• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackers tell Sony “The Interview may release now”—with edits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magwik

Banned
You guys really don't seem to understand how much NK actually has on Sony Picutres. 100TB of just shit they don't want in the public that could potentially ruin them. They aren't going to give in because of vague threats, they would give in because they fear what has already been taken will be made public.

kehs

Banned
In a message sent to company executives, the hacker group calling itself the Guardians of Peace has given Sony Pictures Entertainment the go-ahead

This might be the greatest sentence I have ever read.

Isn't the whole reason Sony backed out of release because of the personal information those hackers have? Not for some potential violence in movie theaters.

If someone had all my personal information and threatened me with it, I'd hardly respond with a "fuck off I'm releasing this anyway" mentality. Especially for a dumb film like this.

Maybe the lesson here is to not make a movie about killing a real person, especially someone who seems to be a certifiably violent attention whore. Like... why

"......But be careful. September 11 may happen again if you don't comply with the rules....... Rule #2: do not test us again ; Rule #3: if you make anything else, we will be here ready to fight."
Yeah, totally NOT terrorism....
These guys are terrorist! Nothing more.
9/11 threats, several hundred million $$$ of damage, several hundred terrabytes of private data stolen, extortion/blackmailing, etc. etc.
But some people in the US goverment act like this is some funny game.
Time to wake up and realize: This is terrorism!

If Obama doesn't call it "terrorism" later tonight he can go and fuck himself.
Time to name it what it is!

tauroxd

You guys really don't seem to understand how much NK actually has on Sony Picutres. 100TB of just shit they don't want in the public that could potentially ruin them. They aren't going to give in because of vague threats, they would give in because they fear what has already been taken will be made public.

That's what I was thinking the other day... They probably don't want more of their shit to go public, but I think GoP will release it all no matter what... Specially since thay have been talking about the Christmast pack, stuff that will be released that day and will be worst than all that has been released before. So what's thep point in paying attention to their demands?

Sorcerer

So whats the endgame here?

Is the movie dead and buried or is it going to get a home release?

I mean these terrorists could threaten to blow up stores that carry the blu-ray I guess.

Don't know how they would threaten digital distribution exactly.

iMax

Hope Sony releases it digitally and films an after-credits epilogue of the oh so terrifying "hackers" doing their worst.

Abounder

Banned
Release the movie. You're never going to get your data back from North Korea. It's just going to get sold to the black market net or whatever it's called. Sony is being beyond stupid

Not

Banned
Holy shit lol. Sony grow some balls and just release the movie, unedited. Don't let these POSs control us.

Begaria

Did somebody say edit?

n2ESA6I.jpg

Kim Jong Un shot first

Christ, man. Do you want World War 3 to happen?!?!

So whats the endgame here?

Is the movie dead and buried or is it going to get a home release?
Just wait until the dust settles.
Sony canceled the release of the movie, because all the cinema chains wimped out and didn't want to show it.
THE MOVIE WOULD BE IN CINEMAS RIGHT NOW! So say thank you to the cinema chains.

Now we have to wait and see what happens.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The terrorists wanted to see the movie.

Also, I'm pretty sure they aren't hardcore hackers or a terrorist cells, its some random North Korean guys who paid some hapless intern at Sony to give them the password and then posted a bunch of shit to pastebin.

TheJLC

Why haven't American gov responded yet? This whole farce is straight up terrorism.

They have by saying it was NK behind the attack. Nothing they can do though.

The president already assured people to go to the theaters. He's not going to deploy the military to secure a movie the US Government did not produce. It's all fear by theaters and Sony, the US gov can't do anything but assure them they are safe, which they have already done.

Burt

I'd be fine with them doing it if they pasted Kim Jung-il's head onto his body Mel Gibson South Park-style for the whole movie. Or Obama's, just to show them what's up.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'm drowning in subterfuge here!

What are the chances this is a move to allow laws that can create an opportunity for news orgs to get litigated against should they report stolen information? I mean people will more accepting of such measures if its to stop "terrorism and bullying" right?

kirby_fox

Banned
The death scene leaked online and wasn't even as gruesome as people were saying.

...to be honest I was half expecting the movie to end
with Rogen and Franco sitting around smoking weed with Kim Jung Un.

Coreda

I'm still dubious. Who reads any of this and thinks, wow these are state-sponsored hackers totally not doing it for the lulz. It reads like someone who wants an out ("You have suffered through enough threats", "The interview may release now. But be careful"). Either that or NK indeed operates like many other anon hackers with silly antics (it has certainly been effective though).

Edit: Just saw this thread. Seems to contradict these statements. Who knows what to believe.

Mesousa

Banned
Just wait until the dust settles.
Sony canceled the release of the movie, because all the cinema chains wimped out and didn't want to show it.
THE MOVIE WOULD BE IN CINEMAS RIGHT NOW! So say thank you to the cinema chains.

Now we have to wait and see what happens.

Its not Christmas yet.

Is this a joke? I mean, we were well past surreal already with the release being cancelled and even in that light this would be downright bizarre.

Edit: But really, I seriously question if this is legit or not.
Local radio station just reported Sony got an email today saying they want EVERYTHING related to this movie wiped from existence and included MORE demands. So I take this pastebin stuff as fake since it fits no MO.

Kinyou

Sony caved once and now the hackers act like they run the company. I guess that's why you don't give in to terrorist threats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom