• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Versus coming west to PS4 this fall (New Trailer)

eizarus

Banned
31053941204_69219e89b7_o.gif

31074534384_f210015ca7_o.gif

31541925060_1a7cdd238a_o.gif

Not even close, breh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr-W5LDUg18

Looking at that old footage above though, it's interesting they went from 2 strikers to just 1.

Damn! That looks excellent! I haven't had a chance to watch the trailer yet but omg YES! So hyped!

since it's made it into the game, that means there's a decent chance we get DLC. I really, really, really, really want 2nd Season IBO DLC (since it's basically my favorite Gundam show of all time now).

in the past, versus games tended to have a disappointingly long lag time between when a show came out and when suits would finally make it into the game. having IBO stuff in Versus already makes me really happy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barbatos Lupus Rex is still coming. EXVS Force has the 1st and 4th forms, after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barbatos Lupus Rex is still coming. EXVS Force has the 1st and 4th forms, after all.

We'll get all of the major ones at some point or another. Really want Rex with its tail whip and the bigger fuck off mace. And Guison Rebake Full City EX + Alpha.

And yeah, saw this at gamefaqs. There's a flyer for the game advertising the following:

-) Routine events
-) New Modes
-) New Playable Units
-) Units Balancing

The routine events should be interesting. Perhaps special 6 player raids with event-exclusive items?

butman

Are these Gundam/Super Robot Wars games good at what they offer? Or are they pure fanservice with deplorable gameplay like most anime-based games?

Beckx

We'll get all of the major ones at some point or another. Really want Rex with its tail whip and the bigger fuck off mace. And Guison Rebake Full City EX + Alpha.

Kimaris Vidar and Bael are a must. Want those to be playable so badly.

It would be funny if they added Iok "Florida Man" Kujan though

Are these Gundam/Super Robot Wars games good at what they offer? Or are they pure fanservice with deplorable gameplay like most anime-based games?

http://daviddino.com/gundamextremevs/brightslap.gif

EDIT: ^ lololol

Haven't used this in awhile.

XzrcJTp.gif

But seriously, this series since the late 2000s has been pretty solid and the last series (Extreme VS) has been #1 in Japan for small cabinet arcade machines for the past 6 something years. Think Virtual ON if that helps. It's a legit arena fighter.

Kimaris Vidar and Bael are a must. Want those to be playable so badly.

It would be funny if they added Iok "Florida Man" Kujan though

He needs to be one of the raid events.

Beckx

I'm still confused

like donkeyshow says - it's a serious and seriously good 3D arena fighting game. have you played Virtual On: OT (maybe the greatest 3D arena fighter ever made)? VS is cut from the same mold, though it's fair to say it has less execution complexity (still some) but more strategic depth because of the 2v2 nature.

SRW is a fantastic series of SRPGs since you asked. but liking the shows that are in the game helps.

He needs to be one of the raid events.

Fastest raid completion ever, lol

Jasley Dominikols raid now, that would be satisfying. And the fucking Angel. (I have to stop, I'm getting worked up.)

Tain

the Gundam Vs games are rad as hell regardless of how you feel about Gundam

SRW, idk, they always looked neat but I haven't played 'em yet

Jasley Dominikols raid now, that would be satisfying. And the fucking Angel. (I have to stop, I'm getting worked up.)

Hashmal is what I was thinking of as possible type of raid event opponent. Or perhaps there could be a challenge event where you have to fight it with Iok one on one :p.

Gundam EXVS is one of the best fighting games on the market TBH

Even non-Gundam fans should check it out because it's fun as hell and a very well made competitive game

Beckx

yeah, going to spring for Premium G. I wonder if custom soundtracks will be back?

At least amazon.jp has a good discount on the premium G version.

Quebaz

Wait, it includes the Anime BGMs like the standard editions of Extreme VS? Cause if so I'm skipping out on my import and gonna wait until Fall.

Apharmd

i am so unbelievably hyped for this

grabbing JPN premium sound edition 4 sure

also yeah, the closest western-known game to this is ARMS. Virtual On is older and more accurate to it but like only diehard nerds know Virtual On :')

Tain

Just saw this for the first time. It reminds me a lot of Virtual On. Is it?

The entire series is pretty much like if Virtual On were made for a typical arcade cabinet with standard controls instead of twin sticks.

and was all 2-on-2 like Virtual On Force

Beckx

Just saw this for the first time. It reminds me a lot of Virtual On. Is it?

VOOT has a significant amount of execution complexity, from the need to target by jumping (and then jump cancel so you don't die) to the way attacks switch based on crouching/boosting. VS games don't have that (though some suits do need execution), instead the complexity comes from boost management, proper spacing, proper use of attacks (so you don't get stuck in slow fall), etc etc etc

The entire series is pretty much like if Virtual On were made for a typical arcade cabinet with standard controls instead of twin sticks.

and was all 2-on-2 like Virtual On Force but good

fixed

Umbooki

I know I'm going to get the Western release of the game, but will Bandai Namco give it the love and support that it deserves? Paranoia has me considering importing the JP version, but then that'd probably require a second PS+ sub and a bunch of account-based shenanigans just to play with non-JP players.

As of right now, it seems like a JP + NA double dip would be the best setup for long-term enjoyment. Any thoughts?

I know I'm going to get the Western release of the game, but will Bandai Namco give it the love and support that it deserves? Paranoia has me considering importing the JP version, but then that'd probably require a second PS+ sub and a bunch of account-based shenanigans just to play with non-JP players.

As of right now, it seems like a JP + NA double dip would be the best setup for long-term enjoyment. Any thoughts?

The last major localized Gundam games with DLC were the Musou games IIRC, and they had all their DLC brought over (though later than in Japan). I can't imagine that the western versions of Gundam Versus would just NOT get the DLC.

But I mean, if you wanna spend the money on two versions, you do you. Nothing wrong with that.

As long as you have PS+ on your primary account, you don't have to worry about other region accounts on that PS4 not having it.

dwix

The last major localized Gundam games with DLC were the Musou games IIRC, and they had all their DLC brought over (though later than in Japan). I can't imagine that the western versions of Gundam Versus would just NOT get the DLC.

Agreed. It would be very very strange for the western release to not get the DLC.

Bombless

They've stated that they wanted this game to be enjoyed worldwide so you can be sure all dlc will be brought over. Maybe not the full music stuff but the rest for sure.

It's not a feature exclusive to Gundam. That's just how PSN+ works lol.

The one thing I'm worried about is multiplayer being split up by region or something. While playing on my US account in the beta I couldn't find any real rooms or games. I had to switch to my JP one to find even the rooms other US players were making.(it was in the discord so I'm assuming a lot of them were using the JP accounts they used for Full Boost)

Quebaz

The one thing I'm worried about is multiplayer being split up by region or something. While playing on my US account in the beta I couldn't find any real rooms or games. I had to switch to my JP one to find even the rooms other US players were making.(it was in the discord so I'm assuming a lot of them were using the JP accounts they used for Full Boost)

Well that's one way to kill online, guess they didn't learn much from Rise of Incarnates huh.

NEO0MJ

What I'm most worried about is them forcing us to use online passes per account like they did with Full Boost. For those that didn't play it, you can only play online if the account has access to the online pass, which could not be shared between users. Every account had to buy it separately.

Gundam Battle Operation Next works the same way on the PS4. Gundam Breaker 3's online isn't locked to specific regions, though.

Kyoufu

What I'm most worried about is them forcing us to use online passes per account like they did with Full Boost. For those that didn't play it, you can only play online if the account has access to the online pass, which could not be shared between users. Every account had to buy it separately.

There's no such thing as an online pass on PS4.

Alexious

So, it looks like we'll have the chance to send a few questions to the development team.

Is there anything you'd like to know in particular about the game?

So, it looks like we'll have the chance to send a few questions to the development team.

Have they learned anything from their endeavors with Rise of Incarnates?
LAN mode?
DLC units and other possible future updates (or how far are they planning)?
EVO?
Non-region locked lobbies?
Where's my Luna-beam? :O
Switch version? >:3

Also, a new short TV spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdZWdcjZiMA

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Have they learned anything from their endeavors with Rise of Incarnates?
LAN mode?
DLC units and other possible future updates (or how far are they planning)?
EVO?
Non-region locked lobbies?
Where's my Luna-beam? :O
Switch version? >:3

Also, a new short TV spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdZWdcjZiMA

1. never explore that kusoge again
2. no
3. none
4. no pls never no memery needed
5. legion locked only
6. shrugemoji
7. never ever

I'd like to know whether or not gameplay recording/screenshot functions will be blocked (unless this is already known).

Apharmd

I organize local tournaments for the game. Each character in this game has multiple unlockable assists that's earned through playing. Is there a way to unlock them all as quickly as possible or instantly so as to be able to provide an equal experience for all four players in 2 v 2 tournaments?

Will we have a robust tutorial that can get new players up and running as soon as possible? This style of gameplay is very new for a lot of American gamers but as soon as they see the fights they do tend to be hooked. However, Full Boost's tutorial missions were a bit wanting due to lack of demonstrations and such.

Is it possible to change button configurations in lobbies now? That's a real pain in the ass during tournaments, having to back in and out to switch between arcade stick and controller pad control layouts.

Will this game support legacy Playstation 3 controllers or will players be required to use Playstation 4 arcade sticks?

edit: One more. Donkey asked this but I wanted to elaborate. Will it be possible for us to play with four PlayStation 4s connected to each other by a switch or a router, without a PSN connection? Lack of internet access makes venue choices very limited.

Uhh I think that's all I have for now. Thanks Alexious.

Top Bottom