• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy spent (still going) ~$3,000 on Steam Winter Sale Badges

BraXzy

Unless he genuinely wants to lvl up his steam profile.. wouldn't it have just made more sense buying the stuff straight up? Or is he now in too deep?

EDIT: He just hit 1k

He's currently got 9,690 items in his inventory. If he sold everyone of those for $1 he would get $9,690!

We all know some of those items sell for WELL over that. Crazy.

998... 999...

1000!

7897153de91027e9fee646656b5bdc830a0fb0c1.png

Alec

Unless he genuinely wants to lvl up his steam profile.. wouldn't it have just made more sense buying the stuff straight up? Or is he now in too deep?

EDIT: He just hit 1k

He probably wants to be the only guy in the world to have maxed out these particular badges.

BPoole

It's a fantastic idea.
I bought 20 of the card before the event around 13-15p each and sold them on day of sale for about 60-80p a card. First time I have ever done something like that.
Bought a few games with that money, it all funnels back into Valve whatever way it goes.
Yep, and just imagine Valve is getting ~5¢ each time a card is sold. Go to the snow globes in the market and try to buy the first item that appears on the list. You'll literally never get the first one since they sell so fast. I even refreshed, went straight to page 3, and still couldn't buy a card since it had sold already.

It's a great revenue stream for Valve, and the game devs to a lesser extent. People that participate gets the badges and items, and the ppl that don't can sell them and make a few bucks. Everyone wins.

Zafir

I'm not surprised, knew this was going to happen when the idea of cards came out.

On the plus side, we can all feel better about ourselves that we don't go that mental over spending money!

Incidentally he's at 1000 now for the normal card.

Risible

Something funky with that account. I was comparing my TF2 stats to his and noticed that he had 227 achievements to my 332. No biggie, I figured, I probably play more than him. Looked at his total play time - 2.48 hours. What?

Can anyone explain this?

Cheeky

Something funky with that account. I was comparing my TF2 stats to his and noticed that he had 227 achievements to my 332. No biggie, I figured, I probably play more than him. Looked at his total play time - 2.48 hours. What?

Can anyone explain this?

Playtimes weren't introduced from the start.

If he wants to spend $3000 on it then more power to him. I don't see why you all feel his spending habits need to be policed, he's obviously well off.

It's like judging you for spending on video games instead of more practical things. If he gets joy out of it then let him do it. $3000 is not a lot of money for a lot of people.

Can anyone explain this?
Steam achievements are incredibly trivial to spoof, even if you're not using an external program like Steam Achievement Manager, there are sometimes servers you can go to in-game to unlock large swathes of them with a chat command.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I wonder if that economist that Valve hired had anything to do with the badge program.

I also wonder if this person has a problem with his brain's impulse control center.

I am so glad that I've never been that obsessed with anything.

Dragon

Banned
If he wants to spend $3000 on it then more power to him. I don't see why you all feel his spending habits need to be policed, he's obviously well off.

It's like judging you for spending on video games instead of more practical things. If he gets joy out of it then let him do it. $3000 is not a lot of money for a lot of people.

Hey guys I think we've found the guy!

Enco

Valve is genius.

First hats and now cards.

Why the fuck should they make any games? Just make hats/cards and get easy money.

So other than a few characters on you screen saying you are LEVEL 1000, what else did this guy achieve by doing this?

Every time you craft a badge to get an item or two you can sell. Everything I've ever gotten was worthless though (like 5 cents). Of course I'm not crafting level 1000 badges :lol

kswiston

I got 3 levels of the snow globe badge for fun. My wife and I have an account each, and between voting and me crafting a few badges, we didn't really have to buy anything. I even came out ahead, since one of the snow globe cards was a foil card, which I promptly sold for $1.75.

Anyhow, in the process of selling duplicate cards and buying the ones I was missing, I started thinking of how much those commissions add up. Even on the stuff selling for less than a quarter (which includes most cards), Valve is making 2-3 cents on every transaction. Thousands of those snowglobes were being sold per minute this morning judging by refresh rates. That stuff has to add up.

You can sell those stupid things? Great.

...on second thought, I can't even bring myself to do that. It's too stupid.

...on third thought - can we replace all microtransactions and DLC that actually negatively affect games with this stuff? Then everyone wins.

Top Bottom