• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Hackers: We won't release any more info now that Sony has scrapped THE INTERVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC Safety

Crazy we are gonna cower from these bastards
We have boys and girls fighting abroad for freedom and back home we're bending over for N.Korea.

It's not we.

We didn't decide to do anything.

The Sony corporation decided to cancel the film in order to protect its corporate assets.

Jburton

Banned
I understand why they did it as a business move, but I cannot in any way agree with the decision morally. full stop.

Now anytime Sony does something that North Korea doesn't like will they get a little message from Kim Jong Un...'ahem, don't do that...remember all that dirt we have on you. Don't test me.'?

They have essentially put themselves in the pocket of the worst government in the entire world. They should have just released the movie. I can't in good conscience support a business that remains in the blackmailed pocket of a horrible dictatorship which among countless other things has kept dissidents in nazi-style concentration camps for over 50 years.

You going to critizise Hollywood leaving Sony stranded, as well as the movie chains.

No one rallied to their support, industry and media of America, where the do most of their work and jobs investment abandoned them or piled on.

No one comes out of this well, no one.

Tom_Cody

Fuck this whole thing.

I hope this a wake-up call to businesses to better secure their networks/data. God, this whole this is kind of terrifying. I wish I knew more about cybersecurity.

Also remember that the film would have been shown in a very very small number of theaters even if Sony hadn't cancelled the release. As a business it probably made more sense to Sony cancel the release rather than have the film run limited pretty much to independent theaters and risk, uh, whatever people are afraid would actually happen. And they were probably already hearing from major retailers that they'd not carry the eventual home release.

Beefy

I understand why they did it as a business move, but I cannot in any way agree with the decision morally. full stop.

Now anytime Sony does something that North Korea doesn't like will they get a little message from Kim Jong Un...'ahem, don't do that...remember all that dirt we have on you. Don't test me.'?

They have essentially put themselves in the pocket of the worst government in the entire world. They should have just released the movie. I can't in good conscience support a business that remains in the blackmailed pocket of a horrible dictatorship which among countless other things has kept dissidents in nazi-style concentration camps for over 50 years.

They have no other choice? They have a duty to protect their employees, They can either not release the movie and hope the hackers move on. But they could also go the very costly way of getting new social security details for their employees, getting them to move, changing their accounts etc. Then clean house of the bullies and sexist people at the company. Also write off all the other films the hackers got and whatever else they managed to steal.

I do love how everyone is shitting on Sony when everyone else withdrew support and left them in the lurch.

Also threatening people who work in the US and buildings in the US is an threat made against the country, not just a company.

A company that hires and gives jobs to many Americans.

Some bullshit in here, almost fanboyesque

Funny, isn't it?

READ THIS: Hollywood Cowardice - George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
EVERYONE shitted in their pants! Everyone!

But "Oh noes, Sony teh pusseys". Yeah right!
I call that "victim blaming".

Fuck this whole thing.

I hope this a wake-up call to businesses to better secure their networks/data. God, this whole this is kind of terrifying. I wish I knew more about cybersecurity.
FBI Official: Malware in Sony Attack Would Have Gotten Past 90% Of Cybersecurity Defenses
You can "secure" your networks/data as much as you want. Some things simply can't be protected, as you can see.
These assholes are terrorists. Nothing more!

Did I just say deal with the shitty people?
Yeah, and I'm saying it doesn't matter because through hacking they could ruin things for Sony that have no relation to shitty people and changing some personal details wouldn't help that much. Even if they got rid of all the shitty people these hackers could still effect Sony as a company. This wouldn't end simply because they fired everyone that did something bad and changed a few details for the other employees. If they got hacked once there's no reason it couldn't happen again and get more shit stirred up.

Funny, isn't it?

READ THIS: Hollywood Cowardice - George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack

This can't be stated enough. Sony deserves a huge portion of the blame, but looking at the entirety of the situation and the events that transpired and the potential consequences Sony didn't have much of a choice.

We don't even know if they got a screener, right? For all we know they could leak it themselves and then release their blackmail info anyway.

whitehawk

Banned
They should do a stealth release in the new year. You'd just walk into the theater one day and "oh, the interview is paying" there would be no time to plan any attacks.

jelly

Sony is just biding their time while they get their shit together and the US government can get their teeth into the whole thing. They need to be prepared for more fallout, not lumped with it all. People are being a bit harsh, real information on real people is out there, not just juicy gossip, don't jump the gun, prepare for the worst based on what was stolen if they even know how much and take the fight to NK when your ready. The movie will release.

Funny, isn't it?

FBI Official: Malware in Sony Attack Would Have Gotten Past 90% Of Cybersecurity Defenses
You can "secure" your networks/data as much as you want. Some things simply can't be protected, as you can see.

Mind if I make a thread out of this? The letter itself is threadworthy, but the interview is gold.

Beefy

Yeah, and I'm saying it doesn't matter because through hacking they could ruin things for Sony that have no relation to shitty people and changing some personal details wouldn't help that much. Even if they got rid of all the shitty people these hackers could still effect Sony as a company. This wouldn't end simply because they fired everyone that did something bad and changed a few details for the other employees. If they got hacked once there's no reason it couldn't happen again and get more shit stirred up.

They could clean themselves up and sort out peoples details etc and take the hit afters. Yes it would still be a big hit, but not as big as would be. Basically what I said in my previous post. They need time to sort themselves out internally, then decide if they want to release the film.

Bold One

Funny, isn't it?

gotta agree, Hollywood really hung Sony out to dry on this one

Sulik2

Funny, isn't it?

That 90% thing is crap. Read some stuff from security professionals analyzing what happened. Sony made massive mistakes that could have protected them from lots of these issues. Look at the Ars Technica article on it.

Jigorath

Banned
Ok ok ok... let me get this straight. These hackers, that exposed all the dirty deeds of a company are the bad guys. The company committing all these acts are the good guys? Am I understanding this right? People are more upset over a stupid movie not getting released, but you're not upset over not knowing what other shocking corrupt bullshit that goes on behind the scenes in Hollywood that'll remain hidden?

No, hacking is not right, I understand that, but the hacks ultimately exposed so much about a company, and all the problems inside. What if the hackers have info such as full on criminal acts committed by Sony? What if they have info on more corruption linking Hollywood with the government? But no, we're more worried about a movie getting screwed over, while Sony can breath a sigh of relief and continue to screw everyone over. Yes, the hackers aren't innocent or freedom fighters for the good of mankind, but what they did probably doesn't even compare to the crimes Sony might have committed. Sony seems to be scared enough to pull the movie.

Breaking news: Hollywood is filled with assholes. Thanks for the info North Korea. You really did us a solid there. Couldn't have figured that one out on our own.

Yamauchi

Banned
Can't wait for Activision to scrap the next Call of Duty. Vegas should start taking bets on whether Putin or ISIS forces their hand.
I have made my reasons known in previous Sony hack threads. I find repugnant the notion of the American film industry poking fun at the leader of a sovereign nation by violently depicting his death for a cheap laugh. Given that North Korea has no diplomatic representation in the United States, I deem its actions appropriate given the offense.

Bold One

Ok ok ok... let me get this straight. These hackers, that exposed all the dirty deeds of a company are the bad guys. The company committing all these acts are the good guys? Am I understanding this right? People are more upset over a stupid movie not getting released, but you're not upset over not knowing what other shocking corrupt bullshit that goes on behind the scenes in Hollywood that'll remain hidden?

is this guy for real? mind if we dig through your personal info and search history, I'm sure you are most righteous

That 90% thing is crap. Read some stuff from security professionals analyzing what happened. Sony made massive mistakes that could have protected them from lots of these issues. Look at the Ars Technica article on it.

The FBI has currently all pieces of evidence.
So right now I believe the FBI more than Ars Technica's article.

And still: It's not like Sony's password was "Password" or as if they didn't have security/passwords at all.
They got attacked and are the victim.

Burt

I have made my reasons known in previous Sony hack threads. I find repugnant the notion of the American film industry poking fun at the leader of a sovereign nation by violently depicting his death for a cheap laugh. Given that North Korea has no diplomatic representation in the United States, I deem its actions appropriate given the offense.
Oh, okay. You were joking. Sorry, it was hard to pick up on that with how brief the post I quoted was, and people have actually been trying to justify NK's actions.

Beefy

What?

hitsugi

The FBI has currently all pieces of evidence.
So right now I believe the FBI more than Ars Technica's article.

And still: It's not like Sony's password was "Password" or as if they didn't have security/passwords at all.
They got attacked and are the victim.

...they did opt to make numerous decisions against having proper security though..

...and this is after the PSN hack. You would think most companies would invest a bit after such a thing, but no.

...they did opt to make numerous decisions against having proper security though..

...and this is after the PSN hack. You would think most companies would invest a bit after such a thing, but no.

Most companies do not invest in IT. At all. I work for a company that does business related to my avatar. So IT security is TOP priority for everything.

My wife's company? Zero investment. They still run Windows XP for almost all their computers. All documents and critical data reside in unsecured shared drives as word/excel docs. Her previous employer? Almost the same.

Except it is a company and not the US being pushed around.

No, but if US business (yes, I know Sony Pictures' parent company is Japanese, but we're talking about a US based movie company) is allowed to be pushed around by foreign threat and the US can't/won't protect it, then it's a problem.

That's like saying "so what if banditos came into town and robbed the blacksmith, why's that the sheriff's problem"?

however, I'm betting the FBI is indeed about to fuck them up.

black_13

Banned
Everyone sure is quick to blame Sony for not releasing it when theater companies decided not to show it and Paramount cancelled showings of Team America for the exact same reasons.

Sony is a private corporation. Why should they risk releasing it when not even the US government has been able to stop the leaks and have had direct threats made against them and their employees. They are just trying to protect themselves.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Security experts or the FBI. Who to believe...

hitsugi

Most companies do not invest in IT. At all. I work for a company that does business related to my avatar. So IT security is TOP priority for everything.

My wife's company? Zero investment. They still run Windows XP for almost all their computers. All documents and critical data reside in unsecured shared drives as word/excel docs. Her previous employer? Almost the same.

Again, their decision to not beef things up after the PSN hack was a poor one. I am not comparing Sony to random companies nor their peers in the private sector because most companies could be blindsided once, sure.. but this wasn't the first attack.

I also work for an area in which infosec is a top priority.

KHarvey16

Hahaha, what an asshole.

Again, their decision to not beef things up after the PSN hack was a poor one. I am not comparing Sony to random companies nor their peers in the private sector because most companies could be blindsided once, sure.. but this wasn't the first attack.

I also work for an area in which infosec is a top priority.

Agreed. Sony should have taken more precaution after the PSN hack. And they deserve the majority of the blame. But I honestly see any private company that isn't in defense/space becoming victims of multiple large scale cyber attacks before any meaningful changes are made. They are the private sector after all.

Grym

You going to critizise Hollywood leaving Sony stranded, as well as the movie chains.

No one rallied to their support, industry and media of America, where the do most of their work and jobs investment abandoned them or piled on.

No one comes out of this well, no one.

Oh don't worry. 3 big local theater chains here announced they weren't airing it before Sony decided to scrap the whole thing. I very much publicly criticize them too and do not intend to support their decisions either

They have no other choice? They have a duty to protect their employees, They can either not release the movie and hope the hackers move on. But they could also go the very costly way of getting new social security details for their employees, getting them to move, changing their accounts etc. Then clean house of the bullies and sexist people at the company. Also write off all the other films the hackers got and whatever else they managed to steal.

They do have a choice. They are bowing to demands and them bowing in no way protects their employees. They hope it does, but NK still has all that data. Nothing is ensuring this action protects anything unless you believe the words coming from NK.

Someone release the film it so more of Sony's secrets come out. Especially if it is more information on unethical business practices that plague all of Hollywood.

We can't expect these things to change if they aren't brought to the public's attention.

Someone release the film it so more of Sony's secrets come out. Especially if it is more information on unethical business practices that plague all of Hollywood.
Yeah, release more private informations and data of Sony's employees. Good job, terrorists.
More! So I can read all the emails of some Sony Pictures managers and laugh at them on Neogaf. More hundred millions of $$$ wasted. More damage! GO TERRORISM! YAY!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom