• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Guardians: #huntthetruth

Mitch

Banned
When Halo 4 released, I purchased the limited edition 360. Ended up a little disappointed with the game, especially the MP aspect.

Now with 5 coming out, I may think about picking up the MCC Xbone bundle closer to October, or maybe after E3 depending on what they announce. From the way GAF has been discussing the game, it seems like 5 will turn out to be a lot better than 4 story wise.

The idea of playing as both Locke and MC is something I am on board with, since I liked playing as the Arbiter in 2.

I totally agree about one being the truth, and one a lie, I like that idea.

I also like the idea of the clone not being dead, but I haven't read any books and comics and assume the clone talk comes from those (unless I've forgotten something) so I hope it is explained in the game as well as any external content. Halo 4 suffered for it expecting people to know too much outside of the game.

Definitely getting a console bundle!

ValeYard

I also like the idea of the clone not being dead, but I haven't read any books and comics and assume the clone talk comes from those (unless I've forgotten something) so I hope it is explained in the game as well as any external content.

I think in the books it was stated that the clones the children were replaced with were designed to die of a terminal disease a few years after their replacement. Very grim. If they stick to this story though, Clone-John wouldn't be alive anymore.

I think the trailer(s) look amazing as usual. I'm just not quite sure yet, what my take away should be. I'm not invested in Locke yet -- in fact in Nightfall I felt he did a pretty bad job of commanding troops. Thus, I'm only really invested in the Master Chief trailer right now.

Ok. Both trailers were awesome.

Getting hyped and I haven't been this hyped for a game for quite a long time. Time to start saving up.

#teamChief

I think in the books it was stated that the clones the children were replaced with were designed to die of a terminal disease a few years after their replacement. Very grim. If they stick to this story though, Clone-John wouldn't be alive anymore.

I see, that's pretty cool. Well maybe if John117 is as lucky as Cortana claims, and he is the 1 surviving Mk2 left and greatest Spartan of all time, maybe the terminally ill clone could survive due to just being that amazing of a human being. Maybe there is more to John than that.

FordGTGuy

Banned

I think the trailer(s) look amazing as usual. I'm just not quite sure yet, what my take away should be. I'm not invested in Locke yet -- in fact in Nightfall I felt he did a pretty bad job of commanding troops. Thus, I'm only really invested in the Master Chief trailer right now.

The latest audio journal refutes the clone of John's death. They guy says he finds a physical record the claims John died at age 6 or at the age John was kidnapped. However John's clone was specifically recorded as being alive by his teacher and friends up to around age 12 in 6th grade; one day he disappeared after a Covenant attack.

I see, that's pretty cool. Well maybe if John117 is as lucky as Cortana claims, and he is the 1 surviving Mk2 left and greatest Spartan of all time, maybe the terminally ill clone could survive due to just being that amazing of a human being. Maybe there is more to John than that.

As far as feats are concerned he is definitely the greatest Spartan so far but generally he wasn't the strongest, fastest or most accurate Spartan.

Glass

Watching the Locke trailer again and so happy to see the improvement in voice acting from Locke. In the H2A cutscenes it sounded like he could have been having the conversation in an office meeting it was that meandering. Here it had some weight, it had gravitas. The character just got a lot more intimidating, which he needed to be if he's meant to be a match for the Chief.

jelly

Apparently the original ideas for Forerunner weapons were a lot more outlandish, but during playtesting most testers didn't even touch them.

Still think turning them into a third variant set of the weapons we already had was a mistake.

Sometimes you just have to say screw them. I imagine if they playtested Halo CE like they do know, the needler wouldn't be a thing. Testers can be a fickle bunch. More heart 343.

Glass

Sometimes you just have to say screw them. I imagine if they playtested Halo CE like they do know, the needler wouldn't be a thing. Testers can be a fickle bunch. More heart 343.

Yeah good point about the needler. I love my DMR's and battle rifles, but it wouldnt be Halo without needlers and the like.

Having a third weapon set mimic the same weapons in 4 did seem a bit redundant, however I really like what they did with the Lightrifle in the beta. They found a way for it to be different but still fit in the 'rifle' category. Hopefully that continues.

jelly

Watching the Locke trailer again and so happy to see the improvement in voice acting from Locke. In the H2A cutscenes it sounded like he could have been having the conversation in an office meeting it was that meandering. Here it had some weight, it had gravitas. The character just got al ot more intimidating, which he needed to be if he's meant to be a match for the Chief.

Yeah, I noticed that as well, was very worried before. but he sounds decent now. MC however was poor in this, the lines weren't great to begin with but the voice acting did it no favours either. Sounds good in the games though.

Anyone else think Spartans look a bit silly in live action, they never look right, proportions, materials or something. If they ever do a TV series or film, I think the suit needs to complemented or done mostly with CGI. I understand prop budgets are an issue and they do well with what they have but nothing beats the look, movement of MC or Spartans in CGI cutscenes like Starry Night, Halo 4 intro etc.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I really want them to bring back Halo 3 enemies design. Halo 4 covenant didnt feel good enough. Was a step back imo. Elites and bruts design is awesome in H3.

There are some other II's kicking around. Fred, Kelly, and Linda all made it, plus a handful of others.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
The latest audio journal refutes the clone of John's death. They guy says he finds a physical record the claims John died at age 6 or at the age John was kidnapped. However John's clone was specifically recorded as being alive by his teacher and friends up to around age 12 in 6th grade; one day he disappeared after a Covenant attack.
All this tells us is that the clone died within a year. There is already a short story that confirms this; Chief meets a soldier in New Mombasa who has a picture of them as children on her tablet (which he remembers) and she mentions that the boy in the picture died not too long after it was taken.

It's possible that this is being retconned, but the most likely explanation is that the teacher is an ONI plant, what with the interview being pre-arranged and his answers providing the perfect origin story for ONI's purposes (no kidnappings, casts the rebels in a bad light etc...).

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Calling it now, Locke buddies up with Arbie to track down MC under the pretence of wanting to bring MC 'back into the fold' (but in reality he just wants to bring him to ONI for testing/etc.). When they find him Locke kills Arbie and this pisses off MC who eventually has a 1:1 faceoff with Locke, beating him to absolute shit.

I'm not someone that read the books or anything so please fill me in if there is a piece of lore that really debunks this but for the first time in forever I'm not buying in to the Halo hype and that is pretty crazy for me. The reason being is this whole spectacle surrounding Locke and MC seems so cliche. MC is obviously not the bad guy and they are going to try and make us really like Locke so that they eventually come to the TRUTH together and now we have an Arbiter, Chief situation. Which just doesn't sound compelling in anyway to me. That said If there is a chance we play as a guy that is going to be an adversarial arc the whole way through, well that would be incredible and pretty unprecedented but knowing 343 and their work so far I don't have that kind of confidence.

Calling it now, Locke buddies up with Arbie to track down MC under the pretence of wanting to bring MC 'back into the fold' (but in reality he just wants to bring him to ONI for testing/etc.). When they find him Locke kills Arbie and this pisses off MC who eventually has a 1:1 faceoff with Locke, beating him to absolute shit.

This would be awesome.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

I want hand to hand battle :p

ONI rigged the interviews, those are fake, thus the "teacher" telling Ben that "John vanished at the age of 12" is not real. John's clone died very shortly after the real John was abducted and replaced, the journalist found that in the documents (at this point he does not know about the clone thing yet).

Mitch

Banned
I'm okay with this.

If they kill off the Arbiter or Shipmaster I will flip my shit. If Shipmaster isn't in this game, I will flip my shit.

Where the fuck is Shipmaster? 343i what the fuck?

BraXzy

The death at age 6 is the clone.

I'm thinking the people Giraud interviews are plants by ONI. Doesn't he mention it was all the perfect origin story, until he finds out the record of death? It was meant to be a simple fluff piece on Master Chief as a hero. ONI would be supplying the info so the truth (child kidnapping etc) wasnt revealed.

Except Giruad is more resourceful then that, and realises somethings not adding up when he looks again.

This is what I don't get. if they planted the clones with the I tention that they die a year in, and that happened and people remember it. Why would ONI set up an interview with someone lying about him boxing at age 12. Surely they'd realise someone would know the facts about a standout kid who died young?

I guess it is just the whole They're trying to cover up the Spartan programs origins and paint a fake story but I still feel like it doesn't quite make sense.

What I'm really confused about is. John is kidnapped and replaced at age 6 so every account thereafter is recalling memories from the flash clone. So why is he listed as dead at age 6?

If he was replaced in the night no one would have noticed. Where does the death come from?

Okay. He was taken aged 6 and replaced with a flash clone. The flash clone died shortly after, hence the death report.

So why are people talking like he was alive aged 12, boxing and shit like that?

Because they're plants from ONI to form a story that isn't true.

Make sense?

The only person that was telling the truth in the interviews was Ellie and the Innie dude.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Why should I have to pay for £15 of support material just to understand a £55 video game?
You are not asking to understand the video game itself, but get to know the expanded universe. The video game tells you nothing about John, even his name isnt dropped til the ending of Halo 3. You always had to read the novels to understand what happens in the universe and not just around John.

This is what I don't get. if they planted the clones with the I tention that they die a year in, and that happened and people remember it. Why would ONI set up an interview with someone lying about him boxing at age 12. Surely they'd realise someone would know the facts about a standout kid who died young?

I guess it is just the whole They're trying to cover up the Spartan programs origins and paint a fake story but I still feel like it doesn't quite make sense.
The UNSC/ONI had to set up a backstory about John, because people asked questions about him after the events on earth. According to their story John was kidnapped by the rebells at age of 12. So they needed some sources for interviews that can back up that false story. But Giraud managed to find people who knew the real John, like Ellie. The interview with her was not arranged by ONI.

A QTE 1:1 battle a la The Order?

;_;

I can almost see the story beats of the whole thing playing out.

Locke hunts MC, finds MC, MC explains what's really going on, both work together, game over, epic moment to set up the joint fight in Halo 6.

Surprise me 343.
Hate to break it to you but you're about 99% dead-on with that assumption I'd say.

BraXzy

The UNSC/ONI had to set up a backstory about John, because people asked questions about him after the events on earth. According to their story John was kidnapped by the rebells at age of 12. So they needed some sources for interviews that can back up that false story. But Giraud managed to find people who knew the real John, like Ellie. The interview with her was not arranged by ONI.

I suppose I forget the general population of the Halo universe didn't have the same perspective as we have through the war. It's easy to forget that we know exactly what has happened. I'm really enjoying this outsider perspective angle.

When Halo 4 released, I purchased the limited edition 360. Ended up a little disappointed with the game, especially the MP aspect.

Now with 5 coming out, I may think about picking up the MCC Xbone bundle closer to October, or maybe after E3 depending on what they announce. From the way GAF has been discussing the game, it seems like 5 will turn out to be a lot better than 4 story wise.

The idea of playing as both Locke and MC is something I am on board with, since I liked playing as the Arbiter in 2.

Honestly the story is still a complete mystery...
It is an interesting plot, but we will have to see how it turns out.

But the MP we know is a whole lot better than Halo 4. They have made a ton of changes to get back to that super competitive arena feel, but with a lot of new tricks that require a lot of skill to use properly.

Anyways, I have been trying to tell people that Halo 4 is not the best judge of what 343i can do....it was their very first game as a studio, and they were in a state of constant growth throughout the development cycle....from a team of a couple dozen to 300+ people in just 3.5 short years...

Now that they have some experience working together, and have a full team from the start, Halo 5 should be much better developed, and give us a good Idea of just what they are capable of.

Mitch

Banned
Honestly the story is still a complete mystery...
It is an interesting plot, but we will have to see how it turns out.

But the MP we know is a whole lot better than Halo 4. They have made a ton of changes to get back to that super competitive arena feel, but with a lot of new tricks that require a lot of skill to use properly.

Anyways, I have been trying to tell people that Halo 4 is not the best judge of what 343i can do....it was their very first game as a studio, and they were in a state of constant growth throughout the development cycle....from a team of a couple dozen to 300+ people in just 3.5 short years...

Now that they have some experience working together, and have a full team from the start, Halo 5 should be much better developed, and give us a good Idea of just what they are capable of.
I still have complete faith in 343. I watched a good amount of beta footage, and it looks promising.

I suppose I forget the general population of the Halo universe didn't have the same perspective as we have through the war. It's easy to forget that we know exactly what has happened. I'm really enjoying this outsider perspective angle.
Yeah, but I hope that the huntthetruth thing does deep enough to give us something now. That john was replaced by a clone which died early is nothing new, it was told in the Fall of Reach novel 10+years ago. I'm more interested in what the whole traitor thing is based on.

Really hope there's a big twist behind that Locke vs Chief thing that will blow our mind, and not just the obvious "ONI lied to Locke, John tells him the truth, they become bros" thing. But on the other side it's cool that all our informations are about that traitor conflict while what John is actually doing and what is attacking the colonies is in the dark.
343i should really look at their vidocs this time to not spoil the ending again.

There were a fair amount of CGI cutscenes in Halo 4, made by Blur. Particularly Spartan Ops, but the first and last cutscenes of the Halo 4 campaign was CGI.

But yeah, Halo 4's in engine cutscenes - and graphics in general - were really impressive.

Oh, yeah, for Spartan Ops definitely. I was referring to the main game itself though.

I'm not someone that read the books or anything so please fill me in if there is a piece of lore that really debunks this but for the first time in forever I'm not buying in to the Halo hype and that is pretty crazy for me. The reason being is this whole spectacle surrounding Locke and MC seems so cliche. MC is obviously not the bad guy and they are going to try and make us really like Locke so that they eventually come to the TRUTH together and now we have an Arbiter, Chief situation. Which just doesn't sound compelling in anyway to me. That said If there is a chance we play as a guy that is going to be an adversarial arc the whole way through, well that would be incredible and pretty unprecedented but knowing 343 and their work so far I don't have that kind of confidence.

This would be awesome.

Yeah, I am not sure....
Nightfall's ending suggest that Locke will end up sacrificing his life (eventually) for a cause that is greater than himself, but the VA said that he will be in the next several Halo games, so we know he won't die in Halo 5.

Anyways, I hope your wrong, but wouldn't be surprised if you right. I think that where this gets interesting is what part the Arbiter will play in all of this.

Oh, yeah, for Spartan Ops definitely. I was referring to the main game itself though.

Makes me wish they would make campaign at 30fps to better the graphics.

Halo 4 was great, but with weaker HW and 60fps, they are going to have a lot of trouble getting it to look anywhere near as good as something like UC4.

Ushay

Lock trailer has twice as more views than MC. Noooooo, this isn't happening

Probably because it was part 1?

Anyway I'm super hyped now for this. 2015 is shaping up nicely for me. Got Witcher coming up, then Pillars Eternity later this year when I build my PC, and then Halo!

Ushay

Halo 4 was great, but with weaker HW and 60fps, they are going to have a lot of trouble getting it to look anywhere near as good as something like UC4.

These are 2 entirely different games, they don't need to look as good as each other. I wouldn't worry, Halo 5 will look incredible.

343i did an outstanding job with Halo 4. I dont think graphic is the part that we should worry about in a 343i Halo.

Uncharted is more a big Michael Bay script event mixed with shooting mechanics, I dont think a comparison seems reasonable

singhr1

There were a fair amount of CGI cutscenes in Halo 4, made by Blur. Particularly Spartan Ops, but the first and last cutscenes of the Halo 4 campaign was CGI.

But yeah, Halo 4's in engine cutscenes - and graphics in general - were really impressive.

Blur did not do the Spartan Ops CGI, that was Axis Animation. They also did the first H5 CGI teaser we saw two years ago.

RoKKeR

Yeah I'm interested to see how the final game looks. 60fps is a must have after playing the beta but at the same time Halo 4 was straight up eye candy. Should be interesting.

LordOfChaos

Was the girl in the interview supposed to be a plant too? He found her independently though. If the real John Clone died at 6, she should have known that.

lefox360

Banned

i think 343 is more worried to gain acient halo fans trust that was maybe betrayed with the design philosofy of "cod"ify the level design instead of going to its halo1/3 open levels/discovery roots. although they brought a giant leap in pure visual fidelity.

That is what may and should worry 343i, than some weird nonsensical idea of them trying to outdo naughty dog title for title? Even Naughty dog must be nervous going how much downgraded visuals and fidelity(did we say 60fps? oh we always meant 30 fps) claims were mad by a lot of uncharted fans from the "realtime trailer representative of the game"... to the real E3 gameplay demo.

Skele7on

Banned
Yeah honestly if it looked like Halo 4 at 60fps but played like Halo 3 it would be one of the greatest shooters of all time

amen.

Damn I hate the horrible path it's gone down, I mean the beta was alright, but jeez Halo 3 was simply GOAT, wish MCC had a dedicated MLG playlist for H3 I would play nothing but that.

Also guys, just imagine you play the whole of Halo 5 and the last thing you have to do is press R2 to kill John, that would be the point I quit the game and never go back to story, I just couldn't kill him.

Top Bottom