• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Second Expansion: Path of Fire - September 22

Moobabe

Other people answered already but

Dungeons have cosmetic skins, also tonics, runes and sigils, armor and weapon sets. Some dungeons actually have some functionally useful unique equipment like Monk runes from Ascalonian Catacombs or Aristocracy runes from Caudecus's Manor (used for healing builds and specific warrior builds respectively.)

Fractals are the main supported 5 man content. I would say they are a decent sized focus of the game. There are currently 18 mini dungeons. Doing fractals will give you currency which you can use to help get Ascended gear, a few unique skins, infusions, etc. Not as much a focus on cosmetics as pure dungeons.

As for Raids, each specific raid boss (there are 13 at the moment) upon defeat will have a chance at dropping a specific unique piece of equipment or mini. Doing raids will also get you currency that you can trade for the skins directly or trade for generic ascended gear if you want to gear more characters or something like that. There are also some raid specific infusions or tools like a bundle item that allows you to make portals for people.

The one thing that put me off was the amount of tokens you got for doing dungeons - I didn't want to run the same dungeon X many times just to get one piece of gear. I always felt there should have been a single "dungeon" currency that you could accumulate doing all of them...

What's the token requirement like in raids? How many times would you need to run it to get a bit of gear?

Fishious

That sounds amazing. Can you give me a few examples of said achievements to get me started?

Open up the hero menu [h]. Look for the tab on the left side near the bottom for achievements. There will be a whole bunch of categories and sub categories. I'll assume you have HoT. You'll see a green or red tear drop shaped symbol by some of the categories. These are mastery points and you can keep clicking through sub categories until it takes you to a page which lists out a bunch of achievements. Completing the ones with that symbol award a mastery point. For example, there's an achievement with a Core Tyria mastery point for killing each Triple Trouble Wurm.

There are categories for collections. Some of these require obtaining or using an item to unlock (mousing over most will tell you what you need). Then it will show several items for you to obtain in order to complete the collection. Usually you just need to obtain the item (and if it isn't automatically account bound you'll need to bind it) then you can get rid of it or whatever. The achievement page will keep track of what items you've collected similar to a quest journal. Once complete you'll get the reward shown on the left side of the UI. For example, there's a collection to obtain a bunch of vendor trash items to get the title "Honorary Skritt".

Other kinds of collections may have you go to certain places and interact with certain objects. In Auric Basin there's an achievement to read each of the tablets in Tarir, then find Herta which rewards an item that can convert mostly useless resources that players have tons of into slightly less worthless items several times a day.

Some can be a combination such as the Mawdry collection which has you grow your own plant monster to live on your back. Similarly the collections for legendary weapons (except the most recent ones) send you all over the place to visit specific places, do specific meta events for an item, craft stuff, etc to build each tier of your legendary.

Hope that helps.

The one thing that put me off was the amount of tokens you got for doing dungeons - I didn't want to run the same dungeon X many times just to get one piece of gear. I always felt there should have been a single "dungeon" currency that you could accumulate doing all of them...

What's the token requirement like in raids? How many times would you need to run it to get a bit of gear?

A full clear of all wings of a particular dungeon can be done in 45 minutes. With three wings cleared you get 300 dungeon tokens. In two clears you can buy a weapon with some change.

Morokh

A full clear of all wings of a particular dungeon can be done in 45 minutes. With three wings cleared you get 300 dungeon tokens. In two clears you can buy a weapon with some change.

Also at every boss you get a change to drop a piece of ascended gear that might be a Raid specific skin.
Edit : Ugh I'm talking about Raids myself, that might have been about dungeons ... xD

Maybe I should pick this up again. Most fun leveling experience there is of all MMOs. However I have to say I really, really dislike the combat system in dungeons and pretty much everywhere else except when soloing. Simple trinity just works better than this in my opinion. Never played GW1 but heard it had really good system.

Hope there will be GW3 with more traditional combat system. Not necessarily like in FFXIV or WoW, but that there is clearly tank, healer and dps roles.

JSoup

Banned
Is it possible to switch classes in this game without completely starting over?
Didn't realize all the classes had an autofire skill. :/

WELL. I'm a tad annoyed.
I played GW2 initially during a free week thing they had going on a long while before the base game became free.
Then when the game became free, I couldn't access my old character. I was told by other players it was probably deleted in the transition between the two systems.
Now my account will only access the first character and my more complete one is gone.

WELL. I'm a tad annoyed.
I played GW2 initially during a free week thing they had going on a long while before the base game became free.
Then when the game became free, I couldn't access my old character. I was told by other players it was probably deleted in the transition between the two systems.
Now my account will only access the first character and my more complete one is gone.

Contact support and tell them your issue, hopefully they can work that out for you.

If you get the expansion, you get a free 80 anyway. If you pick up HoT as well, that's two free 80s.

JSoup

Banned
Contact support and tell them your issue, hopefully they can work that out for you.

If you get the expansion, you get a free 80 anyway. If you pick up HoT as well, that's two free 80s.

Might just get the expansions, then. The content goes pretty quickly.

j-wood

Bought both expansions last night. I originally had a lvl 80 Slyvaian Elementalist that I beat the personal story with.

But I never did any of the living season stuff. There have been so many changes I was completely lost on the Ele lol. So I started over and made a human Reveanent. Is that a pretty good class?

Morokh

Looks like there is some WwW info coming this week too :
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/Where-are-the-new-WvW-content/first#post6663616

Official FAQ said:
Q: Will there be a beta test or early access?

A: We will hold two preview weekend experiences, during which every player with a Guild Wars 2 account in good standing can jump in and play selected expansion content. In the first preview weekend, running August 11-13, players will get a taste of the first open-world map of the expansion and the raptor mount. In the second preview weekend, running August 18-20, players can create demo characters and play in Player vs. Player or World vs. World with the nine new elite specializations. If you don't have a Guild Wars 2 account, you can register here to play the preview weekend event and the core Guild Wars 2 game for free! Please keep checking http://guildwars2.com/path-of-fire for more information as it becomes available.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Has there been an increased requirement hardware wise? My 560ti cant really cut it anymore if there is. How busy are the older zones? I feel the itch returning lol. Hot being 20 might be worth jumping in for.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The current game is 34gigs....Gaile Grey has confirmed the PoF expansion will bring the game to 50gigs...get to downloading to those who want to test it out for free next weekend..

Was gonna ask if you mean pre-load the expac, until I realized you meant download the game :p

Taffer

Has there been an increased requirement hardware wise? My 560ti cant really cut it anymore if there is. How busy are the older zones? I feel the itch returning lol. Hot being 20 might be worth jumping in for.

No official word but the required specs are now 64-bit only:

GW2:
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or better
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or better
NVIDIA GeForce 7800, ATI Radeon X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
2 GB RAM
25 GB available HDD space
Broadband Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse

PoF:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or better
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTS, ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT
Free Disk Space: 50 GB

Bought both expansions last night. I originally had a lvl 80 Slyvaian Elementalist that I beat the personal story with.

But I never did any of the living season stuff. There have been so many changes I was completely lost on the Ele lol. So I started over and made a human Reveanent. Is that a pretty good class?

They're pretty middle of the road overall. Great class for soloing and have some of the coolest, flashiest skills in the game.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Expansion is worth it just for access to this

WQnFhiH.jpg

Hupsel

Im finally playing HoT now. Leveling seems slow since the exp bar is used to unlock abilities that you use in the jungle. Veteran mobs can still wreck you pretty easily... Kinda cool to see that soloing isn't as brain dead easy as WoW. Playing Ele love the spell animations. Anything I should be doing in the jungle to level faster or just grind group content?

:O

I should probably log in now that I have access to my account again haha.

Preview is next weekend and doesn't require pre-order yet, right?
Yep. 11th through 13th :)

Im finally playing HoT now. Leveling seems slow since the exp bar is used to unlock abilities that you use in the jungle. Veteran mobs can still wreck you pretty easily... Kinda cool to see that soloing isn't as brain dead easy as WoW. Playing Ele love the spell animations. Anything I should be doing in the jungle to level faster or just grind group content?

Leveling in HOT is all about the Meta events.

Ashodin

There's actually TWO preview weekends as well, so this weekend will be testing the first new zone + mount, and the weekend after will be entirely about elite specializations.

Jira

If they went with a single dungeon currency, people would only do one single dungeon and one path, ever. No other dungeon would get touched. I mean not that they do anymore anyways but yeah.

Just got to Bitterfrost Frontier, goddamn this zone is beautiful

It's amazing, but I wish that 75% of the zone was just the gigantic forest. I want a zone that's a hyper dense traditional forest with gigantic trees like that. Like the tree top levels from Donkey Kong Country.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's amazing, but I wish that 75% of the zone was just the gigantic forest. I want a zone that's a hyper dense traditional forest with gigantic trees like that. Like the tree top levels from Donkey Kong Country.

I wish you don't get CHILLED 90% of the time.

Hell I wish the elixir makes you immune to Chilled.

Warriors have never been trash. Maybe you didnt like their playstyle, or didnt play enough to learn the class

Nah I was a beast with my warrior in PVP and WvW battles.

At one point they were not on par PVP wise with every other class (not that I noticed but at least that was what everyone claimed on the warrior forums).

I could be wrong but I believe at one point the GW2 forum was filled with people claiming that Warriors are no up to par
for PVP. I may have to download the game to see what's new.

Just hit 40 with my Human Warrior last night after finally coming back from hiatus and ran Ascalonian Catacombs for the first time, story mode and all that. On one hand, it was cutscene overload, felt like I was getting the dialog cutaways every 30 seconds and had some Diablo 3 levels of "jesus Adelbern just shut up already", but the architecture and hitting up the ghosts of the other bosses like Nente gave me some serious Guild Wars Pre-Searing nostalgia feels. Looking forward to seeing the other dungeons; the queue wasn't too bad for AC, but I did notice there were only like two groups running it, so I'm expecting that pugging the others will probably be a fair bit harder.

Just hit 40 with my Human Warrior last night after finally coming back from hiatus and ran Ascalonian Catacombs for the first time, story mode and all that. On one hand, it was cutscene overload, felt like I was getting the dialog cutaways every 30 seconds and had some Diablo 3 levels of "jesus Adelbern just shut up already", but the architecture and hitting up the ghosts of the other bosses like Nente gave me some serious Guild Wars Pre-Searing nostalgia feels. Looking forward to seeing the other dungeons; the queue wasn't too bad for AC, but I did notice there were only like two groups running it, so I'm expecting that pugging the others will probably be a fair bit harder.

Explorable modes are the "real" version of the dungeons and are less grating in that regard. That said, dungeons have always been lack luster and fractals / raids are the real pve content of the game.

Ashodin

I'm still hopeful that Guardians or Warriors see paragon as an elite spec, but PoF seems like it would've been prime time so idk.

I think they want to subvert expectations and make GW2 its own thing, 250 years have passed after all. Traditions would get diluted or crystallized into different practices.

I just want to be my angry book nerd.

I think they want to subvert expectations and make GW2 its own thing, 250 years have passed after all. Traditions would get diluted or crystallized into different practices.

I just want to be my angry book nerd.
I think you're probably right, but personally I think they should embrace the heritage.

Spyware

What would "Paragon" be tho? Adding (land) spears as weapons is pretty much out of the question. Which would just make people angry if they still call it Paragon. Pretty much everything else about the GW1 Paragons are already in Warrior and Guardan shouts/fire skills/traits.

I love GW2, and Guild Wars Nightfall was a fantastic game in its own right. It was one of the few video games that I have played that really took its african and middle eastern folklore and mythology inspirations seriously. I love all the new africa-esque hairstyles and faces. They are really cool.
Nightfall had a distinct art artyle, but sadly a lot of the art that used to be floating around points to dead links. I really hope that this expansion will recapture the atmospheric feel of Nightfall. It felt like no other fantasy game I have played before. It wasn't a "desert expansion" or something like that. It was its completely own thing.

Of all the new Elite Specializations, the Weaver sounds insane. I've never really played Elementalist, but I have to try it as the first thing, I think! It has to be - bar none, be the most disruptive of all the elite specializations. In HoT it was Druid without a doubt.

Doikor

I'm still hopeful that Guardians or Warriors see paragon as an elite spec, but PoF seems like it would've been prime time so idk.

Adding paragon would mean that they pretty much would have to add their iconic weapon to the game which is the (land throwing) spear. Which would mean they would have to add it as available weapon to about half the other classes too as a minimum. Not sure how that would thematically work.

I doubt anet is adding a new weapon type to the game until every (or one) class has access to every current weapon through new specializations.

About the music. Both Factions and Nightfall had amazing music. I played GW1 for around 3000 hours (mostly GvG) and listening to the soundtracks always brings back good memories :)

KiteGr

Focus on the glide mastery. Unlike the rest, it carries over to all othe maps and future expansions. From the rest, just make sure you have the mushroom jumping (used in the living world maps) and the exalted portal (used in the AB meta).
The 6 maps added by living world season 3 are fantastic.

Top Bottom