• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

Loginius

Not completely done jet but getting close.
I will have to optimize quite a bit since I reached the object limit...

Blackout Remake "Sunrise".
https://youtu.be/esNUbfxYOek

I would love to get some feedback, the map "should" support slayer, ctf and strongholds.

Fuchsdh

Take out 1 or 2 of those buildings and in think you could lol

Yeah I was thinking you might be able to simplify the outside vista. Definitely interested in creating a similar real playspace, but as much as I like atmosphere if it's not playable there's not much point beyond proof of concept :)

I've been working painstakingly on a Guardian remake with the same dimensions as the original. Things I have yet to do: setting up the spawns, placing weapons, improve the aesthetics, closing off areas/placing boundaries and improving/optimizing the lighting.

I'm now looking up the original spawn points in the MCC, I really want this to feel the same hehe...

KunfWze.jpg

Jsw0Gzr.jpg

p5gvGHj.jpg

I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Raide

Are they planning on putting any of these on official playlists? They should in the future.

Frankie has vaguely hinted at something planned. Would be good to have a testing playlist of some kind where maps can be tested by a larger audience. Forge is great to test out remakes but I would rather see some fresh ideas appearing in a dedicated playlist.

Strider

Yea I'm sure there will be a community forge playlist at some point at least... The favorites from those could potentially end up in the regular playlists.

I definitely don't think they put this much effort into forge and making the tools so great only to let any good content go unnoticed. I expect a better file browser at some point too.

You guys are right, the ice is painfull to look at. I guess I haf a case of Forger's tunnel vision!

I turned off light baking for the rocks and it looks definitely better and more natural now. The overly white rocks in the distance still have light baking turned on so you can see the difference.

I'm also yet undecided on the time of day for this map. I really dig the sunrise setting but I would also like to nail the eery setting of the original Guardian.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This is probably (hopefully) a basic forge problem, but any easy way to bridge the outside corner of two perpindicular ramps aside from the wedge pieces? I used two slightly tilted ramps but now the premade wedges don't fit and leave an unsightly gap. I really don't want to have to use the default rotation on the ramps as the angle is pretty steep.

matthieuC

This is probably (hopefully) a basic forge problem, but any easy way to bridge the outside corner of two perpindicular ramps aside from the wedge pieces? I used two slightly tilted ramps but now the premade wedges don't fit and leave an unsightly gap. I really don't want to have to use the default rotation on the ramps as the angle is pretty steep.
If your map's aesthetics allow it, try using a rock or two to fill the gap. It's easier than trying to angle a wall or block at least, and it can actually look good if done right.

op_ivy

If your map's aesthetics allow it, try using a rock or two to fill the gap. It's easier than trying to angle a wall or block at least, and it can actually look good if done right.

It doesn't really, but if there is no better solution I may go for it. I got a wedge to kind of wor on one side, wonder if I could just duplicate it to fill in the gap on the other side?

Maps coming along quite well so far. Getting the basic layout solid before beautification. Halo 4s landfall.

op_ivy

Fuuuuuuuck. I've been building my map by eye based on pics and switching inputs to halo 4. Everything seemed to be going great, but working on the garage, it was clear the scale was waaaaay off. The garage was huuuuge. You'd have to sprint a fair while once in garage to get to the doorway to saw. Gah, this means most everything downwind needs to be shifted. Thankfully grouping objects makes this a lot easier then previous forges.

I hope I can get some free time to forge soon. Everything posted here seems incredible.

My first try is 2 double decker platforms facing each other with large walls scattered about for cover on both floors. Both sides will have switches that when shot, cover will move down to the bottom floor, or up to the top. It adds the dynamics of both removing the opposing team's cover, while following your own moving cover.

I'll have pictures as soon as i get to work on it, but I'm excited to try some SWAT test matches with you all soon to see what works and what doesn't. :)

Despite the really initially unintuitive controls, I'm loving Forge. Work in progress: making an arena map. I hope it turns out nice!

Edit: coming along. It's Wizard inspired but I'm not going to have 4 identical bases, rather two unique pairs of bases. Lighting isn't as dark in game.

Computron

I extracted the geometry of Halo 2's Hang 'em High .bsp file and did some measurements.

I am rebuilding some of the halo 5 forge primitives to scale in 3ds max. (which is easy, since they are all already explicitly grid sized and the units are part of the name and their coordinates are displayed on-screen, in-game)
This is so that I can make a remake as close as possible to the original dimensions.

Its kinda cool, since i can put something together in 3ds max extremely fast with the mockup halo 5 forge pieces, just matching them up to a semi transparent original of halo 2's extracted geometry. I also have vertex snapping and a mouse, so getting exact is a cinch.
I can immediately tell when the piece I want to use is too small or too big for remaking the original.
If I want to transfer it in game, the units on my 3ds max grid are accurate to Halo 5's forge, so I can just key those coordinates exactly as they are on my computer screen using the position tool in forge and i will have a pixel perfect port from the 3Ds max version (which, obviously, is accurate to the extracted halo 2 map).

Its a good way to get the scale matching perfectly before building a remake.

gLmqy2w.png

so, in the photo above, the red block is exactly the same as Halo 5's "Block [24X24x24}"
and the green slabs are the same as Halo 5's "Block [128X128X2]"

I would only need to get the scale of the level right with a very small number of basic primitives matched up to key landmarks before I can ditch 3ds max and do the rest in forge, adding details by eye.

some of you may recall I did something similar for a foundation remake for MCC.

also neat is the fact that my extraction tools tell me exactly where the original map had spawns, weapons (and their spawn parameters), as well as sound effects and other things that can now be transfered to Halo 5's forge.

Nutter

Updated my map.

- Renamed it! As I said I did not like the original name, It is now called "Sacelium"
- Jump to Ring three has been "fixed" to be the correct hight on both ends
- Bases are now more color coordinated and detailed to look like they are part of the same group of buildings
- Map has more whales/pigs/soccer balls/dice!
- Detailed the lights a bit more
- Lowered Sniper clips to 1 extra [making it total of 8 shots every three minutes]
- Lowered Shotgun clip to max 1 [making it total of 6 shots every three minutes]

http://www.forgehub.com/maps/sacelium.984/

gAg CruSh3r

I really can't wait until my map is finished. It's at a good 75% completion now and I am going to detail the hell out of it. The map is a Turf inspirational map. I will be trying to do a video clip and some pictures in the coming days. I might try to get some screen shots up today possible to kinda show off what I got.

BraXzy

Are there are obstacle courses yet? I loved making those back on H3 and I bet some creative stuff could be done with all the new abilities.

op_ivy

i built my map in the default spot thinking id move it later. with this bug i think its staying put util thats ironed out.

Computron

i built my map in the default spot thinking id move it later. with this bug i think its staying put util thats ironed out.

They should have a place-able pivot/grid piece and a global map setting so that all newly spawned pieces are parented by the pivot/grid.

They should have a place-able pivot/grid piece and a global map setting so that all newly spawned pieces are parented by the pivot/grid.

cool trick i saw Nokyard do was line up four 2'x2'x2' blocks in the absolute center of the map (or where you want it to be) and then lock them. The magnet in the middle is your anchor and you can use it to measure or rotate objects around. Really comes in handy for inverse symmetric maps, although mirror symmetry wont benefit much.

Computron

cool trick i saw Nokyard do was line up four 2'x2'x2' blocks in the absolute center of the map (or where you want it to be) and then lock them. The magnet in the middle is your anchor and you can use it to measure or rotate objects around. Really comes in handy for inverse symmetric maps, although mirror symmetry wont benefit much.

That is not what I am talking about.

A parent-able pivot, the way I envision it, would be an item that automatically groups together all newly spawned or manually specified objects (by way of the object settings or inherited through the global map settings, for example) with the same origin and relative relative transforms. You would be able to place several of these on the map at a time and control what items are children of it through the previously mentioned menus

If you were to move or rotate the pivot, all the pieces that are child items of it would move with it as though they are one piece welded together. The advantage would be that manipulating any of the child pieces would be as though they weren't welded together, so you could make adjustments "in the group" without having to ungroup them first. If it was extended to be a grid as well, then all the child pieces would have the same grid coordinates (relative to the pivot) when you moved/rotate the pivot around. This would make mirror a map a total cinch, as both sides of the map would have the exact same coordinates for their child pieces (not even mirrored coordinates, but THE EXACT SAME coordinates for the individual pieces. Only the coordinates of the pivot would need to be mirrored to make a symmetric map)

If they allowed live instancing of these pivots, you would have a system where you put on piece down for half the map and would immediately see the mirrored piece in the correct position(s) in the mirrored half.

Something cool that you could do is apply scripting to the pivot and all the child items would be affected. so you could have a portion of your map be affected by physics or animation. You could easily script together an elephant with something like this. Halo 3 actually dynamically switched between a world physics pivot/grid and a pivot/grid that was local to the Elephant on sandtrap whenever objects or players came in contact with it's "bubble". This was ostensibly done to make the physics more stable for items spawning and being driven around the map in the elephant. There are many uses for such a thing.

These are all standard features of any 3d modeling package btw... its nothing exotic. 3ds max has a handful of ways to handle this, from actual grid items, to working pivots with their own transform modifiers and snap settings.

A parent-able pivot, the way I envision it, would be an item that automatically groups together all newly spawned or manually specified objects (by way of the object settings or inherited through the global map settings, for example) with the same origin and relative relative transforms. You would be able to place several of these on the map at a time and control what items are children of it through the previously mentioned menus

If you were to move or rotate the pivot, all the pieces that are child items of it would move with it as though they are one piece welded together. The advantage would be that manipulating any of the child pieces would be as though they weren't welded together, so you could make adjustments "in the group" without having to ungroup them first. If it was extended to be a grid as well, then all the child pieces would have the same grid coordinates (relative to the pivot) when you moved/rotate the pivot around. This would make mirror a map a total cinch, as both sides of the map would have the exact same coordinates for their child pieces (not even mirrored coordinates, but THE EXACT SAME coordinates for the individual pieces. Only the coordinates of the pivot would need to be mirrored to make a symmetric map)

If they allowed live instancing of these pivots, you would have a system where you put on piece down for half the map and would immediately see the mirrored piece in the correct position(s) in the mirrored half.

Something cool that you could do is apply scripting to the pivot and all the child items would be affected. so you could have a portion of your map be affected by physics or animation. You could easily script together an elephant with something like this. Halo 3 actually dynamically switched between a world physics pivot/grid and a pivot/grid that was local to the Elephant on sandtrap whenever objects or players came in contact with it's "bubble". This was ostensibly done to make the physics more stable for items spawning and being driven around the map in the elephant. There are many uses for such a thing.

These are all standard features of any 3d modeling package btw... its nothing exotic. 3ds max has a handful of ways to handle this, from actual grid items, to working pivots with their own transform modifiers and snap settings.

Ah i see. So it's essentially a CTRL key you can place on the map? we could certainly use something like that.

I actually tried cheesing something similar when working out my bi-crane because it's meant to rotate central to its axis - first with a big floor piece, and then with a smaller cylinder object that I'd use as the parent. It works on smaller scales, and oddly enough when they're grouped it works fine - albeit with all the objects rotating seamlessly and no weird "lapses" in the keyframing animations - but when they're welded into a single large object, the entire rig basically started ice skating in really delayed circles around one of its corners as a pivot, rather than the center. I think it just breaks trying to migrate large objects, rather than anything particularly complex.

Alright here's my Forge wishlist after a week - in no particular order

• Bug Fixes
  • Blank Canvases
  • Desert, Volcanic, Jungle and Ocean canvases/skyboxes
  • Textures (weathered, rusted) and stencil patterns (hexagons, triangles, squares)
  • Placeable Waterfalls and Puddles and skins to change them to acid or magma.
  • More tree varieties and exotic flora
  • Covenant and Forerunner crates, towers and barriers
  • Two - point mirror system where objects are instantly mirrored, either flipped or inverted from the absolute zero value specified
  • Custom wedge pieces to fit in between blocks and rings (like how we have banks for ramps)
  • More primitive pieces like Hexagons and the old dishes matched to the rings and cylinders
  • Curved ramps and staircases
  • The option to disable shields from being broken
  • The option to disable vehicles from being entered
  • Destroyed vehicles
  • Pelicans, Phantoms and other giant vehicles for aesthetics
  • Controller options
  • Lightmap budget improvements
  • "Framerate" option for scripting to adjust the speed
  • More FX options like floating fireflies
  • More prefab props like wind turbines, signs, vehicles, etc.
  • Toggle color on Decals
  • More named callouts, especially for different colors.

Wil add more if I think of any.

Computron

I actually tried cheesing something similar when working out my bi-crane because it's meant to rotate central to its axis - first with a big floor piece, and then with a smaller cylinder object that I'd use as the parent. It works on smaller scales, and oddly enough when they're grouped it works fine - albeit with all the objects rotating seamlessly and no weird "lapses" in the keyframing animations - but when they're welded into a single large object, the entire rig basically started ice skating in really delayed circles around one of its corners as a pivot, rather than the center. I think it just breaks trying to migrate large objects, rather than anything particularly complex.

I already got a working crane hook swinging a platform in the wind that you can run along the top of. (not animated, but actually driven by physics)

It works well, but you have to keep the alignment if/when you move the pieces to another location, and you cant weld the swinging crane hook to the crane itself so you need to carefully move them in tandem. Unfortunately this means the crane part has to stay static, so AFAIK there is no way to script for the entire crane to topple over or exploded into pieces, but ill have to experiment with despawns and replacement.

Another problem that I am not sure is solvable is whether I can spawn weapons on top of the swinging platform reliably. And what happens if someone flys a banshee into the crane and knocks the platform off the map and it despawns? (which totally works and is awesome, btw!!! just not sure about spawning stuff on top of the platform...)

Custom grids/pivots could be an elegant solution.

Top Bottom