• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme Vs set for PS3

Beth Cyra

Takao said:
If AGE does well, I think we should at the very least see the Level-5 video games.

As for Origins, I don't think it's necessarily the mythos that are keeping Americans away. MSG, Zeta, and Char's Counterattack are all from older eras of animation, which I think is a big problem for younger viewers. Origins being a production made in 2011 will automatically look new, and I think that could sell the series to newer audiences.
Hmm you may be right about Gundam and Zeta but CCA looks as good if not better then anything we see in Wing and the most of EW.

In fact the only real stand out piece of animation we had from either of those is the final battle between Zero and Epyon and Zero's Wings unfolding.

Hell I would say that even G gundam had better animation for the most part over Wing, but that is neither here no there.

As it stand I would hope you are right. Granted I'm not a level 5 fan, and I think Age looks awful but still it would be nice to see a bump in Gundam games being brought over.

NEO0MJ

Is this by the same team who developed Gotcha Force? I remember that they worked on other gundam games in the past.

Get hyped!!

BlazingDarkness said:
That seems...extremely expensive

Same price as 2nd Super Robot Wars OG, Xillia, Ace Combat Assault Horizon, etc. Standard for Japan.

Speaking of 2nd Super Robot Wars OG, I wonder if it's going to end up delayed into next year. Still no release date. If there's no date at TGS, it's definitely next year.

Xater

Urban Scholar said:
Xater get in here! nghgnghgn

I'm here! I am spreading my cheeks right now for Namco.

Super expensive but worth it for me. GvG Next Plus was my most played PSP game so this will be no different.

Xater

BTW how is Unicorn in this game? Unicorm became quickly one of my favorite Mobile Suits and I would love to main it. ;)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Playable at TGS:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/24/gundam_extreme_vs_ps3_detailed/

We have our first confirmation of a Namco Bandai Tokyo Game Show title today courtesy of Weekly Famitsu. The magazine reveals that the just announced PS3 version of Gundam Extreme VS. will go playable at the September event.

Namco Bandai will also have the arcade version at the show. This will be used for a tournament.

Famitsu has an interview with arcade version director Tetsuya Akatsuka and producer Yoshitaka Goto. In addition to the Tokyo Game Show info, they reveal that the PS3 version will include all the content that's added to the arcade version right through the home version's release. The home version is based off the latest build of the arcade version, which is due to hit arcades this Fall.

Regarding the game's network mode, Akatsuka said that they're aiming for lag free play. The game already feels extremely good even ahead of release. Players can create their very own rooms and gather with their friends to play. These rooms can be set up with local rules. Akatsuka said they have some ideas to keep this area of the game from being too much work for players. He promised details in a later update.

Goto promised lots of content for the home version, although he wouldn't divulge details. In addition to the background music edit mode mentioned in our earlier story, one other mode mentioned in the interview is a practice mode which lets you learn the controls. One of the ideas is that you'll be able to practice at home and take your new skills to the arcade.

The PS3 version will have a number of other new features that aren't revealed in Famitsu's article. Akatsuka promised the announcement of some surprising information soon.

Develoment on Gundam Extreme Vs is currently at 70%. The game is due for December 1 release, priced ¥8,380.

Beth Cyra

distantmantra said:
Get hyped!!

Same price as 2nd Super Robot Wars OG, Xillia, Ace Combat Assault Horizon, etc. Standard for Japan.

Speaking of 2nd Super Robot Wars OG, I wonder if it's going to end up delayed into next year. Still no release date. If there's no date at TGS, it's definitely next year.
I can't say I would mine a dealy for 2nd as I wasn't going to get it but I'm starting to wonder about Z2 Part 2.

The way they made it sound before Z2 Part 1 came out was we wouldn't be waiitng that long before we got or at least started hearing about Z2 Part 2. With no news on 2nd I wonder if we will be hearing anything about Z2.

onken

Bold move considering it's currently the top arcade vs. game. I would have thought they'd have waited until it started dwindling.

Xater

onken said:
Bold move considering it's currently the top arcade vs. game. I would have thought they'd have waited until it started dwindling.

If I remember correctly the release of the previous game didn't affect arcade very much.

Gaspode_T

This game has had lines of people waiting to play it at our local arcade...it's pretty darn popular with the teeny bopper crowd

Gaspode_T said:
This game has had lines of people waiting to play it at our local arcade...it's pretty darn popular with the teeny bopper crowd
Dah. It has the Custom Wing Zero, easily the best design of a Gundam. Of course the game is popular.

Beth Cyra

iKeepPlaying said:
Dah. It has the Custom Wing Zero, easily the best design of a Gundam. Of course the game is popular.
Funny enough a while back I was looking on Gamefaqs and someone posted the top 20 most used Units at his local area and Zero was 20, being both the last of the 3000 Units and behind 2 other EW units, losing to both Scythe and Tallgeese III, though to be fair I read some thoughts on Tall III and from the sounds of it he seems crazy strong given his rank.

lupinko

NEO0MJ said:
Is this by the same team who developed Gotcha Force? I remember that they worked on other gundam games in the past.
Probably not, this is made by Capcoms Gundam team who have made every game since federation vs zeon on naomi.

linsivvi

lupinko said:
Fun fact: This is one of the few inhouse Capcom games left, and is pretty much the only inhouse arcade Capcom game since SF4 is outsourced to Dimps. Although this game is not published by Capcom, but by Namco Bandai Banpresto. So Capcom completes its outsourcing circle.

This is nothing new. As the license holder, it's Namco Bandai who outsourced the game (and the series) to Capcom for the arcade. Namco have always published the console versions themselves and it holds true for all the PS2 and PSP games of the series.

Nix

Banned
TruePrime said:
Funny enough a while back I was looking on Gamefaqs and someone posted the top 20 most used Units at his local area and Zero was 20, being both the last of the 3000 Units and behind 2 other EW units, losing to both Scythe and Tallgeese III, though to be fair I read some thoughts on Tall III and from the sounds of it he seems crazy strong given his rank.

Blasphemy! Gundam Fans have just gone insane after Char's revival. It's as if they can't think straight. Those fans just deserve Zaku's...no, not even that, they deserve generic ground units.

LostConfused said:
I challenge you to a gundam fight!

My gundam can annihilate you from freaking space. Plus, he can evolve indefinitely if given enough parts and spare time~Doesn't seem like a fair fight. Plus, Death Scythe =/

Ezalc

No Gundam Spiegel no deal. Fuck you whoever made this game, I want my fuckawesome German Ninja gundamnit.

Coxy

Aw yeah day 1 cant wait, knew they were just waiting for 1 year of arcade exclusivity.-

Gundam fight, ready! Go!

Shouta

Xater said:
BTW how is Unicorn in this game? Unicorm became quickly one of my favorite Mobile Suits and I would love to main it. ;)

It's a very good unit. Great damage and great support but has some quirks that you have to get used to, particularly the slow shooting (relative to other Beam Rifles) Beam Magnum. On the flipside the Beam Magnum is a cartridge reload and has the highest damage of any normal beam rifle in the game.

Wing Zero isn't very high on the list like before because The type of beam attacks it uses isn't as crazy as before. Melee cancel also makes it more difficult for WZC to compete overall.

Anyway, I can't wait for more details. Lag free online play means I'd rarely ever have to go to the arcade again to play.

Shouta

Wazzim said:
Is it easy to jump in the game coming from GvsG Next plus?

Yeah. It's largely similar though the overall level of boost has been reduced and Melee step has been added into the game again.

Drame

Oh hell yes!

That is one spicy price for a game, indeed, but we're talking about freaking GvG here!

Day one!

Think I'll pop GvGN+ again in my PSP tonight to celebrate this great news.

Now to reorganize christmas spending shedule, haha!

Xater said:
I'm here! I am spreading my cheeks right now for Namco.
Super expensive but worth it for me. GvG Next Plus was my most played PSP game so this will be no different.

.....I've been over due for a pricey import so I'm going to commit to this.

I'm hoping for a localization at least in the US, if only for pricing issues. Or I'll wait for a budget version. That price is a bit steep for me.
I hope SRT OG 2 won't be priced in the same way.

Tangentially, thanks to people in this thread mentionning AGE and an animated The Origin project, I didn't know about these !

Nix said:
My gundam can annihilate you from freaking space. Plus, he can evolve indefinitely if given enough parts and spare time~Doesn't seem like a fair fight. Plus, Death Scythe =/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fUJ6LehQ3I#t=0m50s

Also this would be the most overpowered gundam that exists.

Edit: As for fanboy nonsense actually related to the game. Exia is still in this right? Is it still good/ok? Probably my favorite gundam design atm, and I was rather disappointed it didn't make it into the third DWG.

Acosta

There seems to be a fair excitement for this and it looks cool in the videos. Can anyone sell it to me? I didn't know anything about this game until now.

TreIII

Acosta said:
There seems to be a fair excitement for this and it looks cool in the videos. Can anyone sell it to me? I didn't know anything about this game until now.

If you've been itching for a frenetic mecha fighting game that does a little to take after Virtual ON? Well then, look no further!

Gundam Extreme Vs. is the latest game in the "Gundam Vs." series, which has actually been going on for over 10 years, now. While Gundam fans of all shapes and sizes are sure to delight in the various levels of fanservice that are abound in this title, the flashiness and the relative-ease of controls (four buttons), there's actually quite a bit of depth to be had that keeps the hardcore coming back for more. Not unlike Virtual ON, there are a number of advanced techniques to learn and hone if you really want to excel at the game.

But perhaps the real kicker lies in this game's reliance on teamwork. As you probably have seen in videos thus far, the game is based on 2v2 teams. And you need to get used to the idea of actually working with your partner, if you want to succeed!

Each side has a "resource meter" that's worth 6000 points. From there, you and your partner are free to select a team from the various units available, each of which carries a cost that pertains to its "tier". Zakus, being basic grunts, only cost 1000. Meanwhile, a highly powerful suit like Wing Zero Custom costs 3000.

Where these "costs" really come into play is how they'll stand to affect your resource meter in a match. For example, if you and a friend BOTH decide to rock units that sport a cost 3000, you both have better know what you're doing! After all, if one of you dies, their re-spawn will already cost your side half of your resource meter, leaving the other with that much more pressure to stay alive or face the possibility of your team losing very quickly. On the flipside, two 1000 cost units, while weak individually, could stand to outlast an opposing side made up of stronger units. This is because they tend to get a bit more mileage out of their re-spawns, in the right hands.

Between the various individual and collaborative strategies that exist in this game, along with the fast pace of the game itself, Gundam Vs. is addictive. And in arcades, it runs neck to neck with Tekken on various popularity polls.

Hopefully, with decent online and maybe even some split-screen action, this game may actually have a shot of making a nice name for itself, at least amongst the import scene. Maybe that much might help inspire Bamco to give this series another chance in the West. The last time the West saw a Gundam Vs. was waaaaaay back in last gen with Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam (PS2). The game series has only gotten much better since that old gal and I'd like to think that this would be a welcome alternative to just more Gundam Musou.

But anyway, if you want more information, feel free to go to the GameFaqs Gundam Extreme Vs. boards. Shouta, myself and number of others reside there and look out for video links.

Xater

Palette Swap said:
I'm hoping for a localization at least in the US, if only for pricing issues. Or I'll wait for a budget version. That price is a bit steep for me.

Tangentially, thanks to people in this thread mentionning AGE and an animated The Origin project, I didn't know about these !

You really shouldn't. Gundam games are dead outside of Japan if they are not made by KOEI.

LegatoB

I'm really excited by the prospect of finally being able to play this series on an arcade stick again after years of PSP ports. Maybe I'll even be able to find people to play it with!

LegatoB said:
I'm really excited by the prospect of finally being able to play this series on an arcade stick again after years of PSP ports. Maybe I'll even be able to find people to play it with!
You can play me

Tain

Whoa. So baller.

This is a series I've been interested in, but I haven't really played against anyone. I've tried the very first Dreamcast release, the PSP game, and the last PS2 release. This should be awesome.

There's something really intriguing to me about arcade 3D action games that use traditional digital controls. I know Capcom's been doing it since Spawn, but there's also stuff like Spikeout.

TreIII

Xater said:
You really shouldn't. Gundam games are dead outside of Japan if they are not made by KOEI.

That's all the more reason why, again, I'm hoping that a nice-sized import scene crops up. It would help spread the word.

For example, IPlayWinner was already slated to try their hand at streaming Gundam Vs. Now that the newest game in the series is PS3 bound, that should make things at least a little easier in this regard.

The more that stream monsters are made aware of this awesome game (but won't want to pay high import prices, just to play a game in a language they don't understand) the better our chances may be of Bamco giving this series another shot in the West.

Gundam games may have a bad stigma in the West and, honestly, Gundam Musou really doesn't help matters in that regard. But if there was ever a Gundam game truly worthy of hyping up, it's definitely this game.

TreIII

_dementia said:
Will there be a cheaper Asian release?

Probably, as every other game in the series has had one.

How MUCH cheaper is something that will remain to be seen, however. :lol

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Teknopathetic said:
8,380 yen? Get fucked.
Seriously :/

Will get
if customs don't screw me over even further

xero273

Palette Swap said:

OG2 is kind of already priced like that. $90 and up is what OG2 is at.

Boogdud

Nix said:
Wing is the best alternate universe

Not saying much there. Though I'd argue for G just because of how ridiculous it was and I'm a fan of old school robot bashers.

How about adding some Sentinel suits for the PS3 release? Ex-S and Xeku Eins would be nice additions that haven't been seen in a game so far. I mean if they're putting the zudah in there, certainly they could put some sentinel in there.

But in my old age I don't know if I have the patience to sit through another import where I can't understand the story (what little there is in vs). I've done it (and regretted it) so many times before.

I don't see much hope in an import of this since, as others have said before, Gundam seems effectively dead in the US now.

But 8900 yen, dang, you can buy a perfect grade Rx-78 for less than that...

Top Bottom