• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

FyreWulff

Hoping to take a crack at this today. Sounds like half the fun will be the controls. Like Halo 3 Forge all over again, but for better reasons.

Karl2177

At first I was annoyed that deleting things required long-presses. And then I realized how much stuff I would destroy inadvertendly without that change.
Same. One thing I like is that when deleting, it highlights red. I just wish it would turn red instantly once you press the right(?) d-pad.

belushy

Banned
Does it have textures now ?

It just fucking came out lol edit: Sorry its just that textures have been asked about in some form on every page.

edit 2: Also where is the shadow clamp option they were talking about? I thought it was under the Map Options tab in the forge videos but I don't see it in game?

jem0208

Okay, I've successfully set up an interactive door system where if you destroy a generator all the doors open and their buttons break.

I've also made a reset button which turns the generator back on.

Computron

lol

how's the perf

edit:

it's only a heavies map

fucking murder is the perf.

i got a clip going up on my profile. as low as 5 fps in some places.

But still, halo reach's landscape rendering is top notch. decorators render as far as the eye can see (at 720p at least).

and halo reach hog is best hog.
there is no contest, no hog 343 has made even comes within a mile.

pheaton is shit compared to falcon (thats the name of it, right?)

Computron

wtf, jetpacks seem unthinkable these days. theres just dudes in the air 24/7 on pinnacle.

and dat bloom is generating so many assists for me.

Alright the Unit Conversion Chart is back up: http://www.forgehub.com/threads/forge-unit-conversion-guide.149468/#post-1616903. I'll copy some of the text here

wcfF6bV.png

In the past, we have used World Units for measurements. World Units are equivalent to the height of the Spartan, which is 8 feet. 1 World Unit (WU) on the Coordinate Grid is also 8 feet.

Halo 5 however uses Feet to help transition Forgers into Professional Level Design, where Software Development Kits (SDK) such as Maya may also use Feet or Meters. Feet were chosen instead of Meters to avoid Decimals and Fractions.

PROBLEM: We want to spawn a Block 2x4, which is 2WUs x 4WUs x 1WU (Length x Width x Height)

Let Halo Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 2A's Units = xWU, where x is the total value of WUs
Let Halo 5 Units = Y, where Y is the value represented in Feet

FORMULA: xWU = Y

SOLVE for 2WUs
Y = 2(WU)
Y = 2(8)
Y = 16

SOLVE For 4WUs
Y = 4(WU)
Y = 4(8)
Y = 32

CONVERTING HEIGHT in WUs to HEIGHT in FEET
Normal: 1WU = 8 feet
Short: 1/2WU = 4 feet
Flat: 1/4WU = 2 feet

Therefore, our 2x4 block is 16' x 32' x 8'

SHORTHAND
(WORLD UNITS = FEET)

FLAT = 2'
SHORT = 4'
1 = 8'
2 = 16'
3 = 24'
4 = 32'
5 = 40'
6 = 48'
7 = 56'
8 = 64'
9 = 72'
12 = 96'
16 = 128'

COMMON PIECES FROM HALO MCC
(LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT)

Block 1 x 1, Flat = 8' x 8' x 2'
Block 1 x 1, Short = 8' x 8' x 4'
Block 1 x 1 = 8' x 8' x 8'
Block 1 x 1 = 8' x 4' x 24'
Block 2 x 1, Flat = 16' x 8' x 2'
Block 2 x 2, Flat = 16' x 16' x 2'
Block 2 x 2, Short = 16' x 16' x 4'
Block 2 x 2 = 16' x 16' x 8'
Block 2 x 4 = 16' x 32' x 8'
Block 2 x 3 = 16' x 24 x 8'
Block 2 x 3 Tall = 16' x 16' x 24'
Block 3 x 1, Flat = 24' x 8' x 2'
Block 3 x 3, Flat = 24' x 24' x 2'
Block 3 x 3, Short = 24' x 24' x 4'
Block 3 x 3 = 24' x 24' x 8'
Block 3 x 4 = 24' x 32' x 8'
Block 4 x 4, Flat = 32' x 32' x 2'
Block 4 x 4, Short = 32' x 32' x 4'
Block 4 x 4 = 32' x 32' x 8'
Block 4 x 4 Tall = 32' x 32' x 24'
Block 5 x 1, Flat = 40 x 8' x 2'
Block 5 x 5, Flat = 40' x 40' x 2'
Block 5 x 5, Short = 40' x 40' x 4'
Block 5 x 5 = 40' x 40' x 8'
Block 10 x 10 = 80' x 80' x 8'

TIPS:
CEILING HEIGHT
  • 16' is the minimum distance a floor can be from the ceiling to to allow your Spartan to comfortably jump without hitting their head.
JUMP HEIGHTS
  • Normal Jump Height = 9'
  • Crouch Jump Height = 10'
  • Stationary Clamber Jump = 12'
  • Moving/Momentum Clamber = 14'
  • Crouch Jump + Clamber = 16'
CLAMBER BUFFER
  • Clamber requires an object with a HEIGHT of 4' or more to function.
READING MEASUREMENTS
Halo 5 Pieces are represented in LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT
  • LENGTH is the value of the side in front of you, or along the X Axis
  • WIDTH is the value of the side going away from you, or along the Y Axis
  • HEIGHT is depth, or how tall the object is, or along the Z Axis

----------------------------

Thanks for the jump info, Karl

nillapuddin

What remake is first on the list? Or are you going with a puddin' original?

decided to mess around with foundation to teach myself the controls since within 10 minutes I realized they were redonk, got the buildout 80% done in a few hours yesterday. But now Im messin around with a buddy who always wanted to remake a different h2 map

Since basically the only piece that has any sort of equivalency is a 2x2 Flat from past forges, this is gunna be a pain in the ass. I know the measurements on all these maps like the back of my hand, but now they dont mean shit. So Im a little frustrated, but Ill figure it out. Then yeah Id love to get back to some originals, but I have a determination (and an obligation?) to recreate the maps Ive done so well over the years

Raide

Slowly getting the controls down. Just need to remember where the basic building blocks are and how to layout build quickly. The group and duplicate function is awesome, though it does mess up.

I still wish you could custom save and name groups so you can use them in other maps. Making prefab items is fun.

nillapuddin

Ive never used a Spartan for measurement, always a Warthog.
A hog has always been 2x1

In Halo 5 a Hog is 20x10

That tells me the units in Halo 5 are x10 of the old units

so either

A the warthog is now a different size
B. those numbers are incorrect

Been trying to get objects to move up and down by themselves without any switch but they just keep floating into the heavens without ever coming down.

TCKaos

Weird oddity that was overlooked: The Breakout Arena canvas does not by default support teams other than Blue or Red. Attempting to play as another team will result in you being unable to spawn into the map for editing purposes.

Some friends and I discovered that when messing around.

Raide

Things that need to be added.

No clip while editing.
Invincibility while editing.

Been trying to get objects to move up and down by themselves without any switch but they just keep floating into the heavens without ever coming down.

You probably have to change the physics of the objects to get them to move.

nillapuddin

co-forging:

having MAJOR issues with grouping

upon reloads of the map, anything that was once grouped gets stuck in a group with anything else that was grouped, but it cannot be selected until you sacrifice 3 chickens, use a hula hoop for 10 minutes and randomly spam blocks and groups until they somehow come back from the ether, only to freaking have all their angles and shit messed up.

also, xbl completely down for me and I cannot access my games at all. so glad forge is online only.

nillapuddin

I couldn't even play offline games. Licensing issue, I think.

same. xbox has some serious 'splaining to do

im offline, on my home xbox, and still cant play my games.
im getting so freaking first world angry at my stupid xbox and took it out on some poor xbox chat person. sorry xbox chat guy (i apologized to him also)

Sorry if I missed it, is it possible to rotate a group together as opposed to having each individual object rotate on its own axis?

Zeta Oni

Not sure if any of you all saw, but someone made a pretty neat snowing effect using fog and wind direction (Since it using fog it will show up in doors still)

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/DlCTATUS/video/13296467

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3x7fdl/quick_tip_for_making_snow_weather_in_forge/

Any chance we could edit the color of it?

Or possibly give the illusion of a color by adding a tint to the background?

Interested in making a Doom 3 inspired map, and was thinking of decent ways to simulate Mars and possibly a duststorm for the outside portion of the map.

jem0208

Any chance we could edit the color of it?

Or possibly give the illusion of a color by adding a tint to the background?

Interested in making a Doom 3 inspired map, and was thinking of decent ways to simulate Mars and possibly a duststorm for the outside portion of the map.
Yeah, you can literally set the fog colour to be bright pink if you wanted to.

They went all out with this forge.

Zeta Oni

Oh boy, that's wonderful.

Im really interested in seeing if I/anyone can make a map so detailed, it fools people into thinking it was developer made.

Top Bottom