• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge

The CCs were at 343 for a week, but with travel time they only had 4 days and change to build the maps. December's right around the corner so any issues with the BTB maps will be patched by the original authors.

Holy fuck the bloom

Nightmare stuff

Worst thing Bungie's ever done and they recently put it back into Destiny, SMH

NOKYARD

Around 6 days. Monday night to Sunday Noon.

Much less for me since my map was decimated three times and i had to basically start from scratch or from the previous day's build.

NOKYARD

I guess if you took into account the fact that we had to branch off test builds each afternoon for an evening test the actual build time would equal around 4 days. So WARHOLIC's estimate of 4 days is not inaccurate.

belushy

Banned
Hey Nokyard, quick question...

Can you "weld" spawn points to a vehicle or an object that is either normal physics and moving around, or an object that is being scripted? For example, making an Elephant like vehicle that holds spawn points.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Only thing that bums me out about Forge is that unless you have at least 7 friends who play regularly, it's pretty much closed off to you. Sure, they'll eventually do a best-of playlist, but other than that it's just making unusable maps for the fun of it.

This is why 343 needs to embrace community maps/playlists. It's the one huge thing that can set them widely apart from the console shooter competition. Halo can embrace its competitive AND party gameplay roots. Maybe make social completely community created aside from perhaps one consistent 343 playlist? I mean, it is called social after all. One playlist could be maps adopted officially by 343 (ones that are tested by the community and approved) and the other could be a beta test playlist of sorts where it's total randomness. You could play a very bad, unbalanced map and gametype or you could play the best ones ever. After those games, there could be a simple vote (yes for good, no for bad, or a needs improvement but on the right track option). The ones that get voted on in there, get added to the "official" one.

NOKYARD

Hey Nokyard, quick question...

Can you "weld" spawn points to a vehicle or an object that is either normal physics and moving around, or an object that is being scripted? For example, making an Elephant like vehicle that holds spawn points.

Welding items to vehicles was not working while i was there but they were trying to solve it. I just hope you can weld vehicles to other vehicles. I really, really want a triple decker Scorpion attached to a Banshee so it can fly.

BraXzy

Random thought that just occurred to me.. Will the ship hangar/dock type thing that Breakout maps are set in be a forge-able canvas?

Surely it'd make sense to provide it for other Breakout maps, and at the same time, it could be an interesting backdrop to... dare I say it... UNSC themed maps.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Probably more appropriate to discuss this here rather than the OT.

With forge incoming and my inability to sleep, I came up with a potentially cool and unique game type. But before I begin to invest further in the development of my ideas and what could prove to be a difficult design process, I have a question that can make or break this before I even begin --- can you forge and script an entire moving map?

NOKYARD

I have a question that can make or break this before I even begin --- can you forge and script an entire moving map?
I believe so but i can't answer that with any certainty either way.

The entire map would have to be grouped as a single item so there could be no Normal or Fixed Physics items on the map. I don't know how collisions would work either since you can usually be easily killed by moving objects. Certainly worth a test though.

Will the pieces have textures on them or will it be like the BTB maps?

Fea not, the forge team is going to provide updates. So i expect textures, items, and all around enhancements every month after its release.

We will ultimately find out next week what forge has.

Raide

Strider

Super pumped for Forge. Supposed to be 15th?

"Week of the 15th" so no exact date given just yet but it'll be next week for sure. It's possible it comes Tuesday but I think they avoid giving an exact date just in case everything doesn't go as planned...

The last major update was released on Wednesday of the given week so if that happens again it'll hit the 16th.

Top Bottom