• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge

NOKYARD

How's the performance on forge maps.

Perf was fantastic. You still have to be careful but i was building near the upper limit with no noticeable drops.

Items out of view do not draw so if you are careful with LoS blockers you can go over perf limits.

Using the new welding / grouping tools, I'm curious as to whether you can anchor or have an object "orbit" another object based on relative positions. Example:

- Drawbridge consisting of two flat walls is rigged up.
- When a button is pressed, either end of the drawbridge raises up, creating a gap.
- Soccer ball is rigged to run along the drawbridge, like a track.
- Soccer ball is prompted to run along drawbridge after it's raised.

I'm curious as to whether you could have the soccer ball's scripted movement run parallel to the bridges as they assume new positiosn, or whether the soccer ball would just force itself up and have to fight against gravity until its movement vector "ended."

Arc and landing position only, i believe. No control over velocity.

I didn't try it myself but watched the other CCs playing with it.

on top of this, i would like to see custom stream colors and velocity added in the future. but controlling the arc is a significant step forward. had enough of double stacking man cannons.

NOKYARD

Using the new welding / grouping tools, I'm curious as to whether you can anchor or have an object "orbit" another object based on relative positions. Example:

- Drawbridge consisting of two flat walls is rigged up.
- When a button is pressed, either end of the drawbridge raises up, creating a gap.
- Soccer ball is rigged to run along the drawbridge, like a track.
- Soccer ball is prompted to run along drawbridge after it's raised.

I'm curious as to whether you could have the soccer ball's scripted movement run parallel to the bridges as they assume new positiosn, or whether the soccer ball would just force itself up and have to fight against gravity until its movement vector "ended."

There is a button to perform this specific process in the Drawbridge Ball Action & Orbit Vector menu.

i have no frikkin' idea but you should be able to pull this off with creative scripting

Pez

I hope for future Forge updates post-release that we get a city template.

A friend and I played on District last night and it really made me wish for a forge template where you could build roads, skyscrapers, and interesting nooks and crannies into a map.

Can you guys think of any other interesting templates for Forge?

A friend and I played on District last night and it really made me wish for a forge template where you could build roads, skyscrapers, and interesting nooks and crannies into a map.

By template, you mean a palette where the pieces and textures are tailored to a certain aesthetic? Sure.

New Mombasa/ Old Mombasa Template (ODST, Halo 2)
New Alexandria/New Phoenix Template (Reach, Halo 4 Ending)
UNSC Template (Generic)
Earth Template (Crow's Nest)
Forerunner Template (Generic)
Forerunner Ruin Template (Delta Halo)
Promethean Template (Mantle's Approach)
Covenant Template (Generic)

They could all come with canvases where any natural geometry is thematically representative of their aesthetic, but if all of the pieces are themed then it'd be better if we are able to design the map from scratch. In other words, we wouldn't need a map with its own streets if we had streets to place ourselves.

Raide

Hrmm...I would like to see a swampy style map. Something to evoke an element of darkness and horror into maps. :D Creepy trees, mist and fireflies.

I am hoping they have an underground volcano/lava filled zone. Something to mix the lighting possibilities up and add an extra element of danger to maps.

Hrmm...I would like to see a swampy style map. Something to evoke an element of darkness and horror into maps. :D Creepy trees, mist and fireflies.

I am hoping they have an underground volcano/lava filled zone. Something to mix the lighting possibilities up and add an extra element of danger to maps.

Yea we need more themed environments for sure. Swamps, Volacones, Deserts, Beaches, etc.

Raide

Yea we need more themed environments for sure. Swamps, Volacones, Deserts, Beaches, etc.

They just need to throw loads of variety in there. Just spice things up a bit! The tools sounds really great for making variety, so more themed places would be great. Hell, take sections out of the solo campaign and let us fully forge them.

Pez

Interesting to hear thoughts from other forgers!

Yeah, I've always wanted more urban maps ala Turf and District, but I feel there was a conscious choice to stay away from those designs and accentuate Halo's outdoor natural environments.

A swamp map would be interesting. Wonder if we'll have the ability to lay down a visibility/fog blanket on maps? Would be cool, especially for Infection map types.

Pez

By template, you mean a palette where the pieces and textures are tailored to a certain aesthetic? Sure.

New Mombasa/ Old Mombasa Template (ODST, Halo 2)
New Alexandria/New Phoenix Template (Reach, Halo 4 Ending)
UNSC Template (Generic)
Earth Template (Crow's Nest)
Forerunner Template (Generic)
Forerunner Ruin Template (Delta Halo)
Promethean Template (Mantle's Approach)
Covenant Template (Generic)

They could all come with canvases where any natural geometry is thematically representative of their aesthetic, but if all of the pieces are themed then it'd be better if we are able to design the map from scratch. In other words, we wouldn't need a map with its own streets if we had streets to place ourselves.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I think it would be interesting and be good marketing if they released forge updates themed after each entry of the Halo games.

The first Forge update would offer a new template based off of locations from Halo 1, so Timberland like maps with dark, lush greens, beaches, etc.

Halo 2 could be more urban based.

Halo 3 would be more atmospheric and mix in elements of ODST.

4 would be forerunner stuff, I guess.

Raide

Interesting to hear thoughts from other forgers!

Yeah, I've always wanted more urban maps ala Turf and District, but I feel there was a conscious choice to stay away from those designs and accentuate Halo's outdoor natural environments.

A swamp map would be interesting. Wonder if we'll have the ability to lay down a visibility/fog blanket on maps? Would be cool, especially for Infection map types.

An urban zone would be really cool. They just need to add some larger prefab items that are full buildings with doors/windows etc, just to make it a bit easier to make a built-up area.

Well the new tools do have smoke/fire I think. Would be really great if we can add more environmental effects.

We also have some physics and pathing stuff I think, so it would be great to be able to build raising/lowering bridges etc.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I think it would be interesting and be good marketing if they released forge updates themed after each entry of the Halo games.

The first Forge update would offer a new template based off of locations from Halo 1, so Timberland like maps with dark, lush greens, beaches, etc.

I love that idea! Would work really well for map remakes but also to foster the variety of option in the new Forge.

that's actually a very good idea.

Pez

This is actually the approach Bonnie Ross said they should have taken with MCC in hindsight, releasing content in tiers instead of all at once.

In any case, it would give their marketing a bit of direction when starting the rounds for PR with new forge updates.

Random17

It would be a mistake to make Halo 2 entirely urban based, don't get me wrong I love Old Mombasa, but the game had plenty of other unique environments such as Delta Halo, QZ and most notably High Charity.

You won't find the aforementioned environments anywhere else.

That would be spectacular. I would honestly be super happy if they just gave us old assets from the past games, even if dated. Would be some real charm to forging on low-res Halo CE textures and geometry, with Halo 5 lighting.

Halo 1: Lush biomes, flush geometry structures, and old forerunner and convenant stylings.

Halo 2: Urban architecture and High Charity Covenant aesthetics.

Halo 3: Industrial, gritty sets, and flood pieces

Halo 4: Forerunner and promethean sets

Honestly, with all the shader and metallic settings I think we're at a point where we can recreate CE settings pretty faithfully.

Honestly, with all the shader and metallic settings I think we're at a point where we can recreate CE settings pretty faithfully.

hope we can make rooms that look as clean as this

FM7HjEB.jpg

EFU1rXA.jpg

Raide

I hope with the evolution of Forge that Warzone becomes something we can Forge. Just watching the footage leads to me to some crazy ideas for massive scale battle-maps.

4x4 bump, large

found some cool stuff in the Halo 4 Campaign earlier. Hoping to replicate some of this.

lyG9XNW.png

really like these kind of towers as a base concept. could flesh out the bottom with multiple levels, but even then this whole section could be repurposed as a base.

bpEcPHm.png

Crashed vehicles is at the top of my wishlish. Or rather, the vehicles themselves by which we can crash as necessary. This could be enhanced with the FX as well.

Fuchsdh

4x4 bump, large

found some cool stuff in the Halo 4 Campaign earlier. Hoping to replicate some of this.

lyG9XNW.png

really like these kind of towers as a base concept. could flesh out the bottom with multiple levels, but even then this whole section could be repurposed as a base.

bpEcPHm.png

Crashed vehicles is at the top of my wishlish. Or rather, the vehicles themselves by which we can crash as necessary. This could be enhanced with the FX as well.

Yeah WarCraft III's campaign editor allowed you to stick FX boxes in other items, so if you wanted a set of burning buildings it was as simple as placing a house doodad and then a fire emitter inside it. Looks like something similar with be an option this go-around, but obviously what you can do with it depends on the scenery pieces we get. Dropships have always been a big one on the list, but even having dead vehicles that don't respawn would be cool.

LOL, a forged sanctuary will still be better than all other custom forge maps combined.

But please do tell about awesome map design.

hahaha-oh-wow.jpg

Pretty low bar you're setting there buddy.

You'd do yourself a favor by reading up on level design articles from seasoned developers instead of this pitiful attempt at meta trolling. I've seen it all before and you look silly when you're playing devil's advocate to make a point.

4x4 bump, large

lyG9XNW.png

bpEcPHm.png

Jeez Halo 4 is a gorgeous looking game.

Hopefully Halo 5 shines.

Top Bottom