• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guinness Announces its Top 50 Videogame Franchises

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Chrono Trigger is not a franchise :S

but that's the least of the things wrong with that list ..

who are these "people" i wonder.

coopolon

I was going to ignore this thread like I try to ignore all lists, but got bored and figured I'd take a look. I assumed, since it was the World Record guys, it would be sales. Obviously not.

And then I saw Lego: Batman, and it was totally worth it.

Edit: The GAF list is actually pretty good. My only problem is no iD (which I'm not particularly fond of, but definitely deserves to be on there) whether it is DOOM or Quake I'm not sure.

ShinNL

People seriously saying Uncharted 2 are worse than people saying Halo.

Hint:
Uncharted 2 is not a franchise, Uncharted is. Even then, a single console 1 gen mediocre selling game does not belong in a top 50 of all time.

Fantasy Final said:
You know what? Maybe that list was really voted by "the people". The people are stupid with video games. Who here never heard a kid saying that Halo and CoD are the best game ever made even when they never played a game before. Just go to a local GameStop and listen to all the nonsense spoken in there. I believe they asked people, made a top 50 with the answers and done. Maybe this is a "Here's what the people answered when we asked what was their favorite franchise" list. With that in mind, yeah, that list makes sense.

If the list was made "by the people", the numbers would be directly related to sales I think? It looks more like it was made by internet people.

MIMIC

Banned
No Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter?

And I'm as big of a Halo fanatic as the next person, but Halo #1? Wayyyyyy to high. But this WAS (apparently) an opinion poll...sooo...da people have spoken!

MIMIC said:
No Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter?

And I'm as big of a Halo fanatic as the next person, but Halo #1? Wayyyyyy to high. But this WAS (apparently) an opinion poll...sooo...da people have spoken!

An opinion poll with a bad, non-representative sample, obviously, so not really. That's the stupidest thing about it: it looks exactly like any shitty internet gaming site's poll results. This:

"We decided to take a different approach with this list than we did in the previous edition," said Guinness World Records Gaming Editor Gaz Deaves. "Instead of asking developers, industry insiders and journalists to rank their favorite titles, we approached a different kind of expert: the players themselves. We are confident that this Top 50 more accurately reflects the tastes of the average gamer and not just the critics."

is completely stupid: if you do a poll, do it with a representative sample, because otherwise, experts' opinion is worth a lot more than an internet poll.

Vorador

Banned
9c446273.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
okay, seriously, what was their sampling community? An all-male college dorm? I mean, Halo in the top five yeah, if only because of its influence over the past decade? Maybe, arguably maybe over Zelda, Metal Gear, or Metroid, because this is an opinion poll. But over Mario? MARIO!?

D.Lo

Shouldn't this just be based on sales? So, something like: 1. Mario 2. Pokemon 3. Wii_, 4. Gran Turrismo etc?

Top Bottom