• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxword

Someone posted his name and age already is that source true?!

I haven't seen any sources confirming that name, and if you google the name it comes up with several random people (several criminals, at that) from around the country.

I would not put any weight on the Gutierrez name.

Reiko

Banned
This is what I'm going to be fucking paranoid about now. I fear that some fucker teetering on the edge is going to see this and think it's a good idea. I pray that nothing like that happens, but that was my first thought in all this.

This event has only set precedent for tighter security at the movies.

LordAlu

I have to go so I can't update from UK news for an hour or so - hoping no more deaths occur from those fighting for life in hospital.

goomba

Banned
Why is the police radio so easily accessible online?

Isnt that a security risk in of itself?

Why don't they encrypt that shit?

jaxword

I have to go so I can't update from UK news for an hour or so - hoping no more deaths occur from those fighting for life in hospital.

Thanks for your updates, man. To keep them from being lost in the crowd, I added them as necessary so people saw them in the first post.

Trevelyon

Fox is saying he 'may of' been in some sort of military garb. Not having seen Rises yet or know too much about it, I wonder is it possible he trying to emulate Bane or at least his aesthetic?

Can't help but feel this was some sort of crazy delusion based on this movie.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Being a 24 year old nerd that lives 5 miles away, I know plenty of people that might have been there. I think they all are just a little too far away to really be worried about it. There's a lot of movie theaters in metropolitan areas, and I'm completely certain they went to different theaters.

But you can't stop that bugging feeling of wanting to be positive.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Likely scenarios as far as I can see are either he's utterly insane or he's got some freaky agenda and wants to push it through the publicity and coverage he'll get from this.

Fox is saying he 'may of' been in some sort of military garb. Not having seen Rises yet or know too much about it, I wonder is it possible he trying to emulate Bane or at least his aesthetic?

Can't help but feel this was some sort of crazy delusion based on this movie.

Witnesses say he was wearing body armour, helmet and goggles

I'll tell you one thing. The fun is over with midnight showings.

Movie security will be REALLY tight from now on.

Don't even think about sneaking extra food in.

I thought he didn't have a ticket and got in through other means? In the UK some cinema chains already check bags to make sure you don't sneak food in.

Wallach

Figures it was that stupid shit stain that called in. Hopefully they can fuck him over for claiming to be the chief of police to the news organization that put him on.

TheContact

Figures it was that stupid shit stain that called in. Hopefully they can fuck him over for claiming to be the chief of police to the news organization that put him on.

I'm pretty sure there's a law where you can't impersonate officers. I really hope he does get caught, probably should report him to the police.

thefro

AP is suggesting he was arrested in his car? Sounds like he wanted to get caught. He also told police about explosives in his apartment

I would bet on the shooter being inspired by the movie series to some extent.

Obviously he probably has some serious mental issues and probably had some other event/series of events set him off. But the smoke bomb/tear gas and wanting to get caught both seem like stuff inspired by the Nolan Batman movies.

Man what is wrong with the world, what motivates people to do such thing.

RIP to the people. :(

Odds are, if the info comes out, it will likely be something menial and stupid that set the guy off - like the guy not getting tickets, or getting him kicked out the week before. The guy obviously had problems to start with, so any little thing could have set him off.

jaxword

I will wait awhile until I listen to that..

It's not funny, it's just the idiot saying he's the police chief and going "The 15th person died because they couldn't watch America's got talent and Howard Stern" before he gets cuts off.

Impersonating a police officer is a crime, so he'll probably get charged or a fine.

smh at IMDB, worried about the box office.

some people man

Some people tend to forget that life does not quit when something terrible happens. It is going to be in the papers tomorrow and after that everyone will have forgotten this scenario again. As terrible as that is, that is how harsh the world has become.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Anders attacked an island full of left leaning political youth. It wasnt a random attack like this.

Especially if you're willing to not be particularly rational, I'm sure you can concoct a reason to make certain assumptions about people going to see a Batman premiere.

anddo0

He obviously planned this, and his movie of choice is no coincidence. He's a crazed, and sick individual no doubt.

I'm usually not the type to blame the media and I'm not trying to do it now, but the 2011' God Bless America also had a movie theater shooting scene in it and then the characters went on to rampage at the American Idol.
Maybe the gunmen were also anarchistic and took lessons from that movie?

Nevasleep

that's an interesting point.

i think all our emergency services are encrypted here in uk land
They are now as everything is digital on the Tetra system, but they didn't use to be.
I believe it maybe a crime to listen to police radio in the UK, or have the equipment.

It's not funny, it's just the idiot saying he's the police chief and going "The 15th person died because they couldn't watch America's got talent and Howard Stern" before he gets cuts off.

Impersonating a police officer is a crime, so he'll probably get charged or a fine.

Captain Janks has been doing this crap for probably 15 years. Crazy how often he can get through the call screens.

They are now as everything is digital on the Tetra system, but they didn't use to be.
I believe it maybe a crime to listen to police radio in the UK, or have the equipment.

I remember when I was a kid a friend of my father had some gear that could pick up on police radios. Was interesting to listen to but I am also fairly sure illegal.

I'm usually not the type to blame the media and I'm not trying to do it now, but the 2011' God Bless America also had a movie theater shooting scene in it and then the characters went on to rampage at the American Idol.
Maybe the gunmen were also anarchistic and took lessons from that movie?

Anything could have given inspiration to where to do this, can't blame the media for some people being crazy enough to do it. But it's entirely possible they did take lessons from a stupid ass movie.

Ok thats kinda relieving..but I still have to wait Im already feeling sick.

Look at this! That is disgusting.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
This is going to sound like a downer, but Denver General's nickname is the Knife and Gun Club. They're more than prepared to deal with this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom