• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Hackers: We won't release any more info now that Sony has scrapped THE INTERVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/19/...ase-more-data-because-the-interview-cancelled

The hackers who attacked Sony Pictures have called off the release of further stolen data because of the studio's decision not to release The Interview, according to CNN. CNN reports that top Sony executives received an email from the hacking group last night with a message saying that it would leave them alone for now. "It's very wise that you have made a decision cancel the release of The Interview. It will be very useful for you," CNN reports the message as reading. The email concludes, "We will assure the security of your data unless you make additional trouble."

That's both good and bad news for Sony. It should be relieved that it has stopped the publication of damaging stolen data — such as executives' emails — for now, though the fact that it's still out there presents an ongoing problem.

edit:

from kmax
"Now we want you never let the movie released, distributed or leaked in any form of, for instance, DVD or piracy."

"And we want everything related to the movie, including its trailers, as well as its full version down from any website hosting them immediately."

It warns the studio executives that "we still have your private and sensitive data" and claims that they will "ensure the security of your data unless you make additional trouble."

Also sounds like the hackers want to get the heat off their backs as well. US government involved? Sony pulling the release in a timely fashion? Phew. Ok everyone, even Steven!

Well, how will someone like Paramount react now? Team America wasn't specified...Or is it gonna be err on the side of caution for the foreseeable future, on anything NK related? The latter is what I don't want.

Kim Jong-Il was a known movie fanatic. He would be so, so thrilled to have his own major motion picture company at his every beck and call, I'm sure.

His fat, bumbling, incompetent, cheese loving son, however, will probably disappoint him.

kmax

Oh, they wrote more than that:

"Now we want you never let the movie released, distributed or leaked in any form of, for instance, DVD or piracy."

"And we want everything related to the movie, including its trailers, as well as its full version down from any website hosting them immediately."

It warns the studio executives that "we still have your private and sensitive data" and claims that they will "ensure the security of your data unless you make additional trouble."
http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/19/media/insde-sony-hack-interview/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

entremet

Didn't they only cancel the theatrical release? So I guess it will continue if they decide to release it on blu-ray and such.

I seriously doubt will see that movie anywhere ever.

It may get leaked unto torrents. That's still very unlikely.

forms

I wonder what the rest of the information entails. Secret spying agreements with governments? Something so fishy that it would make people throw their phones, consoles and TVs out the window?

Crazy we are gonna cower from these bastards
We have boys and girls fighting abroad for freedom and back home we're bending over for N.Korea.

entremet

Crazy we are gonna cower from these bastards
We have boys and girls fighting abroad for freedom and back home we're bending over for N.Korea.

False equivalency.

The US didn't capitulate, a private business did.

But the blame on Sony Pictures, not the US Government here.

Ursn

I had a few chances to see this movie at screenings during the summer. I'm kinda sad i didn't go now.

Actual email intercept

Dear Leader KIM JONG UN - The specs of PS4 are too weak! I demand Cerny start working on PS5 immediately.

Kaz Hirai CEO - Yes Sir

Dear Leader KIM JONG UN - PS5 MUST BE RELEASED by Summer 2015 bitch

Kaz Hirai CEO - Yes of course!

Jburton

Banned
Congrats on now operating your business under the control of a dictatorship, Sony Pictures Entertainment!

Yeah, look at all the support they got from the industry and media.

Everybody left them in the lurch and the media took advantage of the situation, cinema chains pulled the movie.

Without any support and the industry leaving them stranded what else where they supposed to do?

Their product, their call.

Burt

Well then, they should just stop being a company altogether. I mean, what's the point of doing anything if they need to check with their North Korean blackmailers first to make sure it's okay?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That movie needs to hit the internet so everyone on this fucking planet can see it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Can Sony release a North Korea style themed PS4? I'd buy.

yXTZX6K.jpg

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
So these hackers are going to hold on to this data forever right? In case they want to change anything else? I say just take the hit.

lmao NK comes out of all this getting exactly what they want. Over a movie of all things.

This entire thing is incredibly pathetic for all parties involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom