• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Cover Art Revealed

Who the hell is Locke?

What the hell is 'Blue Team'?

Did I miss something huge after Halo 4? I haven't been keeping up admittedly but I feel hugely in the dark.

yup chief was actually indoctrinated by the reapers

It's a book thing that hopefully will be explained in-game

the cover's kinda boring, but the teal and orange contrast works here to illustrate the differences between the two characters. it's probably why they gave locke a blue visor to begin with.

Halo 4's cover was stronger, if not slightly busy.

hawk2025

The focus on Locke is really crazy. His stupid armour aside, why do they think this unknown dude deserves to get equal billing with chief. If there was a spin off game with him in it before Halo 5 comes out, it'd make sense but it just looks like they're trying to push this random dude.

They probably figured the TV show was enough to spin up interest in him.

abadguy

Banned
The focus on Locke is really crazy. His stupid armour aside, why do they think this unknown dude deserves to get equal billing with chief. If there was a spin off game with him in it before Halo 5 comes out, it'd make sense but it just looks like they're trying to push this random dude.

Seeing as how he will play a major part in the actual story , why wouldn't there be focus on him?

Lovd the cover, so glad it's not the trend of a single soldier walking towards the view or away. Tired of that one particular visual.

But fucking Blue Team! I take it that means in 4 player co-op, each player will be able to control Chief, Fred, Linda or Kelly? It was kind of jarring to go from individual characters in three, and technically Reach, to Chief clones again. I also want to know who Locke's team will be. I need to catch up on the Lore.

Zareka

yup chief was actually indoctrinated by the reapers

It's a book thing that hopefully will be explained in-game

Locke got introduced in the live action series Halo: Nightfall.

Also from Halo 2 Anniversary.
Oh, right. I haven't read the books, watched the TV show or played H2A (a case of the vanishing co-op partner) yet so that'll explain why I'm so clueless about these people. I'll have to at least get round to playing Halo 2.
Locke was introduced in Reach and everyone hated him.
Are you sure? I played a ton of Reach and don't have a single memory of anyone called Locke. I could be wrong though.

Banned
quick mockup

1qz23St.png

Better than another fucking humanoid person walking towards the camera with a gun.

Or crouched over with 2 fucking guns...seriously what the hell Treyarch, stop that.

jelly

It's not the best. They certainly had a fuck it, that'll do moment.

Needs Johnson or Palmer in the middle, break it up boys.

Seeing as how he will play a major part in the actual story , why wouldn't there be focus on him?

It just seems really odd to have such a huge focus on a character the majority of the audience haven't seen yet. All the marketing so far has been "be prepared for these two guys to square off", but that only works if you know/care who the two guys are. It's like getting a champion boxer to fight an unknown and billing it as the fight of the century. Or I guess in video game terms, if MGS 2 was advertised as a game about Raiden and Snake, people would of been like "who the hell is this long haired guy and why should I care?".

All the Locke stuff might turn out great but I think they're expecting the audience to care far too much about what'll most likely be a supporting character.

abadguy

Banned
It just seems really odd to have such a huge focus on a character the majority of the audience haven't seen yet. All the marketing so far has been "be prepared for these two guys to square off", but that only works if you know/care who the two guys are. It's like getting a champion boxer to fight an unknown and billing it as the fight of the century. Or I guess in video game terms, if MGS 2 was advertised as a game about Raiden and Snake, people would of been like "who the hell is this long haired guy and why should I care?".

All the Locke stuff might turn out great but I think they're expecting the audience to care far too much about what'll most likely be a supporting character.

Fair enough.

Mrbob

Versus cover is alright, if not standard. Look the contrast between blue and orange.

Who the hell is Locke?

What the hell is 'Blue Team'?

Did I miss something huge after Halo 4? I haven't been keeping up admittedly but I feel hugely in the dark.

I'm in the same boat. Have no interest in watching Nightfall or reading any Halo books. 343 better explain the storyline right away from the beginning.

Jeff-DSA

I'm in the same boat. Have no interest in watching Nightfall or reading any Halo books. 343 better explain the storyline right away from the beginning.

Same here. I don't have time or energy for the expanded universe and I can't say that I like the idea of it so heavily influencing the game's story unless it's very clearly explained.

Lingitiz

Halo 5 to end with Master Chief raising the hand of a smiling Locke with a "please like this guy" face.

Well, I mean the TV trailers were 50% Locke.. I guess more than 50% since he was in both, but the focus was equally between him and Chief. He's being billed as the antagonist (I guess) at the moment to our favorite Chief, so it stands to reason that we don't/shouldn't know too much about him. (Covenant was mysterious Aliens at first/etc)

The MCC reveal had some Locke information, but it was formatted in such a way as to give his character some purpose (finding Chief), but framed in a way where he's interacting with an existing character (Arbiter) so we're not totally blindsided by the new character.

Otherwise, the Halo 5 reveal (originally) just had Chief and big Birdy. Nightfall is it's own thing, and while it introduces us to Locke, can't be expected people would have seen it, or care about it I guess.

#HUNTtheTRUTH hasn't mentioned Locke at all yet.

I see the poster the same as if it was Chief vs the Covenant or whatever he was facing. It's just unique since he's facing other humans for the first time (that we've seen in the games, insurrectionists notwithstanding).

blamite

The wide version is pretty awesome, but the box art version is so empty and boring. I'd honestly prefer the upside-down Chief version they showed months ago.

Well, I mean the TV trailers were 50% Locke.. I guess more than 50% since he was in both, but the focus was equally between him and Chief. He's being billed as the antagonist (I guess) at the moment to our favorite Chief, so it stands to reason that we don't/shouldn't know too much about him. (Covenant was mysterious Aliens at first/etc)

The MCC reveal had some Locke information, but it was formatted in such a way as to give his character some purpose (finding Chief), but framed in a way where he's interacting with an existing character (Arbiter) so we're not totally blindsided by the new character.

Otherwise, the Halo 5 reveal (originally) just had Chief and big Birdy. Nightfall is it's own thing, and while it introduces us to Locke, can't be expected people would have seen it, or care about it I guess.

#HUNTtheTRUTH hasn't mentioned Locke at all yet.

I see the poster the same as if it was Chief vs the Covenant or whatever he was facing. It's just unique since he's facing other humans for the first time (that we've seen in the games, insurrectionists notwithstanding).

Yeah, that's fair. Admittedly, I haven't really been following anything Halo other than the ads and promotional things they're putting out for 5 so its entirely possible I'm misreading their intent for the character.

Hey, haven't seen you and your constant negativity for a while, welcome back.

On the covert art, I like the design much better than the previous. Very interested to see what's coming at E3.

Sign me up for the french fry mcflurry IV drip, where we gladly hype the uninspired games put out by 1st party publishers.

The film industry knows what it's doing right now with its biggest most expensive films, while the video game industry seems to be (by and large) running most AAA straight into the ground.

This box art is emblematic of how uninspired the 343i's game design philosophy is. Looming ugly promethean enemy in the background that looks like a tribal tattoo. And ripping a page out of Halo circa 2004 by introducing a foe who is clearly not a foe (the Arbiter). Although this time, it's even less inspired because instead of controlling a cool alien creature, your controlling yet another shitty cookie cutter space marine character.

From what I'm reading here, 343i is going to need to do a HELL of a job on exposition for Halo 5: Guardians.

They can't afford repeat Halo 4 where they introduce a major antagonist with barely any explanation about who he is, besides "He's in the books!"

Especially now, since they've effectively tripled their work. They've gotta introduce new players to:

Agent Jameson Locke (For those who didn't watch Nightfall or play Halo 2 Anniversary)

Blue Team (Fred, Kelly and Linda have been known to Halo geeks for ages, but their not known to the general population, a failing of Bungie's Halo era I'd say.)

Locke's Fireteam (Romeo, Buck, Tanaka(?) and/or Macer(?))

I hope they're up to it. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, going by how well they've merged expanded lore with the Hunt the Truth podcasts, but ... I'm still worried.

Hopefully Locke's role isn't prominent. Don't give a damn about him. Just give me more chief

His role is clearly very prominent, based on everything we've seen since Halo 5's reveal.

I'm really not sure why 343i handles storytelling they way they do though. The books and other Halo media should be used to enhance the universe, not be required to understand what's going on in the main entries.

From what I'm reading here, 343i is going to need to do a HELL of a job on exposition for Halo 5: Guardians.

They can't afford repeat Halo 4 where they introduce a major antagonist with barely any explanation about who he is, besides "He's in the books!"

Especially now, since they've effectively tripled their work. They've gotta introduce new players to:

Agent Jameson Locke (For those who didn't watch Nightfall or play Halo 2 Anniversary)

Blue Team (Fred, Kelly and Linda have been known to Halo geeks for ages, but their not known to the general population, a failing of Bungie's Halo era I'd say.)

Locke's Fireteam (Romeo, Buck, Tanaka(?) and/or Macer(?))

I hope they're up to it. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, going by how well they've merged expanded lore with the Hunt the Truth podcasts, but ... I'm still worried.

There's going to be a hell of a lot of knockoff Hans Zimmer music. A vague prologue scene about betrayal, and some "heartbreaking" scenes where we see our beloved protagonist in a new light (that is completely unfitting with the original spirit of the first three games).

Everything that followed ODST in the Halo universe is like the George Lucas Star Wars prequels.

I wonder if Locke will actually be the real, main villan in Halo 6. I see a lot of people, including myself, thinking by the end of Halo 5 him and Chief will somehow be on the same side but what if he's not? Like what if he is the main bad dude in Halo 6

There's going to be a hell of a lot of knockoff Hans Zimmer music. A vague prologue scene about betrayal, and some "heartbreaking" scenes where we see our beloved protagonist in a new light (that is completely unfitting with the original spirit of the first three games).

Everything that followed ODST in the Halo universe is like the George Lucas Star Wars prequels.

Knockoff Hans Zimmer music? I can tell you're no musician just by that statement.

Sign me up for the french fry mcflurry IV drip, where we gladly hype the uninspired games put out by 1st party publishers.

The film industry knows what it's doing right now with its biggest most expensive films, while the video game industry seems to be (by and large) running most AAA straight into the ground.

This box art is emblematic of how uninspired the 343i's game design philosophy is. Looming ugly promethean enemy in the background that looks like a tribal tattoo. And ripping a page out of Halo circa 2004 by introducing a foe who is clearly not a foe (the Arbiter). Although this time, it's even less inspired because instead of controlling a cool alien creature, your controlling yet another shitty cookie cutter space marine character.

What in the world? The general concept of Halo, of a super soldier that fights alien monsters to save humanity is what... an original inspiring tale never seen before? Why complain now with Halo 5... Oh yeah its 343 and you, so why the fuck not? Plenty of games out where with unoriginal worlds/stories which still manage to have the best story (TLOU?).

"This box art is emblematic of how uninspired the 343i's game design philosophy is." Wow, un-aware or purposely ignorant?

XpUkoSK.jpg

(wow hero points at screen with gun

18990_front.jpg

(wow hero looks into this distance in heroic pose)

1191527200-00.jpg

(wow hero has another heroic pose)

But hey, lets SPECIFICALLY complain about 343, and not act like its not been a thing in the past???

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Nicolas+Cage+Laugh+GIF.gif

Top Bottom