• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Rev3rb

Whats everyones stance on button combos by design?

They were glitches in Halo 2, sure, but I liked what they added to the game. If you had the skill to pull them off the reward was great.

With talk of these new spartan abilities I hope there are combos to do a faster melee, BXB.

Maybe they could shoot some rifle faster due to some trickery.

But speaking of Melee, bring back the Halo 2 melee dodge. You could side strafe the sword, and the best part, if the enemy was aiming for your head and went in for the melee, you could crouch and dodge it.

I think this could be pretty cool as long as it was implemented well. Pulling off a bxr/double shot in a tense firefight felt awesome. The only other shooter I can think of that's actually done something similar by design is Gears reloading.

It could also be turned off for vanilla gametypes.

antigoon

I think there's a less-than-zero chance anything like this is included in Halo 5 unfortunately. Bungie had pure disdain for that stuff and nothing coming out of 343 suggests that they feel otherwise.

It always kind of bothered me that Bungie, in my mind, never fully grasped what made Halo multiplayer so great (not just the "fighting game combos").

I feel like I'm the only person who ever mentions this, but Firefight Versus has CRAZY potential to be the next huge mode in Halo if they combine it with Invasion. Imagine controlling different species (Grunts, Jackals, Hunters if you earn enough points doing whatever, etc.). Look at OverRun mode from Gears; easily the best part of that game.

So much potential and there won't be the same BS that was hurting FF in the past, like input delay and lag. For real, Firefight plus that PvP mode would keep me in those playlists far longer than shitting solely on computers.. FF is a fun mode to just chill back and play, but if they want it to have some serious legs they need to expand upon the PvP aspects, especially when it won't negatively impact the quality of ODST Firefight (4 people against computers, fighting to stay alive, etc.). Throw in some new Objectives for both gametypes and bam, legit playlist.
I would totally be down with something like that. I didn't play much OverRun apart from the free trial, but if there could be a PvP version of Beast Mode in GoW3, it could make having Covenant classes a really cool, functional aspect of the game.
  • Heavy Class: Hunters, Brute Chieftans, High Command Elites - 1 life per player, heavily shielded and can inflict massive damage.
  • Middle Class - Infantry Brutes, Infantry Elites - limited lives per player, Spartan-level shielding and damage, can control direction paths of Light Classes and cause Grunts to suicide when final life is used
  • Light Class - Grunts and Jackals - unlimited lives, moderate damage (except for suicides), Jackals can choose between shields or rifles
I'm sure it could be expanded upon in greater detail, but something like that against Spartan enemies could be pretty cool.

Mistel

Banned
In regards to map design for 5. Remember the phrase "functionally symmetrical" is not a real thing.
Synthetase is functionally symmetrical. It is a real thing but not applicable.
Hard light shield, ehhh. There are a couple of guys in my game who pop it every time they're one shot. Fuck me it's annoying
Most I've seen use it with the recharge perk. They just turtle up and back peddle into say the caves on ragnarok for example.

Tawpgun

Halo isn't a fighting game. Button combos are ridiculous.

Hated it in H2 and I still hate the idea now. And how is implementing something that only a few people can do, fair? Isn't that what we're all going for here? A Halo that puts every player on equal ground?

/shrugs

Umm. Everyone can do them, it just requires learning like any other game mechanic.

And I don't like this fighting game bullshit excuse. Borrowing things from other genres shouldn't be discouraged.

Look how many RPG elements are in all these genres now.

Are we talking about gaining points towards ordnance or just how weapons appear on the map in general?
The only way I could see 4s ordnance system working is in firefight or a invasion game type (get better weapons as tiers progress)
If it's just for looks hell yeah, doesn't really bother me.
Yup, just the actual animations of how weapons appear on the map with set timers, etc. -- not talking about Personal Ordnance Drops that you get for earning points.
I would totally be down with something like that. I didn't play much OverRun apart from the free trial, but if there could be a PvP version of Beast Mode in GoW3, it could make having Covenant classes a really cool, functional aspect of the game.
  • Heavy Class: Hunters, Brute Chieftans, High Command Elites - 1 life per player, heavily shielded and can inflict massive damage.
  • Middle Class - Infantry Brutes, Infantry Elites - limited lives per player, Spartan-level shielding and damage, can control direction paths of Light Classes and cause Grunts to suicide when final life is used
  • Light Class - Grunts and Jackals - unlimited lives, moderate damage (except for suicides), Jackals can choose between shields or rifles
I'm sure it could be expanded upon in greater detail, but something like that against Spartan enemies could be pretty cool.
Good ideas. I'd love controlling different Covenant; it would even make players appreciate the enemies more like Halo 2 did. Add some lore into it, create some solid maps, and voila -- magic in the making.

Released

I find the fighting game comparison to be pretty amusing, considering that combos in fighting games were born from a little a game called Street Fighter 2, where landing consecutive hits was a completely unintended mechanic.

If I can't do a button combo where I shoot another player in the groin to disable them from doing anything other than rocking back and forth in a fetal position for the rest of the match, then I don't want any combos in the game.

Omni

Umm. Everyone can do them, it just requires learning like any other game mechanic.

And I don't like this fighting game bullshit excuse. Borrowing things from other genres shouldn't be discouraged.

Look how many RPG elements are in all these genres now.
I don't know man.

I'm forever against them and I highly doubt anyone will convince me otherwise. I played Halo 2. I saw what happened when people didn't know how to do the exploit 'combo'. The whole concept just seems to needlessly complicate combat and only serves to screw over the people who don't have the time or the 'skill' to learn how they work properly.

Just my opinion and all blah blah blah. I'd probably be able to articulate my argument better if it weren't 4am in the morning but

Competa

Banned
This is a really good point. I love the individual game's menu screens. Something will be lost if they're not kept.

This would be such a cool idea.

Most of the UI & backgrounds obviously is an early build.

I don't see these:

http://halofanforlife.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-Shot-2014-06-10-at-10.17.13-AM.png

http://halofanforlife.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-Shot-2014-06-10-at-10.19.12-AM.png

http://teambeyond.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Screen-Shot-2014-06-09-at-5.10.13-PM.png

http://teambeyond.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Screen-Shot-2014-06-09-at-5.10.03-PM.png

http://teambeyond.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Screen-Shot-2014-06-09-at-5.11.25-PM-1024x575.png

staying at all for the Universal Menu UI & Background.

The UI leaves a lot of room to the right for some reason. Imo, the background should have a cool 3D live wallpaper like H4 for example.

Rocks and Debri are orbiting around Requiem and then if you switch to MP the camera shifts towards Infinity's Exterior and into the bridge or some other part of the ships interior.

It doesn't look or feel like they appeal enough when trying to fit with this glorious Halo collection. Based on what we've seen so far. It's way too early to be judging when so much can and will be changed later on.

Exactly what I was thinking ! Its a part of the Halo Nostalgia. Frankie, please. :D

Blueblur1

Static backgrounds for me, please. Spend time on the actual UI and not on "pretty" backgrounds. Pretty background doesn't mean anything if the UI layered over it is poor and frustrating for the user.

BigShow36

I don't know man.

I'm forever against them and I highly doubt anyone will convince me otherwise. I played Halo 2. I saw what happened when people didn't know how to do the exploit 'combo'. The whole concept just seems to needlessly complicate combat and only serves to screw over the people who don't have the time or the 'skill' to learn how they work properly.

Just my opinion and all blah blah blah. I'd probably be able to articulate my argument better if it weren't 4am in the morning but

Halo 2's problem is that the shooting skill gap was non-existent, so the button combo's became the primary differentiator in any engagement. The aim assist and lunge magnetism also made the button combos extremely powerful, as players really didn't need to aim to land a double-shot or BXR.

Players should be rewarded for learning the game and executing skill-based actions, but the combat in a shooting game shouldn't be determined by button combos.

FyreWulff

I played Halo 2 for almost 6 years, dealing with bugs and glitches. People who liked the glitches had Halo 2 PC to continue enjoying them. I already played -that- Halo 2 to death.

If you're keeping BXR but fixing other stuff, you're already picking and choosing which bugs to fix. If it was a bug, it needs to be fixed. Period. If MLG wants to have 1080p60 Halo 2 streams with BXRs, they already have the PC version to fit that need and can even use Xbox One controllers if they want.

I mean, one huge bug in Halo 2 was the fact that only the host had full physics. That bug will more than likely be fixed now. This changes the game in a big way already, even without fixing button combos.

Offer us something new. Offer us the intended Halo 2 sandbox that couldn't be fixed due to limitations of the original Xbox.

I played Halo 2 for almost 6 years, dealing with bugs and glitches. People who liked the glitches had Halo 2 PC to continue enjoying them. I already played -that- Halo 2 to death.

If you're keeping BXR but fixing other stuff, you're already picking and choosing which bugs to fix. If it was a bug, it needs to be fixed. Period. If MLG wants to have 1080p60 Halo 2 streams with BXRs, they already have the PC version to fit that need and can even use Xbox One controllers if they want.
Man oh man.. Fyre, pls. There are like 10 people on H2V.

If you don't like button combos that much play one of the other 4 Halo games, which is actually more fair to say than telling people to go play H2V lol, but I really don't see how a BXR in a game with a massive melee lunge is such a huge deal. If someone wants to not shoot in a shooting game and rush me with a melee, they're going to get bodied. If I'm rushing towards someone with the intentions to BXR, hopefully I'll be the one getting pooped on.

What experiences have you had that made Halo 2 button combos unbearable?

willow ve

Static backgrounds for me, please. Spend time on the actual UI and not on "pretty" backgrounds. Pretty background doesn't mean anything if the UI layered over it is poor and frustrating for the user.

For example - see the Waypoint stats page. First thing everyone did was disable background animation because it really hindered reading the stats.

Tawpgun

The pros will go to where the players are.

idk, I can't really see them going back to an old Halo. I can see a throwback tournament or something but not something sustained. Once Guardians comes out, the competetive scene will move there. If its good, MLG will hopefully pick it back up. If not, well we still have the community organized tourneys and maybe another global championship

Sounds good to me, whats the issue?

PC version multiplayer had some "netcode" issues but Frankie indicates this is largely a new port from the Xbox original, not the PC version, so I wouldnt expect that to be a problem.

Some assets taken from PC obviously since PC exclusive maps are in, and possible the PC banshee and fuel rod etc. Many assets were directly shared between the two versions anyway so a lot of it wouldn't matter which port they got it from.

It means that for people like us,
expect the worst.
I won't believe it until I have the ability to get a 3sk on Stinkles, and destroy Nebula in Hog Wars with Stormtrooper watching.

EDIT:
Which XBOne feature is Frankie referring to when he says it's easier to engineer custom games? Is there a way to search ala a browser?
Probably meant that it's just easier than before thanks to the added features, more social features in general and just better/more reliable online connectivity. I highly doubt we'll see any toggles or a CGB ;[

BigShow36

Sounds good to me, whats the issue?

PC version multiplayer had some "netcode" issues but Frankie indicates this is largely a new port from the Xbox original, not the PC version, so I wouldnt expect that to be a problem.

Some assets taken from PC obviously since PC exclusive maps are in, and possible the PC banshee and fuel rod etc. Many assets were directly shared between the two versions anyway so a lot of it wouldn't matter which port they got it from.

The issue is that originally we were told it was just like playing Halo CE on Xbox. Now, it's a new port with mixed assets from PC and Xbox. I don't know ultimately what it's really going to play like, but any alterations from the original CE on Xbox are likely to be detrimental. Maybe I'm misunderstanding/misreading it.

One thing, and this is big, is I think Halo PC had random weapon respawn timers.

The issue is that originally we were told it was just like playing Halo CE on Xbox. Now, it's a new port with mixed assets from PC and Xbox. I don't know ultimately what it's really going to play like, but any alterations from the original CE on Xbox are likely to be detrimental.

One thing, and this is big, is I think Halo PC had random weapon respawn timers.

We already knew this was merging Xbox and PC due to the new maps. I wouldn't worry though. Like I said, obviously they have PC assets because they're putting PC exclusive things in this port. He's still indicating that the port is largely "og Xbox" based. I think you're overthinking it and worrying yourself.

proprietary port of Xbox with other bits

BigShow36

We already knew this was merging Xbox and PC due to the new maps. I wouldn't worry though. Like I said, obviously they have PC assets because they're putting PC exclusive things in this port. He's still indicating that the port is largely "og Xbox" based. I think you're overthinking it and worrying yourself.

I'm trying to see where the catch is. After 10+ years of mind-bogglingly bad decisions, I can't fully buy into the idea that they've made a great one without something going wrong.

Fuchsdh

The issue is that originally we were told it was just like playing Halo CE on Xbox. Now, it's a new port with mixed assets from PC and Xbox. I don't know ultimately what it's really going to play like, but any alterations from the original CE on Xbox are likely to be detrimental. Maybe I'm misunderstanding/misreading it.

Guess they should roll back that 60fps then.

I'm trying to see where the catch is. After 10+ years of mind-bogglingly bad decisions, I can't fully buy into the idea that they've made a great one without something going wrong.

Well for that I don't blame you. I'm waiting for the catch, too. There's gotta be something about this collection that will piss fans off. Wonder what it is. The internet can always find something to hate.

FyreWulff

You would assume the maps are based off PC.

I mean, in Xbox Blood Gulch you can literally drive a ghost into the sandbox and snipe from the stars.

And you can go up on the top of Damnation and Sidewinder, etc

CyReN

Made this awhile back, enjoy

Production & Event

Halo 2 Cutscenes
Halo 2 - Legendary Ending
Behind the Scenes: Making of Halo 2
Halo 2 - Beyond Single Player, Multiplayer and Live
Halo 2 - Visualizing the Story
Halo 2 - Designing the levels
Halo 2 - "Cutting Room: Floor Cinematics"
Halo 2 - "Cutting Room: Weapons, Vehicles & Characters"
First Look at Halo 2
Halo 2 E3 Teaser Trailer
Halo 2 E3 Real Time Demo
Halo 2 E3 Multiplayer Demo
Halo 2 - Making of Halo "Bungie Factor"
Halo 2 - "Weekly What's Update Video"
Making of Halo 2 Map Packs
Halo 2 Trailer "Already Here"
Halo 2 Theatrical Trailer
Halo 2 Vista Trailer
Halo 2 "Another Day At The Beach"
G4TV Icons - Bungie
G4TV Halo 2 Times Square Launch
X-Play - "The Halo 2 Episode"
The Ultimate Gamer - Part 1 | Part 2
Halo 2 Beta at MLG Seattle
First MLG Halo 2 Tourrnament
Sex Drugs and Halo Pros - Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
Halo 2 Speed Run at AGDQ 2014 by Mister Monopoli
Halo 2 Tricks Playlist

Fan Made

Halo 2 Trash Talk
Croyt's Anger Part 1 | Part 2
Ghost of Lockout
The Yellow Warthog Unlocked
Hidden Flood Juggernaut
OGRE 1 41-0 on MLG Lockout Hill
In Remembrance of Halo 2
MLG Vegas 2007 Finals

Montage

Walshy 2nd Montage
OGRES Halo 2 Montage
Rippon Halo 2 Montage 1
Itwasluck's 5th Montage
Eli The Ninja 1st Montage
shooK on3 - The Revolution
shooK On3 - Fragging Rights
The Halo God - Can't Touch This
The Halo God - Dust 2 Dust
The Halo God - Just wanna have fun
The Halo god - Stick to your roots
Reid18 Halo 2 Montage
Reid18 "Nubtage"
Nakamuras Halo 2 Montage
Toxic Euphoria Halo 2 Montage
Arkive Montage 3
Titan VIII Montage 4
Halzred Montage 5
B Sik Montage 6
The Dead Serious Tage
Zola's Trinity
Phurion "Into The Trance"
Phurion "Breathe"
GuN Sh0t Montage 2
Hysteria's and Eli's "The Wicked End"
Bradddddddddddd - Montage 2
Midpoint "A Gamer Grows Up"

DJ Gunner

My initial thought when playable CE was announced is that there's no way it can't feel different due to reworking the netcode. I'm personally thrilled to be able to play it at all, but since you can't reproduce the feel of LAN over XBL- there's got to be differences. Those who have played CE the most will notice them immediately, I would guess.

For example - see the Waypoint stats page. First thing everyone did was disable background animation because it really hindered reading the stats.
It's evident that the UI comes first. But my post was focusing mainly on the background on the start menu from when you press start to the main menu. Everything else like stats and lobbies should be kept simple with the static background using the H2A concept art for ex. they've used in the video during the IGN & Gamespot interviews with Dan & Franklez.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member

I mean, one huge bug in Halo 2 was the fact that only the host had full physics. That bug will more than likely be fixed now. This changes the game in a big way already, even without fixing button combos.

Offer us something new. Offer us the intended Halo 2 sandbox that couldn't be fixed due to limitations of the original Xbox.

That sounds like the most boring version of H2. You say it like the original intended fixed version is somehow better. The button glitches provided the largest skill ceiling as well as the most entertaining way to play.

Madness

I don't know, maybe during the lead up to Halo 5 launch, and after the sales bump and hype from the MC Collection has died down, they could do a PC release of the collection. Just to get whole bunch of PC Halo fans excited again, playing Halo.

Watching some H2 cutscenes and HOLY SHIT at the texture pop up, there's one moment you can even see chief's whole model appear on screen from thin air haha

Can't wait to see the CGI cutscenes, they nailed how Sgt. Johnson looks.

Top Bottom