• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandemic

Wonder why he plucked his eyelashes, if true.. Unless his eye lashes are blonde and are difficult to stand out..?

Edit: never mind, looks like he plucked them.

I heard about this a couple hours after it happened. I couldn't believe it, I thought it was some kind of joke. You don't expect a shooting to happen at a movie premier of all places. It's such a tragic event.

strafer

"Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."

How about we blame the guy who actually DID the shooting instead of blaming a movie, game, music or tree.

Fucking stupid.

Holmes family released a statement in regards to the speculation that the mother knew about her son and the shooting when she supposedly said "Yes, you have the right person"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9IX0ApBOhc

Reading this article you cannot help but see this for exactly what it is. A mother who said something she now realizes made her look like an idiot, and so now her lawyer has told her deny she said it.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/alleged-colorado-gunman-james-holmes-family-stand-son/story?id=16840162

1) An ABC news producer called the mother early in the morning after the shooting.

2) During this phone call, according to this producer, as well as the notes he took while on the call, after telling her there was a shooting in a movie theater in Colorado, and it's believed her son was the shooter, she responded "you've got the right guy".

3) She took 3 days to comment on this story being inaccurate, even though it was widely report.

4) She has a lawyer helping her right now, and that lawyer CALLED ABC TO ASK IF THEY HAD A RECORDING OF THE PHONE CALL. ABC told her no.

5) She then releases this "correction" knowing that ABC cannot prove she said it.

Funny how that works. The mom, like most family members in these situations, knew shit, and now she's realizing the blowback that comes with that, and she doesn't want it to be known what she knew before the shooting.

Really? And how exactly would his mother know that "they had the right guy"? It was in the early morning hours and she is being questioned about a shooting she didn't even know existed. But you think ABC got it right and she knew her son was the shooter in a shooting she had just found out about?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think the news read more into the comment the whole time. Pretty sure she was just saying yeah im his mom.

ToxicAdam

This has probably been rehashed in this thread somewhere, but the more I reflect on this tragedy, the more I think these type of things are just a type of elaborate suicide attempt.

People unable to actually kill themselves, but are so disassociated yet narcissistic that they want to kill themselves (or be killed) in a spectacular way to bring some kind of validation of their existence.

You wonder if legalized suicide wouldn't help prevent some of these situations.

Really? And how exactly would his mother know that "they had the right guy"? It was in the early morning hours and she is being questioned about a shooting she didn't even know existed. But you think ABC got it right and she knew her son was the shooter in a shooting she had just found out about?

I think the news read more into the comment the whole time. Pretty sure she was just saying yeah im his mom.

1) This was an ABC News producer who called her. Not some intern, and not some dude running a blog. Yes, an ABC News producer could make a mistake, but he also had notes from the phone call, and I doubt he'd get something so specific completely wrong.

2) He states very specifically in that article I linked, that he checked his notes and remembers exactly how the call went down. He lays it out who he was, and why he was calling, and she said that was her son. Then he brings up the shooting, and she says "you've got the right guy".

3) The mother has a huge motive to not want this quote out there, and I'm sure she's realized this in the days after the shooting. Her lawyer even called ABC to ask about a recording, knowing that if they deny she said this publicly they could make a complete fool out of her in front of the entire country and air it.

4) After the lawyer confirms there is no recording, then and only then do they deny she ever said it. lol

5) Within hours of this shooting I commented in the thread about this story that it would be a matter of hours before we begin hearing from family and friends about how they saw this coming, but didn't say shit. It always happens, and this case will be no different. His mom knew something which made her say "you've got the right guy" on that phone call, and now she's trying to put that genie back in the bottle.

This has probably been rehashed in this thread somewhere, but the more I reflect on this tragedy, the more I think these type of things are just a type of elaborate suicide attempt.

People unable to actually kill themselves, but are so disassociated yet narcissistic that they want to kill themselves (or be killed) in a spectacular way to bring some kind of validation of their existence.

I think you're completely overlooking the levels of crazy a mentally insane person is capable of. You're applying rational logic to someone who has none. Schizophrenics don't usually have the ability to realize how crazy their ideas are. They just act out the crazy reality they're living in, without much of a rationality to be found in their decision making.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I don't know about this situation for sure... but in general, yeah. A lot of mass murder is "suicide, plus making the world notice and receive punishment for the pain"

ToxicAdam

I think you're completely overlooking the levels of crazy a mentally insane person is capable of. You're applying rational logic to someone who has none. Schizophrenics don't usually have the ability to realize how crazy their ideas are. They just act out the crazy reality they're living in, without much of a rationality to be found in their decision making.

It's tricky with mental illness and you are right, there are degrees of schizophrenia that can make people think they are in a different reality.

But profound depression can also cause a disassociative break. Where you not only devalue your own life, but the lives of others.

Raistlin

Yes plenty of people go for the 'suicide by cop' thing ... but that doesn't seem to be the case here. He turned himself in once the cops showed up. He would have fired on them if that was his goal.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
He could have easily suicided by his own hand or by the authorities but he apparently gave no resistance when they cornered him. Still have no idea why.

Kevtones

Yes plenty of people go for the 'suicide by cop' thing ... but that doesn't seem to be the case here. He turned himself in once the cops showed up. He would have fired on them if that was his goal.

He was unarmed at that point I thought?

However, recall his adult friend finder quote: will you visit me in prison?

That, among other things leads me to believe that he wasn't wanting to die.

I fully understand the rage/frustration.

But these are all the wrong targets.

The only one to blame is James Holmes.

But "get money" I guess.

With those allegations, He will be lucky if his lawyer's don't break his bank account because I doubt he will see anything outside of maybe part of the donations that WB is shelling out.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So have any government conspiracy theories risen up yet?

http://www.infowars.com/shooter-james-holmes-and-darpa-weird-science/

http://planet.infowars.com/politics/james-holmes-san-diego-and-mind-control

http://planet.infowars.com/worldnews/usnews/disinformation-on-james-holmes

Here's the funny part. I didn't know there were conspiracy theories before I checked that site. But I knew there was one. Why? Because those nuts make a conspiracy out of every event ever!!

Mully

http://www.infowars.com/shooter-james-holmes-and-darpa-weird-science/

http://planet.infowars.com/worldnews/usnews/disinformation-on-james-holmes

Here's the funny part. I didn't know there were conspiracy theories before I checked that site. But I knew there was one. Why? Because those nuts make a conspiracy out of every event ever!!

I just go to those sites just to read the comments.
justintime says:
July 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm
Man I don’t know. Just look at this guys photo. I can’t get “manchurian candidate” out of my head. At this point I would bet money on it.
SLIDINGINTOIT says:
July 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm
I SEE A MANIPULATED PATSY, TRIGGER-MAN OR NOT.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Denver Post said:
Christian Bale, star of the Batman films, is in town visiting victims of the Aurora movie theater shooting, Warner Brothers officials confirmed.

"Mr. Bale is there as himself, not representing Warner Brothers," said an assistant for Susan Fleishman, executive vice president for Warner Brothers corporate communications.
That's pretty damn cool of him. The idea of dressing up as Batman and all that was silly, but I think Bale visiting them just being himself is fairly awesome.

I didn't expect it of him. Good job dude.

DyTonic

Banned
I fucking hate the media, everyone has their opinion on this nut, trying to figure him out. Throw him jail and let the prisoners deal with him or fry his ass.

Bale visiting the victims is so fucking awesome. However, if I was still in recovery and woke up all groggy to see him in the room I'd probably end flipping my shit and injuring myself more.

Mully

Good for Bale for doing this, but I still feel like it's not the right time to see victims unless you're the president.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I fucking hate the media, everyone has their opinion on this nut, trying to figure him out. Throw him jail and let the prisoners deal with him or fry his ass.

They can't he would be under protective custody for his own safety because he killed a child

Next up: "Bale Visits Holmes And Beats The Shit Out Of Him". Film at 11.

Psychology-of-The-Dark-Knight-7.jpg

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It begins, police was called at a NJ theater because someone got up during a movie, and left through the fire exit. Trying to find a link. Apparently, it happened last night.

It begins, police was called at a NJ theater because someone got up during a movie, and left through the fire exit. Trying to find a link. Apparently, it happened last night.

Yeah, in Edgewater. I saw it on the news this morning. They evacuated the theater and no one claimed they did it.

Dram

Aurora shooting may ruin one victim's finances

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/colo-shooting-victim-remains-icu-wife-gives-birth-173442732.html
A woman whose husband was critically wounded in the Colorado movie theater shooting has given birth to the couple's first child.

Katie Medley gave birth to a boy named Hugo Jackson Medley on Tuesday at University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora, the same hospital where her husband, Caleb Medley, lies in critical but stable condition.

Caleb, 23, is suffering from a bullet wound to an eye, according to a CBS News report. The hospital says Katie Medley, 21, and baby are doing great. Katie Medley was unhurt in the shooting.

But as Caleb slowly recovers, medical bills are mounting. According to Michael West, a friend of the couple's, Caleb, who is an aspiring comedian, does not have health insurance. And medical bills could near $2 million, according to the CBS report.

So West has started a website to collect donations. So far it has raised almost $86,000.

Meanwhile, a horde of mostly anonymous donors has contributed nearly $2 million to a network of nonprofits that are helping those injured in the Aurora movie theater shooting on Friday. Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures are among the donors, but most who gave have asked to remain anonymous, according to Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper's office.

See? Bale went to go visit everyone and no one fucking flipped out like some of the more ridiculous people in this thread were suggesting. Probably made them feel awesome that he came to visit.

See? Bale went to go visit everyone and no one fucking flipped out like some of the more ridiculous people in this thread were suggesting. Probably made them feel awesome that he came to visit.

What people were flipping out about was saying that he should dress up like Batman and visit. That would have been stupid as all fucking hell.

A co-worker's friend was the manager at that theater. He was up in the projection booth during at least part of the incident. Terrible, terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom