• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guinness Announces its Top 50 Videogame Franchises

soldat7

Lebron said:
2lmlxt5.gif

I scoured the internet high and low for this, only to be beaten (by several hours.) :)

TruePrime said:
Maybe this right here is why I am not so negative about this list.

Halo over Mario? Completely wrong, but still Halo did several things, saved a system that would have died with out it, helped popularize FPS on Console, ushered in Online FPS gameplay for Console.

Halo deserves respect for what it has done, certainly not as much as a series that has lasted over twenty years and can span both small girl's to granpas and everyone between.

And yet you have people on Gaf decrying it being on the list and then post dumb shit like Uncharted that has done nothing, it hasn't shown any changing of the landscape (SM64, Halo 2) it hadsn't even sold particularly well to make it stand out but still you people have been saying it should be on the Top 50 franchise list having done dick all excpet be a a good action game (which I would disagree with but I admit I am in the minority) with high production values and good writing.

So really it is no worse they had nine year olds then it would have been if GAF it self had been the one to do it.

Are you saying Lego Batman belongs there more than Uncharted? Nobody is saying Uncharted should be number 1 but given the choices that are on there a series like Uncharted is a huge omission.

Beth Cyra

SuperSonic1305 said:
Are you saying Lego Batman belongs there more than Uncharted? Nobody is saying Uncharted should be number 1 but given the choices that are on there a series like Uncharted is a huge omission.

I said nothing of the sort, and have in fact said I disagree with the list. But I think trying to saying either Lego Batman or Uncharted II belong on the list is lunacy.

Really lets see some real franchises, that have stood the test of time, and remained highly rated or if not at least sold well.

If you can work Mega Man, which you could legitmally break up into individual series, but we will be fair and call it one, has lasted years, helped popularize mulitple genres and even if it is a tad slow continues to evolve even today. Uncharted has 2 games, neither has sold extremely well, neither has either of them weathered against time to see if they truly stand out amongst other games and franchises that are on or should be on a top 50 list.

And just encase one series isn't good enough to prove my point.

Command and Conquer, Sim City (I am sure this is rolled into the Sims, but honestly that is crazy talk as well.) Castlevania, Devil May Cry, BG. Street Fighter

All these games at the very least have done something, or been around to stand the test of time. Yet we have things like Lego Batman, God of War and other stuff that should be no where near this list and while I agree Uncharted should be there before Lego Batman it doesn't mean it should be on there, and certainly calling foul for it not being there when there are legitmate franchises that should be on there is dumb.

So yes I stick by my statement, people calling for Uncharted 2 to be on the list at least until genre creators are as bad as those that voted World of Warcraft as a franchise and ignored the fact that it is not a franchise and is actually the fouth game in the series.

Kard8p3

Hmm I keep looking over the list for Metroid but I must be overlooking it. I'm guessing Metroid surpassed even the obvious number one franchise Halo and became to good for this list.

Kard8p3 said:
Hmm I keep looking over the list for Metroid but I must be overlooking it. I'm guessing Metroid surpassed even the obvious number one franchise Halo and became to good for this list.
Wait-a-minute! You're right! Metroid isn't on there!

Uncharted isn't on there either! *gasp*

Dragon Quest isn't there either.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Halo over Mario?

Halo is popular but not as popular as Mario. Halo is well known in the West but can't say the same in the East.

I think this list is probably better.

Mooreberg

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I say GAF make our own list, voted by us.

The reaction wouldn't be any different. And we'd probably have even more people voting for a "franchise" that only has one installment.

wizword

Banned
Mooreberg said:
The reaction wouldn't be any different. And we'd probably have even more people voting for a "franchise" that only has one installment.
Nah. At least super mario bros would be #1. There won't be madden, or any sports games for that matter though.

Mael

fanboi said:
did you see that Grand Turismo is BELOW Killzone.

JESUS CHRIIIIIIIST
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
And you don't want to see my reaction over the top10

Cerberus said:

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Metal Gear
3. Super Mario
4. Final Fantasy
5. Half Life
6. Resident Evil
7. Metroid
8. Halo
9. Civilization
10. Shenmue
11. Super Smash Bros.
12. Street Fighter
13. Shin Megami Tensei
14. Diablo
15. Pokémon
16. Dragon Quest
17. Suikoden
18. Baldur´s Gate
19. Monkey Island
20. Warcraft
21. Mega Man
22. Grand Theft Auto
23. Fire Emblem
24. God of War
25. Mother
26. Castlevania
27. Gran Turismo
28. Ace Attorney
29. Silent Hill
30. Panzer Dragoon
31. Devil May Cry
32. Sonic
33. Ys
34. Kingdom Hearts
35. Command & Conquer
36. Metal Slug
37. Legacy of Kain
38. Monster Hunter
39. F-Zero
40. Tekken
41. DoDonPachi
42. SOCOM
43. Wipeout
44. Tomb Raider
45. Ultima
46. Chrono
47. The Elder Scrolls
48. Wario
49. Tales of
50. Beyond Good & Evil
51. Prince of Persia

I was inclined to agree that GAF's list would probably be bad, too, but this isn't.

Gomu Gomu

TruePrime said:
Maybe this right here is why I am not so negative about this list.

Halo over Mario? Completely wrong, but still Halo did several things, saved a system that would have died with out it, helped popularize FPS on Console, ushered in Online FPS gameplay for Console.

Halo deserves respect for what it has done, certainly not as much as a series that has lasted over twenty years and can span both small girl's to granpas and everyone between.

And yet you have people on Gaf decrying it being on the list and then post dumb shit like Uncharted that has done nothing, it hasn't shown any changing of the landscape (SM64, Halo 2) it hadsn't even sold particularly well to make it stand out but still you people have been saying it should be on the Top 50 franchise list having done dick all excpet be a a good action game (which I would disagree with but I admit I am in the minority) with high production values and good writing.

So really it is no worse they had nine year olds then it would have been if GAF it self had been the one to do it.
Awesome poster is awesome.

Cep

Banned
DarkPanda said:
It wasn't until I clicked on the link that I realized that this list was made by the world record people and not the beer company.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I am having major problems articulating the way I feel, the smileys will have to do...

Danielsan

Leondexter said:
1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Metal Gear
3. Super Mario
4. Final Fantasy
5. Half Life
6. Resident Evil
7. Metroid
8. Halo
9. Civilization
10. Shenmue
11. Super Smash Bros.
12. Street Fighter
13. Shin Megami Tensei
14. Diablo
15. Pokémon
16. Dragon Quest
17. Suikoden
18. Baldur´s Gate
19. Monkey Island
20. Warcraft
21. Mega Man
22. Grand Theft Auto
23. Fire Emblem
24. God of War
25. Mother
26. Castlevania
27. Gran Turismo
28. Ace Attorney
29. Silent Hill
30. Panzer Dragoon
31. Devil May Cry
32. Sonic
33. Ys
34. Kingdom Hearts
35. Command & Conquer
36. Metal Slug
37. Legacy of Kain
38. Monster Hunter
39. F-Zero
40. Tekken
41. DoDonPachi
42. SOCOM
43. Wipeout
44. Tomb Raider
45. Ultima
46. Chrono
47. The Elder Scrolls
48. Wario
49. Tales of
50. Beyond Good & Evil
51. Prince of Persia

I was inclined to agree that GAF's list would probably be bad, too, but this isn't.
Very acceptable list.
Guinness should have contacted GAF. We would have provided an infinitely better list. Sure you can't please everyone but at least our list wouldn't be embarrassing.

Mael

Leondexter said:
Neither of those would be on my personal list, but still, the GAF list is reasonable. The Guiness list is shit.

Come on nobody even knows Mother fucking exists if not for Smash Bros!
I mean if you're not Japanese there's a 90% chance the only time you ever heard of that was when you asked 'who that guy was?' in a match of Smash!
Gran Turismo is like the mother of all racing games not called Mario Kart.

Mother would definitely go in my top list but SaGa would be in the top 10, so....yeah

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Leondexter said:
1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Metal Gear
3. Super Mario
4. Final Fantasy
5. Half Life
6. Resident Evil
7. Metroid
8. Halo
9. Civilization
10. Shenmue
11. Super Smash Bros.
12. Street Fighter
13. Shin Megami Tensei
14. Diablo
15. Pokémon
16. Dragon Quest
17. Suikoden
18. Baldur´s Gate
19. Monkey Island
20. Warcraft
21. Mega Man
22. Grand Theft Auto
23. Fire Emblem
24. God of War
25. Mother
26. Castlevania
27. Gran Turismo
28. Ace Attorney
29. Silent Hill
30. Panzer Dragoon
31. Devil May Cry
32. Sonic
33. Ys
34. Kingdom Hearts
35. Command & Conquer
36. Metal Slug
37. Legacy of Kain
38. Monster Hunter
39. F-Zero
40. Tekken
41. DoDonPachi
42. SOCOM
43. Wipeout
44. Tomb Raider
45. Ultima
46. Chrono
47. The Elder Scrolls
48. Wario
49. Tales of
50. Beyond Good & Evil
51. Prince of Persia

Shenmue is 10...let alone on the list.

here is my personal franchise top 39 list:

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Super Mario
3. The Elder Scrolls
4. Metal Gear
5. Diablo
6. Team Fortress
7. Half Life
8. StarCraft
9. Warcraft
10. Civilization
11. Left 4 Dead
12. Castlevania
13. Gran Turismo
14. God of War
15. Battlefield
16. Dragon Quest
17. Uncharted
18. Final Fantasy
19. Street Fighter
20. Grand Theft Auto
21. Wipeout
22. Metal Slug
23. Katamari
24. Disgaea
25. Quake
26. Wolfenstein
27. Doom
28. Monkey Island
29. Tekken
30. F-Zero
31. Ultima
32. KillZone
33. Resident Evil
34. Pokémon
35. Mega Man
36. Sonic
37. Legacy of Kain
38. Guitar Hero
39. Command & Conquer

cvxfreak

I can't believe RE came above series like KH and FF. Square fans can be quite rabid, up there with Nintendo franchise fans.

L4D and Counter Strike... but no Team Fortress?

No Metroid at all...

Seems this list was made using only games that have either had huge nostalgia (Goldeneye), or have come out recently (Halo, CoD).

Oli

cvxfreak said:
I can't believe RE came above series like KH and FF. Square fans can be quite rabid, up there with Nintendo franchise fans.

But neither are anywhere near Halo fans!

It seems.

Top Bottom