• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Cover Art Revealed

Fotos

I thought this was going to be the box art:

halo5_2d_rp-boxshot_lhs_rgb_final.png

That was just a placeholder. They said that when they released that pictyure

Locke reeks of bad fan-fiction. His armour design, his whole mission/vendetta; it's disgusting. His existence can fuck off into the No Dimension with nothing of value lost.

Just reunite Blue Team with Master Chief already, so he can finally be with his real OG sniper-waifu Linda and give me Mas Chief 2: The Fall of Mas Chief. That's the game I want.

Sorry, Kelly.

I really do not understand the Locke hate, he seems pretty interesting to me. Plus the idea of playing as someone hunting down the Chief sounds pretty exciting

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I really do not understand the Locke hate, he seems pretty interesting to me. Plus the idea of playing as someone hunting down the Chief sounds pretty exciting

Agreed. A LOT better than the Didact storyline that only those that read the books really ever understood. At least this seems clear, Locke wants Chief dead.

Also the re-introduction of Chief's squad of Spartan II's, The Arbiter, Halsey, and more makes me fell like this is much more a sequel to Halo 3, and much less a sequel to Halo 4.

Yeah same here, we really don't KNOW much anyways.

In the H2A cut scenes he's not "hunting" down 117, he's trying to 'get him back', which, while technically not a whole lot different, is separate when you consider his motives. He also says he wants to learn 117's reasoning for going AWOL. So he's not just some 'vendetta hitman' or whatever.

The TV spots are purposefully vague/misleading as well, as they're from two different perspectives. There is so much we DON'T know, which is GOOD, as I don't want to be spoiled on every little detail ahead of time (like movie trailers do these days).

Agreed. A LOT better than the Didact storyline that only those that read the books really ever understood. At least this seems clear, Locke wants Chief dead.

Also the re-introduction of Chief's squad of Spartan II's, The Arbiter, Halsey, and more makes me fell like this is much more a sequel to Halo 3, and much less a sequel to Halo 4.

wait I thought Locke was just tracking down the chief? I thought he didn't have a kill order.

Sign me up for the french fry mcflurry IV drip, where we gladly hype the uninspired games put out by 1st party publishers.

The film industry knows what it's doing right now with its biggest most expensive films, while the video game industry seems to be (by and large) running most AAA straight into the ground.

This box art is emblematic of how uninspired the 343i's game design philosophy is. Looming ugly promethean enemy in the background that looks like a tribal tattoo. And ripping a page out of Halo circa 2004 by introducing a foe who is clearly not a foe (the Arbiter). Although this time, it's even less inspired because instead of controlling a cool alien creature, your controlling yet another shitty cookie cutter space marine character.

why am I not surprised to see you in here... spreading your 343 hate.

My money's on the dude on the right. He's got like TWICE the field of vision!

Also, wtf? By sheer body volume in the shot MC looks completely dominating. Actually, the center art isn't even centered. Why is it not centered?! Huh. So it's probably deliberate. C'mon Microsoft! Your protagonist is supposed to be on the back foot and not crushing his/her foe before you even install the game.

Estocolmo

Looking pretty great.

However people talking shit about Locke should be happy that 343 is at least trying something different. It's that same mentality that relegated the Arbiter to a measly player 2 option in Halo 3 (which I'll never forgive Bungie for). It'd be easy to exploit nostalgia and make every game Master Chief shooting covenant, but they're trying to do something different with the story. Obviously you won't have the emotional attachment that you do with Chief, but that's kinda how new characters work.

I agree with you completely. I am a big fan of Halo and love every game they have made and I'm looking forward to play a new formula. A second protagonist (Locke) that is hunting Master Chief with their respective teams is such a great idea. 343 is taking care of the Halo franchise (no dont quote me on this because Halo MCC was 5 games shoved down on their throats).

OR BETTER YET, why didn't they make it so that it was LINDA/Blue Team was the one who was hunting him down, instead of Locke?

Imagine the grand reveal when Master Chief, all shot-up and sniped from gods-know-where, is lying broken beside that statue in the trailer, then a figure approaches; taking her helmet off to reveal it was Linda who shot him, having finally tracked him down and cornered him.

The superiors sent Blue Team to hunt him down because they thought that their pre-existing history with the Chief would help to persuade him to come back from being AWOL; but, Chief for whatever reason has to do his chosen mission, and Blue Team & Linda would be forced to stop him. She had been simply following orders from her superiors/Locke's superiors like she was trained to, despite her great reluctance to hunt her old teammate.

Then, we could have had some character drama + development and real angst for both her and the Master Chief.

The old-guard Expanded Universe fandom would've went insane with the nod and the new-blood/Games Only fans would be none the wiser, yet still be able to appreciate a new character (to them) who actually had some pre-existing history with the Chief.

:/

OR BETTER YET, why didn't they make it so that it was LINDA/Blue Team was the one who was hunting him down, instead of Locke?

Because after all they've been through, Linda/Blue Team would never, EVER go on a mission to actively hunt Chief. They would never betray the Chief. Book readers know this. It would have been a terrible idea.

TheXbox

Looks like a placeholder tbh. I think it would be cool if they had two versions with different packaging - one with Locke, one with Chief, each with his opposite's team inset in the middle.

abadguy

Banned

Same here. Then again i don't really get the Palmer hate either but at least it's actually built on something. I know very little about Locke ( haven't seen Nightfall yet) so i am not seeing why he's so hated. Whatever. Can't wait to finally see gameplay from SP.

Because after all they've been through, Linda/Blue Team would never, EVER go on a mission to actively hunt Chief. They would never betray the Chief. Book readers know this. It would have been a terrible idea.

A plot situation can easily be concocted to justify their potential hunting of the Chief.

What if Chief's actions in Halo 5 resulted in the murder of millions of humans? Endangered millions more in the pursuit of whatever his Halo 5 mission is?

Blue Team are still Spartans, soldiers, who have to follow orders. Would they risk disobeying the orders of their superiors by NOT hunting the Chief if ordered to do so, since not hunting would mean going against the values of loyalty to the UNSC and humanity that has been drilled into them since childhood?

If their superiors indeed turned to their other assets, such as Locke, to hunt/kill the Chief, would Blue Team risk themselves and their positions in the UNSC to stop Locke, or stop the Chief?

This could have been a chance for high-potential character development, and it was squandered (edit) by using an unknown in the form of Locke and not Blue Team to hunt the Chief down.

Majanew

Banned
Yep. I have no idea what's going on in Halo.

That's because of the god awful storytelling in the Halo games that Bungie, and now 343, have been doing. I hope Halo 5 doesn't recommend reading a fucking book to understand what the hell is going on or who someone is. It's like an excuse for their shit writing in the games.

Imagine the grand reveal when Master Chief, all shot-up and sniped from gods-know-where, is lying broken beside that statue in the trailer, then a figure approaches; taking her helmet off to reveal it was Linda who shot him, having finally tracked him down and cornered him.

The superiors sent Blue Team to hunt him down because they thought that their pre-existing history with the Chief would help to persuade him to come back from being AWOL; but, Chief for whatever reason has to do his chosen mission, and Blue Team & Linda would be forced to stop him. She had been simply following orders from her superiors/Locke's superiors like she was trained to, despite her great reluctance to hunt her old teammate.

Then, we could have had some character drama + development and real angst for both her and the Master Chief.

The old-guard Expanded Universe fandom would've went insane with the nod and the new-blood/Games Only fans would be none the wiser, yet still be able to appreciate a new character (to them) who actually had some pre-existing history with the Chief.

:/

Because that makes no sense? Blue Team wouldn't betray John.

I have a feeling master chief will be played down in this game and might actually be put out of commission in order to make a great comeback in halo 6.

A plot situation can easily be concocted to justify their potential hunting of the Chief.

What if Chief's actions in Halo 5 resulted in the murder of millions of humans? Endangered millions more in the pursuit of whatever his Halo 5 mission is?

Blue Team are still Spartans, soldiers, who have to follow orders. Would they risk disobeying the orders of their superiors by NOT hunting the Chief if ordered to do so, since not hunting would mean going against the values of loyalty to the UNSC and humanity that has been drilled into them since childhood?

This could have been a chance for high-potential character development, and it was squandered.
Chief disobeyed orders himself in Halo 4, there's no reason to assume Linda, Fred and crew who were by his side since they were kids, are straight up machines with no attachment to him. Maybe it's more prudent to wait and see what they've come up with in the game before proclaiming things were "squandered".

Sign me up for the french fry mcflurry IV drip, where we gladly hype the uninspired games put out by 1st party publishers.

The film industry knows what it's doing right now with its biggest most expensive films, while the video game industry seems to be (by and large) running most AAA straight into the ground.

This box art is emblematic of how uninspired the 343i's game design philosophy is. Looming ugly promethean enemy in the background that looks like a tribal tattoo. And ripping a page out of Halo circa 2004 by introducing a foe who is clearly not a foe (the Arbiter). Although this time, it's even less inspired because instead of controlling a cool alien creature, your controlling yet another shitty cookie cutter space marine character.

There's going to be a hell of a lot of knockoff Hans Zimmer music. A vague prologue scene about betrayal, and some "heartbreaking" scenes where we see our beloved protagonist in a new light (that is completely unfitting with the original spirit of the first three games).

Everything that followed ODST in the Halo universe is like the George Lucas Star Wars prequels.

You're a bundle of fun. I'd love to see you make a halo game, it would be fantastic.

If their superiors indeed turned to their other assets, such as Locke, to hunt/kill the Chief, would Blue Team risk themselves and their positions in the UNSC to stop Locke, or stop the Chief?

This could have been a chance for high-potential character development, and it was squandered (edit) by using an unknown in the form of Locke and not Blue Team to hunt the Chief down.

You seem to know a lot about the Halo 5 story line, mind sharing a few details with us since you know stuff no one but 343 know?

Omni

If this is actual box art then it really doesn't work for me. It's so obviously a crop.

Works well as a big wallpaper but meh. Place-holder was leagues above this. It's almost shocking.

99% of the audience will have no idea who this character is or why it matters.

Chief disobeyed orders himself in Halo 4, there's no reason to assume Linda, Fred and crew who were by his side since they were kids, are straight up machines with no attachment to him. Maybe it's more prudent to wait and see what they've come up with in the game before proclaiming things were "squandered".

Not to mention fans have wanted to see John with Blue Team in the games for a LONG time

If 343 had made Blue Team antagonist that would have been bull shit and there would have been serious rage.

I mean just the thought of seeing John and Blue Team reunited and together again makes me so excited

def sim

So ask a question.

I don't know if there's a specific question to ask. Halo 4 confused me when having to read the books or watching a separate thing on waypoint was needed for exposition. Now we have these two teams, some members coming from books (comics?) taking sides and fighting each other. Without having seen any more than the games, I know for sure that master chief is miffed about his A.I. companion (love interest?), Cortana, dying and now he's exploring space for something. He probably went AWOL.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Space sex, drugs and rock'n'roll.

I think I should just accept this as canon and give up on trying to understand the story.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

This could have been a chance for high-potential character development, and it was squandered.
So, the game ends with the Chief dead or in custody and a new protagonist is introduced for Halo 6? Your idea would lead to interesting character development for Blue Team, but it would destroy the character of the Master Chief.

Because that makes no sense? Blue Team wouldn't betray John.

But Halo 5 has the potential to be used to discover exactly what kind of circumstances would drive such long-standing teammates to turn against each other and their leader, the Chief.

I honestly don't see that kind of high-profile protagonist character development being possible with the unknown factor Locke being used as the Chief's antagonist.

Note: I know I'm wrongly talking about Halo 5 as if I've played it already and know all the plot details, but it's just a matter of brain convenience to me to refer to Halo 5 in the past tense while I type (still doesn't justify anything but ehhh).

I don't know if there's a specific question to ask. Halo 4 confused me when having to read the books or watching a separate thing on waypoint was needed for exposition. Now we have these two teams, some members coming from books (comics?) taking sides and fighting each other. Without having seen any more than the games, I know for sure that master chief is miffed about his A.I. companion (love interest?), Cortana, dying and now he's exploring space for something. He probably went AWOL.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

To be honest once I read the master chief escalation bit (which is like 2-3 issues), and watched the Spartan OP's cinematic, a lot started to make sense. I'm hoping Halo 5 will have some terminals explaining the link or whatever.

Is it true that Locke's team are the guys from ODST?

Because if we have:

Locke and the ODST crew
Vs
Chief and Blue Team

I may have my mind blown

Estocolmo

So, the game ends with the Chief dead or in custody and a new protagonist is introduced for Halo 6? Your idea would lead to interesting character development for Blue Team, but it would destroy the character of the Master Chief.

I think they are tricking us to believe that Master Chief is going to be hunted and eventually killed in Halo 5, but thats not going to happen. Maybe Locke almost kills MC but in the end MC somehow survives.

Just my speculations.

Hype rising

Now make the MCC $30 already so I can get back into that universe
Uh, it's been $33-35 for months now. That wouldn't even be considered a sale at this point.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSQHX1K/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Delicious. Better than "epic action hero pose with fire and debris".
I agree entirely! That the image isn't centered is annoying me probably waaaaaay more than it should. In a fictional "versus" setting the protagonist needs to always be equal size or smaller.

Not to mention fans have wanted to see John with Blue Team in the games for a LONG time

If 343 had made Blue Team antagonist that would have been bull shit and there would have been serious rage.

I mean just the thought of seeing John and Blue Team reunited and together again makes me so excited

I count myself as one of those fans, but I'm really worried about how they're going to introduce Blue Team into the fold.

If Locke has the official backing of the UNSC behind him and his mission, wouldn't that mean that Blue Team would be considered traitors to the UNSC by helping the Chief in his quest?

Could Blue Team stomach that, having been in service to the UNSC for their entire lives? Are they willing to sacrifice that for the greater good of humanity that the Chief seems to be pursuing?

By making Blue Team the antagonist instead, we'd have solid character development of Blue Team as a whole, instead of having them relegated to mere side characters like they seem to be in Halo 5.

Top Bottom