• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Details And Concept Art Trailer

I hope that when they say they want it to feel like "Halo" that they dont hold back a natural evolution of the series. Im open for changes where appropriate.

The game is sounding like it is in good hands and that concept art is amazing. Now comes the long wait to see something from the game.

Vire

Scullibundo said:
I am really cringing at the idea of them trying to really develop as a character. I've always loved that he's remained the strong, silent type for the most part and it was just his relationships with characters that are developed through his actions.

He should only ever speak what is strictly necessary outside of one-liners. I'm more worried because the HALO Anniversary terminal videos showcased some incredibly superfluous and needless bouts of dialogue. Even for 343 who loves to talk, his dialogue has always been pertinent to the matter at hand and - as such, his dialogue would always be succinct and clear when explaining something.

But then maybe I'll be wrong. :)
I'd much prefer them flesh out Cortana's character and what she means to the series. Her rampancy is a powerful idea that can be used as part of the storyline and Halo Reach only emphasized her importance as a character within the universe.

I don't think Chief needs to be anything but what he has been in the past. If you want to delve into his past a bit more, I guess that may be interesting.

wwm0nkey

derFeef said:
When can we expect to see the a glimpse game, would be end of 2011 too early?
We will probably see some in-game stuff at the VGAs

Just be sure to DVR it and skip all the stupid stuff (so basically only watch the trailers) lol

SpacLock

derFeef said:
When can we expect to see the a glimpse game, would be end of 2011 too early?

I'd guess first half of 2012 before we see in game. I'm sure they'll release some more CG stuff before then.

lockload

gibon3z said:
Hey one can always hope right.
New devs, new direction perhaps simultaneous pc and console release :)
That question was asked and they said not being looked into at all, totally console focused

Vire

derFeef said:
When can we expect to get a glimpse of the game, would be end of 2011 too early?

edit: typo, doh.
I can assure you that we will see in game footage at next year's E3.

I'm the prophet of Israel right?

[Nintex] said:
Actually ... at least 2 guys, Jason Behr and Kynan Pearson.

4WFH8.jpg

TheOddOne

derFeef said:
Hm, wouldn't that be the same schedule as for Reach? Sounds plausible.
Halo 4 is coming end of 2012, right?
Yeah.

wwm0nkey said:
really don't think its too soon at all.
I doubt 343 wants to show anything specific in-game stuff so soon, but wants to focus on Master Chief returning to the forefront. First half of next year though, in-game stuff will be released.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TheOddOne said:
Too soon. Maby another CGI teaser trailer.
It's probably launching in September 2012, so unless they don't want to show the game nine months from launch, that would be a fine time to show it.

Edit:

I guess Holiday 2012 would technically push it to October/November, but that's not much different.

Red

Cannot wait.

I've been keeping my expectations in check (mostly) for every Halo game since being burned by H2, but I. Can. Not. Wait. for Halo 4.

343i is a dream team.

wwm0nkey

Nirolak said:
It's probably launching in September 2012, so unless they don't want to show the game nine months from launch, that would be a fine time to show it.
Not to mention that they will want a big audience to see it so I don't think we will see a magazine reveal. Showing it off at the VGAs just makes perfect sense.

JdFoX187

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:
The reason Other M sucked was not because of Samus.

Anyway, everything looks great so far. Glad to hear that they want to expand gamplay instead of reselling Halo reach again. I'm also glad that the MC in the trailer is not final, he looked pretty bad, imo.
The comparison is fairly accurate because this is a lot of what Team Ninja and Sakamoto were saying about developing Samus as a character. Though, I'm confident 343i will do something much better than constant references to a baby.

Those apprehensive about the additional character development of the Chief should really take a look at some of the expanded fiction. I know there's always the "lulz video game books" but there is some quality stuff there, especially in the books that focus on the Chief himself. Fall of Reach is a very entertaining read, and certainly paints a better picture of the planet's demise than the game did. Plus you get some really interesting character development. Bungie tried to walk a line between having an interesting character and still making him an avatar of the player ala Half-Life's Freeman and failed at doing either. Chief was at his best in Combat Evolved when he actually had personality and was less of a one-line spouting walking cliche like he was in Halo 2 and especially Halo 3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
wwm0nkey said:
Not to mention that they will want a big audience to see it so I don't think we will see a magazine reveal. Showing it off at the VGAs just makes perfect sense.
Well, Game Informer reaches about 6 million people a month these days, which is vastly more than the amount of people who watch the VGAs, but I'd certainly expect them to at least show in game footage if they debut it there.

derFeef

wwm0nkey said:
Gameinformer would be better I guess, but for trailers and stuff a big tease would do it's job.

wwm0nkey

Nirolak said:
Well, Game Informer reaches about 6 million people a month these days, which is vastly more than the amount of people who watch the VGAs, but I'd certainly expect them to at least show in game footage if they debut it there.
Im thinking it will follow the Halo Reach set up.

Show trailer at VGA then release screen shots in Game Informer.

I would like to see Cortana turn against chief. Just as I sit here thinking about it, they've kinda hinted that her mind state "may be" unstable. What that means, I do not know.

There's a few things that come to mind. Cortana spent a lot of time with the gravemind. Now, if there was a way for the gravemind to find a technique that allowed him to integrate with technology, or more specifically A.I. It would be cool if the gravemind used cortana as a last ditch attempt to move himself from that ship he was stuck on.

What is interesting to me as I think this. This planet Chief and Cortana are heading to is apparently a functioning Forerunner planet? Now honestly, if this would be the case I wouldn't expect the flood to return as it's traditional disgusting form. However, upon landing on this planet it would be awesome to see the gravemind continue infection-type rampage using Cortana as a proxy based on the fact this is just one big planet of technology.

Which leaves two big questions on hand.

Who were the forerunners (who inhabits this planet)? And, How will the human race find chief?

JdFoX187 said:
The comparison is fairly accurate because this is a lot of what Team Ninja and Sakamoto were saying about developing Samus as a character. Though, I'm confident 343i will do something much better than constant references to a baby.

Those apprehensive about the additional character development of the Chief should really take a look at some of the expanded fiction. I know there's always the "lulz video game books" but there is some quality stuff there, especially in the books that focus on the Chief himself. Fall of Reach is a very entertaining read, and certainly paints a better picture of the planet's demise than the game did. Plus you get some really interesting character development. Bungie tried to walk a line between having an interesting character and still making him an avatar of the player ala Half-Life's Freeman and failed at doing either. Chief was at his best in Combat Evolved when he actually had personality and was less of a one-line spouting walking cliche like he was in Halo 2 and especially Halo 3.

I've read all the Nyuland novels and still don't want them to start turning Chief into some tragic character piece. Leave that for the other mediums.

One of the things I like best about the consistency of his character in Bungie's games is that there's no fat. There is none of the bullshit that makes me roll my eyes when playing something like Gears of War.

Soru said:
I would like to see Cortana turn against chief. Just as I sit here thinking about it, they've kinda hinted that her mind state "may be" unstable. What that means, I do not know.

There's a few things that come to mind. Cortana spent a lot of time with the gravemind. Now, if there was a way for the gravemind to find a technique that allowed him to integrate with technology, or more specifically A.I. It would be cool if the gravemind used cortana as a last ditch attempt to move himself from that ship he was stuck on.

What is interesting to me as I think this. This planet Chief and Cortana are heading to is apparently a functioning Forerunner planet? Now honestly, if this would be the case I wouldn't expect the flood to return as it's traditional disgusting form. However, upon landing on this planet it would be awesome to see the gravemind continue infection-type rampage using Cortana as a proxy based on the fact this is just one big planet of technology.

Which leaves two big questions on hand.

Who were the forerunners (who inhabits this planet)? And, How will the human race find chief?
Cortana's reaching the age of rampancy, so she's not got much time left before she dies, in a manner of speaking. Her becoming an antagonist was actually the original plot of Halo 1.

The Gravemind we saw in Halo 2/3 is dead. Even if he's not, he's stuck on the Ark with no way of getting away. I hope that's the last we've seen of the Flood.

If you want to know who the Forerunners were, I suggest you read Halo: Cryptum. As for how they found the Chief's location: Cortana dropped a beacon at the end of Halo 3. They probably found the signal.

I cannot wait for more info on Halo 4. Since Halo: CE I've always thought that the Forerunners were one of the most intriguing parts of the Halo universe. Now we're going to get to explore that side of the universe. I really enjoyed reading Halo: Cryptum. Can't wait for the next book.

I also feel that 343 is going into this with the right mindset. They sound like they are really striving to do things that Bungie never did. And that's not a knock at Bungie. It's a compliment to 343 for being willing to go new places. And I can't wait.

wwm0nkey

Blue Ninja said:
Cortana's reaching the age of rampancy, so she's not got much time left before she dies, in a manner of speaking. Her becoming an antagonist was actually the original plot of Halo 1.

The Gravemind we saw in Halo 2/3 is dead. Even if he's not, he's stuck on the Ark with no way of getting away. I hope that's the last we've seen of the Flood.

If you want to know who the Forerunners were, read Halo: Cryptum. As for how they found the Chief's location: Cortana dropped a beacon at the end of Halo 3. They probably found the signal.
She is not like other A.I's though, she has been exposed to so much some of which might have helped fight of the Rampancy

Considering they said all the recent fiction feeds into HALO 4, I assume Cortana is definitely turning rampant if we look at her state in Origins Pt II.

Unity2012

This whole thread spontaneously filled me with Nerd-xcitment! I feel like a kid all over again.

A couple hundred people working on this for over two years sounds great; and a whole new World to explore, to get to know more about MC and the fate of humans... Wow! Best wishes to everyone at 343.

wwm0nkey said:
She is not like other A.I's though, she has been exposed to so much some of which might have helped fight of the Rampancy
If anything, everything she's been exposed to would've probably sped up the rampancy. They made a point of it in the third novel, even, when it's noted she's acting differently after absorbing all the data from the Halo ring. Halsey wipes nearly all the data off her to stave off her impending rampancy, as she's almost seven years old at that time. The Gravemind's influence probably didn't help, either. She's going to think herself to death at one point or another, like all other smart A.I.'s in the Halo universe.

Well, I guess there was that one A.I. from the "The Cole Protocol"-novel that managed to stave off rampancy by focusing on keeping the Rubble functional, maybe they'll follow that route.

Cortana going rampant and becoming an antagonist would be an awesome plot twist, one I would applaud 343 for. As long as they don't do the "Cortana moments" from Halo 3. :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Blue Ninja said:
If anything, everything she's been exposed to would've probably sped up the rampancy. They made a point of it in the third novel, even, when it's noted she's acting differently after absorbing all the data from the Halo ring. Halsey wipes nearly all the data off her to stave off her impending rampancy, as she's almost seven years old at that time. The Gravemind's influence probably didn't help, either. She's going to think herself to death at one point or another, like all other smart A.I.'s in the Halo universe.

Well, I guess there was that one A.I. from the "The Cole Protocol"-novel that managed to stave off rampancy by focusing on keeping the Rubble functional, maybe they'll follow that route.

Cortana going rampant and becoming an antagonist would be an awesome plot twist, one I would applaud 343 for. As long as they don't do the "Cortana moments" from Halo 3. :lol
I'm sure part of this trilogy involves Master Chief finding some voodoo Forerunner technology to save Cortana.

wwm0nkey

Nirolak said:
I'm sure part of this trilogy involves Master Chief finding some voodoo Forerunner technology to save Cortana.
Maybe, also we have to remember that Origins II in Halo Legends did show she can now alter stuff in the physical world.

Nirolak said:
I've got a feeling we're going to be dealing with a lot of A.I.'s this trilogy. Should be interesting.

wwm0nkey said:
Maybe, also we have to remember that Origins II in Halo Legends did show she can now alter stuff in the physical world.
Did 343 ever say anything about that? If not, I think you shouldn't need to look that deep into it: probably just the artists trying to create "an emotional touch". I doubt that scene was significant.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
wwm0nkey said:
Yeah, I'm assuming they're intending to go in a much more romantic direction with their relationship, so adding that was rather important.

At least, that's the distinct impression I got from this:

cortanapodzf1o.jpg

U2NUMB

Everything looks great so far. Really looking forward to a fresh take on the universe.

Now I was talking with a friend earlier and I was wondering. Could we possibly see a Zelda type situation like when the Wii was released?

Halo 4 for both Xbox 360 and the next console at the same time? I am guessing now as they would want to push the new console and Halo being their biggest draw.

As someone else pointed out earlier.. no 360 logo on anything yet. It is early but it is curious.

wwm0nkey

Blue Ninja said:
I've got a feeling we're going to be dealing with a lot of A.I.'s this trilogy. Should be interesting.

Did 343 ever say anything about that? If not, I think you shouldn't need to look that deep into it: probably just the artists trying to create "an emotional touch". I doubt that scene was significant.
Well legends is cannon and I am sure the artist knew she was previously restricted to the holopad also they ended it on that note too.

Not to mention we get an in-game explanation as to why the chiefs armor has changed and I am going to go out on a limb and say Cortana had something to do with it.

wwm0nkey said:

I don't think that's true. I'm pretty sure Bungie or 343 said something about people reading too much into that. That it was just done for dramatic effect in the movie basically.

Also, anyone with an interest in the Forerunners should without a doubt read Halo: Cryptum. It sheds so much light on the Forerunners themselves, as well as the world BEFORE the Forerunners fired the Halo rings and wiped everything out.

Also, speculation about the end of the trailer? Has to be a Forerunner. If it was just a monitor I don't think it would have been thrown in so cryptically.

JdFoX187

Banned
Scullibundo said:
I've read all the Nyuland novels and still don't want them to start turning Chief into some tragic character piece. Leave that for the other mediums.

One of the things I like best about the consistency of his character in Bungie's games is that there's no fat. There is none of the bullshit that makes me roll my eyes when playing something like Gears of War.
I think there's room to have some character development without going the ridiculous MARIA! route that Gears of War took. As a writer myself, I would like to see how the constant killing has taken a toll on Chief. They could really take it in some interesting directions while still keeping the tough guy bravado that he exerts in gameplay. But it would be a failure from both a writing perspective and logic for him to be the same character in Halo 4 as he is in the original trilogy. Whereas before he was fighting alongside other humans, there was a very definitive chain of command and there was an obvious end game to the conflict, here it's completely different. He's alone, he only has Cortana with him and there's no real objective other than to survive. So growing closer to Cortana would make sense, especially considering everything they've been through.

Obviously, it all comes down to how well they write the story and how it's presented. If it's closer to Halo 2 story telling, which gave some real emotional depth to everyone in the series sans Chief, it could succeed. If they go the Halo 3 route and have flat characterization with one-liners, then I think that aspect of the game will fall flat on its face.

Khezu

I'd like to see cortona going nuts and being the villain. Halo really needs a more memorable bad guy with a face.

Have her start cracking up during 4, then go straight batshit crazy at the end, then be the main villain for 5 and 6, and at the end of 6 they use magical forrunner tech to cure her, or if they have balls, kill her off.

Retro

Getting a sort of Metroid vibe from this art, the idea of being alone on a strange planet filled with the ruins of an advanced culture is familiar and yet still very interesting.

Soru said:

Hmm, the Cortana/Gravemind AI basically tries to re-create the flood as a technology-based threat rather than organic, effectively causing the entire planet to turn into a sort of cyber-flood.

Fuck yah, I'd be on board for that.

Nirolak said:
Yeah, I'm assuming they're intending to go in a much more romantic direction with their relationship, so adding that was rather important.

At least, that's the distinct impression I got from this:

http://www.abload.de/img/cortanapodzf1o.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
I don't see any indication they'll go that route, even from the image you posted. Cortana cares a lot about the Chief, sure, but there's been nothing in the books, or in the games, to suggest it's of a romantic nature. And it would be pretty creepy.

Besides, judging from the books, I don't think it's within the Chief's character to "fall in love" with anyone. He's able to care deeply, but love is outside of his emotional range. It's beyond him.

Monocle

wwm0nkey said:
There's still the question of whether she was hallucinating. Given her unstable state, it's a plausible possibility.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Weirdly I was sooo pumped for Halo 3 as that E3 trailer a few years before was pimp. It twas one of the driving forces behind my 360 purchase (as well as Gears launching like a 1 month later post 360 purchase). My love for the series sort of died though, and I wasn't that into Halo 3, ODST, or Reach (though I liked some things Reach tried to do).

For some reason though while Halo Anniversary and Halo 4 weren't on my E3 radar I'm extremely interested in Halo 4 now after PAX. Mad props to 343i getting me reinterested again!

PS: I do personally wish it was a next gen game, but that's a different discussion.

JdFoX187

Banned
Khezu said:
I'd like to see cortona going nuts and being the villain. Halo really needs a more memorable bad guy with a face.

Have her start cracking up during 4, then go straight batshit crazy at the end, then be the main villain for 5 and 6, and at the end of 6 they use magical forrunner tech to cure her, or if they have balls, kill her off.
Keep Michael Wincott as the voice of the Prophet of Truth, don't turn him into a rambling zealot loon and keep him more of the scheming politician that he was in Halo 2 and that would be one awesome and extremely charismatic villain. They dropped the ball in Halo 3 by not only changing his voice (though I do love General Zod) but also completely changing his character.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dax01 said:
I don't see any indication they'll go that route, even from the image you posted. Cortana cares a lot about the Chief, sure, but there's been nothing in the books, or in the games, to suggest it's of a romantic nature. And it would be pretty creepy.

Besides, judging from the books, I don't think it's within the Chief's character to "fall in love" with anyone. He's able to care deeply, but love is outside of his emotional range. It's beyond him.
Well, my statement is based a lot on this:

Eurogamer said:
Cortana plays "an important role" in Halo 4. "This is John's story," Holmes said, "but when you look at the two characters who are at the centre of this universe and their relationship and how important that's been to Halo over the first 10 years, it's something we really wanted to explore as a team."

"A lot of what this trilogy is going to focus on is exploring the character of Master Chief and what it means to bring him back, and really getting a little bit closer to that character than we've ever experienced before in any of the past games. There's a lot of depth to John that exists primarily in a lot of the other fiction we felt we wanted to explore more deeply and lay a journey for him that would transform and evolve him as a character and a man."

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
JdFoX187 said:
Keep Michael Wincott as the voice of the Prophet of Truth, don't turn him into a rambling zealot loon and keep him more of the scheming politician that he was in Halo 2 and that would be one awesome and extremely charismatic villain. They dropped the ball in Halo 3 by not only changing his voice (though I do love General Zod) but also completely changing his character.

I'm gonna get flamed, but his character in H2 was one of the reasons I really liked H2's story as it had a great bad guy. I just wasn't feeling the villains in H3.

Nirolak said:
Well, my statement is based a lot on this:
And I'm not seeing anything in that paragraph that even remotely suggests some sort of romantic relationship. In fact, the mention of the depth he's given in the book suggests the opposite.

Top Bottom