• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guinness Announces its Top 50 Videogame Franchises

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sonic at 15. I love the old Sonic games immensely, but that surprises me considering his modern offerings...

Lebron

2lmlxt5.gif

Platy

There is nothing more "troll" that a magazine can do than a "top" list

And ... HOLY INSANE LIST
LEGO
BATMAN !

Not much to say besides what it was already said

You know what? Maybe that list was really voted by "the people". The people are stupid with video games. Who here never heard a kid saying that Halo and CoD are the best game ever made even when they never played a game before. Just go to a local GameStop and listen to all the nonsense spoken in there. I believe they asked people, made a top 50 with the answers and done. Maybe this is a "Here's what the people answered when we asked what was their favorite franchise" list. With that in mind, yeah, that list makes sense.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I actually have no problem at all with calling Pong a franchise. Pong clones basically were the entire industry for the first few years.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
This is the best list ever, because we can all now finally agree on something together. All of us.

It. is. a. shitty. list. Rejoice! :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ZZMitch said:
guys Guys GUYS!

Its all going to be ok, because they got number 1 right!

Oh and Runescape... I wasted 3 years of my life on that game. Kill Me.

Funny. This is actually my biggest problem with the list.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ZZMitch said:
Halo is my favorite gaming franchise, yours is not.

Hilarious

Halo is a great franchise, but to conclude that it is somehow better than franchises that have endured for 25-30 years is totally preposterous.

Amneisac

Clearly this list was not made for or by hardcore video game nerds like us. Let's move along. I'm sure if you posted your top 50 favorite beers on some corksniffing beer drinker web site they'd mock you equally.

Why waste our time debating a list created by some bush league hobbyists when we could be turning our TVs sideways to play shmups and playing street fighter with hori sticks and ordering collector's editions of games that come with pewter figurines and buying saturn replica controllers off ebay because we know good d-pads and inverting our axes and buying hardback strategy guides and framing our Nintendo Power posters from 1994 and all that kind of stuff?

Beth Cyra

Hmm I stopped my hate fest for Halo long ago, granted I still don't see why it is so popular but hey people like what they like.

My big problem is the list is clearly from a strictly NA standpoint. No way Halo would have been voted Number 1 had it been a worldwide thing, I honestly can't see it happening. Even this gen alone Halo is no where near the highest rated or the highest selling game, both Mario and COD crush Halo 3.

But even if it is skewed to western audiences I do find it some what rediculous that Mario is number 3 and Halo only started Last gen, and COD only started to get big with COD2 and really only got super star status with COD 4 a few years ago, yet it is considered a better Franchise then Mario.

Weird.

mr_nothin

Banned
Guinness announces it's top 50 Uncharted 2 moments!

Ctrl+F
"Uncharted 2"
................................WTF

thetrin said:
Halo is a great franchise, but to conclude that it is somehow better than franchises that have endured for 25-30 years is totally preposterous.

I'm on the fence because Halo is also my favourite franchise, but at the same time i'm aware it doesn't deserve top spot.

Top 10? I'd say yes, but not top.

Having said that, you don't believe Halo will still be around in 15 to 20 years (in some fashion)?

If not, be interested to hear why.

Beth Cyra

iratA said:
This list a joke right? ...right?
Bah Lego Batman what is this?
No Uncharted wtf?
:lol

Maybe this right here is why I am not so negative about this list.

Halo over Mario? Completely wrong, but still Halo did several things, saved a system that would have died with out it, helped popularize FPS on Console, ushered in Online FPS gameplay for Console.

Halo deserves respect for what it has done, certainly not as much as a series that has lasted over twenty years and can span both small girl's to granpas and everyone between.

And yet you have people on Gaf decrying it being on the list and then post dumb shit like Uncharted that has done nothing, it hasn't shown any changing of the landscape (SM64, Halo 2) it hadsn't even sold particularly well to make it stand out but still you people have been saying it should be on the Top 50 franchise list having done dick all excpet be a a good action game (which I would disagree with but I admit I am in the minority) with high production values and good writing.

So really it is no worse they had nine year olds then it would have been if GAF it self had been the one to do it.

joetachi

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm on the fence because Halo is also my favourite franchise, but at the same time i'm aware it doesn't deserve top spot.

Top 10? I'd say yes, but not top.

Having said that, you don't believe Halo will still be around in 15 to 20 years (in some fashion)?

If not, be interested to hear why.
Simple really if the series gets abandoned by the original creators it could probably go down in quality and popularity. Gaming is full of IP that where big and lost their luster.

TruePrime said:
Maybe this right here is why I am not so negative about this list.

Halo over Mario? Completely wrong, but still Halo did several things, saved a system that would have died with out it, helped popularize FPS on Console, ushered in Online FPS gameplay for Console.

Halo deserves respect for what it has done, certainly not as much as a series that has lasted over twenty years and can span both small girl's to granpas and everyone between.

And yet you have people on Gaf decrying it being on the list and then post dumb shit like Uncharted that has done nothing, it hasn't shown any changing of the landscape (SM64, Halo 2) it hadsn't even sold particularly well to make it stand out but still you people have been saying it should be on the Top 50 franchise list having done dick all excpet be a a good action game (which I would disagree with but I admit I am in the minority) with high production values and good writing.

So really it is no worse they had nine year olds then it would have been if GAF it self had been the one to do it.

Great post.

So true

Top Bottom