• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Hackers: We won't release any more info now that Sony has scrapped THE INTERVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Yeah, look at all the support they got from the industry and media.

Everybody left them in the lurch and the media took advantage of the situation, cinema chains pulled the movie.

Without any support and the industry leaving them stranded what else where they supposed to do?

Their product, their call.

Yep.

George Clooney called to show support via a petition, but no one signed it lol.

Just shows Hollywood's true colors.

KHarvey16

Sony pulled it because the large movie chains did. No company would pursue this kind of relationship with the hackers, and they aren't going to rely on their doing what they demand to keep their data out of the public. They'd be foolish to.

mackattk

Pretty muhc what I thought. Sony had some stuff that they didn't want to get out, and scrapped the interview because of it.

Jburton

Banned
Pretty muhc what I thought. Sony had some stuff that they didn't want to get out, and scrapped the interview because of it.

Nonsesne, they knew the extent of the information leak from the start and where still moving forward, the industry bailed on the movie and left them no choice.

Your narrative is a complete fabrication.

The leaks wouldn't be so bad if the media wouldn't be so quick to release clearly stolen private data to get some cheap clicks and meaningless gossip.

Sony should just release it online for free on Christmas Day.

The only reason Sony had to pull it is because the distributors didn't want to carry it due to threats of an attack.

Since most of North Korea has no internet we should attack them with their technological equivilant. I suggest glitter bombing them.

And what happens if tomorrow they say 'lol, we're releasing more stuff anyway'...what difference does it make? As if Sony would say 'no fair!' and release The interview in protest. Yeah right. By the balls, they got us.

entremet

If the movie is not released internationally can we pretty much say that the NK regime owns the world now?

It's not getting released at all. Ever.

The only possibilities is an online leak to pirates, but the hackers have threatened action even after that.

Jakoo

I understand Sony backing down on this, because they are already going to face massive class action lawsuits from their own employees about sensitive data being leaked, and they need to do whatever they can to potentially sate that. I can see the amount of litigation occurring as a result of this being potentially devastating.

Honestly, with the amount of information leaked and the PSN outages in the past, it makes me very gunshy about buying into any Sony ecosystems in the future.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Whatever thy have on Sony Pictures must be BIG if Sony complies.

BIG

entremet

That's unlikely. No one, not even the theaters, have suggested that. Everything is about delays and not releasing on the 25th. It'll come out in theaters next year some time.

You're more optimistic than me.

This movie has too much baggage. And the threats remains in place.

Loxley

Did I read a different account of what played out in the past few days than everyone else? Because I read that it was the theaters who refused to show the film because of the threats, and Sony only canceled its release completely because they were no longer going to make a profit from distributing it and were just going to take the $42 million loss.

Everyone is acting like Sony Pictures is somehow now under the thumb of North Korea when it wasn't Sony who got all paranoid and gave into the threats in the first place - it was the likes of AMC, Regal, and Cinemark.

I'm not trying to be antagonizing here, I'm genuinely curious why Sony are being called cowards when I don't really see much evidence of that being the case. .

forms

Now, for North Korea, the amount of money that Sony will siphon into global lobbying and direct activities against them will probably at least sting a bit. :D

In all honesty, this isn't so hard. Sony, seeing that the movie would TANK without the support of movie theaters, are choosing to delay their release. Thereby they have the most spoken of movie of all times once they do start showing it. Indirect, this is the best marketing move for a movie ever. And no, by no means do I believe they themselves are behind it. They are just doing the right move at the current time.

Zabka

Nonsesne, they knew the extent of the information leak from the start and where still moving forward, the industry bailed on the movie and left them no choice.

Your narrative is a complete fabrication.

Except they're doing exactly what the hackers are telling them to do which is to completely scrap the movie, not just pulling the theatrical release.

Sephzilla

Did I read a different account of what played out in the past few days than everyone else? Because I read that it was the theaters who refused to show the film because of the threats, and Sony only canceled its release completely because they were no longer going to make a profit from distributing it and were just going to take the $42 million loss.

Everyone is acting like Sony Pictures is somehow now under the thumb of North Korea when it wasn't Sony who got all paranoid and gave into the threats in the first place - it was the likes of AMC, Regal, and Cinemark.

I'm not trying to be antagonizing here, I'm genuinely curious why Sony are being called cowards when I don't really see much evidence of that being the case. .

Nothing was stopping them from sending it straight to DVD/BluRay or putting it on Netflix.

Theaters kind of put Sony in a tough spot but Sony still chickened out too. Sony probably could have made a really good haul on media sales with this too because the whole hack situation has put more attention on this movie that it would have ever had normally.

KHarvey16

You're more optimistic than me.

This movie has too much baggage. And the threats remain in place.

The movie is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. It didn't get released because the lawyers from a few theater chains said it could lead to them being held liable. That will blow over.

This is just sad. I understand you need to protect the interest of your employees, but this just shows this type of action works

galvatron

And what happens if tomorrow they say 'lol, we're releasing more stuff anyway'...what difference does it make? As if Sony would say 'no fair!' and release The interview in protest. Yeah right. By the balls, they got us.

The difference is that their next demand wouldn't be met. This is exactly how you should play it from the hacker's position.

lednerg

On an overcast day in NK, they should fly drones with laser projectors and loudspeakers playing Team America in the sky.

Crosseyes

Banned
Except they're doing exactly what the hackers are telling them to do which is to completely scrap the movie, not just pulling the theatrical release.
The hackers threatened the same to cinema companies and digital distributors that would do the same. Of all of them the cinemas really have the smallest to fear, NK is not going to blow up theatres.

Digital distributors though... Netflix or Amazon Prime have real reason to be afraid if NK is willing to make military scale attacks on their networks.
Nothing was stopping them from sending it straight to DVD/BluRay or putting it on Netflix.
Yeah there was, can't make a DVD no company will stock or sell or stream something no company will let them put on their services, which if the reports were true, is the case.

I don't think anyone was saying it's all Sony and not the theaters. Cowardice/caution, they all exhibited it. Sony opened the door by suggesting that theaters could opt out in the first place though, imo.

KHarvey16

I don't think anyone was saying it's all Sony and not the theaters. Cowardice/caution, they all exhibited it. Sony opened the door by suggesting that theaters could opt out in the first place though, imo.

I don't think Sony suggested that, and besides, they don't need permission from Sony to not show a movie.

The difference is that their next demand wouldn't be met. This is exactly how you should play it from the hacker's position.

But...why? Sony is holding no cards here, from their perspective of 'what else do they have?' or 'can they attack us again?'. These guys have not been caught. They can do whatever they want.

DopeToast

Banned
I'm so weirdly upset about this entire ordeal. I've never had strong feelings towards North Korea one way or another (mostly just from ignorance), but this pisses me off. The movie is going to leak. It has to.

RedStep

That's not really the case. Sony went first to the theaters and said "You don't have to show the movie if you don't want to" *wink* after which the theaters said "Alright, we're not showing the movie".

Sony clearly wanted an out, which they put out there and received.

[URL="http://abcnews.go.com/US/sony-theaters-show-interview-threats/story?id=27641600"]http://abcnews.go.com/US/sony-theaters-show-interview-threats/story?id=27641600[/URL]

Percy

Banned
Kim Jong Un really must not have a sense of humour at all. I mean, you never saw his dad do anything like this over Team America, or Saddam do anything over South Park the movie... Fuck, you never saw Hitler hacking Charlie Chaplin's emails did you?

Just because you're a tyrannical dictator doesn't mean you can't laugh at yourself ffs.

That movie needs to hit the internet so everyone on this fucking planet can see it.

I'll do you one better. Every movie released by every studio for the next 10 years should have a scene of Great Leader (lol) getting violently assassinated. Comedy, Drama, Sci-Fi etc... doesn't matter. Even if it doesn't make sense in the movie's plot whatsoever. Put a scene in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom