• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 News And Information Thread [Large Beta Weekends In March/April]

GrizzNKev

Banned
Oh and there ARE events that are only initiated through talking to NPCs or interacting with objects and such, they're not all going all the time.

Right, but even if they are initiated manually in some way, it could have been another player that started it.

ShaneB

I'm interested in seeing footage of the game running on lower end hardware, but I doubt we'll get that since it just makes sense to promote your game looking the best it can.

Jira

Right, but even if they are initiated manually in some way, it could have been another player that started it.

Right.

I'm interested in seeing footage of the game running on lower end hardware, but I doubt we'll get that since it just makes sense to promote your game looking the best it can.

Yeah that's unlikely to happen until Beta Weekends. I'm going to guess the NDA will drop with the press beta, if not then when the beta weekends starts in March. If you can get into the beta weekends through preordering that means to me that it's no longer really closed and if you want in you can get in. So I'd expect the NDA to drop in March at the latest.

Complistic

some new shots of an unrevealed multiplayer map
http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/2012/01/guild-wars-2-new-pvp-map/
gw021.jpg

gw037.jpg

gw045.jpg

gw056.jpg

These shots look odd, like whoever got them made them blurry by resizing them. Still I like the design.

Or it could just be the fog :p

Complistic

It almost looks like they (not arenanet, whoever got these from arenanet) upsized them then tried to soften them in photoshop so you couldn't tell.

edit: this is new as well
Step_11_2.jpg

Coxswain

Yeah that's unlikely to happen until Beta Weekends. I'm going to guess the NDA will drop with the press beta, if not then when the beta weekends starts in March. If you can get into the beta weekends through preordering that means to me that it's no longer really closed and if you want in you can get in. So I'd expect the NDA to drop in March at the latest.

I don't know how closely they're going to mirror the Guild Wars 1 alpha/beta test, but if they end up doing it the same way, the Beta Weekends are going to be "closed" (but really open to most anyone who wants in) with no NDA (but only a small, fairly polished slice of the actual game available for play), but the actual, full-game, full-time test is going to (continue to) operate under a rather strict NDA (I had to send in a physical, non-facsimile, pen-signed copy of the NDA agreement, along with a photocopy of my birth certificate/driver's license, when I got in, and the closed-test version of the client had a faint watermark of my e-mail address across the whole screen).

Jira

I don't know how closely they're going to mirror the Guild Wars 1 alpha/beta test, but if they end up doing it the same way, the Beta Weekends are going to be "closed" (but really open to most anyone who wants in) with no NDA (but only a small, fairly polished slice of the actual game available for play), but the actual, full-game, full-time test is going to (continue to) operate under a rather strict NDA (I had to send in a physical, non-facsimile, pen-signed copy of the NDA agreement, along with a photocopy of my birth certificate/driver's license, when I got in, and the closed-test version of the client had a faint watermark of my e-mail address across the whole screen).

That's an impressive way to stop leaks. I can't say I've ever seen any developer go to such lengths to stop leaks. Thanks for the info.

_woLf

That's an impressive way to stop leaks. I can't say I've ever seen any developer go to such lengths to stop leaks. Thanks for the info.

I've heard of similar tactics, developers hiding login information in specific colored channels that can only be seen when you disable other ones in a photoshop screenshot. Pretty crazy stuff.

Complistic

lol, they weren't dicking around were they?

Jira

Man this site has shopped the shit out of the new images today, ugh.

Norn in Scholar armor in Battle of Khylo

lPadG.jpg

Norn in Scholar armor in the PvP Lobby:

9ckKb.jpg

Man this site has shopped the shit out of the new images today, ugh.

Norn in Scholar armor in Battle of Khylo

lPadG.jpg

Norn in Scholar armor in the PvP Lobby:

9ckKb.jpg

Ya, they either messed with the screens, the screens are incredibly old, or the screens are on lowest settings.

There are way too many things just wrong with the screens, especially the girl in blue armor.

The hair looks incredibly bad compared to what we've already seen, the banners/signs in the background look pixelated, the closeup rooftop looks really off, the background is overly blurry, there seems to be no AA, etc. All you need to do is look at other screens that have been shown and it looks 10 fold better not to mention the footage we've seen so far.

For example, someone linked these on GW2 Guru to compare

charr.jpg

gw019k.jpg

The difference is astronomical. Something is definitely wrong with the new screens. Hell, the hair in Guild Wars 1 looks better. That should say it all.

ShaneB

I guess these lesser quality screens is a substitute for what I mentioned earlier in terms of seeing footage of the game on lesser hardware. Still looks fine to me in terms of what I'd be happy playing :D

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Guild Wars 2 confirmed for skimpy armor and bad graphics.

GG, WoW wins again.

I kid, but really, those screenshots of the Norn and the PvP map are not good looking screenshots.

Complistic

I really have no idea what they're doing to those screenshots, but it needs to stop.

Still I like the designs even if they're making it look like ass.

And no these hardly had girraffe necks compared to GW1

Elementalist_Ascalon_armor_f_gray_back_arms_legs.jpg

Boken

Banned
So what's everybody been doing while waiting for GW2?

I've been trying out some Perfect World International (leveling doesn't feel good) and Vindictus (looks nice, but its more like a single player arpg). Really tempted to resub to WoW or buy TOR. ugggh

ShdwDrake

Banned

I've been trying out some Perfect World International (leveling doesn't feel good) and Vindictus (looks nice, but its more like a single player arpg). Really tempted to resub to WoW or buy TOR. ugggh

Going through the same thing. Buying Kingdoms of Amalur though, I should be fine...

ShaneB

I'm open to suggestions, but my pushback has been that starting any MMO right now just feels like a stopgap if I know I'm going to drop it as soon as GW2 hits.

I resubbed to WoW, logged in, played for 2 minutes, and wondered what the heck I resubbed for. I can resist TOR as well unless some super deal comes along and I get the game for cheap, or until a trial comes along so I can see how it runs.

I really wish I had picked up Guild Wars 1 when it was on during a steam sale or something, or even something like Rift maybe.

I'm currently playing Skyrim, so that will likely keep me busy for a long time, but it feels so lonely compared to the draw of why I want to play an MMO right now. lol

I really can't play MMORPG's anymore while waiting for GW2. SWTOR was fun for a while but bored of it now, same with WoW. I just want to play GW2 or Diablo 3.

Playing with my 3DS a bit and Mass Effect 3 is coming.

And I bought some books, yes books, to read.

nataku

I was playing TOR, got to 50 on my Scoundrel and finished my class story, but ended up canceling. I have until the end of February to play it

TOR is just... I don't know. I can't put my finger on it, but the game just feels off to me. I guess it feels like I'm playing a game from 2-3 years ago. Plus there are so many little bugs and missing features that it really started to get irritating after a while. It's a shame because I really wanted it to be my subscription MMO next to GW2.

Ashodin

I was playing TOR, got to 50 on my Scoundrel and finished my class story, but ended up canceling. I have until the end of February to play it

TOR is just... I don't know. I can't put my finger on it, but the game just feels off to me. I guess it feels like I'm playing a game from 2-3 years ago. Plus there are so many little bugs and missing features that it really started to get irritating after a while. It's a shame because I really wanted it to be my subscription MMO next to GW2.

I'm also experiencing intense feelings of wanting to just wait instead of playing MMOs.

It's that feeling of "well, I know how amazing GW2 is, and this comes nowhere near" that stymies my interest in playing, well, ANYTHING.

Ya, they either messed with the screens, the screens are incredibly old, or the screens are on lowest settings.

There are way too many things just wrong with the screens, especially the girl in blue armor.

The hair looks incredibly bad compared to what we've already seen, the banners/signs in the background look pixelated, the closeup rooftop looks really off, the background is overly blurry, there seems to be no AA, etc. All you need to do is look at other screens that have been shown and it looks 10 fold better not to mention the footage we've seen so far.

Think it's just the game in it's current state is just a bit all over the place. All the pics for it seem inconstent to me, and various footage shows off parts that look amazing, and others not as much. Stuff will probably would improve when it goes live, could just be work in progress type of deal that a few polish passes will help.

I really enjoyed Ghosts of Ascalon, but Edge of Destiny was so bad that I couldn't finish it.

Dougal Keane needs to show up in-game.

Spoilers aside, I would definitely like to revisit Keane's memory if they can make that in-game. It would be nice to actually flesh out the storyline and I'm sure he'll be a major player.

Also from ArenaNet's blog: "Traveling through the Agora and the Grand Piazza, I imagine all the conversations that I’d want to have with NPCs, and what established characters we might expect to find—Dougal Keane, for example."

Here's a direct link: http://www.arena.net/blog/lions-arch-building-the-heart-of-the-city

Game looks incredible. I've put 550 hours into Guild Wars 1 and it was a blast, although Eye of the North was when everything came together, as I wasn't much into PvP.

inky

The only problem I see with GW2 is that everyone will be Charr, because -let's admit it- it's the coolest looking race of them all. :p

Retro

I (finally) have a new PC, as an early anniversary/"Please stop bitching about your old PC" present from the wife (who upgraded her PC last year at my insistence). So I've been getting that personalized and will probably be playing some games I just haven't been able to enjoy due to poor performance on my old rig. Beyond that, I still have Skyward Sword and Dark Souls to finish, along with the usual smattering of design projects I always have to work on.

It's easy right now to wait for GW2, since it's still in that nebulous space between testing phases known as "When it's done". I'll really start gritting my teeth and jonesin' for a fix when the info dam breaks during more open testing phases, and then the impatience will really heat up once we have a release date we can look forward to.

The only problem I see with GW2 is that everyone will be Charr, because -let's admit it- it's the coolest looking race of them all. :p

Charr do look interesting, and I probably will try one for something like a Ranger or Warrior. But I already know I'm going Human/Norn female for my Guardian (whichever one has the best hairstyles); I have a long-standing tradition of female Paladin-esque characters. Yes, I am one of those guys.

Helmholtz

Been getting back into Skyrim, and occasionally playing some TF2 and BF3. Will probably play Dota 2 if I get into the beta. Once GW2 is out I'm dropping all those games for a while.

Top Bottom