• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: Review Thread

Miles X

Just because someone, or a lot of people like it, doesn't make it great either. It's garbage to me, but I don't profess to saying anything but my opinion.

So there is nothing in between? It doesn't have to be great to not be garbage. You just dislike it, that's all there is too it.

As I say everytime this gets up,

Do you really want someone to review the game who isn't excited about it?

Games are fun. I was that excited for skyrim, i wanted reviewed by someone who is that excited.

Thank you, I completely agree.

There are definite problems with the industry, but a writer expressing excitement over a highly anticipated video game (such villainy...) in an obviously tongue in cheek manner is down the very very bottom of the scale.

Looking forward to these - will hopefully get to read a few before I go to class. If my calculations are correct then 3am EST is currently 7am GMT.

It's gonna be a "great" game, but it's Halo so I don't expect to like it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Interesting. I expect it to be reviewed well, received well, and to similarly be displeased with it. That's just the way it goes with me and Halo, get further and further disenchanted with subsequent iterations as they change it and tweak it and add to it and subtract from it and craft some pretty ho-hum, unimaginative plots along the way. I'll buy it, of course, because I still want to believe. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me, can't get fooled again.

UberTag

I'm expecting review scores that surpass the lofty standard set by GTA IV.
Low 97 average here we come. (Whether the game deserves it or not is a non-issue).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They're not consumers like us. They should be doing their jobs and not having "fun". Are they children or are they professionals? If they have anything good to say about the game then they aren't journalist and are simply PR. I will not take any reviews with anything but what the publisher doesn't want me to know as a respectable piece of journalism. This industry is totally compromised and we are kept in the dark by back-room unions of puppets and their anus dilating masters who reach from down deep to move the hands and jaws of would be game journalists to proselytize their marketing plans. I've been unsure for years but I'm almost 100% positive that the only good games are those that don't review well and that go un-marketed. That's the sign of a just product that has shaken off the hands of its maker and has refused the dead hands of journalism. They've been labeled as games that were sent to die but these games can die honorably knowing that they have my trust and respect. That's all that matters when all is said and done.

The whole concept of a game at it's very core is enjoyment

Fracas

#fuckonami
Provide examples or reasons.

You just opened the floodgate, man.

Also, this isn't really the place for this. This is a Halo 4 review thread, not a detailed look at why Reach multiplayer is terrible thread. We have a community thread for all things Halo at the moment, people would be glad to discuss it there

They're not consumers like us. They should be doing their jobs and not having "fun". Are they children or are they professionals? If they have anything good to say about the game then they aren't journalist and are simply PR. I will not take any reviews with anything but what the publisher doesn't want me to know as a respectable piece of journalism. This industry is totally compromised and we are kept in the dark by back-room unions of puppets and their anus dilating masters who reach from down deep to move the hands and jaws of would be game journalists to proselytize their marketing plans. I've been unsure for years but I'm almost 100% positive that the only good games are those that don't review well and that go un-marketed. That's the sign of a just product that has shaken off the hands of its maker and has refused the dead hands of journalism. They've been labeled as games that were sent to die but these games can die honorably knowing that they have my trust and respect. That's all that matters when all is said and done.

They're games enthusiasts and not much different from the idiots you probably have on your ignore list on internet forums, and never should you assume any different. If you want real journalism, listen to NPR.

Why does everyone take that gif so damn seriously? Or am I missing out on something here?

And listen, I'm all for relative impartiality when it comes to reviewing video games, but I also want passionate writers who enjoy what they do - not a bunch of inanimate talking heads.

It's enthusiast media, I want some damn enthusiasts. I don't care if Justin was excited to play Skyrim, because I'd imagine that almost every writer out there is anticipating something or bursting to play an upcoming release.

You can't complain about the industry being 'simply PR' when you're seemingly against the idea of personality or passion being showcased - this is games journalism, not hard political reporting.

No way is this game getting higher than 93!

There's no such thing as a perfect game so the closer a game gets to 100, the more I question the reviewer's integrity. I personally wouldn't trust any reviewers who give this game above an 85 knowing how vigilant we are of gaming journalism at the moment.

Miles X

There's no such thing as a perfect game so the closer a game gets to 100, the more I question the reviewer's integrity. I personally wouldn't trust any reviewers who give this game above an 85 knowing how vigilant we are of gaming journalism at the moment.

lol 'we'? are you being sarcastic? I very much doubt what we here think is on the top of most reviewers minds when reviewing Halo 4...

Why does everyone take that gif so damn seriously? Or am I missing out on something here?

And listen, I'm all for relative impartiality when it comes to reviewing video games, but I also want passionate writers who enjoy what they do - not a bunch of inanimate talking heads.

It's enthusiast media, I want some damn enthusiasts. I don't care if Justin was excited to play Skyrim, because I'd imagine that almost every writer out there is anticipating something or bursting to play an upcoming release.
It's fine they being 'enthusiasts,' the problem is when they totally buy into the marketing hype machine around a 'AAA' title and become willing collaborators in the over hype, giving mediocre games 10/10, along with paragraphs worth of marketing blurbs.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I should say... I want reviewers who find enjoyment playing any game on any platform

Though it is sometimes impossible to hide bias or maintain neutrality

Provide examples or reasons.
to give an abridged version because i'm not sure how much i want to invest on posting about it at the moment: it had the lowest count and quality of starting maps, forge world made for a lot of poorly performing and ugly maps (not even delving into the quality of the maps designs themselves there), the introduction of reticle bloom made for precision weapon duels turning into a gamble, AAs each broke elements of maps or encounters in their own way (hologram excluded), frag grenades are nukes and slower player movement make them impossible to avoid, the banshee is just ridiculous, i mean it just really botched the fundamentals. there were improvements in the TU, but it's still a mess of a game.

So there is nothing in between? It doesn't have to be great to not be garbage. You just dislike it, that's all there is too it.
there can be plenty in between, and plenty of games i just dislike or feel indifferent to, but i truly consider it a pox on the series and garbage overall.

edit: as monsterfracas mentioned, yeah this isn't the place for this so i'll drop it here before this gets derailed any further. go to the community thread if you want to see all the reach bashing to your heart's content.

The whole concept of a game at it's very core is enjoyment

They're games enthusiasts and not much different from the idiots you probably have on your ignore list on internet forums, and never should you assume any different. If you want real journalism, listen to NPR.

You can't complain about the industry being 'simply PR' when you're seemingly against the idea of personality or passion being showcased - this is games journalism, not hard political reporting.

The whole shit is fucked up! So many of the complaint are so far beyond unreasonable that I couldn't tell if my sarcasm detector was broken or not. It looks like your all in the same boat.

Lunchbox

Banned
Wait, did reviewers have access to the initial serving of Spartan Ops?

H5BnQ.jpg

It's fine they being 'enthusiasts,' the problem is when they totally buy into the marketing hype machine around a 'AAA' title and become willing collaborators in the over hype, giving mediocre games 10/10, along with paragraphs worth of marketing blurbs.

Is this referring to his Skyrim review in particular?

I haven't read it, but he obviously enjoyed it (as did millions of other gamers). I was damn excited to play Skyrim, and I bet others were too.

But a writer posts an obviously lighthearted video and it's suddenly damning evidence of the corruption in the industry. As I said before, there are problems out there - but I've always believed that hanging on to something like this is really really reaching.

sikkinixx

Interesting. I expect it to be reviewed well, received well, and to similarly be displeased with it. That's just the way it goes with me and Halo, get further and further disenchanted with subsequent iterations as they change it and tweak it and add to it and subtract from it and craft some pretty ho-hum, unimaginative plots along the way. I'll buy it, of course, because I still want to believe. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me, can't get fooled again.

Which is fine in that I (and it sounds like you) appreciate that it's just not a game suited to my interests and while doing nothing "wrong" it just flies over my head while the series is venerated as a pillar of gaming.

... but I'll probably end up buying it and end up getting mad at myself just like with Reach, and ODST and Halo 3.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
fuck embargoes
I give this game a 10
microsoft can sue me

Squire

Banned

I haven't read it, but he obviously enjoyed it (as did millions of other gamers). I was damn excited to play Skyrim, and I bet others were too.

But a writer posts an obviously lighthearted video and it's suddenly damning evidence of the corruption in the industry. As I said before, there are problems out there - but I've always believed that hanging on to something like this is really really reaching.

A large portion of the Internet can't take a joke. It's really that simple.

No, but using that gif as an image of what I'm referring to in general works.
I was damn excited to play Skyrim, got it day one. Then I experienced the shitty combat, crafting, and magic system, along with ugly low res textures, quest bugs, etc. Day one... I had buyer's remorse.
It doesn't help that it's Timebelt Boy. If that were someone else with more... 'cred' I guess, it would likely be different.

lol 'we'? are you being sarcastic? I very much doubt what we here think is on the top of most reviewers minds when reviewing Halo 4...

We as in the internet man, the users of truth and the balancing weights of justice. You see our hands in the user's review on Metacritic and the review section of Amazon. We rise up and press down the oppressive forces of corporationism and its branch churches, the gaming press when they get out of line. Do you think we on NeoGaf are alone? Look at Youtube comment sections and twitter and you will see our hands and our tweets. Our presence is in every word and it shall not be taken lightly for we are not alone and we will be heard.

LQX

Wow, so many are seemingly giving the game backlash already. My goodness. I wonder if the ones dismissing the review scores before they are out even planned to get the game. I doubt it. Go shit up another thread.

berva

Neo Member
Wow, so many are seemingly giving the game backlash already. My goodness. I wonder if the ones dismissing the review scores before they are out even planned to get the game. I doubt it. Go shit up another thread.

The single player game is simply not that good. There is only so much good story telling can hold a game together. Level design in Halo 4 Single player game is kind of bad.

Oersted

Based on this thread, it is more joking about the reviews than "shitting" on the game. There is a difference, you know that.

Objectivism = indifference? Next time he should hold up Elders Scrolls VI, go "Meh" and make a gif of that then.

Yes, actually. The reviewer should not give two shits about what he or she is reviewing up until the game/movie/book/refrigerator sells itself to the reviewer, not the other way around.

The movie critic should say "Okay, I'm going to see some movie today. So what?" And then, if the movie has merit, the movie and not the reviewer will answer that question. Then, after that process is over, the reviewer will write his review and try to explain to the potential customers the same question: "so what?"

It's not entirely objective (humans are not robots). But it's not at all subjective.

Fjordson

The single player game is simply not that good. There is only so much good story telling can hold a game together. Level design in Halo 4 Single player game is kind of bad.
Really? Some rough spots, or consistently bad?

(not being snarky, genuinely interested)

Vire

Please tell me more of this game you've "played".

gTcnw.png

cfD70.png

Fjordson

Note this is the guy who said he would be surprised if the game got higher than a 7.9 anywhere.
True, but I'm just curious for some impressions since single-player is really the main draw for me these days. That is, if he's actually played it.

Top Bottom