• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Second Expansion: Path of Fire - September 22

Some Twitch streamers have first story mission footage courtesy of Anet..Holosmith in action, but since the game is less than 2 months away i refuse to watch any of that..

Hellers

HoT onwards the game became far, far too hard for me. The maps in HoT didn't really let you avoid the masses of tougher mobs most of the time and I just could not find a build for any of my characters that would let me fight comfortably.

I just took a few characters into the first episode of LWS3 tonight. Christ. It's like Arenanet built a map and just dumped mobs over every square inch.

Guy. I can't play for shit. What am I doing wrong? It's not like I even got gear that made me glass cannon builds. I got health and toughness and stuff. Whenever I try to play it's just frustration.

Hellers

Bloodstone Fen has tons of dudes, but they toned it down HARD for Ember Bay.

One nice thing I did notice while in Bloodstone Fen. The events were giving me masses of mastery XP so it could be a nice way to catchup.

Should I just carry on a bit and see how it goes then?

Ashodin

One nice thing I did notice while in Bloodstone Fen. The events were giving me masses of mastery XP so it could be a nice way to catchup.

yeah the mastery XP is through the roof there.

Hellers

yeah the mastery XP is through the roof there.

I think ultimately I need to pick a main and stick with it for a while. I've got every class at 80 and geared to a decent level but I can't decide which one I like the most. I suppose the one I've had the most success with is my necromancer.

If you gonna do the Living Story season 3 episode missions? you shouldn't have too hard of a time until you reach Lake Doric that final mission is annoying, also the final mission for the latest episode, that boss fight can go fuck itself..

Ashodin

Is it poor form to complain about the lack of dungeons? I haven't played this game in years, what kind of small group content is there to do?

Fractals are the ultimate group content here. They have added new fractals all the time.

I originally purchased GW2, but haven't played since HoT came out. I've got a few questions.

1) Do I still need to purchase HoT, or should I just wait until this comes out?
2) How long would it take me to max a character out? Would it be feasible before the release of this?

Anno

Someone on reddit said that mounts are disabled in cities. No idea if that's true but god I hope it is. That's the #1 reason I didn't really want to see them added to the game.

Massicot

HoT onwards the game became far, far too hard for me. The maps in HoT didn't really let you avoid the masses of tougher mobs most of the time and I just could not find a build for any of my characters that would let me fight comfortably.

I just took a few characters into the first episode of LWS3 tonight. Christ. It's like Arenanet built a map and just dumped mobs over every square inch.

Guy. I can't play for shit. What am I doing wrong? It's not like I even got gear that made me glass cannon builds. I got health and toughness and stuff. Whenever I try to play it's just frustration.

Is your gear exotic level (Orange?) or is it like a mix of masterworks and rares (Greens, Yellows) ?

I originally purchased GW2, but haven't played since HoT came out. I've got a few questions.

1) Do I still need to purchase HoT, or should I just wait until this comes out?
2) How long would it take me to max a character out? Would it be feasible before the release of this?

1.Yes still need to purchase it, it won't come free with the new expansion they way GW2 came free with HoT expansion..Standard PoF expansion is $30, HoT is $20.

2. If you play everyday, yes you can max level before PoF expansion drops..plus it really doesn't take long to level once you start to understand GW2 leveling mechanics, in GW2 everything gives you XP, just uncovering a part of the map will give you XP, gathering gives XP, also GW2 leveling isn't like the standard MMO, it's not a vertical progression, it's horizontal...

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I have to buy heart of thrones separately? I thought that all previous stuff was supposed to be included in each new expansion?

Massicot

I have to buy heart of thorns separately? I thought that all previous stuff was supposed to be included in each new expansion?

They said they planned to offer HoT and future expansions available for one price...that price just happens to be 50 dollars (30+20). They technically didn't break what they said, but only technically. Bit of a bummer.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
They said they planned to offer HoT and future expansions available for one price...that price just happens to be 50 dollars (30+20). They technically didn't break what they said, but only technically. Bit of a bummer.
I suppose, I had to take a long break from gw vanilla right before hot came out for school and work. Then when I had time I thought I would just wait and get it all at once. The price is fair, I just think I'll be way far behind now. Might just pass and move on.

Kalentan

For those interested Season 3 of the Living Story is now sold as a Complete Edition in the Gem Store for 800 gems which is $10 or I think 200g or so?

Also the new expansion hair styles and such are already ingame in the Makeover kit.

Massicot

Also the new expansion hair styles and such are already ingame in the Makeover kit.

Damnit, I think i only have 1 or 2 kits in my bank and I have like 20 barbies

Time to whip out the credit card

btsku.jpg

Kalentan

Damnit, I think i only have 1 or 2 kits in my bank and I have like 20 barbies

Time to whip out the credit card

btsku.jpg

Although it maybe glitched? At least in my Full Makeover Kit, it doesn't show any of the new hair styles despite both the Gem Store and the Patch Notes saying they're.

I think ultimately I need to pick a main and stick with it for a while. I've got every class at 80 and geared to a decent level but I can't decide which one I like the most. I suppose the one I've had the most success with is my necromancer.
Necromancer is good if you're struggling with basic survivability. That's usually what I use when I play group content with randoms (i.e., people I can't trust to stay alive). It's never going to be top DPS, but go heavy on minions and you can really tank open world content, even solo.

I suppose, I had to take a long break from gw vanilla right before hot came out for school and work. Then when I had time I thought I would just wait and get it all at once. The price is fair, I just think I'll be way far behind now. Might just pass and move on.
Far behind in what way, though? Guild Wars 2 isn't like most other MMOs, they haven't introduced a new higher tier of gear since 2013 (which is supposedly always going to remain the best gear). You obviously won't have Heart of Thorns masteries at the start, but it seems like this expansion is being designed so you don't need them anyway.

But if you're still worried it probably wouldn't take you more than a month to get caught up with most of Heart of Thorns's content.

Wanderer5

Ugh why this must be so close to Metroid. D: Glad this expansion is cheaper than HoT. Much as the 4k gems is a bit tempting (I don't care about the deluxe stuff at all really), regular edition it shall be.

Blade25

Wait a minute, did someone say horizontal progression? Has Guild Wars 2 always been a horizontal progression MMO? I'm a sucker for this type of progression.

Also does GW 2 have a lot of PVE content? I only have the base game right now, but was under the impression that a majority of the end game revolved around PVP.

corin7

Neo Member
Necromancer is good if you're struggling with basic survivability. That's usually what I use when I play group content with randoms (i.e., people I can't trust to stay alive). It's never going to be top DPS, but go heavy on minions and you can really tank open world content, even solo.

Also GW2 is def about not getting hit. Timing your dodges and evasion skills appropriately is really important.

Anno

Wait a minute, did someone say horizontal progression? Has Guild Wars 2 always been a horizontal progression MMO? I'm a sucker for this type of progression.

Also does GW 2 have a lot of PVE content? I only have the base game right now, but was under the impression that a majority of the end game revolved around PVP.

Yes it has always been focused on horizontal progression. The current level and stat spreads shouldn't increase.

There's tons of PvE content of all levels, don't worry about that.

Sounds like you've been missing out! The vast majority of progression in the game is horizontal, much of that purely cosmetic. They've never raised the level cap, and never will, and the best gear in the game has been basically static for literally four years now. This new expansion won't be changing that either.

GW2 PVE vanilla at launch was probably the largest game I've ever purchased, and it's only grown since. It's a freaking enormous world, and even after spending a couple weeks leisurely getting to the level cap you'll probably have seen only a third of it at best. I personally like PVP myself, but very little of the game's focus is on that. Challenging end game content is more about Fractals and Raids, both PVE. But since it's so relatively easy to achieve max power in the game (or more realistically, 98% of max power, which is good enough), ultimately any end game goals are up to you. People collect cosmetic skins and titles, explore the huge world, socialize, make alts, play the trading post, etc.

Also GW2 is def about not getting hit. Timing your dodges and evasion skills appropriately is really important.
Definitely, especially in the newer zones where enemies throw out far larger AOEs. You need your invincibility frames to be well-timed if you're going to really succeed.

of course. You just have to use the DPS Tome (I would assume each Tome is reminiscient of the virtues - Might for DPS, Resolve for Heals, Courage for Support)

I wonder if the tomes have engi kit cooldowns or ele attunement cooldowns.

I'm happy that Engi, Ele, and Guard are getting such cool looking specs.

Femto.

I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS HYPED SINCE PRE GW2!!

ELONAAAAAA!!!!

I've been able to avoid spoilers and last week I was discussing with friends what weapons I wanted out of the xpac and I got my desired daggers for warrior and sword for elementalist!

RZTgE.gif

Bought.

Look forward to all the new stories and exploring the new maps.

Would have been nice for them to expand on Guild Mission as I have been bored of the current ones since before HoT.

The bounties system they talked about, did they say that was part of the Guild Missions system or something you do on your own and anyone can join on killing or capturing the bounties?

Jira

Bought.

Look forward to all the new stories and exploring the new maps.

Would have been nice for them to expand on Guild Mission as I have been bored of the current ones since before HoT.

The bounties system they talked about, did they say that was part of the Guild Missions system or something you do on your own and anyone can join on killing or capturing the bounties?

Someone starts it anyone can join in. It's at the bottom of the expansion page. Not guild related.

K.Sabot

this game needs your goddamned cd key and a name of a character to reset your password

I HAVEN'T PLAYED THIS GAME IN 3 YEARS

Chylo

Neo Member
I played GW2 casually from release, but dropped it shortly after HoT was released. Elona might pull me back, but Cantha was my favorite region from the first games. Have there been any hints about Cantha at all?

Went back in and started a warrior and actually find it much more enjoyable than a ranger (which I leveled to 25 a little while ago).

Would be about 38 bucks for the standard x-pac. Think I'll jump in again.

Top Bottom