• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Hackers: We won't release any more info now that Sony has scrapped THE INTERVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

Did I read a different account of what played out in the past few days than everyone else? Because I read that it was the theaters who refused to show the film because of the threats, and Sony only canceled its release completely because they were no longer going to make a profit from distributing it and were just going to take the $42 million loss.

Everyone is acting like Sony Pictures is somehow now under the thumb of North Korea when it wasn't Sony who got all paranoid and gave into the threats in the first place - it was the likes of AMC, Regal, and Cinemark.

I'm not trying to be antagonizing here, I'm genuinely curious why Sony are being called cowards when I don't really see much evidence of that being the case. .

If they do hold this back from a digital release or something similar, then these hackers can use the same threat for decades for anything they don't want. I mean...they still have the data; this is never ending if Sony gives in to their demands.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I'm so weirdly upset about this entire ordeal. I've never had strong feelings towards North Korea one way or another (mostly just from ignorance), but this pisses me off. The movie is going to leak. It has to.

Read up on North Korea. Everyone should have loathed the country before this incident. While this is infuriating, its absolutely nothing compared to the stories that come out from people who live under the NK oppressive regime. Movie will leak eventually, I refuse to believe you can effectively Streisand something. Also, its understandable where Sony is coming from, but the precedent that has been set is very very bad.

Did I read a different account of what played out in the past few days than everyone else? Because I read that it was the theaters who refused to show the film because of the threats, and Sony only canceled its release completely because they were no longer going to make a profit from distributing it and were just going to take the $42 million loss.

Everyone is acting like Sony Pictures is somehow now under the thumb of North Korea when it wasn't Sony who got all paranoid and gave into the threats in the first place - it was the likes of AMC, Regal, and Cinemark.

I'm not trying to be antagonizing here, I'm genuinely curious why Sony are being called cowards when I don't really see much evidence of that being the case. .

Sony cancelled international release and DVD/Blu-Ray/VOD.

entremet

The movie is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. It didn't get released because the lawyers from a few theater chains said it could lead to them being held liable. That will blow over.

That's not what I'm reading.

Where are you getting your information?

IISANDERII

I think this was ultimately all about DVDs. One of the very few things North Koreans have are access to are black market DVDs and the regime definitely wouldn't want its subjugates to see The Interview.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Never giving SPE any money ever again.

I won't even waste my time watching The Interview if it ever comes out, unless the face-melting scene is uncensored.

Sony needs to stop being a bunch of sissies about this and just go all in. Fuck them, don't let these assholes tell you how to run your business.

Given that theaters were the location under supposed threat of violence, it wouldn't surprise me if they drove the decision making here.

i bet you anything, it's less the possibility of violence and more the possibility of being hacked that had them running scared. not to say they didn't want to avoid the risk of violence, just that the latter was much more possible than the former.

So was it the Americans in charge of the movie division who gave theatres the option to pull out or was it their Japanese overlords?

I had already heard that Japan was not happy with the movie division so if it was the Americans who fell to NK's demands then I assume heads will be rolling.

Yeah, look at all the support they got from the industry and media.

Everybody left them in the lurch and the media took advantage of the situation, cinema chains pulled the movie.

Without any support and the industry leaving them stranded what else where they supposed to do?

Their product, their call.

This. I lost a ton of respect for Sony over this whole ordeal but they are not the only ones responsible for the current situation.

KHarvey16

The rumors about theaters moving the release date came out before.

That's not what I'm reading.

Where are you getting your information?

Where am I getting it? Sony only pulled it once the theaters announced they wouldn't show it on Christmas. What other possible reason would the theaters have for pulling it other than concerns over liability? With no large chains to show it, Sony cancelled the originally planned release date. It will come out later. I have no idea how anyone can think this will continue in perpetuity forever and the movie can never come out. That's ridiculous.

Kinyou

Actual email intercept

Dear Leader KIM JONG UN - The specs of PS4 are too weak! I demand Cerny start working on PS5 immediately.

Kaz Hirai CEO - Yes Sir

Dear Leader KIM JONG UN - PS5 MUST BE RELEASED by Summer 2015 bitch

Kaz Hirai CEO - Yes of course!

Who knows, maybe North Korea got us those 8GB of GDDR5-Ram

Maybe they can do something about Last Guardian

daveo42

Banned
Looks like Sony is screwed anyway as we all know this will end up online anyway. Based on the info we have, it sounds like if this thing is ever available to anyone ever, the hackers are going to start releasing more Sony info.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It could easily be a bluff. They might have nothing else to release of great importance.

duckroll

The terrorists have really won here, at least for now. The facts of the events don't matter here, only the perception. Did Sony pull The Interview because they were afraid of threats from North Korea? No way. But does that matter? Nope. Why? Because terrorism isn't about facts, it's about fear and perceived results. The terrorists put out a threat, due to a series of events their demands were met, and then they put out a further message confirming their satisfaction and withdrawing the threat. That is a victory. It doesn't matter why Sony made those decisions, it doesn't matter that no one directly gave in, what matters is they have gotten the message out that they got what they wanted after making a threat. Awful outcome.

Jigorath

Banned
You know, if North Korea just let this film release without any fuss people would have forgotten it in like a week. Now this is has become one of the most talked about films on the planet. Whatever, I still hope to see it one day.

Just release the movie, Sony. You cant let these cyber-terrorists dictate your every move.
Let them release whatever info they have and just bring The Interview to VOD/streaming streaming services and release the DVD & Blu-ray. You'd clean up and everyone would support guys.

The terrorists have really won here, at least for now. The facts of the events don't matter here, only the perception. Did Sony pull The Interview because they were afraid of threats from North Korea? No way. But does that matter? Nope. Why? Because terrorism isn't about facts, it's about fear and perceived results. The terrorists put out a threat, due to a series of events their demands were met, and then they put out a further message confirming their satisfaction and withdrawing the threat. That is a victory. It doesn't matter why Sony made those decisions, it doesn't matter that no one directly gave in, what matters is they have gotten the message out that they got what they wanted after making a threat. Awful outcome.

Completely agree. And they'll want to do the same the next time.

Frodo

You know, if North Korea just let this film release without any fuss people would have forgotten it in like a week. Now this is has become one of the most talked about films on the planet. Whatever, I still hope to see it one day.

The Streisand Effect attacks again.

Gartooth

This whole ordeal is just depressing for what it could mean going forward. Businesses buckling to fear opens the floodgates to any powerful entity hacking and extorting a business to get what they want, even if it is completely arbitrary.

Seriously... F*** the media, the people who are glued to the leaked info, the theater chains and the outright disregard by the movie production industry. This is a huge precedent and a terrible one at that.

cruets

There are three kinds of people in this world.

Sony are pussies . Enjoy getting fucked by North Korea pussies. That's what happens when you give in to terrorism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom