• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hajime Tabata interview on FFXV in Famitsu

Ferr986

Because I like the idea of creating a char and going around doing stuff in the open world, like say FFXIV or any open world rpg that lets you customize your own character. It's just some post game stuff. Don't see why it's so bad to add extra things to do.

True Fire

"It's too late"

Ok bye lol. FF games are meant to be replayable and Tabata gets mad props for working towards making XV as replayable as all the rest.

XIII could have used post launch love too.

I really hope they expand on the darkness. It makes no fucking sense. "Oh the days are getting longer... Herp derp the sun is gone!" "Wait, what?"

Also, add back in that Shiva area.

Spoiler for people who haven't played it;

World of ruin - Noctis gone 10 years - tiny world destroyed.

Immediately find your friends and carry on like you've just popped to the shops

All of that sounds good. I wonder if adding it throughout the year oppose to waiting and doing an *international* edition or something is better. I will happily take all those things he discuss though.

The only thing that gives me pause is limited time stuff. I was thinking about this already in relation to the carnival. That fits well with FFXIV in my mind, but as an offline single player rpg that should hopefully still sell 5 years from now, 10 years from now and so on, I don't know if I like somethings being added, to then go away. I might be showing my age with that attitude though.

Strings

"It's too late"

Ok bye lol. FF games are meant to be replayable and Tabata gets mad props for working towards making XV as replayable as all the rest.

Huh? Like, they're known for generous endgame content (which this has), but replay-ability? Maybe in the sense they were good enough to bother replaying? Otherwise I have no clue what you're talking about.

True Fire

All of that sounds good. I wonder if adding it throughout the year oppose to waiting and doing an *international* edition or something is better. I will happily take all those things he discuss though.

The only thing that gives me pause is limited time stuff. I was thinking about this already in relation to the carnival. That fits well with FFXIV in my mind, but as an offline single player rpg that should hopefully still sell 5 years from now, 10 years from now and so on, I don't know if I like somethings being added, to then go away. I might be showing my age with that attitude though.

The limited time stuff is designed to keep people playing. It's clever.

Hunts are harmless enough and people who ""^hate-fucked"" their way to a Platinum aren't going to care while people who actually do Hunts will love it

Right, but as someone that will realistically only play this game once in my lifetime, would it not make sense to wait for the truly definitive edition?

I'd say yes.

If I could rewind my time with it i'd wait for a definitive edition. It's not like I hated it because it was better than staring at my own hands for 55 hours but it felt unfinished.

Hunts are harmless enough and people who ""^hate-fucked"" their way to a Platinum aren't going to care while people who actually do Hunts will love it

I love this haha.

kennyamr

Right, but as someone that will realistically only play this game once in my lifetime, would it not make sense to wait for the truly definitive edition?

In that sense it's best to wait because the prices will be lower after they release everything they have plan.

So yea, as long as you don't skip it, yea sure, it will definitely be a better game a few months from now.

Pejo

I'll buy all of this. I really enjoyed my time with FFXV way more than I was expecting to.

Can't wait to have
Cor and Ariana
permanently(?) in my party.

VariantX

"It's too late"

It did. Unfortunately, it was in the form of two sequels...

Bad jokes aside, XIII did open up another level of the skill/stat tree and a bunch of hunts were still available to do.

Ferr986

I'll buy all of this. I really enjoyed my time with FFXV way more than I was expecting to.

Can't wait to have
Cor and Ariana
permanently(?) in my party.

But
you can glitch Aranea and have her permanently already :p

Geg

Ehhh, I'd really rather they just work on the story patches + DLC episodes and end it there. I'm not sure what purpose the avatar stuff is supposed to have, unless it's only for the multiplayer.

Huh? Like, they're known for generous endgame content (which this has), but replay-ability? Maybe in the sense they were good enough to bother replaying? Otherwise I have no clue what you're talking about.
I mean, personally I always play through FF games multiple times. Hell, I've already replayed FFXV in new game+ once.

I can already imagine some people modifying the game so that Gladio, Ignis, and Prompto get replaced with Aranea, Iris, and Luna
/Cindy
as party members.
Hmm...how many times have I replayed FFIV??? Throughout the multiple releases....hmm...A LOT. Same with I and VII.

Damn, and just read the bit about him wanting to do VR stuff too??

Tabata needs whatever the game design equivalent of an editor is. Someone to just say "buddy, you have ten things on this list, we're going to do four. pick which ones"

It's weird to me that they're trying to build this into this ongoing experience with multiplayer too. You already have a game (FF XIV) that is meant to fill that gap.

Hmmmmm

The limited time stuff is designed to keep people playing. It's clever.

Nono, I do totally understand the idea behind it. Limited time means you either don't trade it in, or you go buy it now oppose to waiting. I don't misunderstand the intention haha. I'm just not sure it works for the style of game it is, and the reasons it would theoretically continue to sell into the future. I am 100% for adding content to keep people playing, it's just the limited nature of it. What if the carnival is really awesome, then when I replay in years time, it's gone kind of thing. I don't know. I did caveat that this might just be me clashing with modern day gaming realities, and I appreciate it probably won't end up being super meaningful content I'll miss in the future. I do understand the clever business end of it though.

Meowster

I loved my time with the game but I'm going to take a break while I wait for the patches and DLC to add up. It'll make for a nice experience when it's all done, I feel.

ZeroX03

Banned

In YOUR opinion.

Plus 3/4 of NeoGAF too.

opinion.gif

Ferr986

I can already imagine some people modifying the game so that Gladio, Ignis, and Prompto get replaced with Aranea, Iris, and Luna
/Cindy
as party members.

Hmm...how many times have I replayed FFIV??? Throughout the multiple releases....hmm...A LOT. Same with I and VII.

I hope they offer 4 char teams. I want all the bros+1 guest
basically Aranea and sometimes Cor.

Hystzen

The online multiplayer going to die faster then Metal Gear V: MGO put effort into other bits including opening map during final chapter

Ultimadrago

I'd say yes.

If I could rewind my time with it i'd wait for a definitive edition. It's not like I hated it because it was better than staring at my own hands for 55 hours but it felt unfinished.

I played the game for an even longer amount of time than you and essentially came to the same conclusion. Don't believe anyone saying because you played something for a "long time" you secretly loved it.

It's a weird, disingenuous defensive maneuver usually utilized by hurt fans.

Tyaren

Can they please drop the multiplayer and avatar insanity (there's FFXIV for that) to concentrate on the one thing that actually counts? Fixing the single player experience! :( The latter part of the game is very obviously gutted and unfinished.

I also had hoped the additional DLC episodes could be incorporated into the plothole riddled story of the game...but no, it seems they are hell-bent on keeping that separate.

Sagely

So exciting! I adored this game, still playing post-game and would gladly return to check out additional content. I'll for sure do an NG+ but being able to add
Cor or Aranea
to the team for special hunts, events or just arsing around would keep me coming back to the open world too.

~Cross~

As far as I remember the precursor for Luminous is FFXIVs engine and the engine team is going to go back into working on FFXIV for a while to enhance the client for Stormblood and the transfer to ps4/pc as baseline without having to worry about the ps3 client anymore.

Any work on character creation could probably benefit SEs other online titles or at the very least FFXIV. We also know that the engine itself deals well with online systems, being designed to substitute crystal tools which was a fucking nightmare to deal with online (and offline too).

Having easy to use character creation tools isn't just a thing for the person playing the game either. If they have the tools to easily create distinct looking characters then they can implement more unique characters to the game without increasing development time a whole lot. Just about every unique character in FFXIV can be recreated on its character creator with only a few exceptions.

Can they please drop the multiplayer and avatar insanity (there's FFXIV for that) to concentrate on the one thing that actually counts? Fixing the single player experience! :( The latter part of the game is very obviously gutted and unfinished.
Why not both?

Besides, you've already pushed yourself...to the brink of death.

Blizzje

Still no information about the PS4 pro patch?

Nothing. If they don't announce anything by the next Active Time Report, I don't think they will support the game in terms of optimizations. Sadly, the high mode may always have the frame pacing issues :(

I played the game for an even longer amount of time than you and essentially came to the same conclusion. Don't believe anyone saying because you played something for a "long time" you secretly loved it.

It's a weird, disingenuous defensive maneuver usually utilized by hurt fans.

If you are like me;
I played it for the first two chapters - did all the side missions possible - got bored of the landscape
Got to chap 3 - spend 30 hours or so doing every side mission possible
Whacked the story up to chap 8 in about 2 hours
Did the remaining side missions
Completed the rest of the story
Lol one or two trophies left for platinum - why not?

Did I hate it? no.
Did I enjoy it? At times - yes alot to begin with
Did I get bored of it? Yes, by the end it was just a chore, waiting for it to end
Would I play it again? No

they need to fix ng+ to where enemies scale because who wants to replay just for the story again

Well, to be honest, I don't mind it. I always thought NG+ was to redo the game with an added benefit being being stronger. If I wanted to start a game over where I was put at a disadvantage regarding enemies being of higher level than myself, I'd just do "New Game" (minus the "+"), which I DO do sometimes. No shame in that.

Phatcorns

If you're on the fence about finishing the game I say don't wait. The game is fantastic and the ending ultimately left me very satisfied, any changes they make probably won't affect my opinion of the game much.

I will say I'll probably wait to do my new game plus in Japanese until they have the patches just so I can see what's different.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, I put this game on the backburner for now.

I got up to Chapter 6. I'll wait for a mega patch. Nothing particularly wrong with the game, it's just I don't see myself replaying this game for another 3-4 years. So screw it, I'll wait a few months and play with some patches.

Geg

Gutted yes, unfinished no. MGSV is an example of a game where the latter part was unfinished.

MilkBeard

"It's too late"

Yup. History shows that people replay Final Fantasy games...a lot. So continuing to improve and add to the game will make it play better in the future. I have no problem with it.

Also, Final Fantasy XV's world is big, so a lot of things can be done within it. Multiplayer aspect as well as extra future hunts will be cool.

Ouroboros

So should I just not play this game for another year or so?

I mean, I already waited 10.

I played it and beat it. I wanted that "original release" experience. It will be fun to go back and play it again with all the patches and fixes and enhancements and the
Lightning cameo

MilkBeard

You must not have grown up playing Final Fantasy games. People replay them every year, or at least multiple times in their lifetime.

I've played FF VI countless times, as well as FF VII. I've played through and tried to beat VIII numerous times, but I always stop. I've played through XII once, and I plan to do it again with the remaster. I played through X twice, because of the remaster.

Playing through XV, I already know I'll play through a second time down the road when more of this content drops. It's a fun game to play. I'm not going to max everything now, because I don't want to be sick of the game by the time that the new content drops.

If you're on the fence about finishing the game I say don't wait. The game is fantastic and the ending ultimately left me very satisfied, any changes they make probably won't affect my opinion of the game much.

I will say I'll probably wait to do my new game plus in Japanese until they have the patches just so I can see what's different.

I agree with this. The game is really fun if you just play casually through (don't bother trying to max all the hunts and sidequests, unless you really like it). It's a fun experience as is.

Arkeband

Banned
Time-limited DLC hunts...

It'd be cool if they actually did something new with them but I expect to hold some O and not worry about status effects.

I'm having a really hard time understanding why it's "bad" or "too little too late". Post launch support can only be a great thing, no?

I'm having a really hard time understanding why it's "bad" or "too little too late". Post launch support can only be a great thing, no?

Some of it, sure. As mentioned above, I'll replay at some point so enhancing the main story is fine.

However, adding multiplayer that will likely have little to no player base within a couple months of its addition feels like time potentially wasted when they could either do more main story fixing or just get on with the next thing (FF XVI or w/e else). And the example above about MGS V is a good one.

This interview reveals tabata wants to add even more stuff, while the stuff already on the list (better pro support) isn't even being addressed.

Jeels

Hopefully they can finalize the additional cutscenes soon because I stopped playing at Chapter 3....I don't want to have to play it twice lol. So I am waiting and it's brutal...

Zedark

In itself, post launch support is great, but you should be a distinction when it is additional content that was actually separable from the main game (like the expansions for the Witcher 3) and content that feels like it needed to be there in the game itself, as people are saying with regards to the reworking of scenes that Tabata is planning. It is a fine line, and I personally think the troubled development of this game is a decent reason to tune it after launch, for which you need to watch out: releasing a game with a story that is obviously lacking some of its beats and fixing it after launch should not be a standard, so there is something to say against the post launch support Tabata is giving us.

Top Bottom