• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clamoring for capital punishment is a logical conclusion to reach, as massacres of this scale would typically warrant the death penalty in the applicable states. Rushing to the defense of the perpetrator of a mass murder because you find him simpatico is a dramatic leap that goes against the currents of human compassion and respect.

Even though I am not entirely against the death penalty, the bolded statement is not true.

Tess3ract

Banned
You should not be bringing your 6 month old to an action movie especially not at 12 am. This has nothing to do specifically with the risk of shooting

-It's a baby is should be sleeping
-Movies are extremely loud( especially action movies). I highly doubt the parents put earplugs in their kid's ears. Could lead to long term hearing loss
-6 months old have weak immune systems. They really shouldn't be in a public place with that many people. Who knows what people in the theater have illness wise.

It wasn't 6, it was 3 months.

While you're correct, when it comes down to it how was she supposed to know something like that was going to happen? She was not at fault for her child dying.

If the guy had never killed them, the child would still be fine today and life would go on.

Uchip

Banned
Clamoring for capital punishment is a logical conclusion to reach, as massacres of this scale would typically warrant the death penalty in the applicable states. Rushing to the defense of the perpetrator of a mass murder because you find him simpatico is a dramatic leap that goes against the currents of human compassion and respect.

I agree that he should be punished with severity, and dont understand why you assume that im "rushing to the defense"
posting anything other than "omg kill the fucker" seems to garner contempt
good job.

I know a lot of folks on GAF hate anime and it's fans, but this shit is really getting old. I won't say more as not to derail the thread further.

Its even more pointless because its not anime :|

what a load of shit
you think the people raving on about capital punishment in here are being any use to the victims? Preventing people from reaching that point should be more important rather than just burning them at the stake.
dont act like your words mean any more than mine here

This is clearly fucked up on both ends.

You are clueless. he took a childs life among others, this wasn't a rage killing, it was a cold calculated massacre. there is truly an apologist for everything.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Are you a parent?
No but I had this discussion with my GFs brother who is a practicing pediatrician. Sorry it is bad parenting. You are responsible for your kid. Don't bring them to a theater at 12 am especially a loud action movie.

For their health's sake.

what a load of shit
you think the people raving on about capital punishment in here are being any use to the victims? Preventing people from reaching that point should be more important rather than just burning them at the stake.

Prevention is more important, but this just fucking happened. A guy walked into a theater and murdered at least a dozen people, injuring dozens more. I can't see how instantly feeling bad for him is even possible. Maybe down the line when we actually know more about his circumstances, but this just fucking happened.

MThanded

While you're correct, when it comes down to it how was she supposed to know something like that was going to happen? She was not at fault for her child dying.

If the guy had never killed them, the child would still be fine today and life would go on.

You can't read. I said nothing about the risk of getting shot.

You should not be bringing your 6 month old to an action movie especially not at 12 am. This has nothing to do specifically with the risk of shooting

-Movies are extremely loud( especially action movies). I highly doubt the parents put earplugs in their kid's ears. Could lead to long term hearing loss
-6 months old have weak immune systems. They really shouldn't be in a public place with that many people. Who knows what people in the theater have illness wise.

Earlier someone was trying to blame the shooting on the baby, which is stupid. However, i think bringing your 6 month old to a 2+ hour loud action movie for a midnight release is totally irresponsible as a parent.

acksman

This whole thing is so crazy, I keep hearing people around me at work talking about it.
Some are actually questioning if they will go tonight.
Really creepy the kind of impact and ripples that things like this can create these days.

The bolded part, have quite a few saying they will at least wait to go to the movies for a while. It logically does not make sense, but emotion usually trumps logic in these situations.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
This is the most readily available gas mask in the US. Israeli civillian issue.

M-15-israeli-gas-mask.jpg

And its older variant.

325121.jpg

This is the US military issue

gasmask-M40-1.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
No but I had this discussion with my GFs brother who is a practicing pediatrician. Sorry it is bad parenting. You are responsible for your kid. Don't bring them to a theater at 12 am especially a loud action movie.

For their health's sake.

Okay, I see that. It has abolutely nothing to do with what happened today though.

Pandemic

Was this man alone or did he have an accomplice?

Well according to a witness account that just aired, he said someone had sat down at the front of the theater, and then moved over towards the door, opened the emergency exit door, and checked if anyone was there. And then said the suspect entered and the smoke grenades and gunfire rang out.

But they haven't said anything about an accomplice.

Tess3ract

Banned
You can't read. I said nothing about the risk of getting shot.
I can read just fine. I'm saying they're two unrelated things. You yourself say they're two unrelated things.

There's no reason to blame the mother right now, as the fault lies with the shooter, period.

Even though I am not entirely against the death penalty, the bolded statement is not true.
Taking things out of context would do that to you.

If the death penalty is the most severe punitive action that could be taken by this particular state, it is neither surprising nor illogical for people to want to exact the maximum punishment for the perpetrator. I was not making a normative judgment about the death penalty (which I vehemently oppose), I was simply following the clear logical thread attached to that line of thinking.

The bolded part, have quite a few saying they will at least wait to go to the movies for a while. It logically does not make sense, but emotion usually trumps logic in these situations.

I'm not scared of getting shot, I just don't imagine I could enjoy an experience in a movie theater for a while, especially after hearing the live witness accounts on the news this morning. It's just so awful.

MThanded

I can read just fine. I'm saying they're two unrelated things. You yourself say they're two unrelated things.
Someone in this thread asked why there was a 3 month old in the theater.

There's no reason to blame the mother right now, as the fault lies with the shooter, period.
Where did I blame the mother for her child getting shot?

LordAlu

Another small update:

BBC News said:
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has cancelled several Friday radio interviews, but will speak in New Hampshire later on Friday. In a statement, Mr Romney called the shootings "senseless violence" and called for the perpetrator to be "quickly brought to justice".

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
what a load of shit

You're also assuming that the guy went through some terrible tragedy to come out so broken. He could have also been a loner that became so disenfranchised and embittered with life that he viewed other people with extreme contempt.
I'm believing (also a big assumption) that this person has been planning this for a while. He knows the attention shootouts like this bring, and during the biggest opening movie event of the summer. His actions to me say he's a detached sociopath that hates people but loves fame and noteriety.
We don't know either side at the moment, but I'm not inclined to be sympathetic to him based on his methods alone. It doesn't say "cry for help" to me

Kinyou

I just think that this whole tragedy just happened to expose some bad parenting as well. Something you can rightfully get upset about, though it obviously is pretty minor compared to the overall events.

Godslay

Banned

For their health's sake.

I agree that it is bad parenting. Wait to the next day and go to the matinee. Midnight is very late for a kid, even a 6 year old in my opinion.

Uchip

Banned
You are clueless. he took a childs life among others, this wasn't a rage killing, it was a cold calculated massacre. there is truly an apologist for everything.

ad hominem attacks aren't convincing me of anything other than your attempt at affirmation appeal on the forums.

kaskade

Really saddened by this news. It's terrible how an enjoyable experience such as going to the movies can be ruined by one person.

I wonder if that is what the guy was thinking? I could be giving him too much credit and he was just a psychopath. It's going to be hard to not have that thought in the back of my mind for a while.

Tess3ract

Banned
Someone in this thread asked why there was a 3 month old in the theater.

Where did I blame the mother.
I didn't mean you specifically, it seems like most of the people posting about the damn kid are trying to blame the mother, that it was her fault her kid died/was put in jeopardy, when that's not the (direct) case.

Interfectum

It logically does not make sense, but emotion usually trumps logic in these situations.

Logically it does make sense. We all get caught up in the hype of these huge entertainment / media releases. We go see movies as if it's a huge event in our lives. When something like this happens it is a massive buzzkill that makes people re prioritize things if even for a little bit.

Most people I've talked to this morning aren't going to see Batman this weekend either. Just not in the mood anymore.

effzee

Oh god.. Apparently from a witness account, a man went and and sat at the front of the theater, he walked over towards the emergency door, opened it, and checked if anyone was there. The witness said it looked like he was doing hand movements and eventually a man in all black, armor, helmet, and so forth came in, and the gunfire started from then on..

Wow if this is true its extremely scary.

MThanded

Internet detectives are horrible. Any easy way to tell this isn't the guy is to go back through his timeline and see he mentioned his birthday in February. The moment I knew the name I saw this guy and tried to look for incorrect facts. People need to do their homework first.

Questionable parenting or no, that does not change the fact that these people have been victims of horrific and traumatic circumstances. Calling their characters into question at a time like this is merely a stone's throw away from victim blaming.

Mikey Jr.

Earlier someone was trying to blame the shooting on the baby, which is stupid. However, i think bringing your 6 month old to a 2+ hour loud action movie for a midnight release is totally irresponsible as a parent.

Seriously. Your baby comes before watching a movie for fuck sakes.

"Can't find a sitter"

Whata bullshit response.

Pandemic

Here's a news report on Jessica Ghawi,
KSAT 12 News has confirmed that a woman who recently moved from San Antonio to Denver was killed during the mass shooting at a Colorado theater Friday morning.

The parents of Jessica Ghawi informed KSAT of her death over the phone around 5 a.m.

KSAT has also learned a friend visiting Ghawi, Brent Lowak, 27 of Bulverde, was wounded in the shooting. Lowak's mother told KSAT 12 News that he underwent surgery but was expected to recover. Lowak's mother told KSAT 12 News that her son told her he saw tear gas and then heard gunfire. Lowak had originally planned to return to San Antonio on Saturday.

This wasn't the first time that Ghawi had been involved in a shooting. In June, she narrowly escaped a shooting in a mall in Toronto. She blogged about the incident, which you can read about here.

http://www.ksat.com/news/BREAKING-N...ting/-/478452/15615996/-/y96vt4z/-/index.html

ChiTownBuffalo

Childrens Hospital reports 6 victims rec'd. 1 has passed away, Remaining are stable to critical.

Aurora - 15 patient, 4 are in critical condition. 4 treated and released. Youngest is 16 years. Oldest 31

Swedish - 3 admitted. 2 critical.

University - 23 admitted. 3 released, includes 3 month old. 9 others are in critical condition, a few have been in surgery all night/morning.

DGH - 6 admitted. All six are in fair.

paskowitz

It is times like this you wish there was a police officer or a military veteran present. Someone to put the lives of others before their own.

joe2187

Banned
People saying they were thinking this was some sort of publicity stunt when they saw him walk in and thought it was part of the show...

Im reminded the Massacre that happened 3 years ago during christmas at the house across from me, A man walks up to a house for a christmas party dressed as santa claus and then a little girl opens the door to see santa shoot her in the face. The red sack he's carrying is filled with a propane tank that he rigged for a homemade flamethrower and proceeds to set fire and shoot everyone in the house. (the little girl survived)

I woke up christmas morning to sirens and watching a house burn down while cop cars blocked off every street corner and alleyway.

So much sickness on this world

Internet detectives are horrible. Any easy way to tell this isn't the guy is to go back through his timeline and see he mentioned his birthday in February. The moment I knew the name I saw this guy and tried to look for incorrect facts. People need to do their homework first.

Or people should just leave the police work to the police. That might be a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom