• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haikyuu!! Third Season |OT| Karasuno vs Shiratorizawa

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a sexy pick. What I mean by that is it's a great show but not something that is gonna get referenced on Facebook or tumblrs etc. one punch man, kabaneri is the kinda stuff that more people would know about( I'm not trying to be snooty or anything btw. But those other shows are stuff that my casual anime friends would watch and know about and not a volleyball anime)

Not so sure about that. Haikyuu runs in Weekly Shonen Jump...

It's not a sexy pick. What I mean by that is it's a great show but not something that is gonna get referenced on Facebook or tumblrs etc. one punch man, kabaneri is the kinda stuff that more people would know about( I'm not trying to be snooty or anything btw. But those other shows are stuff that my casual anime friends would watch and know about and not a volleyball anime)

Also Haikyu being a CR show, it's cool to note that Haikyu ranked in the top 10 of CR most popular show during the whole fall season. But I'm sure it's more that the judges just did not watch it.

blakep267

Not so sure about that. Haikyuu runs in Weekly Shonen Jump...
Crunchyroll is a primarily western site. I'm sure in Japan Haikyuu would sweep but you can check any pirate streaming site and see what's hot and Those other shows are way more popular. I love haikyuu but it's hard to come across people that watch it aside from the dedicated thread here

Yonafunu

Haikyuu's doing pretty well in Japan. It's like the 5th best selling manga this year IIRC and ranks in Jump's top 5 (sometimes top 3) pretty consistently.

TheFlow

Banned
Manga readers, is the quality still as strong as the anime so far into the story? No biased answers. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I am a sports manga enthusiast and I gotta say haiyku is up there with the best of them. The manga has finally reached he national tournament and it is hype

shira

Crunchyroll is a primarily western site. I'm sure in Japan Haikyuu would sweep but you can check any pirate streaming site and see what's hot and Those other shows are way more popular. I love haikyuu but it's hard to come across people that watch it aside from the dedicated thread here
Myanime listed them top for all of S3

Who are these judges even?
Miranda Sanchez - Editor at IGN Entertainment
LeSean Thomas - Animation producer, director (The Boondocks & Black Dynamite), creator of Crunchyroll’s upcoming project Children of Ether
Xavier Woods - WWE superstar and known anime-lover, aka Austin Creed
Matt Schley - Otaku USA Magazine
Yomimaid - Event Chair at San Francisco Anime Festival & Cosplay
Tristan Gallant - Glass Reflection
Lauren Orsini - Otaku Journalist
kunk-rum.gif

I doubt that considering the other shows that aired this year or even this same season.

Wiseblade

Myanime listed them top for all of S3

Who are these judges even?
Miranda Sanchez - Editor at IGN Entertainment
LeSean Thomas - Animation producer, director (The Boondocks & Black Dynamite), creator of Crunchyroll’s upcoming project Children of Ether
Xavier Woods - WWE superstar and known anime-lover, aka Austin Creed
Matt Schley - Otaku USA Magazine
Yomimaid - Event Chair at San Francisco Anime Festival & Cosplay
Tristan Gallant - Glass Reflection
Lauren Orsini - Otaku Journalist
kunk-rum.gif
I know 5 of the 7 people on that list and they're legit. You can't expect everyone to have seen everything and it's easy for a show in its third season that doesn't have a no-brainer category to get lost in the shuffle.

Wiseblade

Like I can buy the argument that it isn't the most popular so it didn't factor into most of the voting, but the fact that it wasn't nominated for best sports anime is ridiculous and a huge blind spot in the judging
There'd have to be a "Best Sport Anime" category first.

mdubs

Banned
I don't even know what to do with myself when I listen to this

Jesus, this is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too good

I know.

I think what makes it so good is because it has so much continuity with the previous main themes, so when you go into hyperdrive during the final point it's just too intense.

The main theme for the first season was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2C5wpmFmc

Then the second season's main theme is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKTsXYL55u4

And finally we have the third season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkpdaLLj2FQ

I could write more words about the musical progression here and how it corresponds perfectly with the goings-ons of each season, but it suffices to say that Yuki Hayashi did an amazing job.

Yeah, The musical progress of the main theme, and how it reflects the progress in the story and character development of the team, is absolutely brilliant.
GOAT OST

LProtag

Man, I just watched the whole series a week ago or so, but hearing the soundtrack just makes me want to watch it again.

shira

I know.

I think what makes it so good is because it has so much continuity with the previous main themes, so when you go into hyperdrive during the final point it's just too intense.

The main theme for the first season was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2C5wpmFmc

Then the second season's main theme is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKTsXYL55u4

And finally we have the third season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkpdaLLj2FQ

I could write more words about the musical progression here and how it corresponds perfectly with the goings-ons of each season, but it suffices to say that Yuki Hayashi did an amazing job.

Ahhh that's why the first one is so familiar it's the same song they used to close out Season 3 with the Spike test.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Copying over from the anime thread because I didn't know this thread existed:

Haikyuu S1-S3
So I've been sick last week so I had a lot of free time. I asked about follow-ups to Ping Pong and Haikyuu was suggested.

As promised, this is a much more "shounen" and by-the-books sort of show, but I still thought it was good.

The animation and pacing was pretty consistent (even though-- ~10 episodes for one match, lol -- and it's easy to keep animation consistent when you're reusing a shitton of animation each episode), the characters were likable though they did not have amazing depth (I thought it was alright).
The matches felt exciting and like real matches, mostly grounded. It could get sort of annoying in the earlier matches where you're just "okay let's get on with the background for this character we're never gonna see again".

Other than that, I appreciated greatly the effort to show the effort by all characters and to have the skill of everyone developing. Especially what stuck a chord with me is how Hinata had to take one step backwards to take a forwards one (with the
open-eyes new quick thingy
), which is something that happens a lot in sports. The whole training camp in the second season was great.
I also appreciated being surprised at
them losing in the first season
, I just figured they'd go a bit further-- but I kinda thought this was going to be one of those anime where the characters switch around a bit rather than sticking to the same main crew. I thought that because some of the characters appeared rather mediocre, but rather than toss them to the side the series decided to develop them and give them new, but not extravagant strengths.

Now, do I wait for the fourth season or read the manga?

hampig

Never came back here after I finished the series, but I did like, 2 days after my last post.

Season 3 was amazing. I didn't realize it was only 10 episodes long, so when it ended my jaw was on the floor. It's amazing that a handful of characters who were relatively small for a majority of the time became more of a focus than Hinata for the whole season.

This show is probably in my top 3 for anime, I cannot wait for more. I don't remember the last time I cared about a show to keep up with it weekly as it came out, but that will be me with season 4.

Also, hearing about the death of the coach VA has me feeling pretty down. He had a hand in 3 series that have been very influential to me, so if I could, I'd recommend any of you with even a passing interest in grounded sci-fi check out Planetes. To me, it's the best sci-fi anime ever created, and my favorite anime by a long shot.

Permanently A

FUCK!

I just watched episode 4 of season 3. Tsukishima is SO FUCKING COOOOOOOOL. He's definitely far and away my favorite character now.

Yonafunu

My favorite Karasuno player usually rotates between Tsukishima, Kageyama and Nishinoya.

Tsukki and Kageyama for their continued great character development, and Noya because he's SO FUCKING HYPE during matches.

mdubs

Banned
I read vol 8 of the manga today which is the finale of the first Karasuno - Aoba Johsai match. Still so good - I think that the "eat and grow strong" aftermath is one of the best things I've seen and it made me tear up in print form just as it did during the anime. Pick up the volume if you can!

Yonafunu

BRO I can't stop watching this scene. All that character development over the past 2 seasons, little by little, he finally made it. I started screaming when he did. SO FUCKING GOOD.

Tsukishima's entire development and how it's handled is my favorite thing in Haikyuu, and the buildup to that one scene (or panel in the manga) when he lets it all out is just amazing. It's also an interesting moment of adaptation from the anime; in the manga he doesn't actually scream, it's a very passionate fistpump instead:

I'm still not sure which I prefer, the manga's silent internal exaltation or the anime's emotional explosion, but I do know that I was completely taken aback when he screamed. I thought I was ready, I thought I knew what was coming, and I was wrong.

That said, if you thought the buildup in the anime was something, imagine going through that tension on a weekly basis in the manga over the course of more than a year.
I don't think I've ever gone as crazy waiting for new chapters as during the Seijo and Shiratorizawa matches. One hell of a payoff though.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I finished the show a while ago (my post is on this page still), and while I liked it a lot I thought "I ain't gonna be rewatching this". I thought, hey, it can get tedious and you already know all the outcomes, etc.-- but I did rewatch season 2/3 (most of the episodes anyway, I got sick again) and it holds up pretty well.

Permanently A

Man, I think Tsukki might be one of my top 5 favorite characters EVER.

Season 1 - fuck off

Season 2 - alright I guess

Season 3 -

etank_gaming-tsukishima_celebration_anime.gif

There's only 10 episodes in S3? I finally caught up.

I was waiting for Tsukki to come out of his shell and contribute to the team in a major way. It was so good. Seriously, Haikyuu has so many fun and loveable characters. I love Karasuno's 3rd years. Daichi is the fucking backbone of the team. He's so fucking solid. I fucking love how fiery Ryu is and Nishinoya is so fucking clutch with the receives.

Never came back here after I finished the series, but I did like, 2 days after my last post.

Season 3 was amazing. I didn't realize it was only 10 episodes long, so when it ended my jaw was on the floor. It's amazing that a handful of characters who were relatively small for a majority of the time became more of a focus than Hinata for the whole season.

This show is probably in my top 3 for anime, I cannot wait for more. I don't remember the last time I cared about a show to keep up with it weekly as it came out, but that will be me with season 4.

Also, hearing about the death of the coach VA has me feeling pretty down. He had a hand in 3 series that have been very influential to me, so if I could, I'd recommend any of you with even a passing interest in grounded sci-fi check out Planetes. To me, it's the best sci-fi anime ever created, and my favorite anime by a long shot.

Damn, Ukai. He was great.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Shame about Ukai's VA, loved him in Planetes and here. Thought he was just sick of something. I hope the new one holds up (he doesn't from what I've heard thus far but it's very little).

Incidentally, I'm just finishing up a week's training camp of sorts and it made me remember the second season. I was really glad Haikyuu showed that part of training-- how you have to be courageous and try new things in your game even though you might fail (and lose) at first. In training, anyway.

More importantly, it also showcased (with Hinata and the super-quick thing in the training camp) something that I've seen a lot myself (and I'm sure occurs to most people who compete at some point) but I've never seen in any other show-- having to take a step back to take a few steps forward.
This was in the show with Hinata passing on his super-quick that worked despite it making them lose training matches. He saw that he was not as good without it but he didn't stop and go back to it, and trained harder to find a better way.
I think it did a good job of showing that, and the frustration that comes with suddenly feeling slow/weak/whatever when you're trying to fix something more inherent.

This getting bumped reminded me that I finally got my hands on the season 3 soundtrack. The first track is Tanaka's last line ("Volleyball is a sport where you're always looking up!"). Then it goes into The Battle of Concepts after that. Really cool how they did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom