• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haikyuu!! Third Season |OT| Karasuno vs Shiratorizawa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to watching episodes 9 &10.

Good god almighty, I need more! NOW! I didn't think anything would top that final set against Aoba Johsai in season 2, but episode 10's did it!

Haikyuu!! is a ten out of ten all three seasons. This is easily the best shounen series of the last few years.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
About how behind is the anime compared to the manga at this point? This ten episode season shit is infuriating. I need more now.

vaporeon

Recently finished ep 10 of Season 3, and holy shit the tears!!! This was truly Tsukishima's season.
I'm not a sports anime person (and hardly an anime person, really), but Haikyuu is truly something else. I admit it took me the 2nd season to get hooked on it, but when it did, it grabbed me hard. I'll probably have to rewatch the first season again.
God, Furudate's art style translates extremely well into animation. I already cannot wait for Season 4 ;__;

xezuru

Could the training camp possible mean that Kageyama will join another team? It'd kinda be cool to seem him go, and then that forces Hinata and the rest of the team to get better.

It's kind of glossed over in the episode but the training camp is for potential talent for the full-on Japanese youth national volleyball team. Olympics Volleyball? Something like that.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Could the training camp possible mean that Kageyama will join another team? It'd kinda be cool to seem him go, and then that forces Hinata and the rest of the team to get better.

It's the national youth team, meaning international competition stuff. You see similar youth national teams for other sports like soccer and ice hockey.

Ushijima is on the national team, so there would be a chance Kageyama has to team up with him or go against him again (or even both!) in the camp practices.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The quality of this show is phenomenal, week after week.

Its really telling how this show is basically doing exactly what every sports show does, like DAYS or Ace of Diamond (two generations of high schoolers trying to make it to nationals) yet they make it feel fresh, exciting and emotional. Really a tribute to the characters and how well suited Volleyball is for this kind of show.

Best anime of the last 5 years or so for me. Not one bad episode.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
tumblr_ohxqxl_IDdb1vp88ojo5_540.gif

tumblr_ohxqxl_IDdb1vp88ojo2_540.gif

Some anime to manga comparison gifs, more on this page.
I was spoiled on that top image with zero context before the season started, so I was under the impression that Karasuno was going to lose the entire time. My stomach was doing twirls, waiting for the unfortunate block or someone's legs giving out... Especially like episode 9 ended.

However, I was pleasantly surprised. I was cheering and yelling my lungs out when I realized that Karasuno was about to win it for real. An anime that spends 10 episodes on 1 match and it was incredible. Again, RIP the coach's VA, would've loved to see him finish out the season when it was so close.

Alas, amazing. Cannot wait until the next season, whenever it may be. One of the few shows that's SO GOOD, that I will ignore the manga in favor of staying pristine on the story.

Natural

Finally got around to watching episodes 9 &10.

Good god almighty, I need more! NOW! I didn't think anything would top that final set against Aoba Johsai in season 2, but episode 10's did it!

Haikyuu!! is a ten out of ten all three seasons. This is easily the best shounen series of the last few years.

100% agree - it's up there as one of my favorite series.

Dee Dee

Is that a good price
kunk-rum.gif

For someone like me who can not find them at a reasonable price in Europe, yes, this a good price, even when essentially paying double because of shipping. No store I know of stocks them here and I visited both comic and japanese merch stores en masse in my area without luck.
So thanks for posting this!

If anyone wants an Akaashi pocket mirror that I got from a gatcha machine, send me a PN - I tried very hard to get Bokuto but ran out of coins. :/

shira

I was spoiled on that top image with zero context before the season started, so I was under the impression that Karasuno was going to lose the entire time.

Same. If everything happens in this 1st year I guess the 2nd year will be kinda weird - if there is one.

Not sure how interesting it will be if they already accomplished everything. I guess that's up to the writer.

Mortemis

Banned
I'mma cry like crazy if/when Suga, Daichi, and Asahi leave. :(

Can't say I haven't thought of Hinata and Kageyama as 2nd years. I hope Karasuno gets a shit ton of 1st years, gotta have an even better cheering bench! lol

vanty

I've watched some real volleyball after marathoning Haikyuu in the past month or so and it isn't nearly as exciting ahah. No one can do any Kageyama stuff to be sure.

blakep267

I've watched some real volleyball after marathoning Haikyuu in the past month or so and it isn't nearly as exciting ahah. No one can do any Kageyama stuff to be sure.
Also there are more faults on serves in real volleyball. Every serve in haikyuu goes over. But I did see a quick attack in the olympics and it did look pretty dope

mdubs

Banned
Also there are more faults on serves in real volleyball. Every serve in haikyuu goes over. But I did see a quick attack in the olympics and it did look pretty dope

Ya boy Ushiwaka gonna get 100 practice serves tho after missing his serve.

shira

Hinata's knees would be swollen or broken.

He's basically run dunking 100-200x a day

blakep267

Huh? Theres been times where peoplenin haikyuu had the ball hit the net without going over.
It happens sometimes but it happens way more in actual volleyball. Like there were maybe 1-2 points scored off faults in this championship match. That's crazy with the amount of jump serves that are being done especially by high school kids. Realistically you'd see more balls go out and hit the net than 1-2 in a match

Also there's no way Ushijima would've hit 40+ spikes. He'd be dead on the floor after playing like that

hampig

I started Haikyuu like a year ago, and am just now getting through the first season and just wanted to express how freaking awesome I think this show is. The episode that cemented it as truly something special was episode 15.

The entire show up until this point was basically following the team of Karasuno and more specifically Hinata as they worked to try and overcome obstacles to improve and become a formidable school once again. Then this episode hits, I'm expecting a triumphant victory after a hard fought match, but they switch it up on you.

The episode is from the perspective of the other team as they're getting destroyed, and it's heartbreaking. The team ranged from demoralized, to resigned, to die hard hopeful, the whole struggle just felt too real. It was truly powerful, and something I can't remember ever seeing in another show.

I just finished the Dateko episode in the break room at work and even now I feel like I'm fighting back tears thinking about the last half of that episode. I've heard the show gets even better, and that's really hard to imagine for me. So good.

shira

I started this show like a year ago, and am just now getting through the first season and just wanted to express how freaking awesome I think this show is. The episode that cemented it as truly something special was episode 15.

The entire show up until this point was basically following the team of Karasuno and more specifically Hinata as they worked to try and overcome obstacles to improve and become a formidable school once again. Then this episode hits, I'm expecting a triumphant victory after a hard fought match, but they switch it up on you.

The episode is from the perspective of the other team as they're getting destroyed, and it's heartbreaking. The team ranged from demoralized, to resigned, to die hard hopeful, the whole struggle just felt too real. It was truly powerful, and something I can't remember ever seeing in another show.

I just finished the Dateko episode in the break room at work and even now I feel like I'm fighting back tears thinking about the last half of that episode. I've heard the show gets even better, and that's really hard to imagine for me. So good.

S01E15 is one of the best Asahi getting nailed with arrows is the best.

TheFlow

Banned
I started Haikyuu like a year ago, and am just now getting through the first season and just wanted to express how freaking awesome I think this show is. The episode that cemented it as truly something special was episode 15.

welp get ready to cry,

Time for another full rewatch

I think I rewatched episode 1 like 10 times. Such a beautiful first episode. Makes you like and cheer for Hinata from the get go. I have to hold back my tears when Hinata confronts kageyama after their match.

Loving it. I think the last time a sports anime got me this hooked was the first half of Kuroko No Basket. I like the fact this team doesn't win every time as well, which made all the Ls they took in the first season feel oh so good in the second half of s2 and definitely s3. I've seen a decent amount of sports manga/anime, so I could imagine the last two games going as they did.

This series definitely has the potential to hit the pantheon of GOAT level sports manga/anime with Slam Dunk, Major!, and Hajime No Ippo.

Never cared for Tsuki much in season 1, dug him more in s2 and he became one of my favorite characters in s3. My God, what an amazing development for him. I knew he would have an epic moment foreshadowed at the training when that other dude said he would love it when he won. When it finally happened with the block and the yell afterwards, it was fucking EPIC! It's kinda crazy because right now 3/4 1st years look like the 3 best players in the team, though the mangaka does an exceptional job of making many of these players be actually useful. Tsuki's rise episode is one of my favorites in the entire series, fucking brilliant!

I only hope the series keeps it up at the high it's been so far. Music is legit lit, can't believe an elevator sounding music works so well. My favorite is ending 4 song from the opener/endings. Animation is also fucking amazing. This is how you adapt a manga. TEN out of TEN so far, exceptional job to the mangaka & the entire animation studio! Bravo! My only hope is to keep up the quality going forward! Prost.

hampig

Keep us posted! I love reading new impressions!

Man, I gotta say it feels so good to see Haikyuu get more popular. It's about time.

Made it to episode 21, Sugawara called to sub in for Tobio. I'm amazed with how well they define the characters and play with their personalities. The way The Great King plays off Tobio and the team's weaknesses is just amazing in terms of how writing. The characters are all so consistent, and the drama feels so naturally drawn out of them in the matches.

I like that even though Tobio is this genius, and Hinata has that crazy speed, they always show the opposition getting used to them, and finding ways to counter them that make sense. It reminds me of very early Naruto, the drama is earned and the rules are consistant.

Yonafunu

Made it to episode 21, Sugawara called to sub in for Tobio. I'm amazed with how well they define the characters and play with their personalities. The way The Great King plays off Tobio and the team's weaknesses is just amazing in terms of how writing. The characters are all so consistent, and the drama feels so naturally drawn out of them in the matches.

I like that even though Tobio is this genius, and Hinata has that crazy speed, they always show the opposition getting used to them, and finding ways to counter them that make sense. It reminds me of very early Naruto, the drama is earned and the rules are consistant.

The characters are really what make the series, imo. The way they're handeled in the long run is great.

Keep 'em coming!

mdubs

Banned
Haikyu has the distinction of being robbed for anime of the year from Crunchyroll two times in the same award season

CR is stupid for excluding it. Probably the best series this year by a mile.

That said, I wasnt really impressed by the finale of this match. Everything leading up to it was great but I guess it was really hard to top the finale of the Aoba Johsai match. Felt less "epic" if that makes sense.

blakep267

Haikyu has the distinction of being robbed for anime of the year from Crunchyroll two times in the same award season
It's not a sexy pick. What I mean by that is it's a great show but not something that is gonna get referenced on Facebook or tumblrs etc. one punch man, kabaneri is the kinda stuff that more people would know about( I'm not trying to be snooty or anything btw. But those other shows are stuff that my casual anime friends would watch and know about and not a volleyball anime)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom