• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 News And Information Thread [Large Beta Weekends In March/April]

Jira

FEB 20th shall be GLORIOUS. I'm guessing that the press NDA drop is also a full NDA drop considering Beta Weekends are starting in March. There's no reason to try to uphold an NDA once you let people into your Beta through pre-ordering cause the info will come flooding in regardless. Inviting the press and dropping the NDA 3-4 months before release means they're EXTREMELY confident in their game. I can't wait!

Jira

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1094386&postcount=170

"Ok, before this get's out of hand:

We just started sending out invites. And no, I personally do not have the list of who will get invited.

Also: We will NOT lift the NDA, selected members of the press will be allowed to talk about their gaming experience. No general lifting of the NDA.

Hope that helps, you all have a great weekend."

So it seems that it's not a full NDA drop for those in the Beta, I guess I shouldn't have really expected that. Oh well, at least they get to talk about it but the press is usually pretty terrible at games or know nothing about the MMOs they get to play beforehand.

Yeah I'll make a thread for the press impressions and YES I'll go get myself an avatar, been meaning to do it anyways.

<--- yay for the Guardian!

Jira

So when I do make the thread what should I call it? I know what I'll call the OT when I make that, but for this I have no idea. I'll probably just include a link to this thread in that one so people know where to find it.

K.Sabot

So when I do make the thread what should I call it? I know what I'll call the OT when I make that, but for this I have no idea. I'll probably just include a link to this thread in that one so people know where to find it.

Is your avatar finally loading for me, or did you upgrade to avatar status Jira?

Retro

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta: The MMO (R)evolution begins.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Guild Wars 2 Beta: Just another excuse for Chelmo never to leave his room even though he won't get in!

PS: I kid because I care, and like Diablo I know I also won't get in! LOL

Jira

Did you already reserve a spot for doing the OT Jira? Also, what're you going to call it?

I had no idea you could do such a thing? How do I do it? I was thinking about Guild Wars 2 - What's your story?

Though I do like Retro's suggestion.

I don't. I rather hear player impressions rather than media hyperbole nonsense. Eh, guess it's better than nothing.

Agreed to be honest, we all know media previews are positive in general just so that publishers will give them the game to play/review. It's not saying they're not being truthful or anything, but yeah. I'd prefer we get impressions from "real gamers" so to speak. I've found Totalbiscuit's videos to be the best because he's actually talking about his thoughts while playing and that does wonders for giving you a real impression as to what a game is like.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I had no idea you could do such a thing? How do I do it? I was thinking about Guild Wars 2 - What's your story?

Agreed to be honest, we all know media previews are positive in general just so that publishers will give them the game to play/review. It's not saying they're not being truthful or anything, but yeah. I'd prefer we get impressions from "real gamers" so to speak. I've found Totalbiscuit's videos to be the best because he's actually talking about his thoughts while playing and that does wonders for giving you a real impression as to what a game is like.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450653

Use that. It's how GAF coordinates OT

inky

This thread makes me smile. I can't believe we are finally even talking about an OT :)

It's making me sad for the same reason. I'm not expecting this before September tbh.

I'm not sure how you reserve an OT either, I always thought it was just people in the announcement/preview thread just sort of coalescing around a single person. Maybe PM a mod or something?

There's a thread in the Community section where you reserve your spot.

Retro

I'm not sure how you reserve an OT either, I always thought it was just people in the announcement/preview thread just sort of coalescing around a single person. Maybe PM a mod or something?

Either way, I think you've done a fantastic job with the news and info in the OP so far, so my vote definitely goes to you doing the OT. For a game like GW2 where so much is different from the rest of the genre, it really does need a good OT to explain why it's such a big deal.

If you want to use the "(R)evolution" thing for the OT, here's some thread titles for the Press Beta thread;
Guild Wars 2 Press Beta: Enjoy sunlight while you still can.
(alternatively; "Say farewell to fresh air")
Guild Wars 2 Press Beta: The floodgates have opened.
Guild Wars 2 Press Beta: Stick it in my veins!
Guild Wars 2 Press Beta: More on the MMO that gives you more.
Guild Wars 2 Press Beta: This is how the World (of Warcraft) Ends.​
Okay, that last one is just too antagonistic and I really don't like the idea of GW2 getting labeled a "WoW-killer" when it's clearly a "Diku-clone Killer".

Yeah, those all kinda suck. =(

Guild Wars 2 |OT| - The Trinity Killer

I like Dexter. ;)

Hah, I like it. Best season of that show too.

Jira

It's making me sad for the same reason. I'm not expecting this before September tbh.

Expect it in June, ANet said once Beta Weekends start (March/April) it's only a short period of time till launch.

Either way, I think you've done a fantastic job with the news and info in the OP so far, so my vote definitely goes to you doing the OT. For a game like GW2 where so much is different from the rest of the genre, it really does need a good OT to explain why it's such a big deal.

If you want to use the "(R)evolution" thing for the OT, here's some thread titles for the Press Beta thread;
Guild Wars 2 Press Beta: Enjoy sunlight while you still can.
(alternatively; "Say farewell to fresh air")
Guild Wars 2 Press Beta: The floodgates have opened.
Guild Wars 2 Press Beta: Stick it in my veins!
Guild Wars 2 Press Beta: More on the MMO that gives you more.
Guild Wars 2 Press Beta: This is how the World (of Warcraft) Ends.​
Okay, that last one is just too antagonistic and I really don't like the idea of GW2 getting labeled a "WoW-killer" when it's clearly a "Diku-clone Killer".

Yeah, those all kinda suck. =(

Hah, I like it. Best season of that show too.

I do actually like the (R)evolution thing for the OT. So for the press beta I might go with the floodgates have opened, though not really because it's a lax NDA drop for select members of the press. Stick it in my veins! might work better. Anyone have any other ideas for the press beta thread name?

Retro

Stick it in my veins! might work better.

Yeah, that one jumped out at me too. Considering how strung out we all are for GW2 news, it'd be like a bunch of junkies suddenly being handed a suitcase full of coke. And you know what that looks like;

BOzyI.jpg

Norn in Bear Form? You decide.

Nymerio

Has anyone spent any thought on what kind of playlist they'll make for different situations? I'd be interested in what songs gaf would play in combat or while exploring.

Jira

Has anyone spent any thought on what kind of playlist they'll make for different situations? I'd be interested in what songs gaf would play in combat or while exploring.

I won't be using one for a long, long time, if ever. I LOVE Jeremy Soule's music.

Keasar

Too much love for Jeremy Soule to play it over with anything else, so I say the same as the guys above me.

Edit: Maybe, just maybe, I will play this when finally going up against Zhaitan.

Nymerio

Wow, this is a feature I'm really excited about and you don't even seem to care... I mean sure the soundtrack sounds great and all but sometimes I just want to listen to some stuff from my own collection. Can you mix the standard songs with your own music?

Jira

Wow, this is a feature I'm really excited about and you don't even seem to care... I mean sure the soundtrack sounds great and all but sometimes I just want to listen to some stuff from my own collection. Can you mix the standard songs with your own music?

Theoretically yes, they might have an option to let you do just that, if not I don't see why you wouldn't be able to rip the sounds out and put them into a custom mix with your own music. So I'd have to say the answer is yes in one way or another.

Mulligan

Banned
I'll take whatever i can get at this point so small press releases from beta are okay.. for now.

I also adore Jeremy Soules music and the GW2 OST is sounding glorious but i will make use of the custom soundtrack feature now and then, i like to have a nice mixture of genres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4YvkZeLrjs is usually my standard MMO boss fight tune.

Retro

It's a really overdone and unfunny meme. Just my opinion of course.

It was a Simpsons reference (before the Simpsons started to suck) first, but if it is overplayed maybe we should pass on it. Still, it's fitting.

I will probably stick with the default soundtrack as well, but I might tinker with it. Part of my problem is that the music wouldn't be designed specifically for games so it might start and stop at weird intervals.

At the most, if a certain zone's music starts to irritate me, I'll just turn it off or replace it with some Brian Eno.

Top Bottom