• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Second Expansion: Path of Fire - September 22

Ironically, I created a warrior because of the big swords and ended up liking longbows the most.

After playing a hunter (or huntard) in WoW for many years, I found the ranger kinda lacking..especially in the pet area. Hence why I stopped at 25..mind you reinstalling windows 10 to get rid of the dell crap didn't help either as I didn't feel like reinstalling the game for a few weeks.

But I've been playing a Pally (horde) in WoW and enjoying it a lot so I figure I try a warrior in GW 2 and I'm enjoying it.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting to be able to get the next x-pac of GW2 under 40 bucks so that was a bonus.

So I just picked up HOT, but never actually bothered to get a character up to level cap. Should I just manually level my level 36 warrior until I hit cap and then burn my boost on something else like a revenant or should I just burn it now? Will I miss out on anything? I know the zones adjust your level, so...part of me wants to just burn it now, and part of me feels like that's cheating if I haven't even gotten up to cap once.

Sioul

So I just picked up HOT, but never actually bothered to get a character up to level cap. Should I just manually level my level 36 warrior until I hit cap and then burn my boost on something else like a revenant or should I just burn it now? Will I miss out on anything? I know the zones adjust your level, so...part of me wants to just burn it now, and part of me feels like that's cheating if I haven't even gotten up to cap once.

To be honest hitting 80 is really fast by just doing random stuff in the maps. Are you enjoying the core maps and intends to get map completion? Do the normal route. Are you tired of completing maps and doing personal story? Booster that character and start doing HoT content.
I prefer doing the normal leveling, completing maps, gathering crafting resources and leveling my crafting but there is no right answer, anyway you will revisit a lot of content for getting collections and stuff.

To be honest hitting 80 is really fast by just doing random stuff in the maps. Are you enjoying the core maps and intends to get map completion? Do the normal route. Are you tired of completing maps and doing personal story? Booster that character and start doing HoT content.
I prefer doing the normal leveling, completing maps, gathering crafting resources and leveling my crafting but there is no right answer, anyway you will revisit a lot of content for getting collections and stuff.

I think the only thing I've ever had real trouble with is keeping up with crafting. I hate crafting systems in most games and the only one I could even remotely stomach was wow's, mainly because I already knew it pretty well.

Jira

Leveling to 80 normally will teach you a lot about your character that you need to know in order to not get slaughtered in HoT zones.

I think the only thing I've ever had real trouble with is keeping up with crafting. I hate crafting systems in most games and the only one I could even remotely stomach was wow's, mainly because I already knew it pretty well.

Don't worry about crafting other than the XP. You can worry about it at 80 when you need it.

Ashodin

These new black guy faces whew

VybqIcs.png
C2mbTu1.png

Slayven get in here

And black girl faces whew

gm7eh8C.png

jq2PPnJ.png

ya'll they done good

Elona always was the best continent, with pre-searing Ascalon close behind. Cantha, as much as I loved the Jade Sea, was always in last place.

Jira

Wooden Potatoes and a couple other streamers confirmed that the developers said PoF has more ground space/size than HoT and all the LS3 maps combined.

Damn that's a large playable space across the total maps.

Leveling to 80 normally will teach you a lot about your character that you need to know in order to not get slaughtered in HoT zones.

Yeah, just messing around in Tyria with my warrior had me remembering a lot about remembering how (and more importantly, when) to dodge, to say nothing about how the character actually plays.

Now that I've got a bit of confidence in, y'know, not immediately dying, I should invest in some new skills and actually do one of the dungeons.

Indignate

Time stamp?

Stolen from the comments.

39:50 Gameplay starts
47:07 Mount gameplay
1:29:45 Weaver (ele)
1:43:37 Scourge (necro)
1:53:06 Spellbreaker (warrior)
2:00:55 Deadeye (thief)
2:07:00 Mirage (mesmer)
2:17:30 more Mount gameplay

Hupsel

So dungeons and raids are not the focus of the game, right? What do they award, tokens so you can change it for cosmetic skins?

So dungeons and raids are not the focus of the game, right? What do they award, tokens so you can change it for cosmetic skins?

Cosmetic rewards. Dungeons have unique armor runes that are still useful.

Raids have unique and prestigious cosmetic rewards. There's also the long term goal of legendary armor that can change stat sets and runes at any time.

Raids and Fractals is the main focus, Dungeons are DEAD, i rather dungeons over fractals, but when they nerf dungeon gold reward they effectively killed dungeons, about a year ago they gave back some of the gold to dungeons but it came with a stipulation, you had to run 8 different dungeons path to earn 5 extra gold reward, that brought back some life to dungeons, but still dead compare to pre-HoT release..

docbon

Dungeons award tokens for exotic quality gear and runes / sigils, and raids have a chance to drop ascended quality gear specific to each boss. You also get a raid currency you can exchange for items.

Massicot

Other people answered already but

Dungeons have cosmetic skins, also tonics, runes and sigils, armor and weapon sets. Some dungeons actually have some functionally useful unique equipment like Monk runes from Ascalonian Catacombs or Aristocracy runes from Caudecus's Manor (used for healing builds and specific warrior builds respectively.)

Fractals are the main supported 5 man content. I would say they are a decent sized focus of the game. There are currently 18 mini dungeons. Doing fractals will give you currency which you can use to help get Ascended gear, a few unique skins, infusions, etc. Not as much a focus on cosmetics as pure dungeons.

As for Raids, each specific raid boss (there are 13 at the moment) upon defeat will have a chance at dropping a specific unique piece of equipment or mini. Doing raids will also get you currency that you can trade for the skins directly or trade for generic ascended gear if you want to gear more characters or something like that. There are also some raid specific infusions or tools like a bundle item that allows you to make portals for people.

Ashodin

Not only that but Achievements unlike other games give you a direction for content to clear. And you can track any of them so they appear just like quests in your log.

Hellers

Necromancer is good if you're struggling with basic survivability. That's usually what I use when I play group content with randoms (i.e., people I can't trust to stay alive). It's never going to be top DPS, but go heavy on minions and you can really tank open world content, even solo.

Yup. Took my minion necro into LWS3 episode 1 and had no problems at all. I suppose it's handy that mastery is account bound :)

Shame I'm on holiday when Path of Fire launches

K.Sabot

Aight rip my old account for now, just bought HoT for the first time and put it on a new one for now.

Lvl 80 boost and I'm back where I need to be to play HoT.

Bought mine from them this evening, worked fine.

Rolled up a Revenant because hey they're new and I love Dark Knights. I've got a few old characters who all got "birthday presents" that include some leveling boosts (Straight to level 20 -> 30 -> 40), so I popped it to 30 which was about the highest level I got before I quit way back in the day. Running around crushing things in the opening zones haha while I do the story + get used to things again.

Dizzy-4U

Watching the wooden potatos stream. Man, the raptor's animation is really nice. It feels like it has weight and momentum.

Morokh

Damn it Woodenpotatoes doesn't have all classes , AuroraPeachy does have a bit of every one buit she didn't capture the skill bar cause she messed up the resolution, and most others only have on or two that WP already showed D:

Ashodin

Damn it Woodenpotatoes doesn't have all classes , AuroraPeachy does have a bit of every one buit she didn't capture the skill bar cause she messed up the resolution, and most others only have on or two that WP already showed D:

You have this weekend, sheesh :p

One of the most potentially hilarious things I heard from WP is that the devs had made a build with the Holosmith that deliberately overheats and self destructs while using the A.E.D. heal skill to survive which sounds like the best possible troll pvp build.

This is nice but man I have not played since HoT. Last I remember, Warriors were trash. I refused to reroll from warrior so I decided to just stop playing.

This is nice but man I have not played since HoT. Last I remember, Warriors were trash. I refused to reroll from warrior so I decided to just stop playing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "warriors were trash". Warriors are a bit weak in PvP at the moment, but they have a constant presence in PvE to this day and are practically considered manditory. Do you mean you just didn't like the direction of the class?

Dizzy-4U

So apparently they had a spider mount at some point but some of the devs were freaked out by it so they canned the idea. Can't really blame them, seeing a bunch of giant spiders inside the cities would've been too much for those with arachnophobia.

Warriors are meta in raid. As a matter of fact I have been playing warrior as my main since the release of the base game 5 years ago.

Last I played 5 months ago, the raid meta was 2 warriors, 2 chronos,1 or 2 druids and the rest condi rangers/engi.

Before that the meta was still 2 warriors, 2 druid, 2 chronos and 4 eles.

War and guardian are meta in wvw.

War is amazing in normal pve, you run fast and survive forever.

Anyway, this is all to say that warriors were never trash and still aren't.

Freeman76

Warriors have never been trash. Maybe you didnt like their playstyle, or didnt play enough to learn the class

Femto.

Going based off WPs post show, Spellbreaker doesn't seem to have much use in PvE?

Unless they give mobs boons or something.

Morokh

They've done it in the first map of Season 3, so that might have been a test run for this, who knows.
From what we've seen so far there are more than a few things that have been used in season 3 that look like they have been used as experiments for this expansion.

Not only that but Achievements unlike other games give you a direction for content to clear. And you can track any of them so they appear just like quests in your log.

That sounds amazing. Can you give me a few examples of said achievements to get me started?

Freeman76

They've done it in the first map of Season 3, so that might have been a test run for this, who knows.
From what we've seen so far there are more than a few things that have been used in season 3 that look like they have been used as experiments for this expansion.

Yes this is where LS is almost a BETA for new systems they want to implement. It was the same before, Dry Top with the vertical exploration and Silverwastes with the map wide meta event.

Going based off WPs post show, Spellbreaker doesn't seem to have much use in PvE?

Mostly just speculation.

In the open world everything is viable that will include Spell Breaker.

Fractals are a bit more challenging but I can see Spell Breakers having some use there.

But immense boom removal, condition denial, intense counter attack play, stealth block, just seems built do dominate in PvP. Their F2 skill is literally Marth's counter from Smash Brothers.

I can see a viable Strength(Or Arms) / Tactics / Spell Breaker build in PvE but I don't know if it can replace the Berserk equivalent.

Unless there is a good chunk of content where high boon strip is integral to survival.

Top Bottom