• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Details And Concept Art Trailer

DennisK4 said:
Halo is the only reason I bought a 360 and Halo 4 is why I am holding on to it.

Finest console FPS series the world has ever known.
srp59le6u.gif

wwm0nkey

One reason I like the change in music is that while the original halo score was great it would have had some similarity with it, this is something new and something different to get that sense of mystery and wonder back we need new music and this music did a good job of getting the sense of mystery across.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This news has me a little excited. I had zero hype when they first announced the game. I'm still not incredibly excited, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I'm liking the new art quite a bit. The staff the have working on this game sounds pretty stellar.

Vire

[Nintex] said:
I found the list of 343i employees various GAF members compiled in the last thread:
Wow that's pretty impressive....

Let's hope it all comes together for something special.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
3 brought the AI Scarab, that alone is a greater leap then anything H2 added.

Also, SP scoring, 4 player CO-OP, forge, Replay mode, gadgets(bubble shield ect.)

Yeah but the Game-play mechanics are almost the same.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
"A lot of what this trilogy is going to focus on is exploring the character of Master Chief and what it means to bring him back, and really getting a little bit closer to that character than we've ever experienced before in any of the past games. There's a lot of depth to John that exists primarily in a lot of the other fiction we felt we wanted to explore more deeply and lay a journey for him that would transform and evolve him as a character and a man."

Halo: Other M

Hurmun

Neo Member
Jack Scofield said:
What personality? He's a faceless, characterless empty vessel who occasionally spouts one-liners.

They mentioned in the PAX panel that most players don't know anything about Master Chief unless you read the books which go into great depth.

With this game they're trying to fix that.

Tunavi

Banned
Bungie was getting very sick of Halo and their creativity grew very stale because of this. Cannot wait to see fresh new minds take over the series.

wwm0nkey

Tunavi said:
Bungie was getting very sick of Halo and their creativity grew very stale because of this. Cannot wait to see fresh new minds take over the series.
The best thing about this to is all the people working on the game are actually fans of the series which is always good :)

DennisK4 said:

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Were it not for Reach, my 360 would be obsolete.

Tunavi

Banned
There's no question that Xbox = Halo. It really is one of the most unique games out there.

Gears of War is the only other unique exclusive, but there has only been 2 Gears games.

MechaX

Hm.. I'm actually pretty relieved that Halo does seem to still be in good hands. After 6 games with the exact same feel, I'm hoping for the new team to inject some freshness into the series.

Khezu

343 is making there own engine for halo 4 and not just piggy backing bungies tech right? Logically they probably are since the team was formed awhile ago and the people they hired, but have they come out and confirmed it?

The reach engine was nice, but it felt like the fantastic art direction was pulling most of the weight, also the slowdown was terrible in some parts, even in multiplayer on some of the bigger maps.

Khezu said:
343 is making there own engine for halo 4 and not just piggy backing bungies tech right? Logically they probably are since the team was formed awhile ago and the people they hired, but have they come out and confirmed it?
Pretty sure there was a news story about Bungie handing the Reach engine over to 343 and it not being used by them.

Tunavi said:
Gears of War is the only other unique exclusive, but there has only been 2 Gears games.
Who owns that IP?
I sort of hope it falls between the cracks so MS is forced to invest in new AAA IP.

wwm0nkey

Khezu said:

The reach engine was nice, but it felt like the fantastic art direction was pulling most of the weight, also the slowdown was terrible in some parts, even in multiplayer on some of the bigger maps.
They are still using the base BLAM! engine I believe.

I've talked to Corrinne Yu a few times and she said there is one thing the engine is doing that no other "console" game has done before. Got me really hyped when she told me that lol

[Nintex]

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Who owns that IP?
I sort of hope it falls between the cracks so MS is forced to invest in new AAA IP.
MS hired a new head of core gaming or something like that just to try, create and produce new AAA IP's.

rdrr gnr

I've played about 1 hour of every Halo game before getting bored and moving on. I just don't get the appeal. But the concept art/music look excellent (no purple) for this, so my interest is piqued.

Vire

Posted in the other thread but seems more appropriate here:

I'm curious if Halo 4 will be run on Reach's engine or 343's own proprietary engine.

I really want to see the graphics this studio is capable of. Maybe handing it off to a fresh face can finally realize some visual differences.

I'm satisfied with Reach's look, but I know it could be pushed a bit further. If the game captures the scope and beauty of the concept art, it would certainly be a sight to be seen...

MechaX

Jin34 said:
Not sure if want deeper interpersonal Chief/Cortana relationship, it was already painful in 3.

Well.. Despite Cortana's absence for most of 3, it was still mostly a professional relationship. You could essentially boil down their relationship as "Hey Keyes, I'm going to get Cortana back." "In the middle of flood infested High Charity? Good luck." and then "Hey Chief." "Hey Cortana. Let's kick ass."

DarkChild

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
They are still using the base BLAM! engine I believe.

I've talked to Corrinne Yu a few times and she said there is one thing the engine is doing that no other "console" game has done before. Got me really hyped when she told me that lol
Yea...I guess that "one thing" wasn't good enough for Bungie who are making a new one lol!
Non the less,Halo games are more about aesthetics than tech,but it would surely be nice to have something like CE3 behind it.

I like the music in that trailer. I hope the music in the final game has the same vibe.

Really can't wait to see this game in action.

Vire said:
I'm curious if Halo 4 will be run on Reach's engine or 343's own proprietary engine.
Pretty sure they're going to use their own engine. They didn't hire Corrinne Yu for nothing.

[Nintex]

DarkChild said:
Yea...I guess that "one thing" wasn't good enough for Bugnie who are making a new one lol!
Non the less,Halo games are more about aesthetics than tech,but it would surely be nice to have something like CE3 behind it.
CE3 hardly runs on Xbox 360 so that wouldn't make any sense to use for Halo 4.

FreeMufasa

I think 343 can do this. Delivering on a AAA Halo experience that is. I know it's not what a lot of people want but I hope they change a few things and not try to just make a Bungie Halo game.

Tunavi

Banned
MuseManMike said:
I've played about 1 hour of every Halo game before getting bored and moving on. I just don't get the appeal. But the concept art/music look excellent (no purple) for this, so my interest is piqued.
I guess it's one of those things where you either love it or you don't. I love Bungie's Halo series for the music, atmosphere, characters, and unique multiplayer among other things.

sp3000

DennisK4 said:

Halo is the last major franchise I know that isn't trying to copy some aspect of the CoD train or infuse itself with dudebro while trying to appeal to the frat boys and make itself more accessible in the name of sales. For that reason alone, I buy up all of the installments.

DarkChild

Banned
[Nintex] said:
CE3 hardly runs on Xbox 360 so that wouldn't make any sense to use for Halo 4.
CE3 is most optimized 360 engine bar none.Ok,Id Tech 5 and IW engine are probably optimized as they can be,but CE3 is optimized.

I chat with one of their lead engineers and bigger problem was artist who create assets that "fits" performance and still look great,than actual engine optimization. Their artist team still has some to learn about those things,but their engineers did their job perfectly.

I don't know how much people know about that but anyway...their SSAO on 360 takes 1ms,HDR+MB(object and camera),lens flare and bokeh dof all together take 5ms.That is entire post processing pipeline.Basically,when looking at their papers its absolutely amazing they run it at those speeds,pretty optimized.

Its also artists heaven since whatever you do in level updates in real time.No need to bake lights and shadows and wait for it to update...

wwm0nkey said:
The best thing about this to is all the people working on the game are actually fans of the series which is always good :)

The Simpsons had a massive drop-off in quality once fans became hired as writers.

It's not always a good thing.

wwm0nkey

Jack Scofield said:
The Simpsons had a massive drop-off in quality once fans became hired as writers.

It's not always a good thing.
A comedy and hard sci-fi are kind of different though lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jin34 said:
Not sure if want deeper interpersonal Chief/Cortana relationship, it was already painful in 3.
I think the important thing to keep in mind is that Bungie is no longer writing the series.

Jin34

Nirolak said:
I think the important thing to keep in mind is that Bungie is no longer writing the series.

That is true, Bungie created a sweet universe that they couldn't do justice to. Sort of reminds me of another guy...

I am really cringing at the idea of them trying to really develop Chief as a character. I've always loved that he's remained the strong, silent type for the most part and it was just his relationships with characters that are developed through his actions.

He should only ever speak what is strictly necessary outside of one-liners. I'm more worried because the HALO Anniversary terminal videos showcased some incredibly superfluous and needless bouts of dialogue. Even for 343 who loves to talk, his dialogue has always been pertinent to the matter at hand and - as such, his dialogue would always be succinct and clear when explaining something.

But then maybe I'll be wrong. :)

Ushojax said:
Halo: Other M

The reason Other M sucked was not because of Samus.

Anyway, everything looks great so far. Glad to hear that they want to expand gamplay instead of reselling Halo reach again. I'm also glad that the MC in the trailer is not final, he looked pretty bad, imo.

[Nintex] said:
A Corrine Yu engine with Forerunner art and the level design headed up by a former level designer from Retro Studios... we are not worthy!

No Xbox 360 logo in the trailer... hmmm

I would marry Corrine Yu if I ever had the chance to date her for longer then a year. Then would probably get divorced because my programming skills are nothing compared to hers.

Overall though, as always with Halo, I'm excited man!

Top Bottom