• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Second Expansion: Path of Fire - September 22

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Okay I just looked at the vaguest of info, and haven't followed GW2 since *quite* shortly after launch but....
Apparently Balthazar is the bad guy!? Like God of Fire and War Balthazar? And you're trying to stop him from fighting the Elder Dragons? Are they not bad guys now? WHAT HAPPENED
General GW2 spoilers:

We discovered that killing an Elder Dragon releases their magic into the world. We kill one, and that dragon's magic is unbound and some of it is then fed on by the other dragons, who in turn grow stronger. Then killing another dragon releases their magic and the magic they absorbed from the first dragon. Point being that these explosions of unbound magic from the deaths of Elder Dragons are making Tyria unstable, and the death of a third (we killed two already, Zaithan and Mordremoth) Elder Dragon is likely to tear it apart.

We don't know much about Balthazar's motivations at this point, but we know he lost most of his powers and he is back on Tyria to try and regain them. He absorbed the explosion of one of the Bloodstones (the White Mantle was messing with one in the jungle), but this apparently wasn't enough. He now plans to kill Elder Dragons to feed on their magic when they die.

So we're fighting him because
1) He seems to be completely mad and we don't know what he is going to do with the power he is hoarding.
2) If he kills a third Elder Dragon, Tyria will likely start tearing itself apart from the influx of magic, even if Balthazar absorbs some of it.

Kalentan

I kind of stopped playing Heart of Thorns as I felt getting the upgrades required to progress in the story being rather grindy. Have they sped up that up ever since? All the skills seemed fine, but it took so long to even level up one thing :/

Significantly. If you have an EXP boost it can actually become insanely fast. Like if you do the big event in Auric Basin you can get upwards of half a million of exp from doing it. It's really good. You also could get nearly 10k per kill.

I got a lot of the masteries like that.

GW2 didn't age well. After HoT grindfest nothing I saw so far make me want to try it again :(

What... GW2 is only 5 years old and the new zones look great graphically. Also the HoT grind isn't really there anymore. It's easy to get the masteries.

I wish the price was 20€... I'm not sure about the mounts but then again I wasn't sure about the gliders either but I ended up liking them.

In any case I'm gonna wait for the players feedback before buying it or perhaps sales depending on what the expansion truly has to offer.

Kalentan

I wish the price was 20€... I'm not sure about the mounts but then again I wasn't sure about the gliders either but I ended up liking them.

In any case I'm gonna wait for the players feedback before buying it or perhaps sales depending on what the expansion truly has to offer.

...But the expansion is $20 cheaper at launch than the last one... How is that not much cheaper already?

Thanks everyone. Wasn't very familiar with the whole Living Story Season concept, but it sounds cool.

I might have to pick up HoT with the bundle. Very excited to get back into the game!

Laiza

Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything from the stream that convinces me that this is the one to get me to give this one another go.

I'd be more interested in seeing a sequel from them at this point.

What... GW2 is only 5 years old and the new zones look great graphically.
Eh. By MMORPG standards, maybe. The game was never particularly hot graphically, however, and the lack of any noticeable improvements at this point means it's aged pretty poorly. At least by my eyes, anyway.

...But the expansion is $20 cheaper at launch than the last one... How is that not much cheaper already?

So? I bought HOT on sales for 15euro. Like I said 20 bucks would have been my personal sweet spot, unfortunately it is not, so I will wait and see the playerbase' reviews.

Massicot

Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything from the stream that convinces me that this is the one to get me to give this one another go.

I'd be more interested in seeing a sequel from them at this point.

Eh. By MMORPG standards, maybe. The game was never particularly hot graphically, however, and the lack of any noticeable improvements at this point means it's aged pretty poorly. At least by my eyes, anyway.

I agree that it doesn't look stellar, but I think it looks pretty good for a 5 year old MMO. Why wouldn't you judge an MMO by MMO standards?

Sylas

What... GW2 is only 5 years old and the new zones look great graphically. Also the HoT grind isn't really there anymore. It's easy to get the masteries.

The combat still looks super floaty and a lot of the attacks have 0 impact on the enemies. From what I saw, enemies don't react at all to getting hit. It's a little disheartening. Plus, uh. What is there to do with those masteries other than grind out new ones? My issue with GW2 was that there wasn't really anything to do outside of grind events for the sake of grinding events. I wanted to love GW2 and I'll probably play this expansion, mostly because GW2 is a perfectly serviceable game, but it's an incredibly poor MMORPG.

Wanderer5

It might not the prettiest MMO out of there, but the art direction makes up for it honestly, especially for environment. The new maps look so beautiful.

Kalentan

So? I bought HOT on sales for 15euro. Like I said 20 bucks would have been my personal sweet spot, unfortunately it is not, so I will wait and see the playerbase' reviews.

Just saying. Making it sound like it's really expensive. I'd say $30 is the average price for paid MMO expansions.

Fair enough. I guess. GW2 has never been a graphical powerhouse but it's graphical style is still really good. Heart of Thorns and some of the new zones they've added since then are quite beautiful. It's no Black Desert but I'd argue the art style is a lot more pleasent and unique than it.

The combat still looks super floaty and a lot of the attacks have 0 impact on the enemies. From what I saw, enemies don't react at all to getting hit. It's a little disheartening. Plus, uh. What is there to do with those masteries other than grind out new ones? My issue with GW2 was that there wasn't really anything to do outside of grind events for the sake of grinding events. I wanted to love GW2 and I'll probably play this expansion, mostly because GW2 is a perfectly serviceable game, but it's an incredibly poor MMORPG.

Do raids? Fractals? The content is there to do that takes advantage of those masteries.

Cels

General GW2 spoilers:

so both balthazar and elder dragons are our enemies now? i mean zhaitan was fucking up orr and raising zombies and shit, i didn't play HoT but i know mordremoth was messing with the jungle. and of course the end of gw1 was about how that statue was really the dragon that made the destroyers which you had been fighting all throughout eotn.

Sylas

Do raids? Fractals? The content is there to do that takes advantage of those masteries.

Raids sound like they've been a pretty big mess and have a poor reward structure and have a massive grind tied to them in the form of legendary armor. Fractals were neat when I used to play but unless they actually did something with them, there was still very little reason to go at them repeatedly. Did they ever implement a leaderboard system for those? That'd be fun.

Kalentan

Raids sound like they've been a pretty big mess and have a poor reward structure and have a massive grind tied to them in the form of legendary armor. Fractals were neat when I used to play but unless they actually did something with them, there was still very little reason to go at them repeatedly. Did they ever implement a leaderboard system for those? That'd be fun.

What? The Raids have been pretty well received in the community. It's something people are actively looking forward to seeing more of.

They already have done various revamps for Fractals and just added a new one a week or so ago. I haven't personally done Fractals in a while but I know people are saying they're in a good spot right now.

Sylas

What? The Raids have been pretty well received in the community. It's something people are actively looking forward to seeing more of.

They already have done various revamps for Fractals and just added a new one a week or so ago. I haven't personally done Fractals in a while but I know people are saying they're in a good spot right now.

Ah, well! Consider me wrong about the raids. I've heard nothing but bad things from friends but hey. If the community likes'em. What is the reward structure like these days? When I stopped playing most of the new skins for weapons and armor were coming from the cash shop.

...Maybe I should just go to the OT. On the upside, I adore the new Elementalist look. Weaver sounds neat.

Massicot

I'm not sure where you heard Raids are a mess, I'm legitimately curious. For a while after the HoT launch the raid team was the only portion of the development that was progressing at a good clip before Season 3 started. A lot of the division in the player base was that people that wanted to Raid were getting new stuff to do while others were being left out to dry. Season 3 and updates to PVP and WvW since have kind of closed that rift. Not saying every update was perfect (especially PVP focused ones), but Raids have been consistent since their inception.

I'm not sure how the reward structure for raids should be altered. You have a chance for immediate loot, a currency that you gather for intermediate loot (that you can acquire more quickly if you trade in or salvage drops that you receive and don't want), and then the Legendary Armor as a long term goal. Completing portions of the legendary armor collections or achievements will also give titles and other reward boxes. How many more carrots are necessary?

Grudy

I'll probably buy it just to check out the maps, environments and all the tidbits of level design they throw around. And the Jumping Puzzles. I'm not too interested in the other stuff though.

wamberz1

Wow, this is coming next month?

Didn't heart of thorns have take like forever to come out after announcement? That's quite a speed up!

Lorcain

The new mounts look great. I started a new thief this past weekend and have enjoyed being a dual wielding gunslinger. Being able to swap to a long rifle would complete my Darktower character.

Jira

I don't understand this reasoning at all. There's so many things you can work towards that while doing so, the Masteries fill in along the way. I recently worked towards Dark Harvest and in doing so I got all of the masteries I didn't have in order to get it. You have to set your own goals.

Didn't heart of thorns have take like forever to come out after announcement? That's quite a speed up!

Yeah there was 9 months between the two and when they showed HoT then really couldn't show us much. Now we have a beta weekend next weekend with a release less than 2 months away. They pulled a FO4.

Ashodin

Definitely. It took at least 8 months because they basically were working from near scratch when they announced everything.

Sylas

I'm not sure where you heard Raids are a mess, I'm legitimately curious. For a while after the HoT launch the raid team was the only portion of the development that was progressing at a good clip before Season 3 started. A lot of the division in the player base was that people that wanted to Raid were getting new stuff to do while others were being left out to dry. Season 3 and updates to PVP and WvW since have kind of closed that rift. Not saying every update was perfect (especially PVP focused ones), but Raids have been consistent since their inception.

I'm not sure how the reward structure for raids should be altered. You have a chance for immediate loot, a currency that you gather for intermediate loot (that you can acquire more quickly if you trade in or salvage drops that you receive and don't want), and then the Legendary Armor as a long term goal. Completing portions of the legendary armor collections or achievements will also give titles and other reward boxes. How many more carrots are necessary?

I'll admit that my friends were wrong about raids. They just didn't like them I guess. For reward structure though, my biggest issue turned into Ascended gear being an absolute bitch to grind for and all of the interesting armor skins going into the cash shop. I play MMOs for the glamour, dammit! It got irritating to see every other piece of armor in a game that relies on aesthetics being one of it's primary motivators, be out of reach gameplay wise. Being able to buy gems with ingame money doesn't really count as gameplay to me, either. Grinding gold ain't fun in the slightest (plus the exchange rate was absurd when I played).

I get they gotta make money, but hey. I didn't like the monetization when I played. There's a chance that's changed and I'll get into the game again!

Dizzy-4U

Preview event next week huh? I wonder if you're able to keep your progress if you buy the expansion. Was there a preview event for HoT?

Proven

I can see myself dropping in for the base amount, trying out a few elite specs, and the disappearing back to Overwatch and Switch games for the next two years...

Elona was my favorite area in GW1, and seeing how much story they're putting into it plus the nods to the lore surrounding it makes me very happy.

Massicot

I'll admit that my friends were wrong about raids. They just didn't like them I guess. For reward structure though, my biggest issue turned into Ascended gear being an absolute bitch to grind for and all of the interesting armor skins going into the cash shop. I play MMOs for the glamour, dammit! It got irritating to see every other piece of armor in a game that relies on aesthetics being one of it's primary motivators, be out of reach gameplay wise. Being able to buy gems with ingame money doesn't really count as gameplay to me, either. Grinding gold ain't fun in the slightest (plus the exchange rate was absurd when I played).

I get they gotta make money, but hey. I didn't like the monetization when I played. There's a chance that's changed and I'll get into the game again!

I do agree that far too many skin sets go to the cash shop. Yea, technically you can get them with in game gold only but it doesn't come across much better. I think last I counted there were like 40 black Lion weapon sets, which seems pretty extreme.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But the Tengu are right there!
99Uj9iy.png

Smackdab in the middle of literally everyone! They have been teasing their territories since the launch of GW2 with Tengu guards just going "BLEEEH!" and not been doing anything with them. D:

i'm talking about rigging armor

Lmo911

I feel like I missed out too many things to come back. I haven't even finish the last personal story :(

GW2 is the one of the few MMOs where this problem isn't as bad as you would think. All you're really going to need to do is play through the content and unlock the new masteries and elite specs, neither of which is really that bad a grind.

The only major stuff you've missed out right are the living story seasons, but you can buy those as content packs if you want to play that content. They fill the gaps between the expansions story wise.

Go kill that Bone Dragon and get caught up! :D

Raids are in no way a mess. At all. Raids are the best PVE content the Guild Wars series has ever released. Period. Some of the best MMORPG PVE content I've ever played. Period.

The rewards are great. The content is great. Legendary armor is costly, but there are tons of other rewards that won't set you back anything except currency earned in raid.

The only problem with raids is that a number of players are rankled by the fact that there is heard content in game that not just anyone can beat.

Top Bottom