• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge

Akai__

I was thinking about this earlier: honestly, if we can use those Ice Bridges on any map, we'd just have to adjust the tint and metallic settings and maybe change the tertiary color to white and we could easily replicate that aesthetic.

Hmhh, not sure if it would look good, but that's a good idea.

Holy shit the dream multiplayer map of the first light bridge area in Halo CE after going into the not natural formation tunnel.

Get out of my head. lol

No, but seriously, this is one of the reasons I want it. That and the hilarity of someone driving a vehicle over the bridge and suddenly falling into a pit.

you should probably join forgehub or something ヾ(´∀`)ノ

I'm on Forgehub, although not really a regular, I lurk more than anything else. I've found the Forge community to be a bit daunting, when "celebrity forgers" make really cool stuff that overshadows a lot of of amateur efforts like my own. Anything 343i can do to make it easier for us to create and share maps will really help.

If the new invisible barriers are laid on their side, will you flatly walk across them, or sort of bounce? I know Reach had some trickery possible with one-way shield doors where you could more or less cross them like a normal surface when laid horizontally.

Raide

If the new invisible barriers are laid on their side, will you flatly walk across them, or sort of bounce? I know Reach had some trickery possible with one-way shield doors where you could more or less cross them like a normal surface when laid horizontally.

Now, that was one of the main things that bugged me in Forge. Flat objects not being actually flat!!!

I remember the old days of forge where doors were activated by a fusion coil and a flipped mongoose and they lifted a dumpster into a perfectly sized alcove with a gravity lift. These kids with their new-fangled door scripting don't know the struggle of the early days!!!

Defect

lol

Has most of the old Halo crew from H3-Reach days moved to GAF now then? I haven't done anything Forge or Halo related in a while. Been waiting for this megaton to drop.
Ghost and Newt are on here but they just hang in the LoL thread.

rip pistol squed

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That's only because he changed his name. Otherwise I distinctly remember Zoba posting in HaloGAF threads as 3 legged goat before. It just never dawned on me either because your old threads and posts change except for the quotes from others.

Sort of like Stinkles name before was OuterWorldVoice.

Before that, it was Stinkles.

Karl2177

The fact they had 1 animated door that people used to push blocks to be other doors is genius. Way too much effort but genius.

Just a door prefab that opens if you get close or one you can script to open/close with a switch. Prefabs have been used in level editors for years and Halo 5 should make full use of them in order to make interesting and varied looking/playing maps.
I'm talking from a competitive map design perspective. Doors turn any almost any competitive map into a shitshow. Gemini, Isolanus, and half of the Destiny maps all suffer from doors. The only door that I can think of that was good was High Ground. Zanzibar's was decent, but I hated the way the starts of matches went for the defenders.

For your crazy maps, have at your doors.

Raide

I'm talking from a competitive map design perspective. Doors turn any almost any competitive map into a shitshow. Gemini, Isolanus, and half of the Destiny maps all suffer from doors. The only door that I can think of that was good was High Ground. Zanzibar's was decent, but I hated the way the starts of matches went for the defenders.

Of course, most competitive maps have to have flow that is unhindered by pesky opening and closing of doors.

I need Doors so I can remake Goldeneye Levels correctly.

Nope and there's a coupple reasons as to why 343i won't allow you to spawn AI on custom made maps.

For that to happen you'd need a Firefight Gametype and Editor, where you can set rounds, waves and which enemies will spawn. Similiar to the Halo Reach Firefight Editor.

You'd also need an AI pathing tool, since AI wouldn't know where to walk onto the custom made map, which would result into AI standing still or running against walls/obstacles (as shown in Halo 3 Forge mods).

Cheers for the info dude.

Well that's a bit shitty :(

343 have said there will be monthly updates to Forge and they'll be taking on fan feedback, so lets bombard them with all of the above :)

First map I'm making is a Chiron spiritual successor with more open rooms and interactive elements like doors to seal off teleporters, channel-switchers, etc.

First map I'm making is a Chiron spiritual successor with more open rooms and interactive elements like doors to seal off teleporters, channel-switchers, etc.

I was actually thinking about a Chrion-inspired map that changes an 8 player FFA into a series of 1v1s. Have a series of rooms connected by teleporters. If you ever get more than one player in a room, the teleporters in that room shut down until the count drops below 2. I could do unique themes for each room, it'd be nice.

NOKYARD

Nokyard, please tell me there is Light Bridges, which you can turn off/on. Please.

I was thinking about this earlier: honestly, if we can use those Ice Bridges on any map, we'd just have to adjust the tint and metallic settings and maybe change the tertiary color to white and we could easily replicate that aesthetic.
The Ice bridges didn't have colour settings that i saw but i am sure you will be able to simulate light bridges by combining objects with lighting and effects.

I'm on Forgehub, although not really a regular, I lurk more than anything else. I've found the Forge community to be a bit daunting, when "celebrity forgers" make really cool stuff that overshadows a lot of of amateur efforts like my own. Anything 343i can do to make it easier for us to create and share maps will really help.
ForgeHub is under new ownership and is a much more friendly environment to new forgers. What can be daunting is receiving feedback from the experienced forgers because they will be brutally honest. Some people can't handle this form of criticism and push back against it. If you can learn to apply this feedback to better your map you will certainly become a better forger.

The Invisible Barriers are just like the Ice Bridges. They appear as solid glass in Forge mode and are perfectly smooth to walk on.

Now, that was one of the main things that bugged me in Forge. Flat objects not being actually flat!!!
No need to worry. Flat is flat.

There is one map i saw in the video which absolutely needs to have doors (and windows) attached to a switch. Wouldn't be the same without it.

Kibbles

I can't wait to see what people make with this. They should allow those cartographers access to Forge early so we get some awesome maps out of the gate.

16BitNova

I've never been really good at forging. My main concern here is being able to play a wide variety of forge maps through maybe their own playlist or something. One small forge maps playlist and one for bigger forge maps. This is where server browsers would have come in handy.

Raide

I've never been really good at forging. My main concern here is being able to play a wide variety of forge maps through maybe their own playlist or something. One small forge maps playlist and one for bigger forge maps. This is where server browsers would have come in handy.

Agreed. During the busy ForgeGAF period, we had some great custom evenings where we tested some great maps, some random maps and one I made called Jonestown...where everyone died instantly because I put the deathzone inside-out. :D

On mobile so it's imgur compressed, but I had a rough idea for a teleporter trap:

GB35pgc.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
doors on timers could be interesting. imagine some visible signal every several minutes or so that opens up a door thats a direct flag route in a ctf game and the impact that that would have on a match. and thats just applying it to a standard game type.

forge 3.0 is going to be incredible. cant wait to hear how it will be accessible to players at large as i'm sure a ton of thought and improvement will be seen in this regard as well.

Raide

doors on timers could be interesting. imagine some visible signal every several minutes or so that opens up a door thats a direct flag route in a ctf game and the impact that that would have on a match. and thats just applying it to a standard game type.

forge 3.0 is going to be incredible. cant wait to hear how it will be accessible to players at large as i'm sure a ton of thought and improvement will be seen in this regard as well.

It could be a little like Levelution. Having something on a timer that locks down certain parts of a map which alters the flow of the map. Could lead to some interesting CTF games where players work together to trigger the events that shift the path in their favour....

if its all possible of course. :D

It could be a little like Levelution. Having something on a timer that locks down certain parts of a map which alters the flow of the map. Could lead to some interesting CTF games where players work together to trigger the events that shift the path in their favour....

if its all possible of course. :D

Oh, man. That would be nuts.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Think bigger!

How about moving bases?

You grab the flag from the enemies base, after you find it. Then have to locate your base has which has also moved.

i'm picturing a troll mode where the flag capture point is always juuuust out of reach of a running player. kind of like those visual basic scripts where you can never click the close window x because it allows moves when the mouse gets close to it.

Welfare

i'm picturing a troll mode where the flag capture point is always juuuust out of reach of a running player. kind of like those visual basic scripts where you can never click the close window x because it allows moves when the mouse gets close to it.

Ahahaha

Scripting is going to be so much fun.

I suggested something similar a few pages ago where a three-legged tetherball robot would run away from you holding the oddball.

RowdyReverb

Think bigger!

How about moving bases?

You grab the flag from the enemies base, after you find it. Then have to locate your base has which has also moved.
Could have two separate floating bases on the space canvas that orbit different points such that you can only jump from one to the other every 30 seconds or so. It would be like an evolution of Boarding Action.

Paging Stinkles: will there be a uservoice board for H5 Forge?
I like this idea. Since the mode isn't coming out for a couple months, there might even be time to implement feedback before it goes live.

Madness

I wonder if they'll allow exact mirroring of grouped items. That would probably save the most time for forgers, completely simplify symmetrical map design. Probably would even help build better asymmetrical or functionally symmetrical maps.

Bsigg12

It was mentioned to me earlier in the thread but a Breakout map with moving cover or a shifting map could be amazing. Maybe tie it to a central button that changes the pieces around the map. A shootout hallway with pop up cover could be interesting with the slide mechanic.

Glass

Forge noobie here, but could you make a Breakout game mode on a normal map i.e the non paintball style ones? As cool as they look (love the lime green accent map) it'd be great to see some Breakout in 'natural' environments.

Forge noobie here, but could you make a Breakout game mode on a normal map i.e the non paintball style ones? As cool as they look (love the lime green accent map) it'd be great to see some Breakout in 'natural' environments.

I see no reason why not. Breakout is Slayer with particular variables, and the flag. I imagine you can set Breakout custom rules on a map independent of the style of that map.

Obscured

Think bigger!

How about moving bases?

Literally one of the first things I thought of.

Not just doors, but traps in floors, that open as you run across, maybe color coded to other objects (light colors?) so you can see a pattern, get a little F(irst) P(uzzle) S(shooter) action going. Maybe it drops you to your death or just how you access another floor, or pops up mancannons. Multiple actions to fire off a script was mentioned. Depending on capabilities making it where members of your team have to shoot or stand in a certain area to unlock access to a Rocket Launcher or Scorpion for example.

I've always wanted to create a map that changed flow as the match progressed. Kind of like invasion, but not so much built around attack and defend. Start of where the teams are separated and first have to get through a barrier to really engage, but have the ability to take potshots at each other, then break out of a building into a larger space (think lockout to avalanche) and have weapons spawn in different areas as the action moves through the map. Obviously going for a different kind of action than a typical Halo MP match, but I like that is sounds like the new tool-set may be able to let me finally do it.

NOKYARD

I wonder if they'll allow exact mirroring of grouped items. That would probably save the most time for forgers, completely simplify symmetrical map design. Probably would even help build better asymmetrical or functionally symmetrical maps.
We submitted a feature request for mirroring of grouped items. My guess is that it's too complicated for this version of Forge but i really don't know how these things work.

We did suggest that any features which could not be implemented be automatically placed on top of the Halo 6 wish list.

HTupolev

We submitted a feature request for mirroring of grouped items. My guess is that it's too complicated for this version of Forge but i really don't know how these things work.
If every object has some manner of perfect mirror, an implementation would probably be somewhat doable. Otherwise, you'd have to build all kinds of special-case best-guess logic into it, or selectively not mirror certain objects, or something. And that might get terrifying.

One thing i'm still confused about are the terrain sheets. I'm reading that they're "massive" and "strain the engine" but i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why that's the case.

Are they not just small discs of grass/ice/space rock anymore? Are we not able to create large hills, caves and pits?

If every object has some manner of perfect mirror, an implementation would probably be somewhat doable. Otherwise, you'd have to build all kinds of special-case best-guess logic into it, or selectively not mirror certain objects, or something. And that might get terrifying.

yea i'm not sure we'll see mirroring this time for probably the same reason we wont see Undo.

NOKYARD

Every item in the Primitives menu (Blocks, Cylinders, Rings , , ,) is symmetrical so if you stick to those items you can quickly build a mirror image base.

You copy/paste the first base and can quickly re-arrange the pieces using magnets and rotation. Forging is so much quicker once you get the controls down. Rebuilding structures like this can be done very quickly.

One thing i'm still confused about are the terrain sheets. I'm reading that they're "massive" and "strain the engine" but i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why that's the case.

Are they not just small discs of grass/ice/space rock anymore? Are we not able to create large hills, caves and pits?
The Terrain pieces go from small to HUGE (almost the size of the Big Island on Forge Island) and add very little strain on the engine.

Every item in the Primitives menu (Blocks, Cylinders, Rings , , ,) is symmetrical so if you stick to those items you can quickly build a mirror image base.

You copy/paste the first base and can quickly re-arrange the pieces using magnets and rotation. Forging is so much quicker once you get the controls down. Rebuilding structures like this can be done very quickly.

The Terrain pieces go from small to HUGE (almost the size of the Big Island on Forge Island) and add very little strain on the engine.

How do the colored Forge pieces (and lighting) look when everything is fully rendered?

Overall, does it help the visuals of the map read better, and allow the depth to pop more?

stef t97

Any word on what theatre will be like? For example can we change timescales yet and is there a dolly cam? This sort of stuff would be really useful for us lot that make fragmovies and shortclips. They're the reason why CS and CoD are at the top of the movie making scene and it would be nice to see some great halo content being created.

Will we see some gameplay on the maps the cartographers created soon? really curious to see how the maps look from first person pov

Top Bottom