• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

mcrommert

Banned
nokyard...your map seems to be working for me at least now. Was able to delete your invisible walls

Just thought i would let you know

Karl2177

It's gonna bug me that there aren't ramps that are 24' wide. The scale on ramps is 8' -> 16' -> 20' -> 32' -> etc. I ended up going 16' + 8', but it'd be nice if there was a standard option.

Also I'm going to need to get used to hitting deselect before I do anything because I keep accidentally deleting groups that are selected in the distance that I didn't realize were selected.

It's gonna bug me that there aren't ramps that are 24' wide. The scale on ramps is 8' -> 16' -> 20' -> 32' -> etc. I ended up going 16' + 8', but it'd be nice if there was a standard option.

Also I'm going to need to get used to hitting deselect before I do anything because I keep accidentally deleting groups that are selected in the distance that I didn't realize were selected.

this plus the X menu backing you out of your piece properities. uggggh

Obscured

Finally got to play with it a bit today. Controls threw me for a while, but I'm coming to grips. It feels like every idea I've had before that I couldn't quite get to work or was otherwise limited is all in the past. There is so much possibility that I kind of don't know where to start.

The more I use this the more disgruntled I become with it. There are so many bugs.

Magnets do not anchor to the piece like they did in H2A. I used them to freehand rotations and it doesn't work anymore. Tried changing with it in the settings and didn't notice a difference.

Rotation is inconsistent. If you aren't right above or right in front of a piece to the degree, it will snap to a different axis even if you only have one selected. It takes me 5 minutes to build something that took 1 in H2A because I spend the remaining 4 minutes trying to rotate the damn thing.

Grouping and Multi Select will often shift the pieces if they are translated, which is irrecoverable. Grouping especially feels primitive currently.

They've moved delete from Y so you can't accidentally delete groups with a button press, but I feel like I'm constantly worried about accidentally deleting the wrong thing because the extra step of deslecting everything has tremendously slowed down my workflow. It was faster for me to rebuild the other side of a map than it is to group it and move it because one wrong press and the entire group gets messed up.

Everything feels snappier and we have more control over building, but all of the button presses make it way slower, especially with the reversed control scheme. Inverted Camera controls...just no.

As for the canvases themselves, the boundaries on Glacier and Alphine are too strict If I want to avoid the terrain, I have to elevate my map, but then I keep running into the skybox while moving and duplicating objects. And Glacier has the audacity to delete the map when the skybox is switched.

Parallax is the only canvas I don't feel catastrophic on, but the baked lighting and shadows are busted like parts of Reach Forge World often were.

I love the look and design of all of the pieces and really want to start bringing things to life with the FX and lighting and all, but getting there is such a chore. Tthis really just isn't fun to use right now.

NOKYARD

nokyard...your map seems to be working for me at least now. Was able to delete your invisible walls

Just thought i would let you know

Thank you. I did manage to move the Inv Walls by moving the Ring which was placed under it. They were somehow grouped. When i selected the Ring it also highlighted the Inv Wall. Very strange indeed.

TCKaos

Started working on... something.

kw1Yje1.jpg

fymeuXV.jpg

Chromakeys have no collision, so you can run through that.

Insaniac

okay let me ask, did they get rid of "Enter region" triggers for scripts? they were in Halo 2 anniversary... also where are all the destructables?

Chromakeys have no collision, so you can run through that.

The map looks great!

I like your creative thinking on that teleporter as well. Have you tried projecting one of the light effects onto the chroma? That could make it look even better, at least it does in my head right now.

jem0208

The more I use this the more disgruntled I become with it. There are so many bugs.

Magnets do not anchor to the piece like they did in H2A. I used them to freehand rotations and it doesn't work anymore. Tried changing with it in the settings and didn't notice a difference.

Rotation is inconsistent. If you aren't right above or right in front of a piece to the degree, it will snap to a different axis even if you only have one selected. It takes me 5 minutes to build something that took 1 in H2A because I spend the remaining 4 minutes trying to rotate the damn thing.

Grouping and Multi Select will often shift the pieces if they are translated, which is irrecoverable. Grouping especially feels primitive currently.

They've moved delete from Y so you can't accidentally delete groups with a button press, but I feel like I'm constantly worried about accidentally deleting the wrong thing because the extra step of deslecting everything has tremendously slowed down my workflow. It was faster for me to rebuild the other side of a map than it is to group it and move it because one wrong press and the entire group gets messed up.

Everything feels snappier and we have more control over building, but all of the button presses make it way slower, especially with the reversed control scheme. Inverted Camera controls...just no.

As for the canvases themselves, the boundaries on Glacier and Alphine are too strict If I want to avoid the terrain, I have to elevate my map, but then I keep running into the skybox while moving and duplicating objects. And Glacier has the audacity to delete the map when the skybox is switched.

Parallax is the only canvas I don't feel catastrophic on, but the baked lighting and shadows are busted like parts of Reach Forge World often were.

I love the look and design of all of the pieces and really want to start bringing things to life with the FX and lighting and all, but getting there is such a chore. Tthis really just isn't fun to use right now.

Pretty much every complaint of yours boils down to the fact that it's different to the old forge and you've not gotten used to it yet.

Give it some time, of course it's going to be frustrating initially because they changed the controls people have been used to for 8 years. The vast majority of changes are for the better though.

jesus, 343 made this game so competitive even the Forge skill gap went up
kappa.png

Think it'll be really easy to spot who has a good handle on the editor now, especially since there are no more prefab pieces. Have to get really creative not just with piece usage, but with how you construct the map and how clean it ends up being. I admit I'm kind of excited for the challenge despite all the hiccups.

Think the best part is that no two maps will ever look the same.

Pretty much every complaint of yours boils down to the fact that it's different to the old forge and you've not gotten used to it yet.

Give it some time, of course it's going to be frustrating initially because they changed the controls people have been used to for 8 years. The vast majority of changes are for the better though.

Referring to them as "complaints" sounds like you're trying to make the issue I'm raising illegitimate. You may not be running into them, but for me it's disappointing to see the techniques I used before less efficient now. Magnet Anchoring (freehand rotating a piece while it is snapped to another object) was the main draw of the Magnet system. The workaround now however takes more time and is less reliable.

The editor is slower to me because of the additional keystrokes required to be precise. It would be speedier with Keyboard and Mouse, allowing me to have Magnets, Lock, Weld, and Edit Coordinates all on hotkeys. Even if I picked up an Elite Controller, I wouldn't be able to map those to the paddles. I wonder if they could add that support somehow.

I believe Tom French said on twitter they're coming eventually.

Well we could definitely use some prefab windows and doors. You can use the trim pieces in the wall category for windows and doors but it takes a few objects.

It's easy to get stuck using the prefab buildings, so i'm anxious to see the community flex their muscles in the first few months since there are no prefabs to rely on. It'll lead to more interesting object usage.

Fuchsdh

jesus, 343 made this game so competitive even the Forge skill gap went up
kappa.png

Think it'll be really easy to spot who has a good handle on the editor now, especially since there are no more prefab pieces. Have to get really creative not just with piece usage, but with how you construct the map and how clean it ends up being. I admit I'm kind of excited for the challenge despite all the hiccups.

Think the best part is that no two maps will ever look the same.
It's a shame that things like the Blood Gulch bases are gone, but a lot of those room pieces were, aside from building Lockout, completely pointless. Nothing was lost.

It's a shame that things like the Blood Gulch bases are gone, but a lot of those room pieces were, aside from building Lockout, completely pointless. Nothing was lost.

it's really cool that they can add them post launch though. Forge DLC is uncharted territory. A lot of the categories are small or empty and It's going to be fun watching them expand over the months.

All things considered, they did a bang up job. I was sold the minute I started building something and it looked exactly like the concept art I made for it in SketchUp

jem0208

Well we could definitely use some prefab windows and doors. You can use the trim pieces in the wall category for windows and doors but it takes a few objects.

It's easy to get stuck using the prefab buildings, so i'm anxious to see the community flex their muscles in the first few months since there are no prefabs to rely on. It'll lead to more interesting object usage.
I find the panels good for doors.

I think they're found under Structures<Walls<Accents
You have to scroll down a bit but they look pretty good.

Main thing I want for DLC at this point

* blank canvases with no preloaded terrain
* darker rocks with grass on top and bigger trees
* covenant crates

Probably moreso the rocks.

Glass

I think new 'packs' of forge pieces in upcoming updates are going to be as anticipated as any REQ or map even. The possibilities are great.

Off the top of my head, would definitely like some more city props i.e billboards, signs, posters like the ones in Plaza. Some Endor size trees with huge trunks would be epic.

moving a welded group and then the game crashes me back to the main menu. swell.

So groups don't have magnets?

don't think so. neither do welded objects.

you can use the axis snap and coordinates to line things up though. it's good to get in the habit of disabling magnets when you multi select or group objects, or all of the pieces will snap to something while you edit them.

jem0208

Referring to them as "complaints" sounds like you're trying to make the issue I'm raising illegitimate. You may not be running into them, but for me it's disappointing to see the techniques I used before less efficient now. Magnet Anchoring (freehand rotating a piece while it is snapped to another object) was the main draw of the Magnet system. The workaround now however takes more time and is less reliable.

The editor is slower to me because of the additional keystrokes required to be precise. It would be speedier with Keyboard and Mouse, allowing me to have Magnets, Lock, Weld, and Edit Coordinates all on hotkeys. Even if I picked up an Elite Controller, I wouldn't be able to map those to the paddles. I wonder if they could add that support somehow.

The change to magnets is definitely a good thing though. Sure it means you cant do that technique anymore but using them as they were intended is so much less fiddly and much, much faster as a result.

So groups don't have magnets?

They do, however only on the parent piece (the one highlighted in blue instead of green). You can change the parent piece in the object properties menu.

This game is Microsofty in the best of ways, even down to forge. Fun fact: if you hold down RB and look around, you'll multi-select pieces as though you were clicking and dragging to select multiple files.

Main thing I want for DLC at this point

* blank canvases with no preloaded terrain
* darker rocks with grass on top and bigger trees
* covenant crates

Probably moreso the rocks.

To add to this:

*Autosave - with always online requirement and general instability, Forge needs this so badly! Even if it were to just auto-save every 5 minutes.

*Undo-button - Simple enough. If not an 'undo last action' button, then tie it with the autosave's history 'undo last 5 minutes', and just load up how it was 5 minutes prior.

*Object-preview - Would be nice if I could just scroll through the list and get a preview of what an object looks like before I spawn it.

*More Flora - Needs more shrubbery, trees, plants, etc. Let forgers plant flowers: rose-bushes for example, and then allow them to be have their bush & flowers coloured. More types of trees - let forgers edit the colours of the wood and leaves. I want wheat, sunflowers, vines for walls, etc.

*Running water VFX - Don't know whether this is feasible, but would be nice to have a few which could be made to look like waterfalls, or perhaps placed horizontally to look like running water.

*Textures - even if it's just super simple seamless paterns like these or clip-art quality bricks like these (even better if these textures can be coloured/tinted).

don't think so. neither do welded objects.

you can use the axis snap and coordinates to line things up though. it's good to get in the habit of disabling magnets when you multi select or group objects, or all of the pieces will snap to something while you edit them.

They do, however only on the parent piece (the one highlighted in blue instead of green). You can change the parent piece in the object properties menu.

Thanks guys.

Another thing, do grouped/multi-selected pieces just mess up when they get snapped to a magnet for everyone?

jem0208

To add to this:

*Autosave - with always online requirement and general instability, Forge needs this so badly! Even if it were to just auto-save every 5 minutes.

*Undo-button - Simple enough. If not an 'undo last action' button, then tie it with the autosave's history 'undo last 5 minutes', and just load up how it was 5 minutes prior.

*Object-preview - Would be nice if I could just scroll through the list and get a preview of what an object looks like before I spawn it.

*More Flora - Needs more shrubbery, trees, plants, etc. Let forgers plant flowers: rose-bushes for example, and then allow them to be have their bush & flowers coloured. More types of trees - let forgers edit the colours of the wood and leaves. I want wheat, sunflowers, vines for walls, etc.

*Running water VFX - Don't know whether this is feasible, but would be nice to have a few which could be made to look like waterfalls, or perhaps placed horizontally to look like running water.

*Textures - even if it's just super simple seamless paterns like these or clip-art quality bricks like these (even better if these textures can be coloured/tinted).

We do have a quicksave button which is very nice. Just get into the habit of pressing the back button (view?) all the time.

I'm not even sure if anyone else has figured it out though! You can get on top of red base with some relatively difficult jumps. Hopefully it just won't become a problem.

Playing the new maps today in the Holiday playlist, on Antifreeze and Overgrowth a player got out of the map and was being a nuisance (I didn't know this until going back and looking at the films, but same person in both games!). On Overgrowth it looked like he used basic jumps to get above sword spawn and then eventually above courtyard and Railgun, being above the map here didn't seem to beneficial since he couldn't get down and was mostly exposed once you realized where he was. On antifreeze the jump up uses some mid skill jumps from inside red base that can get you anywhere along the outside of the map. This boggles my mind, how are any maps being made now without insta-kill volume around the perimeter ridges and above the playable space? 343 needs to fix three of the four new maps...which judging by Orion's long vacation would take them out of rotation for a month or more :(

Karl2177

Shit. I didn't know that. My tactic has been to degroup, rearrange for magnets, regroup.

The change to magnets is definitely a good thing though. Sure it means you cant do that technique anymore but using them as they were intended is so much less fiddly and much, much faster as a result.

i'll see about getting them to patch in the anchor in the options menu.

didn't know the parent thing, thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom