• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haikyuu!! Third Season |OT| Karasuno vs Shiratorizawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase17

Awesome season. Didn't surpass last season's final match for me, but it was still great. Loved the scene with Tsuki shook in the restroom.

Interesting thing to end on. I'm guessing the 4th season will be a ways away though:(

Going to start the manga soon. Hopefully the english release gets to at least this point soonish.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I cried ;_;

What a beautiful season finale, fuck.

Can't wait until whenever next season hits.

KarasuEXE

HOLY SHIT.

That's how you do a finale. Amazing, I was crying at the end of the match too hahaha

Thinking about picking up the manga....

mdubs

Banned
I haven't so I'll check it out. Does it have a good soundtrack?

Yup! It's got some good tracks there, and the story is great. I think (imo) it's the only thing that sort of hits on the same beats that Haikyu!! does in terms of the value of working hard and scraping forward, and it also does the same nice job of characterizing all of the opponents

HOLY SHIT.

That's how you do a finale. Amazing, I was crying at the end of the match too hahaha

Thinking about picking up the manga....

Please do! I shill for it a lot, but I really want it to do well especially since Viz is doing an accelerated monthly release schedule to catch up. Sports series are a pretty big risk in English and don't typically sell very well, so the support from people who love the series really counts in this case. Plus reading the manga is a fantastic experience as well, as I'm sure everyone else who is reading it can also attest to.

Mortemis

Banned
brehs. BREHS. I cried, like multiple times. That was amazing. Then they hype up Nekoma vs Fukurodai, man that'll be awesome af

Hinata always gotta have the last spike, I love it tho. Incredible ending, but yeah the episode ending was weird and didn't feel like the season was ending. Oh well, manga time.

So, is there anything out there that will fill the void until Haikyuu returns?
If you want something similar to haikyu I greatly recommend Big windup!
742617168826_anime-big-windup-season-2-dvd-primary.jpg
the two anime feel very similar. I'm sure you would like it.

Puruzi

Banned
Haven't watched the episode yet(fucking work), but on Baby Steps, it seems like everyone that likes it also likes Haikyuu. Makes me want to watch it, however, one of the reasons I really love watching Haikyuu is the animation. Does Baby Steps have good animation?

mdubs

Banned
Haven't watched the episode yet(fucking work), but on Baby Steps, it seems like everyone that likes it also likes Haikyuu. Makes me want to watch it, however, one of the reasons I really love watching Haikyuu is the animation. Does Baby Steps have good animation?

It's definitely lower budget so don't go into it expecting it to look as good as Haikyu!! does, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

TWILT

Banned
Fuck, that last episode gave me some major feels; legit wanted to cry at the end. ;_; What an amazing finale. Definitely wanna get into the manga now...!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

My favorite sports anime as well, though Haikyuu's a close second now.

The whiny protagonist may get on people's nerves though considering how long it takes for him to get his shit somewhat together.

Talents

Banned
My favorite sports anime as well, though Haikyuu's a close second now.

The whiny protagonist may get on people's nerves though considering how long it takes for him to get his shit somewhat together.

I'm guessing it's a baseball anime from its cover. How does it hold up to Diamond No Ace?

Godlike, almost teared up with the scene with the 3 third years' happy tears. Can't wait for what's to come.

MVP: definitely Tsukishima.

Ōfuri isn't anything like Haikyu lol.

The main character is utterly insufferable (yes, Xia, he sucks, I'm sorry).

As far as stuff that just came out, Days! sucks but it's gay as hell so I like it. All Out!!! has been enjoyable, it's about Rugby and all the characters are jacked as all high hell. It's pretty okay.

I mean, most good sports anime is older stuff anyway, if you haven't, Watch Slam Dunk.

Fridays will never be the same for me. Literary jet home from work every Friday and watch the new episode of Hakyuu!!! This season was amazing, even at 10 episodes. Hopefully the wait is not too long for the next season.

mdubs

Banned
Fridays will never be the same for me. Literary jet home from work every Friday and watch the new episode of Hakyuu!!! This season was amazing, even at 10 episodes. Hopefully the wait is not too long for the next season.
My prediction is Spring 2018 for the next season if they decide to go two cour

duckroll

That was a decent end to a good season which was better than I expected. I felt great for them when they won. But in the end beating Shirotorizawa was something they just needed to do. It still didn't have the emotional highs of beating Aoba Josai. The future match against Nekoma should be super amazing.

Haikyu continues to be really entertaining and well directed. I never thought i would care for a long sports shounen show like this but 3 seasons later and I'm still in love with it.

I couldn't really have asked for anything more from this final episode, not going to spoil myself by reading the manga but I'm really looking forward to the next season. (whenever that happens)

shira

Why would they need donations?

Doesn't the Japanese High School Athletic Department pay for their expenses?

Wiseblade

You all should move on to the manga. The anime has now come really close to the manga and reached a good point to take a break, so I wouldn't expect a season 5 until 2018. It'd give a wide enough margin to avoid another situation like this one.
I couldn't really have asked for anything more from this final episode, not going to spoil myself by reading the manga but I'm really looking forward to the next season. (whenever that happens)
What world are we living in where reading the source material counts as a spoiler?

shira

What world are we living in where reading the source material counts as a spoiler?

I think people in the West associate color drawings as comic books and B&W drawings as newspaper comics.
I know some friends who are daijobu with anime, but manga is ecchi

It's not spoiler, it's just manga is not for everyone

Yonafunu

Still kinda baffled they ended the season there. I think just a Nekoma vs Fukurodani tease would have been better than the extra stuff with the training camp tease. This was not a season 3 finale ending, it's a season 4 episode 1 ending.

TheFlow

Banned
Still kinda baffled they ended the season there. I think just a Nekoma vs Fukurodani tease would have been better than the extra stuff with the training camp tease. This was not a season 3 finale ending, it's a season 4 episode 1 ending.

That tease was so fucking random. I am going to be upset if they skip the Nekoma vs Fukurodani match.

Ōfuri isn't anything like Haikyu lol.

The main character is utterly insufferable (yes, Xia, he sucks, I'm sorry).

As far as stuff that just came out, Days! sucks but it's gay as hell so I like it. All Out!!! has been enjoyable, it's about Rugby and all the characters are jacked as all high hell. It's pretty okay.

I mean, most good sports anime is older stuff anyway, if you haven't, Watch Slam Dunk.
Opinions I guess, since imo Big windup! Is one the best sports anime.

But out of all the sports anime out there, that I watched at least, they feel the most similar. The way the team interact, the relationship between the two mains and how Abe/Kageyama is vital at the start for Mihashi/Hinata's talent to actually be noticed at first.

Yea they are super similar.

Gvitor

They're not going to skip those matches and I really don't see they doing short OVA runs to cover them.

They'll likely be at the start of season 4, which will probably run 24-25 episodes once again (if they only do 1 cour, it will barely have any Karasuno time).

There are simply some shows where I've gotten to know them through watching their anime versions and reading the manga then would take away some of the enjoyment from watching new episodes each week because I know what's going to happen already.

It's hardly a new thing, or did you miss out on the whole ongoing Game of Thrones books vs. Game of Thrones tv series affair?

mdubs

Banned
I think that the first half was excellent in terms of wrapping up the match and doing justice to the manga. I think that the second leg of the episode could have been structured a little bit better, I would have put in
Ushiwaka's wrap up speech to Shiratorizawa
and taken out Kageyama getting invited to the training camp to replace with the Fukorodani/Nekoma tease after the credits

blakep267

That was a decent end to a good season which was better than I expected. I felt great for them when they won. But in the end beating Shirotorizawa was something they just needed to do. It still didn't have the emotional highs of beating Aoba Josai. The future match against Nekoma should be super amazing.

Haikyu continues to be really entertaining and well directed. I never thought i would care for a long sports shounen show like this but 3 seasons later and I'm still in love with it.
Yeah. Shiratorizawa wAs fine and all but you just can't beat best character Oikawa as an antagonist. That match was the highlight for me. More so than this one

Yeah, Shiratorizawa was never going to be as exciting a match simply because they were barely set up as rivals before this season, compared to Aoba Johsai who were set up for two seasons before Karasuno won against them. Particularly since Karasuno lost to them at the end of the first season, the end of the second season was extremely cathartic. Still, I was impressed by how well the anime team continues to handle the adaptation.

Could the training camp possible mean that Kageyama will join another team? It'd kinda be cool to seem him go, and then that forces Hinata and the rest of the team to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom