• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 News And Information Thread [Large Beta Weekends In March/April]

Boken

Banned
Whatever race makes the hottest chick.

tumblr_lr74lmDX5X1qkx6vn.jpg

ShaneB

I'll probably go with an Asura, just because I like the small stature folk (played a gnome in WoW), just that feeling of being the underdog and still kickin ass.

Ferny

I'll probably go with an Asura, just because I like the small stature folk (played a gnome in WoW), just that feeling of being the underdog and still kickin ass.

LOL I had a gnome DK and loved it. Jumping around like a spider monkey.

LOL I had a gnome DK and loved it. Jumping around like a spider monkey.

My bro right here. Trevor the Gnome Death Knight was a sight to behold.

For me it was always miniature or massive. Moonkin Druid and, eventually, Worgen Warrior were my other two mainstays. That being said, I like the idea of a Norn guardian. Guild Wars 2 is definitely on my radar, and will probably be the next game that my RL friends will all get in on.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I searched through the op and the last few pages but I haven't seen any info on beta testing. Is there somewhere i can signup, and if so, where?

Jira

I searched through the op and the last few pages but I haven't seen any info on beta testing. Is there somewhere i can signup, and if so, where?

ANet doesn't hold Betas like other devs do. Rather than invite a couple thousand people for 6 months - 1 year before launch, they have thousands of external testers for about 3 years during Alpha. What will likely happen is starting in March if you pre-order you'll get access to every Beta Weekend leading to launch. They've said they want your first experience with the game to blow you away.

Jira

I just saw this again so I thought I'd bring it up for those that don't know.

http://i.imgur.com/5Yjk0h.jpg See this?

http://i.imgur.com/6ldDUh.jpg and this?

Those are the same weapons/armor, during the day it looks like the first image and gives you HP regen, at night it glows and gives you HP leech upon use. There's other weapons like some made of ice that upon hitting something it might break and cause AoE damage, other weapons that are like moving clockwork pieces and will uncollapse out of each other when you sheath them and when you unsheath them they collapse back. They seem to not only be giving their weapons/armor character, but functionality too.

A video showing the ghostly weapons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNoWg2rENIo&feature=youtu.be&t=2m5s

After the recent announcement that Guild Wars 2 is coming out this year I started GW1 again with a new character. First time I played it me and my brother had characters on same account so we never got to play together but this time I bought him the trilogy and EoTN and we have been playing through the game again mostly just doing the primary missions. It is so much fun playing the game with someone sitting in the same room as you. We just did all the Ascalon missions and now we going to go straight to Nightfall so we can get Heroes.

We are hoping by the time we finish all the story missions of the campaigns Guild Wars 2 will be out so we can roll straight into it.

The new screen shots look awesome can't wait to see even more new info through out this month.

Retro

The Manifesto Video still gets me hyped more than anything else. Just hearing somebody saying the same shit I've been saying for years ("Grinding is not fun", "The world doesn't care that I'm there", "Quest text that tells you things that aren't actually happening is not okay", etc.) is what always wins me over.

Hearing the excitement in their voices, they seem a hundred times more passionate about making their game work than, say, Blizzcon presentations where the devs are playing to an audience but still can't seem to give off the impression that they care.

And Ree Soesbee isn't exactly hard on the eyes either, ya know.

I know im probably way late, but i was basically a guild wars 2 media virgin till this morning, and after viewing this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jtTIxvW_FU0

Im blown away. So huge, so pretty. This slaughters WoW cities.

Welcome to the club. We meet every Tuesday.

Now as a member you'll find yourself working though the five stages of waiting for Guild Wars 2:

Denial — "This time is REALLY going to be the open beta guys they showed it off at PAX again!"

Anger — "HOW DARE ARENANET MOVE THE BETA BACK AGAIN ARRRRRGH!"

Bargaining — " Does anyone know anyone at ArenaNet that can hook me up with a closed alpha invite? I have some other invites I can trade and I'll pay"

Depression — "I'm never going to be able to play this game :("

Acceptance — "Screw it I already have too many games to play to bother with this continual chain yanking shit. I'll worry about playing it when its actually out."

Most people reach acceptance after 9-12 months and two or so beta date moveups. You can stay at denial for the entire length of your stay but it involves long and arduous opining about gameplay mechanics you can only infer by playing screenshots.

Again, welcome to the club.

Helmholtz

After the recent announcement that Guild Wars 2 is coming out this year I started GW1 again with a new character. First time I played it me and my brother had characters on same account so we never got to play together but this time I bought him the trilogy and EoTN and we have been playing through the game again mostly just doing the primary missions. It is so much fun playing the game with someone sitting in the same room as you. We just did all the Ascalon missions and now we going to go straight to Nightfall so we can get Heroes.

We are hoping by the time we finish all the story missions of the campaigns Guild Wars 2 will be out so we can roll straight into it.

The new screen shots look awesome can't wait to see even more new info through out this month.

Glad you're having fun with it. Prophecies and factions are a little dated now, but Nightfall and EOTN still hold up really well. If you're interested in the hall of monuments unlocks, you should look into the things you need to accomplish in order to unlock some stuff. A lot of it is pretty easy, finishing normal mode missions, finishing the bonus objectives, getting an animal companion etc...

Glad you're having fun with it. Prophecies and factions are a little dated now, but Nightfall and EOTN still hold up really well. If you're interested in the hall of monuments unlocks, you should look into the things you need to accomplish in order to unlock some stuff. A lot of it is pretty easy, finishing normal mode missions, finishing the bonus objectives, getting an animal companion etc...

Yeah I am 28/50 for Hall of Monumenta rewards on my main character. I don't know if I want to do any more of that though because most of stuff I've done just missing pvp monuments which I have no time to do anyway.

Prophecies is quite date (especially the cutscenes and voice acting) but we will go do Nightfall and the EOTN and then decide if we want to go back to Factions and prophecies.

Jira

I know im probably way late, but i was basically a guild wars 2 media virgin till this morning, and after viewing this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jtTIxvW_FU0

Im blown away. So huge, so pretty. This slaughters WoW cities.

I noticed you linked the human starting zone and not a link to divinity's reach, was this what you meant to post? None the less, welcome aboard! You don't have to endure nearly as long of a wait. Being a GW2 media virgin must be amazing....makes me wish I could see so much stuff for first time again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD4i890IBbs&hd=1

Helmholtz

Yeah I am 28/50 for Hall of Monumenta rewards on my main character. I don't know if I want to do any more of that though because most of stuff I've done just missing pvp monuments which I have no time to do anyway.

Prophecies is quite date (especially the cutscenes and voice acting) but we will go do Nightfall and the EOTN and then decide if we want to go back to Factions and prophecies.

Cool. You don't need to do any PVP titles for 30/50 HoM. You only need to do one if you're going for 50/50. If I were you I would try to get the last two points, you might as well considering how far along you are.

Welcome to the club. We meet every Tuesday.

Now as a member you'll find yourself working though the five stages of waiting for Guild Wars 2:

Denial — "This time is REALLY going to be the open beta guys they showed it off at PAX again!"

Anger — "HOW DARE ARENANET MOVE THE BETA BACK AGAIN ARRRRRGH!"

Bargaining — " Does anyone know anyone at ArenaNet that can hook me up with a closed alpha invite? I have some other invites I can trade and I'll pay"

Depression — "I'm never going to be able to play this game :("

Acceptance — "Screw it I already have too many games to play to bother with this continual chain yanking shit. I'll worry about playing it when its actually out."

Most people reach acceptance after 9-12 months and two or so beta date moveups. You can stay at denial for the entire length of your stay but it involves long and arduous opining about gameplay mechanics you can only infer by playing screenshots.

Again, welcome to the club.

Dude...I'm waiting for this game since they announced it back in 2007 :|

oneils

Ok, I have to say it. No one will care, but I have to get this off my chest.

A few weeks ago (during a long christmas weekend) I watched a few of the Guild Wars 2 trailers. Everything looked pretty damn cool.

Recently, though, I've seen some gameplay videos and screen shots. I have to say I hate the U.I. It just does not match what I had envisioned after watching the trailers. The combat scroll text is way to big and in a weird font. The skill bar also looks like it came right out of a comic book or something. It just doesn't seem to match my initial impression of the game's overall aesthetic.

I feel better now.

Do we just have one hotbar? I watch the videos I see them use 3 or 4 abilities in combat. I guess this could be due to the user but are we going to be spamming our strong and weak attack buttons ad infinitum?

Complistic

You have one hotbar. The first 5 skills are determined by the weapons you're currently using(slots 1-3 are from your main hand, 4 and 5 are offhand), and the last 5 consist of one elite, one healing, and 3 utility skills you pick yourself.

inky

There's bit and pieces I don't like about the UI either. The skillbar seems like a placeholder tbh, or they tookthe word minimalistic too seriously. The one thing I really don't like is this font:

UQoKB.png

it looks super cheap.

The concept art is amazing, one the best I've seen in a while. In-game some parts do not look too hot, though. Some areas feel like halfway between FF and a Korean MMO, but 1. it's only a few areas or details, 2. It doesn't bother me too much.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just one step above Papyrus/Comic Sans.

Forkball

There's bit and pieces I don't like about the UI either. The skillbar seems like a placeholder tbh, or they tookthe word minimalistic too seriously. The one thing I really don't like is this font:

UQoKB.png

it looks super cheap.

The concept art is amazing, one the best I've seen in a while. In-game some parts do not look too hot, though. Some areas feel like halfway between FF and a Korean MMO, but 1. it's only a few areas or details, 2. It doesn't bother me too much.

Maybe Guild Wars 2 is being retooled into a late 90s 2D fighting game.

UQoKB.png

it looks super cheap.

Going by Guild Wars 1, it would probably be a safe bet the UI is still evolving, even after release I would still expect some kind of on going tweaks.

Grayman

Do we just have one hotbar? I watch the videos I see them use 3 or 4 abilities in combat. I guess this could be due to the user but are we going to be spamming our strong and weak attack buttons ad infinitum?

Guild Wars got a lot of usage out of its 8 skill bar and characters are now given several more. Those extra skills are mostly in the combat area.

Jira

One hotbar, the first five skills are determined by the weapon you're using and are also unique based on the profession. So a Warrior using a 1h sword has completely different skills than a Thief using a 1h sword. The #6 skill is always a healing ability which there are many to choose from. 7-9 are always utility skills and which there are also many of and you can change those out too. Your 0 skill is always your elite skill which once again there are many and can be changed out. You can change out any of your 6-0 skills as long as you're out of combat. In combat you can have 2 weapons equipped at once(with 2 exceptions, see below) and you can swap between them at any time during combat. So you can go from a 1h & shield to a bow with the push of a button and have entirely new skills. The Elementalist uses a profession specific mechanic called attunements and because of this can only have 1 weapon equipped at a time. The Elementalist has 4 attunements, each attunement has 5 skills per totaling 25 skills per weapon. The Engineer can only use 1 weapon at a time as well, their profession specific mechanic is their Toolbelt. The toolbelt allows you to equip different weapon kits and backpack kits that change out your current weapon skills for new ones depending on what kit you equip.

As for spamming your hardest attack, no that's simply not how GW2's combat is built. Skills in GW2 aren't as simple as this skill just does damage and nothing else. Take the Warrior for example, the #1 skill on the 1h Sword is a 3 chain attack that you can combo, the initial hit is a slash attack that makes the target bleed, follow up with a gash attack that stacks another bleed, and you finish it up with a final thrust. Now keep in mind that the combat system takes into account positioning and animation, so if your sword hits multiple targets it will actually do damage to those multiple targets, not just the target you happen to have selected.

Another example is the Thief's 1h Sword skill called Rending Slash, it will cripple your opponent which slows their movement speed by 50%.

GW2's skills are like toolsets and the diversity within them akin to a MOBA if you've ever played LoL/HoN/DOTA.

There's no global cooldown in GW2, instead the cooldown timers on skills range from 5-30 seconds on normal skills, 30-60 on heals/utilites, and 180 on elites. So what this means for combat is if you just spam all of your skills you're going to be taking a dirtnap real quick. So instead you strategically use your skills in relation to the situation at hand, your position, your allies positions, your enemies positions, your elevation, your enemies elevation, etc. Swapping between weapons is crucial so that you don't find yourself in a bind. Blow through your skills just because they're off cooldown and you can waste an opportune time to get the kill.

Then you have to take cross profession combos into account. An Elementalist could lay down a flamewall, switch to air attunement and chill a nearby enemy, then use their water trident to send that enemy right through the firewall, burning him. Anyone with a projectile based weapon could fire a skill through that same flamewall and turn their arrows/bullets into flaming bullets, you can go up to that same flamewall as a melee class and start throwing fire around with your attacks. Another example is if a Guardian lays down a Symbol of Faith, someone could use a leap skill to go through the symbol and remove conditions from nearby allies. Last example I'll give is if a Necromancer lays down a Well of Darkness and an Elementalist puts down Churning Earth on top of the well, the well already blinds foes and the Churning Earth cripples them, but when the Churning Earth ends it then increases the overall AoE damage output.

THEN you get into Traits. Traits allow you to further customize your character. Traits are split up into Primary traits and Weapon traits. Primary traits are things like stat increases, like increase vitality (HP) by 25, or add 75 armor, but also have other interesting effects. Some examples are
Increase damage by 25% when health is below 50%,
Reduce stun duration by 25%,
Increase damage of environmental weapons by 10%.

Then you have Weapon traits that specifically modify what a skill does.

Some examples:

- Fireball has a wider area of effect
- Fully charged Ice Shards also stuns
- Vapor Blade heals allies
- Cause Call of the Wild to grant health regeneration
- Point Blank Shot recharges faster
- Necrotic Grasp cripples on critical hit.
-Chilblains applies weakness.
- Causes Locust Swarm to last longer

THEN you could get into specific gear mods, but I won't go into all that. Point is good luck spamming skills cause you'll be a sitting duck for mobs and players alike. Mobs in GW1/GW2 aren't stupid and actually have very smart AI.

Aggro/AI –

Aggro will take into account quite a few factors:

Simple creatures use a system based on proximity, how much damage is being done to them, how much damage they're doing, health of the player, armor, etc. More complex creatures will use all of the above among other things such as using specific skills, attacking the player that is the furthest away from them, focus on players wearing medium or light armor and try to chase them. Some creatures might run away from you, swap weapons to have entirely new skills, dodge your attacks, use specific skills on players at specific times, etc. Different armies will also have their own systems that are based on different themes, skills, and AI.

If you've read this far I highly suggest you read my thread over on MMO champ:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME!

Helmholtz

Going by Guild Wars 1, it would probably be a safe bet the UI is still evolving, even after release I would still expect some kind of on going tweaks.
Yeah. I think the current GW1 UI is really slick, so I'm not worried about them pulling it off again. I remember seeing a picture of beta/pre-beta GW1 UI and being shocked at how bad it looked.

Complistic

UQoKB.png

it looks super cheap.

UI is always one of the last things to get finalized in games in general.

Draw on Compass spam!!!!!

They confirmed that's back :p

CSampson

You have one hotbar. The first 5 skills are determined by the weapons you're currently using(slots 1-3 are from your main hand, 4 and 5 are offhand), and the last 5 consist of one elite, one healing, and 3 utility skills you pick yourself.

That's awesome. I personally hate having 57 skills available to me all at once.

Orayn

That's awesome. I personally hate having 57 skills available to me all at once.

Yeah, this is one of the big things that sets Guild Wars apart from other MMOs. PvP in GW feels a little like a trading card game in that you have to pick your arsenal carefully, instead of having an overwhelming number of choices available.

ShaneB

Press beta invites have gone out. NDA lifted on Feb 20th so expect a ton of news that day.

I'm press, I post on neogaf with impressions and whatnot, I can suggest and put a number next to games like any other "press", I want an invite :(

Top Bottom