• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

BraXzy

Haha you and your descaling. They need to implement a scale tool just for you :)

I'm really looking forward to the finished product. Btw can I get your advice on my Breakout map next time I'm on?

belushy

Banned
Out of interest, were you welding as well as grouping? It seems like that may be the cause for some issues.

Niiiiiiice. Looking a little more polished than last time I saw it. Love the aesthetic of it. Don't forget I'm here day or night to help test it :)

No, but I did have an group inside of another group.

Haha you and your descaling. They need to implement a scale tool just for you :)

I'm really looking forward to the finished product. Btw can I get your advice on my Breakout map next time I'm on?

it's gotta feel cozy.

i'll be able to check out stuff either tomorrow evening or this weekend.

Well, Forge has already eaten two of my backup maps so i'm not bothering trying to get the animations working again tonight, but tl;dr I'm working on a doubles map for that ForgeHub contest and one of the key features of the map is a "bi-crane" set to rotate at relatively frequent intervals. A bridge / platform similar to Fathom's top mid is nestled between the base of either crane, but due to its rotation, it'll be opening up one of the map's axes at any given time. In addition to this (illustrated in a super basic way with the cargo boxes) the cranes themselves have hanging platforms that will, likewise, go along with the rotation of the map. A clip of the design (albeit static) is available here. I haven't been able to get the rotations working all night, though - once you go a certain size with moving parts it has a tendency to just do whatever the hell it wants.

Zoolader

Anybody have a High Ground map they are working on? I started working on one last night and don't know how true I should stay to the original.

55251233.jpg

Strider

had a request to do a walkthrough of Genesis with commentary so here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxi0Cis_J6U

It's a great looking map. I love where it's headed. Simply navigating the map seems like it'd be a joy and a love the thought put into all the sightlines.

But it does seem like it'd be an absolute bitch to use thrusters mid enagagement on this map. So many smaller platforms and so much verticality. Feel like I'd get in a gunfight, thrust to the side and end up either off the map or in some random place I didn't mean to go lol of course that's tough to design around because I'd also complain if my movement was restricted in any way by random objects/walls :p

It's a great looking map. I love where it's headed. Simply navigating the map seems like it'd be a joy and a love the thought put into all the sightlines.

But it does seem like it'd be an absolute bitch to use thrusters mid enagagement on this map. So many smaller platforms and so much verticality. Feel like I'd get in a gunfight, thrust to the side and end up either off the map or in some random place I didn't mean to go lol of course that's tough to design around because I'd also complain if my movement was restricted in any way by random objects/walls :p

It's definitely fun to move around, but don't worry about falling off of the map; most of the terrain will be walled off with rocks. There are only 3 deathpits in the map boundaries and the rest wont be easy to run off. Most of the rocks will be flat for grenade bounces as well.

Thruster will be powerful for maneuvering within the open spaces, but when you're on the higher ledges you're naturally limited to give people below a fighting chance.

The pathing is the most important thing - if that doesn't work, nothing will. The only path i'm still iffy on is the one beneath the Light Rifle spawn so i'll keep messing with it to see if I can fit some kind of hard route in there. After pathing is done, i'll be constantly tweaking the lines of sight to ensure that you are not overwhelmed by a million different angles wherever you go. That's where downscaling the map comes into play, along with angled doors, low hanging ceilings and other tricks to make the map feel cozy while still having the open sightlines.

Strider

Yea don't worry that wont be happening. Most of the terrain will be walled off with rocks. And most of the rocks will be flat for grenade bounces.

The pathing is the most important thing - if that doesn't work, nothing will. After that are the lines of sight, which I'll be spending a lot of time tweaking to ensure that you are not overwhelmed by a million different angles wherever you go. That's where downscaling the map comes into play, along with angled doors, low hanging ceilings and other tricks to make the map feel cozy while still having the open sightlines.

Ah cool. Yea the 2 bolded points would be the 2 main concerns for me after just watching the walkthrough. But if those are big points of emphasis for you already then you're on your way to a fantastic map.

I'd be up to playtest it or come in and mess around some if you'd ever want. Feel free to just send me a message on XBL whenever you see me on.

I haven't had any time to work on Sidewinder since around the last time I posted :(
Since then I did do some significant stuff inside the base. Besides a couple tweeks the base is complete. Next up is creating the actual map space and walls, then the tunnels after that, then the weapon placements.

I love seeing the old teleporter again.

I'm hoping to find the time soon to get it done within a week or two.

Players are doing some amazing stuff with forge, I'm impressed. 343i better have a forge playlist!

This. I've never been a big Forger, but I played some maps the other night and was blown away.

If 343 starts giving us some legit forge maps like that in MP, I'd have no complaints.

Players are doing some amazing stuff with forge, I'm impressed. 343i better have a forge playlist!

I think they need it. Take a note from minecraft - sharing is allowed right?

:p sharing is caring.

i never played minecraft but i remember people joining other's worlds or something like that, ala sharing what they built and playing in it

So, Forge glitches fucked up my groups completely and made it so that my only options were to either not use groups at all ever again, or have my bases be completely unselectable forever.

Do you know how fucking long it took me to group my bases? They are a lot of fucking pieces man. What in the fuck is this shit? I just spent half an hour trying to salvage my broken save. My only option was to ungroup everything completely so now I have to do it again. And I still have a good hour more of salvaging to do.

Fucking hell, someone explain this bullshit.

So, Forge glitches fucked up my groups completely and made it so that my only options were to either not use groups at all ever again, or have my bases be completely unselectable forever.

Do you know how fucking long it took me to group my bases? They are a lot of fucking pieces man. What in the fuck is this shit? I just spent half an hour trying to salvage my broken save. My only option was to ungroup everything completely so now I have to do it again. And I still have a good hour more of salvaging to do.

Fucking hell, someone explain this bullshit.

yea known bug and it's really annoying but you shouldnt lose anything. just dont end the game with any groups made or theyll all be bugged when you reload it.

yea known bug and it's really annoying but you shouldnt lose anything. just dont end the game with any groups made or theyll all be bugged when you reload it.

My current save was already fucked. Luckily I saved incrementally. I had to go back to a prior save to get things working as they should.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Wow, this map raises the bar for all the remakes out there. Looks clean and very aesthetically pleasing.

Edit: although, can he fix the backwards UNSC symbol on the front of blue base? Sticks out like a sore thumb.

the rock colomn looks pretty poor IMO

Strider

I loaded up your map Nutter and ran around some. Awesome
goodjob.gif

Idk if having 2 snipers on the map at all times would be very good in this particular game tho. It's so easy to use in Halo 5 and weapons that aren't considered power weapons (like the snipers are here) spawn 10 seconds after the previous drop runs out of ammo. Seems like it'd be overkill and could be annoying given the mobilitiy options of the spartans... could lead to all kinds of spawn killing.

I know it's a remake but I wonder if DMRs in those 2 spots instead would play out better in H5. Just my .02. Really awesome job tho. I hope I get a chance to play it at some point.

Top Bottom