• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 launch trailer (David Fincher, Tim Miller) premiering Oct. 18th

bdrob

He was supposed to die. He only had a couple seconds left when he tossed the bomb, he knew he was goin to die. Why not have him just stand there and accept it rather than turn, run and try to jog out of the blast, which he had to know was a pointless exersise.

And yeah he's the old Noble 6. You play the new 6 in reach.

How can he be the old Noble 6? If the trailer is depicting the invasion of Reach, which it surely is, then the old 6 is already a goner as you join them at the start of the game before they know the Covenant are on Reach.

Given it took him less than 1:45 to get there and pose he must move pretty darn quick ... probably left himself just enough time to get to a distance to be sufficiently awesome looking but safe i.e. enveloped in explosion but comes out the other side smouldering.

Always loved the Reach trailer, and Halo 3's believe.

Aggrotek

How can he be the old Noble 6? If the trailer is depicting the invasion of Reach, which it surely is, then the old 6 is already a goner as you join them at the start of the game before they know the Covenant are on Reach.

Given it took him less than 1:45 to get there and pose he must move pretty darn quick ... probably left himself just enough time to get to a distance to be sufficiently awesome looking but safe i.e. enveloped in explosion but comes out the other side smouldering.

Always loved the Reach trailer, and Halo 3's believe.

Thought it was a different invasion. Harvest maybe? It is showing the old Noble 6. Proof can be seen in that Kat still has her arm.

JdFoX187

Banned
I don't see how. Iterations after CE just expanded upon the original formula and tightening the mechanics, it's feasibly impossible for CE to be better.

Expansion doesn't necessarily make it better. No Halo game after Combat Evolved ever brought back the magic of the three-way battles between the Covenant, Flood and Chief in Two Betrayals. None of the games post-Combat Evolved had the expansive wide open levels that you could run around in and explore with numerous secrets. None of the actual combat encounters with enemies like Elites were as entertaining post-Combat Evolved. Halo 2 and Halo 3 brutes were absolute disgraces to the combat sandbox.

Halo 2's campaign, outside the impressive story, was largely forgettable. Halo 3's campaign would be a complete wash and one of the biggest disappointments of this generation had it not been for experiences the scarab battles for the first time. I say first time since you find out they're so damn easy to take down you have to force yourself not to do it immediately in later playthroughs. Reach's campaign is just a slogfest with too many on-rails missions.

Combat Evolved is still the best overall package in the series.

Satchel

Banned
The tag line is awesome.

Foreboding and epic.

Trailer was fantastic. Don't people get sick of ripping on stuff simply for the sake of it? Doesn't it get exhausting after a while?

Trailer hits the mark well given the intention.

343s trying to tell me master chief isnt black?

nevermind-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-214.gif

Never was Black/Chinese/Jewish/Mexican/Smurf/Robot/Sheperd/Cortanas Lover.

LOL

Before you "boo" his statement, you must realize the general public is going to have the same reaction if they aren't familiar with the story.

This trailer was fan service, and that can be a bad thing.

I'll offer an opinion as someone who knows nothing about HALO, and has avoided the entire series except for renting and not really getting far into part 3.

This trailer is a bunch of flashes about stuff I don't understand with characters I don't know, and the only one I do sorta know is strung up by an alien who does not come across as particularly threatening beyond reading memories.

The flashes seem to portray that "HALO guy" is some dude who was part of an experiment, and it looks like his arms were reassembled or something. He gets plugged into a suit like Robocop and then kills aliens.

There's nothing here that would make me want to play this even as a sci fi fan. I mean, I have no clue about anything that I didn't know about HALO before watching it.

I'll offer an opinion as someone who knows nothing about HALO, and has avoided the entire series except for renting and not really getting far into part 3.

This trailer is a bunch of flashes about stuff I don't understand with characters I don't know, and the only one I do sorta know is strung up by an alien who does not come across as particularly threatening beyond reading memories.

The flashes seem to portray that "HALO guy" is some dude who was part of an experiment, and it looks like his arms were reassembled or something. He gets plugged into a suit like Robocop and then kills aliens.

There's nothing here that would make me want to play this even as a sci fi fan. I mean, I have no clue about anything that I didn't know about HALO before watching it.

Well being that Halo is pretty much a household name these days the average non Halo gamer would easily know where to look up info on Halo 4 and the new enemies in it.

Do you think non CoD gamers out there would know what BLOPS 2 is about by what they showed in that last trailer?

abadguy

Banned
Expansion doesn't necessarily make it better. No Halo game after Combat Evolved ever brought back the magic of the three-way battles between the Covenant, Flood and Chief in Two Betrayals. None of the games post-Combat Evolved had the expansive wide open levels that you could run around in and explore with numerous secrets. None of the actual combat encounters with enemies like Elites were as entertaining post-Combat Evolved. ]Halo 2 and Halo 3 brutes were absolute disgraces to the combat sandbox.

Halo 2's campaign, outside the impressive story, was largely forgettable. Halo 3's campaign would be a complete wash and one of the biggest disappointments of this generation had it not been for experiences the scarab battles for the first time. I say first time since you find out they're so damn easy to take down you have to force yourself not to do it immediately in later playthroughs. Reach's campaign is just a slogfest with too many on-rails missions.

Combat Evolved is still the best overall package in the series.

Elites were just as fun to fight in Halo 2 and Reach as for SP campaigns , ODST and Reach were every bit as good (in some ways better than) CE. the weekest SP was Halo 2 campaign by far. I've replayed Reach's campaign almost as much as i have CE.

Subitai

This trailer completely ruined the magic of Master Chief for me.
What are you talking about?
nevermind-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-214.gif

Never was Black/Chinese/Jewish/Mexican/Smurf/Robot/Sheperd/Cortanas Lover.

LOL

Yeah, I was under the impression everyone knew John was a genetic freak white kid from the books, and I've seen it mentioned numerous places, especially in these forums. Obviously I was mistaken. And, apparently 343 decided everyone needed to get up to speed on canon that has been in the books and continually missed from the beginning.

Halo 2 and Halo 3 brutes were absolute disgraces to the combat sandbox.
Not really in the mood to have a giant discussion about your overall points, but this is pure bullshit. Halo 3's brutes are the single best enemy "combat sandbox"-wise. They are the most varied species. They fight as a group, they have a go-for-broke attitude when in danger, and the chieftan is always a badass.

Say what you want about prefering the design and aesthetics of the elites, but combat-wise, the Brutes from Halo 3 are the most fully fleshed out enemies in the entire Halo sandbox.

Lunchbox

Banned
Not really in the mood to have a giant discussion about your overall points, but this is pure bullshit. Halo 3's brutes are the single best enemy "combat sandbox"-wise. They are the most varied species. They fight as a group, they have a go-for-broke attitude when in danger, and the chieftan is always a badass.

Say what you want about prefering the design and aesthetics of the elites, but combat-wise, the Brutes from Halo 3 are the most fully fleshed out enemies in the entire Halo sandbox.

invisible elites with swords > dumb monkeys

TEH-CJ

Banned

This.

could never take halo 3 seriously for several reasons.

1. the covenant speak english. I dont care how it fits into the story with MC having a stupid translator built into his armour. it just sounds pathetic and could never take the story seriously. the world is on the brink of extinction yet we have aliens sounding like kindergarden kids and marines chucking parties everytime they get a ride on warthog.

2. the brutes look pathetic. seriously, they look like monkeys.

went down hill from there.

While I won't argue that invisible elites are far cooler, sandbox wise Brute Chieftans are a lot more fun than invisible elites with swords. You can't side step or get close to them. You're only hope is to take them out from a distance, but a chieftan you can maneuver around and dodge. You generally have a lot more combat options at your disposal with chieftans.
This.

1. the covenant speak english. I dont care how it fits into the story with MC having a stupid translator built into his armour. it just sounds pathetic and could never take the story seriously. the world is on the brink of extinction yet we have aliens sounding like my autistic brothers school friends.

This is why I made a distinction about the design and aesthetics vs their behaviour in the combat sandbox. What if the brutes looked like the elites and said wort wort wort but behaved the same?

The brutes are much better to fight against, but the elites are much cooler. There needs to be a balanced variety of them both to really have the most robust Halo Sandbox. Reach didn't have them fighting together as often.

A couple of Gold Elites with Swords, a pack of Brutes with a Hammer-carrying chieftan, and two hunters in the back, surrounded by grunts and jackals is the most epic combat scenario. And I don't remember every encountering it. The closest is Two Betrayals, but that had no brutes. :(

Apath

Then why were they so much less fun to fight than elites? :|

GhaleonEB

Recreated beautifully.
F9kBz.jpg

Yes. I was thinking about this today, and about to google for the image, when I realized I was a bit behind on this thread and just now saw it had been posted. The way the trailer told the fictional backstory of the Spartan II program, and recreated pieces such as what you posted along the way, really have me geeking out a bit.

It's not a very well cut trailer, but the content is really excellent.

Spazznid

The part where they took Child-John and replaced him with a clone really hit me. After seeing the Anime, and the fact that I only realized it the second time watching it, I was taken back. This trailer is great, but it's DEFINITELY meant for the Lore fans.

Sojgat

Master Chief looks like Kane, and it's kind of off-putting. I didn't want to see his face/head/whatevs, for this very reason.

Part of me really hopes 343 pull a massive troll on everybody getting hyped about the Forerunners etc.

Like have whatever the fuck that thing is in the traielr heading toward Chief and just as it's about to attack him, have a flood spore burst out of him.

Cue back to back flood levels with the cunt-factor of Cortana and the shitty level design of The Library.

abadguy

Banned
This.

1. the covenant speak english. I dont care how it fits into the story with MC having a stupid translator built into his armour. it just sounds pathetic and could never take the story seriously. the world is on the brink of extinction yet we have aliens sounding like kindergarden kids and marines chucking parties everytime they get a ride on warthog.

The Covenant spoke english because a large chunk of the story was told from their perspective in Halo 2 , not to mention it would've been a waste having great VA,s like Keith David(Arbiter) and Micheal Wincott(Truth) speaking gibberish. The grunts were always just fine as an enemy , i like how Halo mixes in humor with the story. Sets it apart from the usual brown/gray shooters with far lamer characters and stories, that take themselves way too seriously

HollovVpo1nt said:
This trailer completely ruined the magic of Master Chief for me.

How? The trailer may not be great, but its not at that level of bad. Plus, the concept that they portrayed was pretty cool and it completely is true to the fiction.

Yeah how? Everything that happened is accurate.

Is it because he was ugly as a kid?

And the Forerunner?

What are you talking about?

Well, throughout the Halo Trilogy, I've sculpted the Master Chief in my mind. He is a special soldier. In the trailer he was nothing special, just another shaved head in an armor. He was more generic as a human than the level of generic a spacemarine is. I don't know if it's what they were going for, but the chief simply wasn't special enough for me. It's difficult to explain :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18-_9E0HNY4

Nothing beats this for me though. I had 0 interest in Reach, and I saw this advert, and BOOM auto sold.

I really, really enjoyed Halo: Reach's campaign, but looking at trailer like that reminds me what could have been and how Bungie dropped the ball on something that could have been so much bigger. Halo: Reach's campaign was more of a covert campaign if you know what I mean. I have to say, looking at those firefights and explosions in the trailer, I have to give major props to Guerilla Games with Killzone 2. They made the smallest firefight look like like total war.

GrizzNKev

Banned
We'll, throughout the Halo Trilogy, I've sculpted the Master Chief in my mind. He is a special soldier. In the trailer he was nothing special, just another shaved head in an armor. He was more generic as a human than the level of generic a spacemarine is. I don't know if it's what they were going for, but the chief simply wasn't special enough for me. It's difficult to explain :(

I kind of see what you mean. Have you read The Fall of Reach? The scenes in there were selected to show how the Master Chief came to be, but there are certainly plenty of moments that happened during his training between those scenes that construct John as special and important. I do feel like for people who aren't familiar with his origin, this trailer isn't conveying his character, but for those of us who are, it's just a visual to connect with what we already know, which is quite cool.

I kind of see what you mean. Have you read The Fall of Reach? The scenes in there were selected to show how the Master Chief came to be, but there are certainly plenty of moments that happened during his training between those scenes that construct John as special and important. I do feel like for people who aren't familiar with his origin, this trailer isn't conveying his character, but for those of us who are, it's just a visual to connect with what we already know, which is quite cool.

I haven't read or seen anything outside of the Halo games: from Halo: CE to Halo: Reach (ODST and Wars included).

Yeah, then I can understand how it's hard to connect with what's happening since it's somewhat vague in the commercial.

I've lurked on various forums for years now, so I know the origin of the Chief (taken away as a child etc.) so it wasn't hard to connect with the trailer, because I knew what they were showing. The "issue" is that I don't know if I wanted to see it, if you know what I mean. If you read about it, you imagine it. I think I'll give it a rest, it really hard to describe.

Top Bottom