• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Better than I did.

I never finished. I was about 2/3rds of the way there by the time I stopped renewing my XBL subscription.

It was a horrible grind. On again off again play over 4 years is what it took.

By the time I got the achievement I had stopped caring about achievements altogether, in any measure.

Still a fantastic game with a dedicated population. Even now I jump on and have no problem getting into full 3v3 matches.

Desperately needs a sequel, with Ensemble now dissolved though... Aint gonna happen.

Woorloog

Banned
Only vaguely decent looking btb map I've played on. Runs like crap spiltscreen which Woorloog just mentioned.
Large majority of Halo 4 BTB maps run very, very badly in splitscreen. Exile and Ragnarok are among better ones, and even they have largeish frame rate issues in certain situations.
Spike me up then.
There is a slight problem of the possibility of going mad due to certain influences. Also making a spike requires killing someone with the magic the spike grants (steals).

Mistel

Banned
Large majority of Halo 4 BTB maps run very, very badly in splitscreen. Exile and Ragnarok are among better ones, and even they have largeish frame rate issues in certain situations.

There is a slight problem of the possibility of going mad due to certain influences. Also making a spike requires killing someone with the magic the spike grants (steals).
Hasn't splitscreen always been like that? I think I'd rather not have spikes then.

Woorloog

Banned
Hasn't splitscreen always been like that?

Halo 4 or all Halos?
Because in my considerably splitscreen Halo experience, Halo 3 had very few issues, if any (Assembly was an odd map with splitscreen frame rate issues with 3 or 4 players but not 2). Reach splitscreen had issues with Forge maps with a lot of pieces but maps like Hemorrhage worked just fine, don't recall there being many, if any, issues in standard maps with 3 or 4 players (though Reach's drastically reduced graphics, namely draw distance, and HUD issues like text going over reticule and being nigh unreadable with 3 or 4 players made it almost unplayable with 3 or 4 players).

Halo 4 has issues with splitscreen everywhere. Not really a surprised considering how 343i pushed the system to its limits.

It was a horrible grind. On again off again play over 4 years is what it took.

By the time I got the achievement I had stopped caring about achievements altogether, in any measure.

Still a fantastic game with a dedicated population. Even now I jump on and have no problem getting into full 3v3 matches.

Desperately needs a sequel, with Ensemble now dissolved though... Aint gonna happen.
2v2s are insane, me and my friend have a few rivalries with other pairs after a few weeks playing, almost as much after game trash talk as Halo 3.
Ensemble may be gone but I'm sure 343 (perhaps with another studio) could step up to the challenge of a worthy sequel.

Almost brigadier now

Madness

Everything is dull until November.

Not excited for Destiny? Also, I'm really liking your guys site. Pretty comprehensive info that is hard to find elsewhere. Have to sift through mountains of shit to find like MCC info on sites like IGN. Though I don't know why all the banners were telling me, support beyond don't use adblock. I don't use adblock with IE on my laptop, is it the active x filtering I have on?

TheOddOne

tumblr_moju9wv2LA1spwte1o1_r1_500.jpg

Nirvana

It'd be cool to see the Ogre Twins come out of retirement to play some 2v2 CE, maybe against Lunchbox and Roy.

Or like, old Team Classic vs old Final Boss for some Halo 2 nostalgia tourneys.

Booshka

It'd be cool to see the Ogre Twins come out of retirement to play some 2v2 CE, maybe against Lunchbox and Roy.

Or like, old Team Carbon* vs old Final Boss for some Halo 2 nostalgia tourneys.

343 should fly out some of the OG's for a recreation of the Halo CE G4 Tourney back in 2003. Strangepurple, Clockwork, KillerN, Zyos, Ogres, HPDarkman and Papa Walsh.

Oh damn, so not just absent from arena then? Interesting.
What did you mean by absent from Arena?

I thought their core focus now is aiming for a more "Pure" Arena Shooter based on the trailer & tweets they've been clarifying on. That it's not going to be an only gametype. They've said it's arena competitive, level playing field, no AA's, but Loadouts or Equal starts haven't yet been clarified right now.

Is it safe to assume that specializations (perks) are no more and custom loadouts?

I'm all for having these new abilities and pre set loadouts if they don't dramatically harm everything else like Infinity did in 4.

jem0208

I thought their core focus now is aiming for a more "Pure" Arena Shooter based on the trailer & tweets they've been clarifying on. That it's not going to be an only gametype. They've said it's arena competitive, level playing field, no AA's, but Loadouts or Equal starts haven't yet been clarified right now.

Is it safe to assume that specializations (perks) are no more and custom loadouts?

I'm all for having these new abilities and pre set loadouts if they don't dramatically harm everything else like Infinity did in 4.

I thought it was implied that Arena was a separate mode...? I may be completely wrong.

Nirvana

I thought it was implied that Arena was a separate mode...? I may be completely wrong.

Yeah I think you're right. They said something about the beta being centred around Arena and it being a small section of the larger game. I would assume it will be the basis for their ranked playlist - which I'm (again) assuming they will be putting back into place given the use of the ranking system in the MCC.

jem0208

Yeah I think you're right. They said something about the beta being centred around Arena and it being a small section of the larger game. I would assume it will be the basis for their ranked playlist - which I'm (again) assuming they will be putting back into place given the use of the ranking system in the MCC.

That's what I was thinking which is why I was surprised when she said flat out there was no armour abilities, not just in this arena thing.

It's a very good sign though, hopefully the entire game has a much bigger focus on competitive play.

TheOddOne

We heard nothing about those thing so far, but I hope they scrap those things.

Nirvana

I'd be ok with custom loadouts returning, at least in the sense of primary and secondary weapons, I think even grenades make it too unpredictable to be honest. Just allow us to choose between the 4 carbines (which I assume will be returning) so that we don't have to deal with AR starts.

Even that, I would imagine, will be a point of contention though, due to the balancing issues between the 4 starting primaries and even secondaries. I think it actually adds rather than detracts though as far as standard gameplay goes. More close quartres maps - BR/Carbine/Boltshot come into play, need to stop a vehicle, at least you have a plasma pistol.

MLG can easily just make gametypes BR starts or DMR starts and ranked playlists can do the same. As long as we don't have ridiculous weapon drops and map control returns, I think loadouts should be a fairly balanced mechanic to employ.

IHaveIce

Banned
Just remember, no AAs and no loadouts would us just bring back to the old standard. We now also need a good weapon sandbox and good maps

I hope we get a few good asymmetrical maps in Halo 5. Watching Ogre 2 play Halo CE the last few days makes me miss them.

Think of the H2 asym. maps: Relic, Burial Mounds, Terminal, Turf, Tombstone, Zanzibar, Headlong...

These are the maps I'd like to see used as an asym. Inspiration for future maps. Of course include some sym. style maps but not for this post.

Now we just need boss confirmation on the removal of loadouts from the game and we're starting to get somewhere.
I expect load outs to be in the game but disabled for competitive My by default.

Wouldn't mind equipment coming back in a redone form.

Bubbles shield grenade so you can throw it for example

link1201

There will indeed be new media for delicious public consumption in the months leading up to the launch. As for what type of media, we'll just have to wait and see. :)

That's great to hear but I hope we get something soon. I would love to see/hear more about what ya'll have been up to. :)

Ghazi

Playing Halo 4 now and I swear, weapons better stay spawned on the map for more than 6 seconds.

But, now that I play H4, I can't trust 343. Ejector perk, PERK THAT MAKES YOU NOT GET SLOWDOWN WHEN SPRINTING, etc.

e: Yeah, fuck this game, Infinity Slayer on Abandon is the worst.

Booties

Banned

...we have a firm understanding of halo multiplayer and can't wait to go on this ride with you guys! We did great!

Such a heroic speach. I am very inspired.

Playing Halo 4 now and I swear, weapons better stay spawned on the map for more than 6 seconds.

But, now that I play H4, I can't trust 343. Ejector perk, PERK THAT MAKES YOU NOT GET SLOWDOWN WHEN SPRINTING, etc.

Hopefully the biggest lesson they learned is that adding more abilities and direct counters to them is not balance. No more band aids. Cohesive MP day 1 please. The beta is a good step in this direction.

And yea, weapons disappearing quickly, not ammo on the map, and weapon indicators all have to go.

Ghazi

Hopefully the biggest lesson they learned is that adding more abilities and direct counters to them is not balance. No more band aids. Cohesive MP day 1 please. The beta is a good step in this direction.

And yea, weapons disappearing quickly, not ammo on the map, and weapon indicators all have to go.

I literally walked over rockets that were on the floor, backpedaled, and they were gone. Really frustrating to deal with, as well as the ammo issue.

DeadNames

Banned
No armor abilities... Thank you based 343.

Can you confirm the lack of random ordnance too?

And for the love of god, create some map diversity. Covenant/snow/urban/desert/mountain/rural/forest etc. Not just forerunner and rocky, human vistas please.

And for the love of god, create some map diversity. Covenant/snow/urban/desert/mountain/rural/forest etc. Not just forerunner and rocky, human vistas please.

Jesus.. for real. Keep them simple, clean and pristine (ie: Beta Swordbase > launch Swordbase), and not busier than NYC during a wet t-shirt contest in Times Square.

Top Bottom