• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Ty$ and Kendrick

Screen-Shot-2015-05-25-at-12.26.51-PM.png

Mik317

ALLA is pretty damn good. Lot of solid tracks and only one I don't like (its moreso boring than bad). Not many OMG WOW standouts but lots of good stuff here. Could stand for some dropped tracks as it is a bit long but I like it.

idk i feel the other way around. GKMC feels like a much more standard album soundwise to me, like a refined version of Section 80. TPaB feels like a departure cause of all the different black music samples (old and new). When i listen to GKMC i think; I'm listening to a conventional, but refined hood story come up album but it still feels like stuff I've heard before. TPaB, just kind of feels like more of a sampler platter of sounds; and in that sense reminds me of a kanye album.

Dunno. GKMC is more aggressive than Section80 and overall lacks a lot of the jazz and r&b vibes that album had. Overall TPAB's tone is more in line with Section80; a lot of that "jazz shit," as Pharrell would say. Sonically it reminds me of a variety of albums, specifically the great r&b records of the 70s and 80s. Back when r&b was actually rhythm and blues, consisting of nearly every form of "black music" plus other stuff. There was far less of the concept of "oh he's mixing everything together, it's swell!" I doubt many people listened to Innervisions and said that at the time, whereas now a lot of mainstream music is probably less expansive than the days of Stevie Wonder and Prince. I noticed many similar comments about Black Messiah, which feels like the closest modern album to TPAB sonically.

The keyboards and sax on These Walls sound exactly like 70s Stevie Wonder shit, for instance. Speaking of which this is another reason why the Kanye comparisons fall away. On the surface you could say both albums mix a variety of genres I guess, but then again they just seem like different creative processes. There's a real jam session feel to TPAB, with some of the best musicians in the business throwing ideas around with a lot of creative freedom. A lot of the keys on the album are basically Robert Glasper just doing what he wants, for instance. I can't really think of many cases of that with a Kanye album since Late Registration. Even Dark Fantasy feels rather restricted to verse-chorus-verse-chorus structures. I'm listening to Devil In A New Dress right now, and it's one of the few Kanye tracks that goes in a different direction in terms of the bridge/guitar solo.

I don't mean any of that as a criticism of Kanye, just saying his style is different.

HiResDes

Cruisin through the winter in a winnebago, put my name at Einstein so I might win a bagel. Blast the tech rapid like a shaken Faygo, stack the money tall, bricks like Lego. Coke money, stashed work chillin in an a hole, Mafioso Thug never seen a day slow.

Creeping Thug, silent killer, peep the slug, long caterpillar. Drive the stolen Fiat to the key spot. European steez, check the steez we got. Keep the heat steady like a Teapot.

Dereck

Cruisin through the winter in a winnebago, put my name at Einstein so I might win a bagel. Blast the tech rapid like a shaken Faygo, stack the money tall, bricks like Lego. Coke money, stashed work chillin in an a hole, Mafioso Thug never seen a day slow.

Creeping Thug, silent killer, peep the slug, long caterpillar. Drive the stolen Fiat to the key spot. European steez, check the steez we got. Keep the heat steady like a Teapot.
KDbffOj.png

On first listen I'd give the album a 22 or a 23 out of 30 on first listen I wouldnt say there's any bad songs on the album but the ones I'm not feeling evoke meh.

Cudder

fuck i thought Bones was gonna get a verse on Canal St. it's just rocky rapping over Dirt. still proud of my boy elmo tho.

sesh

This is a Hov verse from 2024 when white rappers dominate the game.

#staywoke

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
fuck i thought Bones was gonna get a verse on Canal St. it's just rocky rapping over Dirt. still proud of my boy elmo tho.

sesh

I haven't heard the full album yet but that track showed up on SC and I'm pretty sure Bones appears twice on it. Unless it's a fake or something.

Dereck

StarFox... play Luther Vandross whilst beatin' Andross...
My bands floss... criss-cross applesaucee, grip the Snapple, pause....
Restart the rhyme scheme... nothing but bad bytches.... call thatta' dime team
Graduated from a gat to an automatic, to a manual from automatic
Read the manual... rap annual, slap Emmanuel wit' the amulet

Cowboys and Indians, c-notes and benjamins
my chick hit the high notes like minnie ripperton
foxtrot with the bimbo in some timbos, the kid is nimble
swing the sword like Yojimbo
to slice you like Kimbo
speak in code like Egyptian symbols
never simp hos, game complex but look simple
that's how I bang your broad like a cymbal
then flee from the law like I'm Richard Kimble
platinum chopsticks lift the codfish
organic garlic from the farmers market
Benz fold into a briefcase, don't have to park it
creep through your hood like capoeira
in bally shoes I'm from a dapper era,
my reflection so trill I had to dap the mirror

rTjIBPe.png
rTjIBPe.png

steak sauce on the collar, my greens are collard
fine wines, no aqua, shit is awkward
...put the Benz in park, then hit the park up
niggas playin parkhour when they hear them shots buck
they compare me to John, cuz ima Popper
.....when niggas was pop lockin, i popped lockets
...stop watchin, my shot is John Stockton
flyin out to Stockholm, just to get my stocks up
..i show'em hell...my watch like a frozen shell
my chick roll a L while i sniff the Joel McHale
..Im pitchin Joe Montana to all the scramblers
...you play witcha hammer, you gettin hammered
...they see the face on camera i get the slander
you see me ride, no hands, its just the standard
...sautee'd the salmon, my chick is famished
..its like the coupe just vanished the way im mashin, Marcberg nigga.

xDwjE0e.png

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Reminds me of Wanderlust esp the remix which is one of my favorite tracks by him. I'll gladly take a more uptempo, poppy Abel record.

Reminds me of Wanderlust esp the remix which is one of my favorite tracks by him. I'll gladly take a more uptempo, poppy Abel record.

i definitely wouldn't prefer that by any means, but I think he could do a good job
i have no idea what to think of the album now since he was teasing mood music again the other day
who knows
could just be the token radio single
here's the deal, give us another mixtape and you can make a pop album and get that mula

edit:

the ye verse on Jukebox Joints

i'm on electric body now, Ye coming up next

This song couldn't be more out of place on this compilation

Not to say everything else on this is wack because it's far from it...but this is a such a cut above everything else on it.

Actual personality, insane rhyme schemes, beat actually knocks outside of headphones.

Thats my last real NY rapper brehs
je0ZmWv.png

I've always thought this track was absolute flames. Like a lost 90s classic that resurfaced in 2012.

new weeknd

The Weeknd- I Can't Feel My Face

sounds different from his usual stuff..

Wanderlust Remix comparisons are pretty spot on. Reminds me of Kissland, period, which is a good thing IMO. Really liked that album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom