• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

nillapuddin

guys, im so mad.

I saw they made a new Basin, I was pretty happy about it since in Nilla fixes Basin I figured out just how fucked up the map was in term of symmetry and fair travel times.

So I open up the new one, and (Randy 355 (someone I know and am xbox friends with) / whichever CC had oversight over it) left the bases in the same fucking spot.

Blue base is 11 units closer to the middle of the map, and its also 9 units closer left-right to incineration cannon side.

(insert caps lock expletive rant about checking your god damn mother fucking coordinates)

also, the map is still built on a 45°, fucking stupid.

guys, im so mad.

I saw they made a new Basin, I was pretty happy about it since in Nilla fixes Basin I figured out just how fucked up the map was in term of symmetry and fair travel times.

So I open up the new one, and (Randy 355 (someone I know and am xbox friends with) / whichever CC had oversight over it) left the bases in the same fucking spot.

Blue base is 11 units closer to the middle of the map, and its also 9 units closer left-right to incineration cannon side.

(insert caps lock expletive rant about checking your god damn mother fucking coordinates)

also, the map is still built on a 45°, fucking stupid.
Basin is shit forging, it's ugly and not very fun to play on. When we have a far superior Viking I really don't see why Basin still exists. They should replace it with Avalanche once it's finished.

Spawns, containment, art pass & lighting left to do. We will have about 50 pieces available for decoration. Other than a 105% FX budget all bars are green.

Rings look nice!

Art pass: Struts on bases could be wider. It'd also be nice if the struts were anchored with a vehicle platform (like the original Avalanche) rather than going directly into the ground. Other wise it looks great. Please don't be mad at me for nitpicking.

NOKYARD

Rings look nice!

Art pass: Struts on bases should be wider. It'd also be nice if the struts were anchored with a vehicle platform (like the original Avalance) rather than going into the ground. Other wise it looks great. Please don't be mad at me for nitpicking.

Rings broke with the last update. Not sure what broke them or how to fix but we have tried many different methods.

Re: wider Struts: If you watch the stream/YT vids i explain the reasoning behind the struts. I'm very frugal with the inventory and fought at every turn to keep the map under budget. A project this big can get away from you if you are not careful. We never intended to have the map look like Halo 3 but it must play like Halo 3 with exactly the same sight lines. If you go matching every dimension and item shape the map ends up looking like a poor patchwork version of the original. I wanted a completely new and fresh look, using as few pieces as possible.

For example the mid-field Mancanons are made up of 6 pieces. 4 of which are the actual Mancanons.

Mid-field Mancanon and "Power Drainer"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nokyard/

If we were to stick with a design resembling the original it would have ended up costing around 400 pieces for the mancanons alone. We ended up using 86 pieces for the 10 mancanon structures.

Trapezoids are the only other suitable items in the inventory to build the struts and there is no way to make them look like anything other than a pile of random Trapezoids slapped together.

That being said, your suggestion for the vehicle platform would be a welcomed addition costing 4 pieces so we will try it next time we are building.

Akai__

I'm sad that Man Cannons don't have Halo 3 physics. You could launch any object with them, but in Halo 5 objects and even vehicles just get stuck in them and they become an unmoveable object. :'(

NOKYARD

I'm sad that Man Cannons don't have Halo 3 physics. You could launch any object with them, but in Halo 5 objects and even vehicles just get stuck in them and they become an unmoveable object. :'(
We have minimized this by burying the mancanon as far as the design will allow. You can stick a perfectly smooth landing, but you can also flip and become stuck so there is a wider risk/reward gap than Halo 3's mancanons. Getting stuck at the launch phase is rare.

Top Deck

Akai__

We have minimized this by burying the mancanon as far as the design will allow. You can stick a perfectly smooth landing, but you can also flip and become stuck so there is a wider risk/reward gap than Halo 3's mancanons. Getting stuck at the launch phase is rare.

Damn, that looks great. I can't wait for the final version. Really wished they would add in Brute Choppers and Hornets. I'll certainly miss them on this map. :(

Also, the comment wasn't directed towards you. I tried to recreate several things that my friend did in Halo 3 and it won't work, because the physics in Halo 3 were a lot better with objects. Things could fly and wouldn't be wonky like objects in Halo 5. I mean, you can't even make Fusion Coils to explode on impact anymore. :/

NOKYARD

Damn, that looks great. I can't wait for the final version. Really wished they would add in Brute Choppers and Hornets. I'll certainly miss them on this map. :(

Also, the comment wasn't directed towards you. I tried to recreate several things that my friend did in Halo 3 and it won't work, because the physics in Halo 3 were a lot better with objects. Things could fly and wouldn't be wonky like objects in Halo 5. I mean, you can't even make Fusion Coils to explode on impact anymore. :/

Yeah, i got that. I was more explaining how we have to be creative to overcome the differences in game engines.

For instance, in previous games Mongoose splatters were directly tied to the fall damage setting which is no longer relevant. I assume Fusion Coils are also tied to the same system so they no longer take fall damage as well.

nillapuddin

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/into-the-storm

omgflappymoutharchitecturebits-54e0257325eb4fea8d28c8fb0cfb4eb8.png

nillapuddin

Those pieces are awesome, but in particular if we can change the colors on that big banner it will be an awesome piece.

Agreed

.... I just realized ....

What canvas is that (intrigued emoji)

[references the near infinite amount of posts I've made about a desert/sangehelios canvas]

nillapuddin

At least you can make your entire map a prefab and bring it over?

Yeah that's why he's telling me, I already have with 3 entire maps lol

Speaking of which

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...ap-variants/bookmarks?gamertag=nillapuddin626

Help a brotha out

Longshore and Rats Nest have new canvas' go download and like please!

Experimenting with Highlands on Tidal but I'm not set yet, either way go look at "Lowtide" so incredibly happy with that map.

Edit: Also, nok helped me out for a few minutes and we worked the kinks out of the extendi-bridge on Longshore, turned out super cool

Watch him getting banned for a lifetime, because he discovered this, just like Zed was for enabling Campaign Theater.

Yeah, Zedd had to go make a whole new gamertag after that incident. I really do hate that 343 acts like ONI sometimes when they try to cover up the truth.

Spasm

Got a 1.2GB update for PC tonight. Ver. 08018.

Nothing I'd reported to the forums has changed:

Launching H5 Forge still launches the Halo app, which in turn launches H5 Forge.
Still get the minimum specs warning.
Still can't map the ALT keys to anything.
Still can't disable the Framerate Limit, 30 or 60 only.
16:10 resolutions still stretch the aspect ratio.
Still stutters all over the place.

Anyone know what has actually changed?

Edit:
Got excited when I saw this, expected a custom game server browser.

Lol, first thing I checked was the Multiplayer menu, for a browser, or even more outlandish... Matchmaking. I wouldn't be surprised if they added MM at some point, just to be able to sell more REQs.

Edit2: It doesn't even include the BTB refresh maps.

Got a 1.2GB update for PC tonight. Ver. 08018.

Nothing I'd reported to the forums has changed:

Launching H5 Forge still launches the Halo app, which in turn launches H5 Forge.
Still can't map the ALT keys to anything.
Still can't disable the Framerate Limit, 30 or 60 only.
16:10 resolutions still stretch the aspect ratio.
Still stutters all over the place.

NOKYARD

Edit:

Lol, first thing I checked was the Multiplayer menu, for a browser, or even more outlandish... Matchmaking. I wouldn't be surprised if they added MM at some point, just to be able to sell more REQs.

Edit2: It doesn't even include the BTB refresh maps.

They wouldn't release new features without first activating the hype machine.

We have released a mandatory Title Update which will address a few minor stability, user interface, rendering, and localization issues. There are no additional features or new content being released as a part of this title update.

NOKYARD

The rings are spinning!!!

First full test of Avalanche is set for Tuesday.

This will also be my first 'live' test where I can be playing on Xbox One, and have a build of the map up on the PC to make suggested changes before the next round. Typically, you would have to leave the party to make adjustments and, hopefully, still have a party to go back to after making your adjustment.

To further address this question you didn't ask.

We decided to replace the central Mancanons in the cavern with Gravity Sliders to allow all vehicles to pass since no amount of adjustments would prevent a Ghost from getting stuck on the launcher.

Halo 5 Forge Avalanche Mansliders
by NOKYARD, on Flickr

Halo 5 Forge Avalanche Mansliders
by NOKYARD, on Flickr

Karl2177

My first guess is the duplicated spawns. I know that was a thing in Halo 4, it's why I had to redo Dread a few times. My second guess is that like the middle section, the collision geometry isn't the same as the visible geometry and those ramps in the base are actually colliding with the spawns, so the game doesn't see them as valid. I don't know why it wouldn't affect the initial spawns though.

NOKYARD

Campaign theatre? What's this reference to?

Halo 4 did not feature Campaign Theatre, which is saving/sharing/viewing films of Campaign Missions. A modder, Lord Zed, embarrassed 343i when he found the feature was indeed coded into the game and proceeded to put Campaign films into his File Share, breaking ToS, which got his Xbox & GT banned.

Halo 4 did not feature Campaign Theatre, which is saving/sharing/viewing films of Campaign Missions. A modder, Lord Zed, embarrassed 343i when he found the feature was indeed coded into the game and proceeded to put Campaign films into his File Share, breaking ToS, which got his Xbox & GT banned.

Not just a soft or month ban, a lifetime perma ban. but yeah the feature was 95% complete too, but for some reason was dropped. the videos are still up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmwaOVX6m84

Don't know why 343i is phasing out campaign theater but we should really demand for it to be in the next game.

Trup1aya

Not just a soft or month ban, a lifetime perma ban. but yeah the feature was 95% complete too, but for some reason was dropped. the videos are still up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmwaOVX6m84

Don't know why 343i is phasing out campaign theater but we should really demand for it to be in the next game.

Damn that game looked good. Can't believe 343i wouldn't want people to be able to show the campaign off like this.

Damn that game looked good. Can't believe 343i wouldn't want people to be able to show the campaign off like this.

Don't know why either but for some reason 343i just doesn't want to implement campaign theater.

I would really love an honest answer as to why they are phasing out theater one of these days. it still has usefulness even if the XB1 can do DVR on the fly, hell screenshot taking was allot easier with theater then it is on XB1.

Trup1aya

Don't know why either but for some reason 343i just doesn't want to implement campaign theater.

I would really love an honest answer as to why they are phasing out theater one of these days. it still has usefulness even if the XB1 can do DVR on the fly, hell screenshot taking was allot easier with theater then it is on XB1.

DVR is certainly no replacement for being able to use custom camera angles.

Top Bottom