• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Considering how well 343 have treated the Cartographers and how Forge is being handled, I think it's time for me to pre-order.

And start Forging the Halo 5 OT.

Oh my stars forge is gonna be amazing! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait, I'm looking forward to making silly maps with friends

Stinkles gave out a code? dang it

I hope there's more pls

No. But we put in a feature request so they ware aware of the need.

Are you able to comment on what the biggest/most common feature request was and whether or not it was implemented?

One that comes to mind is custom thumbnails. If we have custom map intros though then I don't see why we wouldn't have those.

Also, undo button?

Dynasty8

Everything about this game is looking absolutely incredible.

• Biggest Campaign yet
  • Competitive 4 vs 4 Arena going back to its roots
  • Warzone...the mode I've personally been waiting for
  • The biggest improvement to Forge since it began
  • The incredible soundtrack/throwback to oldschool Halo music
  • Consistent 60 FPS

Can't believe some people ONLY look at just the negatives.

trixx

This is going to be one of the most feature packed full retail releases in quite some time. Not including rare replay its one of the biggest this year.

The king of console shooters is back

VariantX

I could never really get into forge in any of its iterations, because I hate to use a controller for this type of stuff. It would be great if there were some kind of mouse/kb support for Halo 5

nillapuddin

Considering how well 343 have treated the Cartographers and how Forge is being handled, I think it's time for me to pre-order.

background.png

K0mwD7i.gif

link1201

I just Re-watched the video. Man, just adding the ability to add colors is amazing. I can't wait to see what people come up with. I hope everything is stable so some of the maps can make it into MP.
EDIT: even Fog density and color are adjustable. Wow.

daedalius

I'm not a huge forge user, but I can't wait to see what kind of community creations come out of this.

Remakes of old maps would be awesome, dat headlong tease

NOKYARD

H5 Forge is gonna drive me insane for hours, lol.
Well, everything can be done quicker in the new forge so you can go insane for minutes, not hours.

Is this because of embargoes, or that there weren't any details?
The dev build we were working on is very different from the usual xbox. When i loaded Halo 5 from the dashboard it went straight into the map i was working on. There was no UI or any kind of menu available. It was impossible to go digging in other areas of the game, and the team wasn't sharing any specifics outside of Forge.

However, i stayed for two days longer than the rest of the team to work on an unrelated project. During that time they put me up in a conference room on the "Campaign" floor.

Warning: Campaign Spoilers.
On my way back from a washroom break i happened to pass by an artist working on a campaign level.

I couldn't help but see his entire screen for few seconds, but that single glance revealed secrets beyond measure.

I tried to avert my eyes but could not bring myself to look away.

The artist was using Maya to carefully place a door frame within a wall opening.

Sooooooo, somewhere in the Campaign, there is a door with an exquisitely placed door frame!

its a skin so probably
Or it's Halo 2 open as the guy was tooling about with a Halo 2 remake.
Retail versions of Halo 2 and Halo 3 were on some of the other screens.

I believe Halo is in VERY good hands.

Are you able to comment on what the biggest/most common feature request was and whether or not it was implemented?

One that comes to mind is custom thumbnails. If we have custom map intros though then I don't see why we wouldn't have those.

Also, undo button?
We discussed the importance of Thumbnails and Undo. They agreed these features were very important, but are extremely difficult to implement. For instance, Undo would require taking a snapshot of the file after every move you make. I'm not sure where the features stand at present but i am hopeful they will be implemented somewhere down the line.

That Headlong looked great and all, but is it just big gray peices?
Some of the maps in the video were just blocked out early versions, not complete maps.

Yea some of the rotation stuff has me a bit anxious.
I struggled with the movement options for the first 4 days. After finding the short cuts it became second nature.

That Headlong looked great and all, but is it just big gray peices?

Nah, it's big (#xxxxxx(128)(10))^3 pieces, and that's only counting the color palette exclusive to that individual item before the new lighting options are taken into consideration.

Kssio_Aug

I've pre-ordered Halo 5 today! Cant wait!

343i has putten a lot of content into it! For today standards its pretty unbelievable!

So are there little to no textures on the objects as a way to have way more types of objects without having to texture them all?

Unbelievable. I've never really done much with Forge. Admittedly, I did the most in Halo 3 with Foundry, but this looks incredible. Maybe I'll tinker a bit more.

RowdyReverb

I wonder what they'll do to address Forge's biggest problem- discoverability. Unlike Mario Maker, these levels require several players in a group with 5-10 minutes to properly evaluate them, which makes the separation of wheat and chaff a bit more arduous.

Making a dedicated community playlist that shuffles in levels randomly could be part of the answer, but you'd inevitably end up playing lots of stinkers in search of gems and it may make for unfun play sessions.

Or we could just keep using third party forums to share levels, but this could make it tricky to round up all those levels into a playlist for the public.

What is the best solution here?

Pretty sure the article mentioned you could add art, probably like the unsc logo seen here

h5-guardians-forge-04-44ed0803ef614933b5427668cdad6506.jpg

best part about colors and curved pieces is that it means we can make Covenant maps. They obviously wont look as good as Truth, but they'll look better than anything we've been able to do in that vein before (I can only think of a handful maps that came close to looking Covie).

NOKYARD

So are there little to no textures on the objects as a way to have way more types of objects without having to texture them all?
It's so you can make an entire base without it looking like a pile of unrelated blocks.

I wonder what they'll do to address Forge's biggest problem- discoverability. Unlike Mario Maker, these levels require several players in a group with 5-10 minutes to properly evaluate them, which makes the separation of wheat and chaff a bit more arduous.

Making a dedicated community playlist that shuffles in levels randomly could be part of the answer, but you'd inevitably end up playing lots of stinkers in search of gems and it may make for unfun play sessions.

Or we could just keep using third party forums to share levels, but this could make it tricky to round up all those levels into a playlist for the public.

We brought up and discussed each of these issues with the forge team so they are aware.

The Community Cartographers will be doing their part to be sure suitable maps move upstream. We are active in many Forge communities. Look for map submission threads posted in these communities for more info when they go up.

Pretty sure the article mentioned you could add art, probably like the unsc logo seen here

h5-guardians-forge-04-44ed0803ef614933b5427668cdad6506.jpg
The Decals section had plenty of content. Lots of logos and small items like <<<CAUTION>>> and <<<DANGER>>> signs. You can see samples in many of the Beta and Breakout videos.

It's so you can make an entire base without it looking like a pile of unrelated blocks.

I feel like this is a mixed bag, because it may come off as looking too plain without stylization. However..

The Decals section had plenty of content. Lots of logos and small items like <<<CAUTION>>> and <<<DANGER>>> signs. You can see samples in many of the Beta and Breakout videos.

This may help quite a bit.

Wow! They really have put a lot of effort into this!
Guys/Gals at 343 seem to be doing a great job with Forge this time around.
Can't wait!

Looks amazing. Everything I've ever wanted. I'm so happy right now.

To be honest, the late launch is a good thing.

Gives people time to get used to what the game can do as a player, before you start designing playspaces. My mind is blown.

Hyped. This is going to eat my life.

This is an underestimated point. We have to learn not only a new game, but a new Forge engine as well. It may be a while before we see solid maps pop up

BraXzy

I mentioned this before but have a look at how Dota 2 implemented dedicated custom games. I think they've done a pretty good job so far. You have a dedicated submenu, it has a splash screen with the top 10 custom games at the time along with a browse catalogue. Each custom game has its own page when you click on it. Each one has a rating out of 5 stars so you know what the community likes and doesn't. Creators can make their own logo/splash image and description etc. And you can matchmake for a game in that mode from the games page directly. Works pretty well.

I don't know how easy that sort of thing would be to do on a console though.

BraXzy

my boday is so ready

I haven't really gotten into Forge since Halo 3 but this is looking really cool. I might have to get into the scene and try my hand at making some maps.

Loving the weird bNet family reunion people are having. I used to go on it back in the day but not often enough to recognise peeps :3

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This is extremely impressive. I know AI is not in, but I think whenever, if it ever gets added in then it would be awesome to add a "Grunt brain" to an Elite. It would be an interesting way to control behavior of AI if they didn't want to do AI behavior tweaking (or they could do both and the brains would be pre-set AI options).

Anyway, as far as community play levels. 343 could do a "tester playlist" that lets the community up vote/down vote maps as they play them. It could be stated that this is for testing purposes and that the players may end up playing really bad maps.

Also, Forge gametypes need to be a thing in matchmaking too, eventually. Some of the best game modes were community created.

The best way to get Forge into the larger community is to let them play the maps and game modes within Forge through normal means like matchmaking. Obviously CSR shouldn't be in community playlists.

Impressive work by 343I, I'm really looking forward now to create some maps on Forge everything is looking great, the story, music, graphics, 60fps locked, classic old
school arena Halo mp, Warzone, my precious Mark V etc I know that Halo 5 will be epic I trust in 343 the game will be outstanding!

It just dawned on me that we might be able to pull off a map that looks like this.
aiCjKvI.jpg

Maybe not in the actual textures, but shapes and color contrast are no longer a thing of fantasy.

Top Bottom