• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

nillapuddin

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-5s-forge-gets-bigger-and-better-with-huge-upd/1100-6446033

"...To start, more than 650 new objects are being added, bringing the total number of unique objects to upwards of 3,800 in the map- and mode-making tool suite...

..The big focus of the update is the addition of "powerful and robust" scripting tools that players can use to create all manner of gametypes from simple to complex...

...One element of Forge's new scripting system is what's called the "Action Target." This allows you to modify the actions of up to 64 objects at the same time. Additionally, scripts can now have four actions per condition, while scripts can be disabled at three different levels: map level, object level, an script level to further enhance and refine what you're making. There are also new conditions being added, including those that trigger events based on score changes or the specific time in a round. Another new condition is one that checks when a player or object enters, exits, or remains inside a boundary....

...General Forge enhancements, tweaks, and changes are also included in the update. One of these is a file recovery feature. Already present on PC, the feature, which creates an auto-save of your map when you get disconnected from the server, makes the jump to Xbox One. Another new feature is "Machinima Mode," which lets you snap screenshots of your levels directly in the game...."

And more, including TFrench interview

nillapuddin

I tried some "lego" map, so are there any GOOD maps?

... sigh

Yes, hundreds.

coughmyfilesharecough
/r/forge
forgehub
various forge youtube channels
in game content browser

There are more ways than ever to find what you want.

What type of maps do you want?

Hakkelus

... sigh

Yes, hundreds.

coughmyfilesharecough
/r/forge
forgehub
various forge youtube channels
in game content browser

There are more ways than ever to find what you want.

What type of maps do you want?

Good looking, well balanced maps. I'm open to suggestions.

jem0208

How do you get an fx (for example an explosion) to only occur on a button press?

Currently I have part of my map just repeatedly exploding... :(

Edit: nvm, I got it.

O9Mvvhjwdbk40.gif

:D

Blam

They re-wrote the engine to support campaign AI on dedis instead of lockstep. Any code built up to that point would have been useless.

I've noticed that Warzone/Firefight AI desync if you fast forward, so I wonder if Campaign just isn't rigged to stay synced.

Rewrote? Lol ok no they didn't. Everything can be done offline.

Because I definitely haven't milked Tidal enough, I made a Link's Awakening map. That's my last Zelda map for 2016.

My Halo-themed one for the contest is still in the works, but it is nearing completion. Let's just say it's been an immense expedition and I'll be finishing the forge in 2017.

You can enter more than 1 court.
Thanks for the reminder, but I don't put these maps in the same ballpark, figuratively speaking.

Is having the floating spartan effect from smoothing the floor with blockers a necessary evil for gameplay? If I don't do it that way, there will be bumps.

NOKYARD

Is having the floating spartan effect from smoothing the floor with blockers a necessary evil for gameplay? If I don't do it that way, there will be bumps.
They are necessary. Bumps kick players out of a slide.

I think it's great that ForgeHub didn't add an IP restriction for the contest. Bring on the Star Wars & Rocket League courts!

JDB

Banned
I had to mess around with invis blockers a bit to get both a smooth surface without the floating effect.

x4DxRqL.jpg

One side of the arena actually has sand that's quite a bit higher because I'm using the actual Barrens floor instead of my own natural pieces. Probably not the best idea, but fuck it.

J-Roderton

Just got this game. Hows the learning curve compared to H3 and Reach? I used to make maps all the time on those games. Seems like they have added quite a lot more features.

NOKYARD

Just got this game. Hows the learning curve compared to H3 and Reach? I used to make maps all the time on those games. Seems like they have added quite a lot more features.

Just dive in. You will pick it up quick enough. I advise starting on an open canvas like barrens and spawning one of everything, or at least the smallest and largest of each item, to get grasp on the new (thousands of) items. That should take a few hours.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
The Imgur are broken. Get the links from the YouTube description.

The links works for me perfect.In pc w.8.1 with firefox and in the xbox one with edge.Well in edge i have to select open this link in another tab or directly open because if i press A in the link only appears a blank website but this is a problem of edge.

NOKYARD

The links works for me perfect.In pc w.8.1 with firefox and in the xbox one with edge.Well in edge i have to select open this link in another tab or directly open because if i press A in the link only appears a blank website but this is a problem of edge.

I meant if you look at the actual links on the Imgur page they do not point to the map, just to his map page on Waypoint, which does not show this map because he likely forgot to turn the Search feature on for the map file.

Trup1aya

Noob question,

Can player deaths trigger events?

More specifically, could different events be triggered depending on which player has died?

nillapuddin

Noob question,

Can player deaths trigger events?

More specifically, could different events be triggered depending on which player has died?

depends if its stationary or not, and team based or not

if stationary, super easy
boundry check
players
exit

if not, not so much, but Im pretty sure you can engineer the logic

Trup1aya

depends if its stationary or not, and team based or not

if stationary, super easy
boundry check
players
exit

if not, not so much, but Im pretty sure you can engineer the logic

It would be team based.

I've been asking around and it seems like what id like to do would be more complicated than its worth.

Is there any official documentation for scripting or is all of it community generated?

Trup1aya

Creative Force is currently setting up the framework for a comprehensive doc. No E.T.A.

Ok that's awesome. I'll probably wait for that before i dive in. I don't have much time to learn the old fashioned way but i do want to play around with the scripting.

Thanks for the info

My foray into live Streaming continues - I run through my latest concept map design, as well as carry out some live testing of Extermination maps and modes.

https://youtu.be/DAOCm9zpCek

Feel free to follow on Twitch, I'm doing this stuff pretty regularly now. And really enjoy it. I like making videos, but doing livestreams is a different, but fun experience.

nillapuddin

btw I've abandoned battle pinball (8 player).

I have it built and everything wired correctly, the game just can't support it. One in game second takes about 10-15 real world seconds.

Too much lag from the fx, scripts, interactive objects, idk. The tables are as minimal as they get, nowhere near obj count, it's just the ones I do have are too straining.

shame.

I could very well put out either solo table or 1v1, but I'd rather not, I want it to be a seamless team game that's easy to load up.

Fuchsdh

btw I've abandoned battle pinball (8 player).

I have it built and everything wired correctly, the game just can't support it. One in game second takes about 10-15 real world seconds.

Too much lag from the fx, scripts, interactive objects, idk. The tables are as minimal as they get, nowhere near obj count, it's just the ones I do have are too straining.

shame.

I could very well put out either solo table or 1v1, but I'd rather not, I want it to be a seamless team game that's easy to load up.

Well, someone had to push the limits of Forge to unsustainable levels. :)

Top Bottom