• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 launch trailer (David Fincher, Tim Miller) premiering Oct. 18th

It isn't that the Brutes are hard to fight, they are just not fun to fight. To me Exodus is mind-numbing because of that and the poor level design, something most Reach missions suffer from.

LOL, maybe you should get your facts straight, they didn't rewrite the book, they republished it with a few sentences changed.

You also basically described what is wrong with FoR, it is just a script, not a novel. The setting and plot are all fine, but the writing is extremely dry and the descriptions of things are laughable.
They released the data drops.

The actual invasion is all that is covered in the book. Reach covers the Covie Recon teams, and stealth forces that were on Reach beforehand. The actual invasion does not really start until the end of Long Night of Solace/Start of Exodus.

That and with the Covenant's technology it would have been impossible to actually win that fast.

They released the data drops.
Huh? What does that have to do with what I said?

The FoR book and Reach can coexist just fine story wise. People really blew it out of proportion. There are perfectly feasible explanations for the PoA landing on Reach during the book.

Exactly. It isn't like the book described every last moment about the POA or that Cortana (or a portion of her) was on POA and Reach.

Huh? What does that have to do with what I said?
"LOL, maybe you should get your facts straight, they didn't rewrite the book, they republished it with a few sentences changed. "

I was referring to that. They did rewrite some stuff in the books but they tried to retcon the game and the book with the Data Drops.

Card Boy

Banned
Fall of Reach (Book) Oct 2001
Halo Combat Evolved (game) Nov 2001

In other words he was always white.

I knew Chief was white based on a description from Fall of Reach, but when do we see he is white in Halo 1? The last scene is him taking off his helmet and putting it on his lap, but we never see his face.

FStop7

Banned
What I learned from this trailer (as well as BLOPS 2) is that glowing orange is the new favorite highlight color of designers and that glowing green and blue are out.

Well, I always liked that Master Chief as a person was a no go. I had hoped they would seek to develop his character without showing his face.
I thought the original idea was that the player was supposed to imagine themselves in him.

It seems extremely familiar to think of a boot-strap-cut soldier getting used by the military for a secret project, becoming a non-questionable super soldier.
But what nagged me was the shot of his mom yelling on the beach, "john, john". The Pelicans (airships) in the background.. It all seemed to contrived, to forced. The mother (or familiar character yelling on the beach.. It just rubbed me the wrong way).

Besides a few other places of fairly b-movie feel, it seemed pretty good but relativelty pointless. He got captured while fighting some patrolling characters and that was the drama? In the gist of the drama and all the events that happened in the prior games including the near destruction of all life in the universe, him going derp-derp on four glowing spongebob machines seems hummm-humm.

I'm not hating, but why didn't they take this in another direction. Why didnt they want to make more out of master chief without showing him. Like HAL from 2001! They could do things with this emotionless and expressionless mask. Things we havent seen before. So why opt for doing the same thing?

The power of Halo was for me always in the things left unsaid. SOTC-style. I imagined a world of chanting monks and developed my own line of thinking. I think they really sold the mystery. I don't know if it was Halo 3, Reach or the novels or a combination of it all.

I just hope I will be surprised in Halo 4. I want to be surprised when I play these games, but like most hollywood films, chances are you are not. Because the archer-type story mode is portrayed and you will never really get scared or concerned because you know the chief won't die. I hope more writers will soon go for unforgiving writing styles were they are willing to kill off more characters. I would be happy to see Master Chief get the axe. And not heroric, last boss,save-us-all. Lets see him in a selfish or extremeist or just getting pwned by a stronger enemy.
Stop treating the atagonist like a chump!!

I loved this in Witcher 2. The "bad guy" is stronger, smarter and more cunning than the hero. This doesnt mean the hero is not awesome and strong and capable. He is just not the best thing since sliced bread. I loved that. It's more relateable than metal-war-jesus.:p

Halo is about the chanting monks! Its those tunes, man!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Anyone notice the inside of the Prometheans mask opens up on the right side of the screen, (left side of the Promethean) it looks like the inside of his mask kind of looks like that concept art from the vid doc?

rObOc.png

Promethean.png

Maybe I am seeing things?

Anyone notice the inside of the Prometheans mask opens up on the right side of the screen, (left side of the Promethean) it looks like the inside of his mask kind of looks like that concept art from the vid doc?

Maybe I am seeing things?

I'm not sure I understand.. do you mean it resembles the art more than the game?

From what I can tell thats basically exactly how it looks in game.

BigTnaples

Talking specifically of the right side of the screenshot, left side of the outershell of the face. Looks like an eye that kind of fits with the concept art.

BigTnaples

minute long version of the trailer just played during Monday Night Football. Thought it came off much better.

Saw one during the walking dead, seemed like even shorter. Just showed the fight with the Knights and then the big baddy in MC's face at the end...

Twas nice but I prefer the normal version, and I am crossing my fingers for an extended version(hopefully that 7 minute rumor is true).

Saw the shortened version in the commercials during baseball and was all like meh.

Just watched the full version and I said wow.

Woorloog

Banned
Definetly think the full-length version is better.
Though the version with Revival track is even better (some GAFer made it, no?).

Simo

Probably posted in HaloGAF but the Gameplay trailer debuts tonight on FX during Sons of Anarchy.

Top Bottom