• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 will launch in 2014.

Publishing great new IP's is smart. Throwing money at "problems" (aka: competitors playing games you want to keep all for yourself) is business. And not particularly good faith business, at that, especially for the developers.

I'm curious how much of a partner MS is with Respawn in the game's development, though. MS seems to do good work with their partners (Epic, Bizarre Creations, Crytek
fuck the haters
, etc...), though EA is publishing this time.

I wish it didn't.

Halo 4's quality was questionable, even with a 3 year development cycle.

The Halo franchise is in it's lowest point. That's a fact.

If Halo 5 disappoints, it'll be over. They need to make sure the game is FANTASTIC, with amazing graphics, multiplayer that the community wants (no COD rip-off again) and feature complete... Which I think is going to be REALLY tough on 343i, specially on 2y dev cycle.

In what terms? Even with a short campaign, it was my favorite. It was a bit linear for my taste, but it still had that Halo feel to it. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

But what do I know about things being fun, I like AAA games and think that Black Ops 2 had the best CoD campaign out of the entire series(not even sarcasm).

Hindle

Banned
Yeah, this game is being cranked out way too fast. Essentially less than two years of production from a company that just finished Halo 4 a year ago more or less?

KuGsj.gif

Come on, MS.

Based of past History, 343 would have began production in 2010/2011 for this Halo game. Concurrent development is something MS has been doing for a while.

Had no doubt.

Hoping the in game trailers get me hyped.

Halo 5's announcement trailer is the first Halo trailer ever not to get me uber hyped. As someone who read all the books, beat each title countless times, etc, that is a problem.

Plus I need a reason to use my Xbox One other than Blu Ray/Netflix voice commands that work 30% of the time.

Did you not buy any games for it?

Lowest point in terms of what?

Everything, really.

Well, I guess everything but "rave critical reviews". But those aren't exactly doing anything about Halo 4's disastrously low matchmaking population.

Yeah, this game is being cranked out way too fast. Essentially less than two years of production from a company that just finished Halo 4 a year ago more or less?
To be fair, the bulk of 343 may have been working on the new game for longer than that. Halo 4's multiplayer seemed vastly unchanged since they had shown it at E3/etc prior to the game's launch, and it sounded like both Forge and a lot of the multiplayer maps (including most of the DLC) were outsourced to Certain Affinity. On the development side, large swaths of 343 may have already shifted gears to the next-gen title before Halo 4 even launched. Though it's hard to tell how down-to-the-wire they were working on campaign.

Relevance.

People just don't give a shit about the franchise as much as they used too.

I knew the franchise was headed toward the shitter the MOMENT they let Karen Traviss fuck with the universe and butcher a ridiculous amount of characters. She couldn't separate her own personal feelings from the context of the universe.

Halo 4 only confirmed this.

Grief.exe

Wonder if they will back track on 60fps announcement if visuals aren't up to snuff or can't hit 1080p.

If they are targeting 60 FPS, than you won't see 1080p. Something has to give and both are relatively high cost in terms of performance.

I highly doubt they will want to target 60 FPS at the end of the day, Microsoft will want its exclusive titles to have the best image quality.

Also, yeah, Relevance is definitely a huge point. In the post-Modern Warfare era, it's no longer the premiere FPS franchise. But Halo's already dissuaded a lot of its existing dedicated fanbase. There are a lot of people who bought a 360 for Halo 3 who have absolutely no interest in buying an XBO just for Halo anymore.

Why wait months just to reveal the game is called Halo 5 like the E3 clip originally was going to show?

halo-5.jpg

Yeah, its a weird choice. I guess like some have suggested it is simply to make people only associate the game with Xbox One and not expect it on the 360..? Or something.

It would be weird if it gets a subtitle, or skips a number entirely.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
If they are targeting 60 FPS, than you won't see 1080p. Something has to give and both are relatively high cost in terms of performance.

I highly doubt they will want to target 60 FPS at the end of the day, Microsoft will want its exclusive titles to have the best image quality.

It's already been announced at 60fps and Frankie has had a few posts on GAF referring to it. No way it's not releasing at 60fps.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Did you not buy any games for it?

Forza and Ryse, +Killer Instinct if that counts.

Beat Ryse the first week and enjoyed it for what it was, was very disappointment in Forza 5 in comparison to 4, and Killer Instinct felt like a demo to me in comparison to every other F2P game I like to play.

Thought about getting DR3, but the demo couldn't sell me on the two tries you are limited to.

Haven't actually inserted a game in my Xbox One in over a month. Which has never happened to me before with a new console. Bring on Halo.

Grief.exe

It's already been announced at 60fps and Frankie has had a few posts on GAF referring to it. No way it's not releasing at 60fps.

I know, I'm just having trouble believing Microsoft wants to go that route.

Don't get me wrong, it will make for the better game, I mainly play on PC so I value the high framerate gameplay. It just seems that they obviously want to court the dude bro or the younger male audience (14-18). Screenshots sell games to that particular demographic.

You could argue Call of Duty, but that series sells and holds players despite reviews, screenshots, etc.

Fotos

Had no doubt.

Hoping the in game trailers get me hyped.

Halo 5's announcement trailer is the first Halo trailer ever not to get me uber hyped. As someone who read all the books, beat each title countless times, etc, that is a problem.

Plus I need a reason to use my Xbox One other than Blu Ray/Netflix voice commands that work 30% of the time.

wtf? they honestly work for me like 90% of the time. Probably more.

Forza and Ryse, +Killer Instinct if that counts.

Beat Ryse the first week and enjoyed it for what it was, was very disappointment in Forza 5 in comparison to 4, and Killer Instinct felt like a demo to me in comparison to every other F2P game I like to play.

Thought about getting DR3, but the demo couldn't sell me on the two tries you are limited to.

Haven't actually inserted a game in my Xbox One in over a month. Which has never happened to me before with a new console. Bring on Halo.

Play more KI. After 60 hours or so, it's my fav launch title for both consoles. Also give Max a shot. Great game.

farisr

This new Halo is promised to run at 60fps, that's going to take some impressive engineering. Halo should be 30fps anyway, it's deviating even further away from the franchise. Some very strange decisions being made.

Don't agree with "should be 30fps anyway", but if going for 60fps causes the splitscreen modes to be cut out or the player count to be dropped down, then yeah, I'd rather have 30fps over that, and in that case Halo should be 30fps.

bidguy

Banned
probably keeping the 5 a secret so people wont think its coming for the 360 i dunno

they will probably show it off at a big event, this time with a 5

spring showcase i hope

Yeah, its a weird choice. I guess like some have suggested it is simply to make people only associate the game with Xbox One and not expect it on the 360..? Or something.

It would be weird if it gets a subtitle, or skips a number entirely.

That's the thing. It was really important for them to call "Halo 4" exactly that. Reach didn't sell quite as well. It wasn't a numbered entry. As far as the mass market goes, that decision with Halo 4 was a big deal. So it would be kinda weird for Microsoft to pull a Nintendo and call the game "Halo Xbox One" or just give it a different subtitle as opposed to naming it "Halo 5".

From Microsoft's point of view, also remember that Halo 4 was a success. Great sales and critical reception, and plenty of people probably conned into a season pass. It's a completely unknown factor exactly how much damage has been done by the very poor long-term reception Halo 4's multiplayer received. But, as of now, you'd think that there's very little reason for Microsoft not to want the next game to be called Halo 5.

And I'm with Grief et all. 1080p claims aside, since I no longer trust everything that comes out of Frankie's mouth (well, or hands). I think, ultimately, visual fidelity is going to be much more important than 60FPS, and you likely can't have both.

TheOddOne

KuGsj.gif

Come on, MS.
It is not uncommon for studios to have multiple running projects. Take for example: Killzone 3 started production in July 2009 and Shadowfall in December 2010. Even while production was ramping up on KZ3, Shadowfall was also being worked on.

jWhf0TkwR0O2R.png

jem0208

This new Halo is promised to run at 60fps, that's going to take some impressive engineering. Halo should be 30fps anyway, it's deviating even further away from the franchise. Some very strange decisions being made.

I knew people would complain about 60fps.

Called it months ago.

Gestault

Based on the image quality Ryse at 900p giving nice edge definition with desirably softer blending for unwanted aliasing, I'd almost definitely bet on that. That at 60 fps for gameplay, at 30 for cinematics would be pretty ideal, assuming their technical framework is in order.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I know, I'm just having trouble believing Microsoft wants to go that route.

It will make for the better game, but they obviously want to court the dude bro or the younger male audience (14-18). Screenshots sell games to that age group.

You could argue Call of Duty, but that series sells and holds players despite reviews, screenshots, etc.

Halo doesn't need to rely on pretty screens to sell. No denying that people love pretty games though.

I'd like to also mention that 343 and Halo are Microsoft's most important "properties". You know 343 has had a long time with the Xbox One hardware. I'm expecting the next Halo to be a huge leap over other next gen games in not only graphical fidelity but also feature set.

Gestault

I think, ultimately, visual fidelity is going to be much more important than 60FPS, and you likely can't have both.

If we're talking purely about screen resolution, that wasn't the case in the previous-gen Halo games (before HAlo 4 at least). If you just mean overall visual impression though, I'd agree so long as player input is still as responsive as it's been in the past.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope they make sure it's polished. Currently this is the first mainline Halo to not have a 3 year development cycle.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Halo doesn't need to rely on pretty screens to sell. No denying that people love pretty games though.

I'd like to also mention that 343 and Halo are Microsoft's most important "properties". You know 343 has had a long time with the Xbox One hardware. I'm expecting the next Halo to be a huge leap over other next gen games in not only graphical fidelity but also feature set.

Feature set is going to be important. Halo 4 couldn't even match Reach and was severely disappointing features wise.

The multiplayer was a disgrace to the series. They really need to do something special to being that lost audience back, doubling down and copying other games even more just won't cut it. They need to let Halo be Halo.

Enthus

Just give me 1-3 and ODST on Steam and I will consider myself done with Halo. Microsoft wouldn't be losing any money by doing that.

Korosenai

So two years after releasing Halo 4, they're going to release a new Halo on a next gen console? This should end well....

Hindle

Banned
It is not uncommon for studios to have multiple running projects. Take for example: Killzone 3 started production in July 2009 and Shadowfall in December 2010. Even while production was ramping up on KZ3, Shadowfall was also being worked on.

jWhf0TkwR0O2R.png

Both Halo Reach and Halo 4 were in development at the same time as well. As I said before, I think Halo 5 would have started development sometime in 2010 or 2011.

Grief.exe

I hope they make sure it's polished. Currently this is the first mainline Halo to not have a 3 year development cycle.

So two years after releasing Halo 4, they're going to release a new Halo on a next gen console? This should end well....

I think people forget that while the actual programmers are in crunch time, the artists and game designers don't have as much to do.
Generally during this period, they start work on the next game. More recently, a portion of those teams will split off and work on DLC.

Going by the player numbers, I'm sure the DLC for Halo 4 did not perform to expectations.

If we're talking purely about screen resolution, that wasn't the case in the previous-gen Halo games (before HAlo 4 at least). If you just mean overall visual impression though, I'd agree so long as player input is still as responsive as it's been in the past.

True. But we're talking about Halo 4, where extra visuals were squeezed out of the 360 in exchange for performance dips.

I guess truthfully it's hard to tell if they'll go one direction or the other, since 343 only has one game under their belt. Halo 4 was a large success in the eyes of some and a massive disappointment in the eyes of others. It's entirely unknown how they'll choose to respond with the next game (though the only thing I know is after H4 and their stewardship of Reach, I'm not trusting a single thing that comes from 343 until the new game is actually in the hands of players).

Top Bottom