having room to support (see Jira's builds earlier on the page).

Tanking is pretty much still there, but there just won't be any magical aggro mechanic that snaps the enemy AI to a target just because the player uses a taunt. Likewise, it's not something that a single person can fulfill alone, and when the AI does something that players don't or can't predict, other professions have tools that can fill that role if needed. For example, if the Warrior dies, a mesmer can switch to heavy control until the warrior can be rallied. Alternatively, if the AI goes after the target that is furthest from it (as mentioned in the quote I posted earlier), it may require the use of non-direct control (such as snares, roots, etc.) that a traditional tank cannot provide.

At the end of the day, no single profession can perform perfectly in every situation, and trying to make builds that do so leaves glaring blind spots. A fight where your Guardian Build has a huge gaping inability is going to make the fight next to impossible if you're so strongly committed to the build that you need 4 elementalists to pull it off.

Really don't see why people are so up in arms about GW2 changing things up, part of it feels like disinformation (read Jira's awesome OP, people), part of it disbelief and part of it just habit from years of MMOs that all function identically.

ShaneB

Just finished listening to the latest episode of 'Games Dammit' and the focus was on The Old Republic, and then MMO's in general. When talking about the future of MMO's, they seemed completely oblivious to what Guild Wars 2 is doing. Talking about the Holy Trinity and making it go away, and one person said "isn't that what Guild Wars 2 is doing", and it was practically ignored.

Bah!

zulfate

Just finished listening to the latest episode of 'Games Dammit' and the focus was on The Old Republic, and then MMO's in general. When talking about the future of MMO's, they seemed completely oblivious to what Guild Wars 2 is doing. Talking about the Holy Trinity and making it go away, and one person said "isn't that what Guild Wars 2 is doing", and it was practically ignored.

Bah!

That has been every podcasts thats talks about mmos...its fucking nerv wrecking! Im looking at you rebel fm!

Top Bottom